Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=93fFvc7rbrE
youtube.com/watch?v=VKgyH9k1CSM
i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article3887371.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Felipe-Massa.png
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3b/f2/fc/3bf2fc47cf1dfc2d79976c97c93140ba.jpg
twitter.com/redbullracing/status/725950735557386240
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

thats coo

Incredible? What is this, some manner of horseless carriage?

can't blame them

who wants to take shrapnel at 180mph

not me

especially when these guys value their face for endorsements

and the next stop is a completely closed cockpit

which will be badass

and we'll finally realize the true potential of f1

more downforce

>open wheel
>true potential

>and we'll finally realize the true potential of f1

every manufacturer has admitted closed wheel is the way to go due to all that air swirling around

but open wheel is sexy and interesting, but obsolete

so what is a man to do

okay so maybe that is a big exaggeration

I like this pic...very nice...

>big

even hub caps are b&
it will not stop anything
but hopefully it can deflect incoming projectiles
another problem is when two open wheels touch

good lord, that looks like shit.

your picture isn't even related, i think you're retarded

that was just a prototype being run on an installation lap in practice

nothing has been homologated yet

This will be a thing until somebody gets trapped because of it. Then the FIA will wave their hands around in the air and pretend there is no way such an occurrence could have been foreseen. Next they will say the teams are too irresponsible to develop canopies themselves and the part will be standardized.

If we end up looking like this, or the RedBull X cars I am all for it.

that's true

open wheel is archaic

I think everyone is well aware of the limitations and risks associated with these

the visibility issues with red bull's design have been spoken of openly, mostly that the pit lane exit lights and the grid start lights are obscured from the cockpit, and that visibility of flag points may be dangerously limited, especially in the wet

>I think everyone is well aware of the limitations and risks associated with these
When something goes wrong, the people who have regulatory responsibility will suddenly forget they were aware.

The FIA and FOM are uber crooked.

I'm guessing there is an aero benefit to running the RB style versus the Ferrari halo. If they end up being a little faster this GP, expect to see every team copying them at the next GP.

they aren't running it in the race

they were just trialling it on ricciardo's car in practice 1, in the same way that raikkonen trialed the ferrari halo

okay wait up

the fia doesn't want anyone dying during a race

which is why no one has died in years

so go fuck yourself

if we have one incident where someone gets even just a concussion from some scrap, we would have closed cockpits in a small amount of time

so yeah, they want money, but they only make money if no one dies and they can hold up these personas

my bad I thought I had read they were actually going to run it in the race.

I want formula one to be like trackmania

any big change like that would take at least a season to get fixed into rule

turbochargers were in talks for years before they became the norm

Didn't somebody die at Suzaka quite recently? He hit a crane or something that was removing another car.

They can and have made many mid season changes, especially when the perception of safety is involved.

You have to look at it the other way. If somebody gets hurt this year in a way that could have been prevented had they moved faster, they (FIA) end up looking like retards.

bianchi died at suzuka in 2014, although that wasn't the catalyst for this

pretty certain the idea has been revived due to max wilson being killed in indycar last year by an airborne nosecone hitting him in the head

proof or gtfo

>big change like that

no, no changes like partial canopies have ever been implemented

unless you can prove otherwise, you're an idiot

>max wilson

I meant justin wilson

he hit a crane

he died 9 months later

but, tragic :(

while not technically true, he essentially died the moment he hit the crane

>1994
>After Senna's fatal crash at Imola, several rule changes were introduced to slow the cars. In Spain, front wing endplates and rear diffusers were reduced in size. For the following race in Canada, the effectiveness of the airbox was reduced by means of holes cut into the engine cover, resulting in less power. From Germany onwards, a rule was introduced which is still in place as of 2015: a 10mm wooden plank was affixed to the underside of every car to reduce ground effect advantages, whilst also forcing an increase in ride height. Wear was permitted on the plank up to 1mm by the end of the race.

You didn't even know about Bianchi, I am not going to put any more effort into unfucking you.

It's like saying Senna died in the hospital. Bianchi ended when his head hit the crane. His body was kept alive through artificial means but his brain was destroyed beyond any hope of recovery at the moment of impact.

don't forget that dude who got hit in the face with a spring
or the other guy who got his head squished by a wheel
this kind of thing has been in the works for a while

Proof right here

>other guy who got his head squished in by a wheel

Kek'd

youtube.com/watch?v=93fFvc7rbrE

was pretty shit

dude was only 18

This has been an issue for decades

warning, gif is of a track marshal getting hit by a F1 car at speed.

>The collision that ended Pryce’s life was shockingly violent. The pit straight at Kyalami rose to the crest of a hill, before descending down a straight into Turn 1. Zorzi’s car was pulled over just at the crest of the hill, and Tom Pryce, who was barrelling down the straight at full speed, crested that brow to find Jansen Van Vuuren running across the track. With nowhere to go, Pryce collided with the marshal, who was thrown to the side of the track, a mangled unrecognisable bloody mess.

>Pryce might have survived the impact, if it hadn’t been for the fire extinguisher the marshal was carrying. The extinguisher struck his helmet with enough force to almost decapitate him, and that was the end of Tom Pryce. His car continued down the track, colliding with Jacques Laffite’s Ligier, before coming to a halt at Turn 1. The unrecognisable remains of the marshal were identified only once all the track marshals were assembled at race end, and a process of elimination determined the poor young man’s fate.

>marshals crossing the track on the blind side of a crest, under full speed racing conditions

this is why race organisers are so strict with hot track rules nowadays

don't fuck with a hot track

No screen would have done shit to save Bianchi in that one

the cockpit protection isn't being introduced for accidents like that

the only way to help with accidents like that is for race control to use proper procedure, and for drivers to follow track flags correctly

virtual safety car was introduced in the wake of this

Dude hit with the spring was Filipe Massa...desu it's hard to say if either the canopy from RB or Ferarris halo would have prevented any injury...

I posted a gif, I never said it would. Why are you so salty about safety?

>virtual safety car was introduced in the wake of this

All the more reason for not needing screens, this along with the attempted and failed push to get women drivers in f1 is a clear agenda to turn it into a sport of wimps and not a sport of men that we had up until 20 years ago

The powers that be are trying to put a big dirty vagina on F1

the idea behind the screens is for airborne debris, which a virtual safety car would do nothing to address

while making the sport overly wimpy isn't a great look, having drivers rendered braindead trackside isn't a great look either

If something is flying down the track just call a virtual safety car.

It's like you're not even trying to shitpost.

youtube.com/watch?v=VKgyH9k1CSM
it must take some strong bad luck for this to happen
i4.mirror.co.uk/incoming/article3887371.ece/ALTERNATES/s615/Felipe-Massa.png
s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/3b/f2/fc/3bf2fc47cf1dfc2d79976c97c93140ba.jpg

at more poorly organised events with less professional staff panic does break out
and you have track staff running around like chicken

its quite hard to accept nothing can be done at that moment and just sit back when you see someone getting closer to death every second

Robert "ouch my hand" kubica...kek

Better than that halo thing that ferrari put out.

>if something is flying down the track just call a virtual safety car
>in the event of a crash, debris is strewn everywhere
>implying the presence of a safety car will affect the drivers' ability to avoid flying debris

It will because it enforces lower speed and therefore greater chance not to drive into debris in the first place.

>greater chance not to drive into debris in the first place
How would you be able to eliminate the chance of debris hitting the driver in the event that a crash has happened just before they get to the corner (ie, multi car incident happening at the first corner kicking debris all over the place, collision between 2 cars on a straight with a driver right behind)
The screen isn't in place for debris sitting on track.
Besides, even though the drivers have excellent reaction times, chances are there is nothing that they would be able to do when a projectile is hurtling back at them at speeds over 200km/h when they are going 200km/h

It doesn't matter. If they went closed wheel the cars would get "too fast", so they'd mandate four bangers instead of V6s and the sport would just be even worse.

>even though the drivers have excellent reaction times, chances are there is nothing that they would be able to do when a projectile is hurtling back at them at speeds over 200km/h when they are going 200km/h
Have you seen the matrix? Christ you are a fucking idiot!

Tom Pryce, still the only ever Welshman to have made it in F1.

Never gets the recognition he deserves desu

Red Bull canopy looks like it would do a pretty good job.

twitter.com/redbullracing/status/725950735557386240

Ricciardo's right mirror broke off during Q3.
I'm wondering if this was caused by running the canopy earlier?

>$10,000,000/season budget
>no rules outside basic standards for driver safety
>an actually interesting sport

pick all 3

>Ran the canopy at 10am on a Friday
>Did another session without it
>Then another session, on Saturday
>Got through Q1 and Q2 without it
>Right mirror breaks off during Q3, about 30 hours later

Who cares? F1 has been getting less and less entertaining with every season. I'm not even watching this year.

> Implying the canopy can only be responsible if the mirror immediately falls off.

amen brother

and bring back group b

bump for justice

Can-am was all that but 10,000,000/year budget right near the oil crisis had a rabbi's chance in the oven of lasting

bitch, youre not even related, cunt

trump 2016

>Vettel out in lap one
IT'S A CONSPIRACY

do you think vettle will murder him?

Nigger how dumb are you?

As soon as you go unlimited rules for vehicle construction, the engineers will build you essentially low-flying airplanes. With engine strengths nowadays, that's easily possible. The issue is that no diver in the world can control this for shit without killing himself. Not even God-Driver of Mankind Walter Röhrl could entirely control the Audi Quattro S1 and subsequently crashed it.

That was over thirty years ago. Do you really think engine tech got any worse in the meanwhile? We could be going full F-Zero by now... including death toll. And nobody wants that. Human limitations throttle these racing sports, not mechanical or regulatory ones. The regulations are just put in place to save human lives. All of them.

Formula E is far more entertaining.

the problem now, is if a tyre hits it, it's going to bounce off in a completely random direction with even force velocity.

It's just shifting a problem that will never be solved with thin, open cockpit cars

It makes sense. After knocking myself stupid back before xmas, I now realise that head injuries are serious business.

They should, however, just go for a full closed cockpit to go with the safety cell. Make it a proper bubble canopy like a fighter jet, and run it back to the engine hump. Anything the driver won't be able to see can be opaque with more advertising on it.

>trapped by the canopy
hardly an issue, slap some explosive bolts there and design it properly and it would be easier to get out than the current cars.
but on the other hand that would add to the weight and It's not like race car drivers are all that expensive.... yeah, there will be deaths.

Didnt realise Tom Pryce was Welsh. My brother was named after him. You really dont see him talked about verry oftern.

>Explosive bolts
Pretty sure hydroplanes run full enclosed cockpits that just break away without explosives in the event of a crash or flip, F1 could probably steal most of the design from them.

no idea about that, probably pros n cons with either design.

>explosive bolts
More debris! More little bits of flying metal! Explosives in the cars in case of a fire!

No. Nobody's going to get 'trapped' by anything unless they land upside-down. And then you can just tip the car back over by hand because it's so light, or just lift it.
This is almost as dumb as the 'trapped in the car by the seatbelt' meme that caused airbags to be added to cars.

From a cost standpoint, copying the boat design and using fasteners designed to shear means no need for sensors to control the explosive bolts, just a suitable impact breaks away the cockpit.
OTOH, if the car crashes on the track, debris bounces around, while if a hydroplane crashes or flips they usually start sinking, so it's not like there is as much debris to avoid that the cockpit won't realistically protect from.

errr nah

The explosives won't be like fucking TNT or something. They'll be just enough to blow the bolts out of place, so not much at all. Not to mention the fact that nobody'll be jumping at the opportunity to flip a flaming F1 car over by hand.
>captcha: select all images with a bus

Shear bolts will never happen because you loose all your protection after the first significant impact.