What are your fondest memories of Kmart and Sears?

What are your fondest memories of Kmart and Sears?

Can they be saved?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=2xwUuSM06xQ
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

>tfw remember being 5 years old and my mom taking me to Kmart to buy Legos.

>LADIES AND GENTLEMEN, THE KMART BLUE LIGHT SPECIAL IS FLASHING IN THE MENS' BUTTPICKER DEPARTMENT RIGHT NOW WHERE SPOGGET BRAND BUTTPICKERS ARE CURRENTLY UP TO 90% OFF!!!

It's too late to save them.
this is what happens when you let a /pol/ tard run your business.

What makes a company like Target able to continue operations and but makes Kmart go down hill?

What is wrong with the fucking board? How can you keep somebody this is losing money year after year after year?

>What makes a company like Target able to continue operations and but makes Kmart go down hill?
Target didn't put a retarded conservative conspiracy theorist in charge.

>What are your fondest memories of Kmart and Sears?

That Hills was better and I don't understand why they went under first.

Because they're all slash-n-burn libertarians. Locusts, swarming from host to host.

What Lampert/Lamprey is doing is siphoning off Sears' real estate assets to his own property holding company. That's why they haven't owned the old Sears Tower for years and why they close another round of stores on a regular basis. Meanwhile, they've turned the Craftsman brand into just another Chinkshit label so there's no reason whatsoever to shop at Sears anymore. And it's all reflected in their share price, trading for $12 where it was once nearly $200. The company has no future as a retailer and it's just about out of land holdings.

Investment in facilities and other improvements.

Most K-Marts and Sears have not received any sort of major renovation since the '80s.

nailed it

Kmart had one of the best commercials ever:

youtube.com/watch?v=2xwUuSM06xQ

Sears was the shit when it was selling Craftsman tools.

Removing the electronics department is hurting them.

I was probably too young or not born when kmart existed briefly in canada. I miss going to eatons for sears. Theyre opening a Nordstrom in the same spot as sears. Yuck

Just bought clothes at Kmart. Was super cheap, dickies ftw.

SHART
IN
MART

there's a bit more to it though I think.
Their reliance on brick and mortar stores is pretty ironic since Sears made their fortune almost entirely off of mail order. They were the Amazon.com of the 1800's. Somewhere they gave up the agility that comes with not having big box stores all over the place.

I don't think they want to recover. If anonymous faggots on the internets can see what they're doing wrong there's no reason to think they can't also.

I remember my mom buying me a Martha Stewart Christmas stocking there.

>Be 11 years old
>Summer, 1991
>Visiting grandmother in PA
>Gran's daily routine included going to the local K-mart (about 2 miles from house,) at 10 to hang out with her friends for an hour or two
>Yay, Mystic fruit drinks every morning!
>Night time
>Go to Wyoming Valley Mall
>Play vidya at the Jolly Time Arcade
>Hang out with same old folks
>630pm, went to the Cool Tomato (little snack bar attached to a store who's name I don't remember)
>7pm, went with Grandpa to Sears to catch the daily lotto numbers

As to "can they be saved?" No, not as we remember them. Their business model remained firmly 1980's until the early 00's, they still have supply chain issues, their facilities are far too old and outdated.

>That Hills was better and I don't understand why they went under first.

Smaller customer base, competing for the same retail dollars against industry giants like K-Mart, Walmart, technological failures (refused to take credit cards until 1988, did not introduce barcode scanners until 1989, being the very last mass-market retailer to do so.)

Combined with that, an IPO in 1987, and the 1990 mini-recession, there was no way they could avoid being crushed.

Irony of ironies for this thread, in 1991 they went through Chapter 11 and started a series of CEO swaps, beginning with Mike Bozic, a former Sears CEO.

Kmart has been running on life support for over 10 years now.

IMO, the main reason that Kmart hasn't thrived is a lack of real groceries. That's it. Wal-Mart expanded in the 90's, and once a Super Wal-Mart came to town, it provided both groceries AND regular department store items.

Sears has struggled because of e-commerce and a huge decline in mall culture. Nobody goes to indoor malls anymore, except for high-end clothing stores and food courts.

The older I get, the more I realize Target is has the exact feel of 90's Kmart. Current Kmart is just an empty shell, waiting to go out of business.

Both of those stores are relics from the pre-Internet/Super Wal-Mart expansion age.

Buying things on clearance there and selling them for a high price on eBay. And at one point I worked as a cashier at Sears. Had a bad drug problem and was high at work and a lot of bad shit happening in my life at the time and told someone to fuck off on the phone, then got fired. I wish I didn't though, it's a pretty comfy job if you drink the corporate kool aid compared to the food service shit I'm doing now. And you make bank off commission of credit cards I was really good at that