Camless Engine

Camless Engine
Chinese carmaker Qoros has joined Koenigsegg in demonstrating a camless engine. Rather than using a traditional camshaft to control an engine's valves, the QamFree motor uses electro-hydraulic-pneumatic actuators to provide precise control over each valve for more power and a 12 to 17 percent improvement in fuel economy.
gizmag.com/qoros-qamfree-camless-engine/43045/

>electro-hydraulic
What could possibly go wrong?

Fuel injectors are electro-hydraulic. What's your point?

>fuel-injectors are foolproof

>minor electrical fault
rip valves

>fuel injectors don't last over 100,000 miles in most cases

FUCK the Chinese. When do WE get it?

>yfw the chinese WILL dominatge the auto industry in the future

They're actually just electrical. They don't use the liquid to actuate. It's just an electromagnet and spring.

I wonder if this camfree engine is an interference engine. If it's non interference than an electrical fault would be no worse than a knock. Which on modern engines is nothing.

I wonder why china is the only one willing to risk working with this

Why are they called "electro-hydraulic-pneumatic actuators" then?

fiat already has one, you clueless pleb

>koenigsegg didn't fit it to their own car
wow what a surprise

>china is the only one willing
Have you not heard of Koenigsegg?? They have a pretty big reputation to uphold..

Why not we just no valves and 500 psi turbo 2 stroke

when we pay for it

lol no

They aren't

Hydraulically dampened electromagnetic valves for pneumatic applications.

Happy?

Lol no you haven't heard of them? They make some of the fastest, most expensive cars in the world..

The Multiair is not fully camless. The actuators only control the intake valves. Still costed them $100 million and ten years to make though kek

I've never been happy...

lol no they don't have a big reputation to uphold

Well, no. Or yes. I mean, they don't work without hydraulic pressure behind them. The themselves don't supply the pressure, but they do require the pressure to operate - as in, spray fuel.

A better example would be modern diesel injectors. Some of the trucks use injectors that are physically opened by oil pressure. As in, they're electronically TRIGGERED, but the heavy lifting/overcoming closing spring force is carried out by engine oil pressure.

Anyway, my badly explained point is that this isn't a new idea, and the same ideas are used very successfully and reliably in other applications.
Given that Toyota hasn't produced a petrol powered interference engine with a cam belt as long as I can think, I'm sure China will manage to make one for this.

You're retarded.

not even they use it yet

sorry for not being all starry eyed about your favourite car company user

Probably because they want to reduce their need for raw materials - camshafts, valve springs, etc.

I mean, maybe. How the fuck should I know? Because the time are changing and they want to own patents instead of violating them for a change?

This isn't opinion. This is totally objective. Do you know what that word means, faggot?

idiot

HAH nice comeback faggot.

I think it's because China is where the money in the world currently sits. They also (supposedly) have the fastest growing auto industry. Remember that both Saab and Faraday Futures are completely piggybacking off Chinese money. Ford, GM, and VW catering to the Chinese market exclusively shows how much influence they have now.

>this user asking if you've heard of the company mentioned in the OP
design engineer?

I knew you were a waste of time

Yeah well you still couldn't keep up a debate with me. Forfeiting like a true faggot.

because they have startup car companies out of the ass and startups gotta take some risks to get a rep and be able to sell their shit with enough margin to allow growth.
probably, i am not an economist just a layman.

This system was developed in Sweden by a company called Freevalve, not in China. Qoros is joining with them to put it in one of their concept vehicles. That's it.

go away china shill

we know you are literally a china shill, you always post this crap

>qamfree
Can't even spell it right.

Planes have been using electro-hydraulic fuel controls for decades

they seem to be fine

>tfw in 10 years we will all be driving chinese cars
Top Gear was right.

Fine in a Koenigsegg. Supercar engines are expected to be rebuilt every 5,000 miles. Not fine in a family sedan that's expected to last 100,000 miles.

What kind of monumental suck ass poverty teir piece of shit are you driving.

Muh Chrysler dog shit McGee SUV has 350000 mile old injectors that are behaving fine

>If applied to a current engine, it will provide 30 percent more power and torque, and up to 50 percent better economy. It's also lower and smaller than an engine with a camshaft. So, if built from scratch, a smaller displacement engine can have the power and efficiency to compete with larger engines.

Clearly a lie since there is no replacement for displacement.

My factory injectors are currently 311,000kms old and are holding up fine despite being told to compensate for running 2x the factory boost.

you already do :^)

what if they used the camless technology on a 5.7 litre sized engine?

Hasn't this been happening "soon" for at least like 5 years now?

Some retard with a 6.2L will claim their engine is still better.

Fuck off. My car is 100% italian.

PEZIO-ELECTRIC

they already have these and it sounds like someone is fucking tap dancing under the hood.