/emugen/ - Emulation General

emulation.gametechwiki.com/

Read the General problems FAQ before asking questions. If you still need help, post your specs (speccy screenshot), OS, emulator version number and details of what's wrong.

emulation.gametechwiki.com/index.php/General_problems_FAQ

Please contribute to the wiki if you discover any inaccuracies or have relevant information to append.

News:
Retroarch 1.3.6 is now out, with some new cores such as ParaLLEl (an LLE N64 emulator using the vulkan API) and Mednafen-Beetle hardware mode. Neither of them work particularly well at the moment - you have been warned.
Pocketstation emulator in the works.

Remember to submit bug reports on project githubs.

Other urls found in this thread:

libretro.com/index.php/nintendo-64-vulkan-low-level-emulator-parallel-pre-alpha-release/
youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E
ps2home.freeforums.net/thread/162/popstarter-13-wip-guide
psx-scene.com/forums/f19/new-reworked-hdl_dump-0-9-1-attempt-gain-full-access-hdd-over-network-113411/#post1056114
github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3935
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I miss him. He should've leveraged his meme status into money with a patreon, etc.

Well he tried Kickstarter once and failed spectacularly

KS is too much all or nothing, plus that was before he became a meme. Patreon is a more lenient "throw this guy a bone" system

He looks almost attractive in that bottom picture.

I really don't think there's such a thing as an inherently "ugly" human being, Just people that really don't know how to take care of themselves.

Man, I wish RA on Wii had some sort of compatibility with the PS3 controller. I'm not a big fan of the classic controller myself.

You should be able to use it through USB

Nintendont, SNES9xGX, VBAGX, FCEUGX, and Genesis Plus GX all support various USB controllers, DS3 included, so I find it hard to believe that RetroArch doesn't.

Hell, even if it turns out that it doesn't, just hop into the IRC and ask about it.

>I really don't think there's such a thing as an inherently "ugly" human being

What about those who were deformed on birth?

So I haven't followed emulation news for about a year, has anything worthwhile happened?
Like, some new emulator or core which makes a system finally able to emulate? Or anything else?

Well shit, tried it 2 months ago. I guess I should give it another try

I don't count freaks of nature as human beings

Yeah that's bullshit. I mean turtle would be passable if he just got a haircut and didn't always have that stupid look on his face, but there are some real hideous fucks out there.

I just booted up RA on my Wii and it didn't support my DS3 through USB. That's really fucked up because I used to have a build on my Wii U that did support it in the past.

Maybe it's a regression? Maybe I downloaded a build off GBATemp that was modified to support it? I honestly don't know what to tell you

Dunno. I remember really old versions having nice resolution settings that would never save but still would be available. Newer versions don't seem to have those settings and if I do the mistake to choose another input method, I'm left with an unusable emulator until I take out the SD and change the config file.

But then other emulators aren't exactly that amazing. I remember having issues with SNES9XGX. The quest for a fucking console that would serve as a perfect platform for emulation (excluding PS1)

There's new developments in the n64 scene with vulkan that may finally make n64 emulation good. Some cool stuff with texture perspective corrections for psx. Ryphecha working on Saturn emulation so that might finally be good.

I set up RA on my Wii under a month ago and you can still change the resolution settings (even down to 240p resolutions) and RA has the decency to save them (this was a recent thing)

You need to go to Settings > Video > Screen Resolution (the third option from the top). I did per-core configurations so I could just set one resolution per core, and set the default core (CATSFC v1.36) to 640x240 since SNES9x Next / PocketSNES are way better SNES emulators.

That's nice to hear, been hoping for improvements on the N64 and Saturn areas. Thanks, user

Hi emugen, I'm about to buy a ps2. Before I do, I just wanted to come and ask, should I buy the fat over the slim, or slim over the fat?

Its been so long I can't remember if there is a model I need to avoid, like how in 7th gen you shouldn't buy a white 360 because of rrod.
When I was a kid I had a ps2 slim, but again, its been so long that I can't remember which is better.

N64 emulation is finally going to be good instead of being stuck in perpetual plug-in hell thanks to paraLLEl. It does way too much shit to list here, so here's the update page itself:

libretro.com/index.php/nintendo-64-vulkan-low-level-emulator-parallel-pre-alpha-release/

Dolphin's Vulkan renderer is now feature complete, and even though it's still in an early state, it's getting better performance than OGL/DX11 in a few games. If you don't have a Vulkan ready GPU, Ishiiruka is doing wonders for the DX9/11 renderers. DX12 is a joke don't buy into the meme

PCSX2 is about to stagnate for a few years because Gregory is sticking with a depreciated API that is constantly breaking on AMD and Intel instead of moving on to Vulkan and/or DX12.

Rypecha of mednafen-PSX fame is starting work on an accurate, cross-platform Sega Saturn emulator, so we no longer have to rely on horrible emulators like SSF or Yabause anymore. The Saturn even just got cracked wide open for the first time in 20 years, so we might even get a USB loader for real hardware:

youtube.com/watch?v=jOyfZex7B3E

Speaking of mednafen-PSX, the Libretro port, Beetle, is getting an OpenGL hardware renderer. It brings increased rendering resolution, perspective correction, texture filtering, etc. It's very early in development and barely works as of right now though.

Also, Cemu and Citra are things, they barely work, but it's fucking unreal how fast Cemu has come. Most people are thinking that it's UltraHLE 2 because it seems like they're using leaked documentation from Nintendo themselves to develop it.

Honestly though, what does this have to do with emulation?

How far is 3DS emulation now adays? I feel like playing a proper pokemon game.

It's still early days but you can get the parallel core for retroarch to try out n64 with vulkan.

>I feel like playing a proper pokemon game.

Avoid the 3DS games then

It's relevant because PS2 emulation is so bad that sane people would go for a proper alternative

Thanks for the detailed summary! Need to read into that Vulkan stuff, glad to see so much good news (except for PCSX2 whelp).

That Sega Saturn CD video brought tears to my eyes ;_; it's been so long

I think last time I saw someone talking it was the fat. Check with

/vr/ doesn't allow 6th gen discussion because its not retro yet, and this general is the closest thing to it, sorry

can you imagine what trying to ask this question on /v/ would be like though?

>I set up RA on my Wii under a month ago
I read this as
"I set up RA on my Wii in only a month"

This is /hbg/ territory, but I had a lot of trouble finding info about my PS2, and /hbg/ really didn't want to help me anyways, so I'll help you

The fat PS2 is the way to go, but the slim is kinda usable. The main difference between the two is that for the fat, you'll be loading games off the HDD, and for the Slim, you'll be loading games over a network from a PC. FreeHDDBoot is how you load homebrew on the fats, and FreeMCBoot is the slim equivalent. As for game loaders, you'll use OpenPS2Loader for both.

HDD loading allegedly has 100% compatibility with booting games (someone in this thread before said they had some lag in some games, I've never noticed it in those games, so your mileage may vary), and network loading is a crap shoot. DMC3 is unplayable because cutscenes become desynced after five seconds and stutter for up to three seconds at a time. Rhythm games like Beatmania and Guitar Hero become desynced and you don't want that in a rhythm game. I'd say it has about 70% compatibility at this point.

USB loading for PS2 games is a fucking joke because the USB 1.0 ports used on the PS2 are nowhere near fast enough to play anything. Do not even think about or try it. However, there is a leaked PSX emulator that runs games off the HDD or USB that you can use since the USB 1.0 ports read discs faster than the PS2's laser clocked to the PSX read rate.

Emulation is trash on the PS2 don't even try it. It's strictly for PSX and PS2 piracy, and playing out of region DVDs. Nothing else.

tl;dr - Get a fat PS2, buy a memory card pre-loaded with FreeMCBoot, buy a 250GB+ IDE HDD, then install the latest daily build of OpenPS2Loader.

If you need any help with anything, just ask.

PCSX2 is garbage and it'll never get any better than it currently is now unless it gets a total code re-write. Might as well just get the real hardware at this point.

Who decided 6th gen is not yet retro anyway? Practically you can't discuss gen 6 games on /v/ so gen 6 should go to /vr/

>PCSX2 is garbage and it'll never get any better than it currently is now unless it gets a total code re-write. Might as well just get the real hardware at this point.
This was said last year and since then we've seen hundreds of improvements. MGS3 is now perfect as an example.

Originally, the year 2000 was the cutoff point, so no sixth gen. Then people were up in arms because the Dreamcast was released in 1998/1999, and had the best ports of fifth gen games (Spiderman and Tony Hawk immediately come to my mind).

So then the mods decided yeah, the Dreamcast counts as retro, but nothing else from the sixth gen because everything else was released after 2000.

Don't think of it as having the sixth gen as a cut off, but the year 2000 as being the cut off.

Why 2000? I just don't get it. Just some arbitrary nonsense? Why don't they do it based on functional usefulness? It's more useful to be able to discuss PS2 or Xboxclassic games on /vr/ because you will NEVER be able to discuss them on /v/ unless they're huge big name games like FF12 or something

>PCSX2 is about to stagnate for a few years because Gregory is sticking with a depreciated API that is constantly breaking on AMD and Intel instead of moving on to Vulkan and/or DX12.
I agree that PCSX2 is likely to stagnate, or rather keep stagnating, as it hasn't been going anywhere for years either way.

Your anti OpenGL shitposting in these threads is however baseless and way too easy to spot, since your dumb ass consistently uses the wrong fucking word when describing OGL (you're looking for "deprecated"). Even if Vulkan is the future, OGL won't be going away anytime soon.

I bet you think Beetle's new renderer is going nowhere as well, just because it doesn't use the latest graphics API. Your obviously lack the most simplistic of insight about software development so shut the hell up already.

Problem is, he's right in that eventually OGL will be going in the trash dump, so knowing that, putting work into it seems kind of like cleaning up a house slated for demolition

>I bet you think Beetle's new renderer is going nowhere as well, just because it doesn't use the latest graphics API
Nah, I know it's going places. Vulkan and DX12 just seem like the next logical step for PCSX2 since a total code-rewrite, as much as it's needed, isn't logical.

I'm glad I'm /emugen/ famous though

>I'm glad I'm an idiot

Don't be so upset because I don't like your shitty PS2 emulator

>DX12
It's only on W10. It's pointless.

Za Zorrow

thanks

and thank you very much, I really mean it. I was already looking at getting a fat too because of that.

just a few quick questions then.

Are there adapters for IDE to standard sata? I recently built my PC with 2011-2012 parts, so I don't have any IDE ports or hdds laying around.

I already looked up freemcboot, and know what that is. What is openPS2loader though, and why do I need it?

so far my shopping list is

>freemcboot card - $10
>fat $50
>IDE HDD 250 GB - $20
>Ps2 to Component - $9
>already got cds and dvds

Am I lacking anything?
Do I need to buy an adapter for the HDD?

and thanks a lot man, really

>Are there adapters for IDE to standard sata? I recently built my PC with 2011-2012 parts, so I don't have any IDE ports or hdds laying around.
Yeah, but if you use one, you're going to need to use a 2.5" SATA HDD (laptop size) so it'll fit in the slot with the adapter.

>I already looked up freemcboot, and know what that is. What is openPS2loader though, and why do I need it?
To keep it plain and simple: FreeMCBoot is the PS2 equivalent of automatically booting into the Homebrew Channel on the Wii. It's loads into the PS2 BIOS that's slightly modified that allows you to boot applications off a memory card or HDD. OpenPS2Loader is an application that you open with FreeMCBoot (or uLaunch, which is also something you should look up since it's a must have for every modded PS2. FreeMcBoot comes with it, so you don't have to worry about not having it). OPL is an open-source, actively developed backup loader for PS2 games that allows you to boot games off an HDD, over the Ethernet port, or through a USB stick/HDD.

As for your shopping list, yes, you're missing the Network Adapter. You need it to plug an HDD into your PS2.

Also, if you care about PSX backups through USB/HDD loading, take a look at this:

ps2home.freeforums.net/thread/162/popstarter-13-wip-guide

Also, I completely forgot, but this is the tool that you use to transfer your .iso's to your PS2's HDD over the network from a Windows PC:

psx-scene.com/forums/f19/new-reworked-hdl_dump-0-9-1-attempt-gain-full-access-hdd-over-network-113411/#post1056114

You run hdl_srv_093.elf through uLaunch on your PS2, then from your PC, boot hdl_dumb.exe. Your PS2 will output the relevant info for you, such as the IP address, then you just start transferring games over. It took me 40 minutes to install FFX because holy shit the PS2's Ethernet port is slow, but you can plug your properly formatted HDD into your PC and transfer games locally at much, MUCH faster speeds if that's more your thing. Don't worry about the compatibility options at the bottom, since you can toggle them on or off on the fly with OPL

>browse ebay
>find network adapter, fat, original controller, and 8mb card all for $47

thank you depreciation and deprecation
now for an ide drive, adapter, and freemc
thank you user for spoonfeed

>Yeah, but if you use one, you're going to need to use a 2.5" SATA HDD (laptop size) so it'll fit in the slot with the adapter.
You can also modify your adapter to have a SATA connector, it works only with official ones though.
A word of advice do not buy chinese copies of network adapters especially those that are SATA by default, not only they do not have proper network capacity most of the time but they have way worse compatibility.

Oh, wait - the HDD doesn't actually need to be directly plugged into the PC mobo at any point does it?

In that case, fuck the adapter, I just didn't know.
So for an HDD to fit into a PS2 fat port with network, it needs to be 2.5?

The HDD never "needs" to be plugged into the PC at any point, it just makes transferring games faster.

For the HDD to fit into the PS2 with the network adapter and no IDE > SATA adapter, you just need a regular ass 3.5" IDE HDD.

You only need a 2.5" drive if you're using an IDE > SATA adapter.

Don't buy a Western Digital HDD. The shape of the molex power port on them are non-standard, and to make the PS2 Network Adapter plug into it, you'll need to shave away lots of plastic, so you won't have a secure connection.

>the HDD doesn't actually need to be directly plugged into the PC mobo at any point does it?
If you have an official adapter then no.

>So for an HDD to fit into a PS2 fat port with network, it needs to be 2.5?
If you can find an IDE one a 3.5 fits, if you modify your adapter it also does fit a 3.5 but if you try to use a small IDE to SATA adapter inside the expansion bay then you can only fit a 2.5, just remember that you need a very specific IDE to SATA adapter for it to even work and you will need some fiddling around for it to fit properly and not risk breaking everytime you move your console.

>since a total code-rewrite, as much as it's needed, isn't logical.
Why isn't it logical?

>a rewrite isn't logical
>so we're just gonna make a change that requires a total rewrite by itself
Motherfucking genius.

How do I use DraStic without paying for it?

live

What is the best GBA emulator on retroarch?

please don't pull a rachel on us

Is there a safe apk download link for My Boy somewhere
I rarely download apks so don't want to get haxed

Root, and use lucky patcher.
mGBA
Use mGBA on RetroArch.

mGBA

Does mGBA have multiplayer support

Someone needs to get out more.

Yeah, take a walk or something.
I've heard the George Washington Bridge offers a really nice view.

What's better for emulation? Windows 10 or any linux distro in particular?

I currently have a GCN 1.0 AMD GPU so those new AMD drivers on linux aren't supported yet.

>mr. internet tuff guy, reporting for doody!

What, you were fuckbuddies or something? Is pussy the source of your butthurt?

>internet tuff guy

Yep, our little pisser was definitely afflicted with a mean case of the pussy-longing.

Protip Mr. Whiteknight: she was never going to fuck you. Never-ever. Not even if you paid her.

>she was never going to fuck you

Ok, I'll bite

Who the fuck are you talking about?

>dis gon b gud

rachel. :^)

>RogerB
Never forget

Jesus that's pretty graphic.

Is it? I hadn't noticed. :)

>animal violence

I approve

See now you just made it weird.

Looks like Vulkan is about ready on Dolphin

github.com/dolphin-emu/dolphin/pull/3935

i am not trolling or being facetious when i say that i actually feel a little smug and superior to people who care about vulkan. i kinda view them as sheep.

again, i am not trolling or "merely pretending" to be a fedora tipper. i actually am one.

Sounds like a joke that I am not getting.

i know it seems that way especially because of the self-deprecating comment and the fact it's a blog post, but i'm not joking.

Why would you not care about Vulkan.

i am a windows user that can benefit just as well from dx12, as are most people. when people talk about being excited for vulkan, they're just attempting to signal how "hip" they are by identifying with the tiny minority of linux users.

i only know this because i've done that in the past but i didn't realize what i was doing until years later. i was ashamed.

Vulkan seems pretty cool, though. Why _wouldn't_ you be excited about it? Finally an open API looks like it may best DirectX and whatever the fuck Apple thinks it is doing with Metal.

Not to mention ATI having authored the spec, so that may upend its status as second fiddle to NVidia, who always beat them out no matter which traditional API they used.

Well, I'd agree with you, if windows 10 wasn't so bad.. I generally prefer D3D over OGL. I'm not quite ready to switch to win10.

From what I hear, vulkan's slower than d3d12.

I think you lend too much credit to the competence of post-Ballmer Microsoft. Rather like my fellow Macheads who swear up and down that Apple under Tim Cook is still just as good as under Steve Jobs.

>i am a windows user that can benefit just as well from dx12, as are most people.
Most people don't have a Windows DX12 will work on

Why is everything going mad now, /emugen/?

Does PCSX2 work(or work well) on mac's?

.....OK. I did not see it before, but I sure as fuck see it now.

Jesus. 0-o

>Sega takes on Nintendo
>licensed Mega Drive clones existed for literally 15 years
>dozens of different revisions and varients
>first licensed NES clone not yet released
>Sega takes on Nintendo

I don't necessarily have any affinity toward one company or the other, but that headline is ridiculously biased.

You'll be the pioneer since I'm not sure anyone else here uses macs

>>first licensed NES clone not yet released
But the NES mini isn't a NES clone it's a shit ARM board running the VC emulator.

Is it even as accurate as puNES?

>puNES shill

I do. Still don't find shit you have to pray over like PCSX2 worth my time.

Maaatlooock

Mad libretrofag detected

Yeah, why bother with PCSX2 when you can use.. oh.

>horrible emulators like SSF
Yeah it's been horrible being able to play 99% of the Saturn's library at perfect speed and extremely high accuracy. So horrible.

It'll more than likely use the Virtual Console emulator for each of the installed games.

So no.

I thought puNES was in RA?