Transmission

What is the best transmission. There is only one true answer. Let's see who gets it right.

Other urls found in this thread:

autoevolution.com/news/volkswagen-recalling-16-million-cars-globally-to-fix-dsg-gearboxes-71053.html
motioncars.inquirer.net/31265/why-dual-clutch-transmissions-are-still-the-best
youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

cvt

>CVT
>already outdated
>Not IVT

get with the times

Manual.

I hope you're not implying it's the DCT arrangement you posted in OP.

Wrong. It is a wet dual clutch system, which is capable of handling the immense power and torque available, while shifting in less than 80 milliseconds.

From a performance benefit, it is objectively the best.

Manual is a close second for "fun" and conventional automatics are pure fucking shit.

Mercedes-Benz 722.9 twin clutch!

You wouldn't catch me dead in an auto/DSG.

>Dual clutch
>not heavy as shit
>not limited in gear ratios
>not unreliable as shit because the clutch keeps burning out
>not loosing power to wheels because it's mechanically inefficient

pleb

>it's not a DCT because it has wet clutch packs
I guess it's akin to saying you're not a human being, because you possess an extra chromosome.

Th400 with a shift kit and a high stall converter

Are you stupid? There is a difference between the dry dual clutches now being brought into everyday cars and wet dual clutches in nearly every SUPERCAR.

Fucking idiot, there is a reason they all use dual clutch now and not manual.

I still prefer manual but OP is right, clear performance benefit. And not unreliable.

who cares? It's really all about how a driver feels.
Unless you are racing professionally this discussion is pointless.

>losing power to wheels

ahahahahahahahaa holy fucking shit.

So all the lambos and ferraris "lose power to the wheels" right? Guess why they choose dual clutch over automatic and that's because it loses the least power.

autoevolution.com/news/volkswagen-recalling-16-million-cars-globally-to-fix-dsg-gearboxes-71053.html

>b-but more reliable

(^:

Every transmission losses power to the wheels, that is a basic thing. They all lose more than manual though

And dct transmissions are really heavy

>does not understand basic mechanical efficiency

They loose clos to 20%, IVTs loose 10% less since there's less moving parts to loose power to heat and friction.

Get rekt

Manuel.

>loose

Wet dual clutch systems are different than the ones you see on econoboxes.

There is a reason manual supercars have gone the way of the dodo and this is because they are simply better. Now yes, i find manual way more engaging and fun, but i understand why every supercar runs a dual clutch.

They can shave literal seconds off a 0-100 with a wet clutch and that is insane. You also retain the ability to control exactly what gear you want to be in, just like manual.

They are slightly heavier, but considering they can change gears in under 80ms and take advantage of better gear ratios, that is HEAVILY outweighed.

Wet dual clutches are simply superior AND the second most engaging option.

>look at me I can pout out typos and shit
>i'm so smart
>i still do not understand mechanical efficiency

I understand mechanical efficiency better than you understand grammar.

1. Super fast gearchanges, the 7 speed Getrag gearbox we are using changes gear in 80 milliseconds. This in turn massively reduces acceleration times improving the cars performance. The DCT version of the M3 is 0.2 seconds faster from 0-60 over the manual version, thats just one gearchange. Imagine if you’re on a race track,how much faster it would be on a lap.

2. Manual and auto modes. So if you want to just poodle around in auto mode it drives as smooth as a normal automatic. Then flick the gearlever to the right and you have a sequential gearbox or you can use the flappy paddles on the steering wheel.

3. Throttle blipping on downshifts, this sounds amazing!

4. Better fuel economy and less power loss than any auto gearbox as its direct drive, no power sapping torque converter.

6. Clutches are immersed in fluid so don’t wear as fast as normal clutches.

I'm not that user and you are wrong about manual being better than a proper DCT.

It's flat out bullshit. You can say manual is more engaging, but it is not faster.

Compared to IVTs they're still shit.

I'm not even talking about Torque Converter to Dry Clutch to Wet Clutch, I'm saying gears a shit, inefficient and needs to shift between rations with IVT only needing one clutch engagement for a pull.

For a DSG to be close to an IVT with the same engine engagement system it would need more than 10 gears.

>I'm not that user and you are wrong about manual being better than a proper DCT.

I'm not saying Manual is better, I'm saying IVT is better. Manuals have sucked ass since forever.

>IVT
They're good, but overheat under extreme pressure. They're not suitable for supercars and that's why you don't see them over dual clutches.

You are a fucking moron for suggesting you know better than the engineers behind all the modern supercars.

Nope.

motioncars.inquirer.net/31265/why-dual-clutch-transmissions-are-still-the-best

We're not talking about what goes well in a shitty VW, we're talking about something capable of going in a racecar.

>but overheat under extreme pressure.

When the oil coolers and pumps are cheap shit.

There is a reason they're used on tanks and are making their way to commercial trucks replacing conventional geared systems.

Don't confuse them for CVTs and their shitty chains for gear ratios.

>the reasons
>compared to Auto Geared transmissions, CVTs and admitting to being expensive as shit

wow sure showed me.

so why do no supercars use them?

La ferrari, p1, 918 all use DCT.

There was also the fact that as soon as CVTs got into F1 they got immediately banned because of it's "unfair advantage"

Toroidal Infinitely Variable Transmissions are very new to the game.

No real racing/performance company like ZF and the like have looked into it as of yet and thus there are none on the market for supercars.

It's only econocar sections of car companies playing around with the idea.

It's something you need to go and ask ZF in person.

Some Williams F1 CVT

too bad it didn't get to race.

youtube.com/watch?v=x3UpBKXMRto