M54B30 330ci or 2JZ-GE Supra for a trackday car?

M54B30 330ci or 2JZ-GE Supra for a trackday car?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=R6PJA9tb66E
youtube.com/watch?v=dYekRojG2Dw
youtube.com/watch?v=kUh1OOFintQ
garagewhifbitz.co.uk/news/a-world-first-whifbitz-supra-dual-clutch-transmission-conversion/
mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/getragdct.htm
topsecret-jpn.com/item10.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

Supra has more potential and NA-T builds aren't horribly expensive or uncommon

>garbage
>garbage

Hmmmm

>mk IV supra
>garbage

Choose one

>3800lb coupe
>20~40k on CL
>good

You mean 3400lbs for the turbo version.

Fucking uncultured swine

>not picking the Supra

Don't make a decision you'll regret, user. Money is temporary, memories are forever.

You mean the memory of a slow, overweight, overpriced car?

> NA supra

oh man thats a good one

I'll be honest, I didn't notice he was talking about the NA.

Shit's weak, brah.

But if I found one cheap enough, I'd take it.

>e46 330ci
>the best all around daily driver ever with a lovely motor
>garbage

I don't think this whole car hobby thing is for you.
As much of a rabid bmw guy as I am going to have to say the supra will give you a lot more of what you want. Parts aren't uncommon for the BMW, but you'll get a lot more out of the supra for the money. Daily the 330, track the supra. Live happily.

Thank you for a balanced opinion.

(Not being sarcastic.)

>Defending garbage

I don't think you even tried

idk are you a cool guy or a nerd?

Nerd isn't even an insult.

I'm guessing OP is a ausfagistani

Get the Supra. Even the N/A ones aren't much different from the Turbo (just brakes, swaybars, and shocks IIRC), and you won't get the advantage of a cheap/easy/common aftermarket like you do in America/Europe for the BMW.

But if you're Australian I'd lean towards a Honda Type R, Altezza RS200, or a Silvia/200SX honestly.

I'd get a Supra again if I were in that position. Doing the NA-T conversion really ismt all that difficult, the standard w58 gearbox is good for 500hp, the stock torsen LSD is also.

There's an abundance of parts as all the TT parts for the NA. They look good. They sound good. And once you do the obvious track car DaiY weight reduction they are fairly lightweight and handle with a lot of accuracy.

As for the beamer, I cant speak from personal experience, but, they also seem to be good cars. Maybe a bit more complex in regards to electrical and parts? That may end up costing you more.

Anyway, I'd get another supra, even an NA. Its pretty decent torque even as a stock NA and with work, its even better.

>200SX

Someone else who appreciates the S12?

kek

Now price aside (supra is cheap here in aus but expensive some other places) i'm about to list why it's one of the most legendary tuner platforms.

1. Might seem heavy at the start, until you realise a carbon fibre bodykit shaves off 200kg

2. The engine is amazing and easy to tune. Also has a nice engine bay if you are considering an even crazier swap (expensive).

3. Stupid fucking downforce. Feels planted as fuck.

4. Near perfect weight distribution. Can be perfected once you're done modifying.

5. Interior needs an update with new leather, but the cockpit is fucking nice. It's an experience.

6. Great brakes, it had the best braking distance until the 2004 porsche carrera GT

7. Great street cred, everyone loves supras

8. Fun to drive. It's a real drivers car.

So yea, the supra is amazing. It's not the BEST, but it's god damn close with a little bit of work. It's a tuner car that you can turn into a monster capable of raping aventadors, or a track monster.

It all depends on how you set it up, it's a real tuner's car and that's the magic of it.

youtube.com/watch?v=R6PJA9tb66E
youtube.com/watch?v=dYekRojG2Dw
youtube.com/watch?v=kUh1OOFintQ

Seconding what this user says. The supra is "ok" stock, but it's not about that. It is one of the premier tuning platforms, because when it has been worked heavily you can get into modern supercar tier quite easily.

You have supras with crazy 2jz's that have been worked, dual clutch systems, v12 supra, rc-f V8 swapped supra, even a few LS swapped supras.

You also have supras set up for track, supras set up for drifting...it's a good all arounder. You can make it whatever you want, you just need to build it that way.

garagewhifbitz.co.uk/news/a-world-first-whifbitz-supra-dual-clutch-transmission-conversion/
mkiv.supras.org.nz/articles/getragdct.htm

Saw the dual clutch mate, shit is fucking retarded. The lexus v8 swap also had flappy paddles and stupid shift times as well.

I prefer manual but it is interesting to see the performance gain on 0-100, plus the advantage of modern technology being integrated in by tuners. Full traction control to launch is pretty cool.

I think they dropped from 4.4 seconds to 3.2 with the dual clutch alone.

>until you realise a carbon fibre bodykit shaves off 200kg
[citation needed]

He's referring to the 14 grand top secret one. Which is pretty much entirely new panels.

>Being this new

topsecret-jpn.com/item10.html

And here's the kit.

It replaces all the outside panels with CF.

I would choose supra, simply because there's an extensive aftermarket for it. You can take it from being kinda fun to super fun really quick.

It's a quality car and a good base to build on.

In a track day car NA might be advantageous since it gives you much more accurate throttle control (useful in cornering), if I had an NA supra I'd just tune it to make more power without a tarbo

>questioning outstanding claims = being new
I guess I was born yesterday.
Cool, now can you link the source that proves a 200kg weight reduction is possible with this kit?

OP here, I'm in Europstani

Contact top secret and they'll tell you more.

My mate bought one and it shaved off 197kg.

It's not your typical bodykit, as you can see. It literally replaces entire panels with CF.
Also funnels air into the rear brakes and is more aerodynamic.

It's such a specialty item they only make if you ask about it, so info is scarce and in japanese.

Just shoot them an email for all the details.

You don't think replacing all the exterior aluminium panels with Carbon Fiber is going to net a immense weight reduction?

Arial Atom, or some sort of Lotus 7 equivalent.

330ci, just because I wouldnt want to ruin my supra.

Of you don't pick the beamer, you have no idea what makes a good track car.

How are you paying so much for a 330ci and so little for the MKIV? I'd expect it to go for as much as a older E36 M3 which would've been a far better option.

England?

S2K/RX-8 is also a good option that might be in that range. The 330ci isn't bad, its just not that good (subframe tearout, 3300-3400lbs/230hp, expensive/difficult options for a actual LSD), but it has cheap parts and its common.

>I'd expect it to go for as much as a older E36 M3
they are climbing in price user

>wanting a track car that is over 1000kg

>Supras are good if you replace literally everything
So other than owning the penultimate of meme machines, why the fuck would I spend so much money to come close to a good car?

>Shitbox XYZ is fantastic
>I took $100'000 of the parts from 4 different Ferraris
>it's nearly as fast as a Focus ST now!
>Get the Shitbox XYZ, user
t. Most of you idiots

OP, either take your mod money and put it into something which is better out of the box, or buy something super cheap (anything with a good chassis you can get for cheap), then go about stripping and replacing bits to make it a good track car. Choice depends on mechanical abilities really.

supra if manual

this

wait till the stripped out fwd shitboxes start passing your car that cost 5x the amount of theirs.

Not only that, the lightweight cars will be going flat out all day while the OP's tank will have to slow down or stop so the brakes and tyres will cool down.

The one:1 weighs a lot more than 1000kg.
It would destroy anything you've ever even seen.

Weight isn't some magic thing that needs to constantly be as low as possible. Power and a stiff chassis to take it require some mass.

get a $2500 R6

congrats you've out-forzad everyone in this thread.

Because they're actually only like 20 grand and the engine they come with is pretty god damn awesome.

You are a fucking idiot, the supra is not a meme machine. It's an underdog that punches well above it's weight.

A 100 grand supra can pick apart a 700 grand aventador any day of the week and there's countless videos proving this.

>lightweight cars are bad because this million dollar supercar might be faster than them, briefly.

If the OP could afford a Koenigsegg he wouldn't be asking about 330is and MkIV Supras, autismo.

OP asked for our opinion on two choices. The supra will be way better for a smaller amount of money.

Thus, it is the better choice.

Agreed. With supras you have two routes.

>Cheap, easy and fun power

or for about 500 grand you can make something like smokey's v12 supra, a car so fucking stupid it would still keep up with veyrons, despite being made like 10 years before.

OP won't be burning this much money of course, but for like 20 grand you can easily get 6-800HP in a drivers orientated, manual car, with great weight distribution and handling.

>actually only like 20 grand
>like 20 grand
>twenty fucking thousand
>only

There are plenty of cars that will outperform it stock, for less. And if you're going to start replacing engines and entire subsystems, then you might as well start off with a cheaper, more common car to build off of. My point was that they fall short due to their over pricing.

However as the user below you said, OP asked for the choice of those two, and he will be better off with the Supra. But that's because the BMW has a comparatively low modding capacity but about the same stock performance.

OP said track car, not nitro'd grenade engine for doing illegal highway pulls on riced out civics and rich kids. Your 100k supra might beat the lambo from 30 to 130, but that's it. And you can do that with a diesel Volvo for under 40k.

>Weight isnt important because multi-million dollar car

Also the koenigsegg is only 1300kg

what kind of a dumbass thread is this? Lol

>a bmw that isn't an m, or toyota's flagship supercar

It's not the flagship supercar it's the N/A

I thought they only really appreciated in America. They're still $7-12k cars, stabilizing and slowly rising. I bought mine over a S2K and RX8.

>Only 600-800hp

Or OP could be smart and spend all that money fixing whatever's broken (which there'll be a lot of on a 20 year old anything) and if hes building it for a class caging it and building it for whatever class he wants (not recommended if it's going to ever go back on the street)

Then maybe when he's satisfied with the current level of power he can do a stockish GTE/V160 swap.

Except OP's tank will likely be a stockish car which will take the abuse fine with a different set of pads and brake ducts.

That doesn't happen as much as you think.

The non turbo is still a good car, it's just nowhere as amazing as the turbo one which is a supercar of its time.

The non turbo is still fun to drive, just go try one and see.