/hhg/ - Hot Hatch General

A thread for our beloved econobox pocket rockets. Talk experiences, ask for advice and questions and generally shitpost about the Fiesta ST.

>"Literally does every motherfucker drive a Fiesta ST now?" Edition
What would you buy that isn't a Fiesta?

Previous Thread: >What is a "Hot Hatch"?
A Hot Hatch is a manufacturer produced, performance oriented variant of a standard hatchback, designed for improved handling, increased top speed, acceleration and generally enhance the driving experience.

>Are all Hot Hatches FWD?
No. Whilst most Hot Hatches are FWD, some are AWD or even RWD.

>Isn't FWD shit?
No. Just because you can't get the arse out by stamping on the accelerator doesn't mean you can't have fun.

>Aren't Hot Hatches just for Europoors?
No; with the launch of the Fiesta and Focus ST in the US, it seems like the Hot Hatch is beginning to take of on the other side of the Atlantic, but Europoors definitely have more choice.

>Is the Fiesta ST actually good?
The Fiesta ST is one of the best small hot hatches on offer at the minute; so yeah they're pretty good.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Q0B9bPTKj6M
dmb.uk.com/prod/3997/fiesta-mk7-st180-and-focus-mk3-st250-gel-st-inlay-single-front
dmb.uk.com/prod/3998/fiesta-mk7-st180-and-focus-mk3-st250-gel-st-inlay-single-rear
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Have you ever driven a Golf GTE? (I haven't)
> silent night time cruise in a hood/commute
> econo daily yet more powerful than typical one
> still practical and Britbong level compact
I don't think I could consider this performance/fun car, just a pleasant DD, next to a fun car. What are your opinions?

This, obviously.

These fuckers sell like crazy where I live because lol tax discounts. Can't go outside without seeing at least two.

what is hot hatch now ?
I don't know anything about it out side of 100 hp for 800 kg and having a decent space behind the front seats

getting to 1200 kg and 200 or 300 hp now I guess
and with much better diff and suspension
but utterly shit interior and no cool body kits or decals

Can I buy, insure and tax a decent hot hatch in the UK for £5,000?

I didn't buy a Fiesta ST because it's assembled in mexico. I got a 1.4t sonic instead. I love it so far and I haven't even tuned it yet.

>because it's assembled in mexico
Are you fucking retarded?

heavily depends on where you live and who you are putting on the car as other drivers

I think that's nice brah.
G40 Polo?

I had a quick look on autotrader earlier on thismorning and you can pick up a running Renaultsport Clio for under £1k

Which is probably a good call if it's had the cambelt done.

Wow, that was a majorly poor choice you made there bruh. FiST absolutely demolishes the Sonic in every way.

What's the best sounding hot hatch?

My vote goes to pic related or the i5-powered ones (Volvo C30, Focus RS mk2 and Audi RS3).

Thoughts on the Fabia vRS with the 1.4 TSI VW unit?

Polo GTI on a budget/10

Yeah, but that's exactly why I'm looking. Im after a modern hot hatch on a budget

For whatever reason Skodas seem to be more reliable than their VW counterparts.

Maintain your shit and you'll be fine.

Or check out the Swift Sport, pic related. Revvy as fuck 1.6l NA engine, light, great chassis and cheap. Great fun.

So much fun on winding country roads.

I have actually driven the Swift Sport, but they're a bit more expensive than the fabias I'm looking at, and I do big trips to Le Mans so they are a bit small for all the camping gear.

I'd have to go lower mileage Swift because cambelt, but I can do higher mileage Skoda because timing chain. So the Skodas work out cheaper.

Yes plenty of EP3s well within that price range

>hot hatch defense force

holy shit you cucks are hilarious, just buy a real car already.

I'm thinking about buying a Fiat 500 Abarth

Am I making a mistake for buying FCA?

>FCA
>girl car
>""""hot"""" hatch
could you be any more of a cuck?

If its good enough for charlie sheen its good enough for me

pass the cocaine

that ford shogun on jay leno's garage was pretty fucking awesome.
>tfw when nitrous

I've test driven one, and it was mad fun. Was about to pull the trigger, but I couldn't live with myself if I had sold my Clio for a glorified Fiat 500.

Fix it again tomorrow

Post your ST's

Mine needs wash. Would not buy black again.

Btw, does z3m qualify as hot hatch?

thats the shoe one right?

i guess we might consider you although bmwg is there too

I don't own one. Just thinking if it falls into this category.

Prove to me fwd is good

Le cuck maymay

Currently I drive a 1992 Corolla. It's boring, it's slow, and it feels like an appliance. There was something about the Fiat that felt significantly more fun than the Fiesta ST and Golf GTI.

dude why aren't you spending money upgrading the shit out of your 1992 corolla? That would be boss as fuck.

Look at this boxy fucker. About 1000kg before stripping anything, 2400 mm wheelbase. Damn that shite would be fun to sling around a turn.

You know that money you're going to spend on a new car? Upgrade the suspension and wheels instead.

Upgrade your brakes and engine. Do something silly, there's a ton of parts out there for this thing. Maybe swap it, go forced induction on the base, be absurd, spend 10 grand.

What is this world coming to that someone wants to dump a '92 corolla instead of making it awesome?

It has 500k miles, and going on it's second transmission rebuild.

I'd rather buy a new car as this point.

I'm quite content with the greyscale paint job. it still looks great when dirty

>No; with the launch of the Fiesta and Focus ST in the US, it seems like the Hot Hatch is beginning to take of on the other side of the Atlantic,

This is wrong, Hot hatches have been a thing in the US since the 70s.

A real handful. Also bought some more stuff to add to my growing list of shit to install.

Is the WRX considered a hot hatch? Or is it basically just a sports car?

I know it's just a sedan now, but for $30,000 the 2016 WRX seems like the best bang for buck in Canada.

The 2016 is not, maybe 13 and prior models that actually had a hatch.

>FiST soon
get hype

I don't drive an ST but I sure do love my Titanium Focus. How much of a faggot am I?

Only if it's a manuel
Standard focus is a pretty decent car

Nope. Supreme faggot here. I drive in a large college town and like to zone put on my way to and from work

These are nice, much better looking than the Golf of the same gen imo.

Have fun with transmission failures

Either that or this
youtube.com/watch?v=Q0B9bPTKj6M (Abarth Punto supersport)

It's a sport compact.
The 2015 + generation only comes in sedan form (so far). Previous generations that came in a hatchback are considered hot hatches if you're referring only to the hatchback versions.

one hatch to rule them all.

Zoom-zoom, best hot hatch coming through.

Do these "hot hatch" cars come with anal beads or buttplug?

>doesn't go for the monster shifter option

No, you have buy those separately. Like you've always done.

>23k in Canada
Comitting sudoku

I hate the new Mazda styling. They look like cranky old dudes now instead of insanely happy torque-steering monsters they used to be.

Name a hot hatch that is RWD, please.

KP61 Toyota Starlet
Only one that means anything.

"My car's got a Dick Shift."

"You mean a stick shift?"

"No, a dick shift"

BMW M135i

Yeah, the Fiat feels properly fun, but my Clio at the time was the 2010 RenaultSport Cup model, so the Clio was tonnes more fun. I was only looking at the Abarth because fuel economy. I thought the Fiesta would be fun, but I'm guessing you're American, so the one you get is the size of a bus, not the little 3 door one we get over here.

Are cars like the Clio GT, Polo BlueGT, and Zetec S hothatches?
They seem to be the most powerful trim levels besides the GTI, Renaultsport, and ST, and have the boyracer bumpers, sideskirts and spoilers

The phrase "Warm-hatch" comes to mind.

Brabus Smart cars
BMW 130 sport
BMW M135i
BMW 325ti
C220 Kompressor hatch (it's really not a coupe)
Old Mini Cooper S
Starlets
Corrola GT
Clio V6

These are some that come to mind. There are quite a few RWD hot hatches, all of varying ages, powers etc.

There was never an rwd mini, in any trim or generation.

>without tax discounts leasing one of these costs about as much as a GTI
>real world daily range is about 120km, about 80 in winter
>Renault sells cars with a seperate lease on the battery and lifetime warranty, but if the battery of your VW EV gets tired or breaks you'll have to pay for the replacement yourself
>emissions can be up to 150% of those of a regular compact car. They're just not coming out of the exhaust, but the local power plant
>if you're charging it at home you're paying about 60% of the price of regular fuel per km (at least in germany), charging at public stations costs more. Still cheap, but running a EV is far from free.

What's nice about EVs is the lack of maintenance parts, apart from tires and brakes. Suspension parts are suffering though because the EV is much heavier than the regular variant.

>tl;dr
An EV is nice if you don't keep it for too long and you have your own supply of renewable energy to charge it (ie your company's warehouse has a roof covered in solar panels)

source: friend #1 got talked into leasing an EV, friend #2 is running a 2009 Mustang GT for about the same money. (roughly the same annual mileage)
And that's in germany, with expensive fuel, displacement based taxes etc

>emissions can be up to 150% of those of a regular compact car
Golf OP here. Also, add extra weight.
I'd like GTE because that optional silence, daily mpgs and practicality not purely because of money save neither because that (lacking) driving experience.
>Germany, expensive fuel
P-please...
Btw I'm Pole but I want GTE opinions for future, I'm not buying it now cuz then I could just test drive it.

MUH FUCKIN DICK

only 4wd mini

Pontiac vibe, Corolla matrix or Mazda 3

aww yeah metallic grey master race

3rd gen Focus are so buttfuck ugly, only thing uglier is the interior. Kill yourself if you drive one.

Yeah, but the exterior for the new 3s are a lot nicer imo.

Fuck, meant to say interior. Apparently I need more coffee.

This one gets no love But is fabulous to drive

What about this

I wanna drive where you are hot damn
Must have nice dirt roads

Seems to be UK, so I have questions. Where is that photo taken? Can you say a bit about driving in UK as where is it nice to drive (either many curves or just nice roads and surroundings to enjoy)? I'd really love to on a big trip there.

I wish I could get my hands on the hood and front bumper of that.

Going to buy an ep3 civic type r on Wednesday, anything to look out for?
I already plan on asking the seller when the valve clearances were last checked, if the timing chain has been done and getting a feel for second gear which I'm told wears quickly if it's used for hard launches.
Anything else?

The T5/D5 are definitely fast cars.

Oh yes bby.

Black Mountain pass, Brecon, S.Wales

So anyone get any parts recently or have anything on order? How about plans for this coming weekend.

Fuck that was the wrong image.

So anyone get any parts recently or have anything on order? How about plans for this coming weekend.

Ayyy, here's mine fresh off US129/Tail of the Dragon.

Oops, here's the picture.

I love the silver ST badge. I'm seriously debating replacing the stock red one with this. it looks so good on the darker colors

Are there any decent paints for badges?

Pretty sure any automotive paint will do.

dmb.uk.com/prod/3997/fiesta-mk7-st180-and-focus-mk3-st250-gel-st-inlay-single-front

dmb.uk.com/prod/3998/fiesta-mk7-st180-and-focus-mk3-st250-gel-st-inlay-single-rear

I ordered mine in white, but they have lots of options. And thanks!

oh shit, it's an inlay? that's even better! thanks for the links

Fuck you OP an LS powered Gremlin is cool!

yeee my car, but base model

I think the black wheels dont match the color as well as the default grey ones IMO

but at least they dont get as dirty as quickly i assume, fugging break dust

Thanks. As from what I've seen on a youtube recording, it's a great road.
> suddenly a sheep

S T A R E T T O
T
A
R
E
T
T
O

That is one nice fucking shot.

y-you too