Was there really a serial killer boom in the 70-80's or was it just media sensationalism?

Was there really a serial killer boom in the 70-80's or was it just media sensationalism?

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Program
i.imgur.com/8u8gtGi.jpg
i.imgur.com/kuOvZh7.png
i.imgur.com/wadShQ6.jpg
i.imgur.com/8DSQ9A8.png
nytimes.com/1994/10/23/us/historical-study-of-homicide-and-cities-surprises-the-experts.html
usnews.com/opinion/articles/2011/12/23/why-america-is-more-violent-than-other-democracies
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

It seems that way
>Jeffrey Dahmer
>John Wayne Gacy Jr.
>Ted Bundy
>David Berkowitz
>Edmund Kemper
>Larry Bittaker and Roy Norris
>Richard Ramirez
etc.

Of course, sensationalism played a part in making people aware, but there are other factors (stealing from someone's answer on Quora):

The completion of most of the Interstate highway system - This allowed killers to travel the country far more easily than in the past and assisted in their avoiding driving through smaller towns where they might have been stopped and questioned by local authorities.

Police officers were poorly trained and poorly disciplined in that time period - This likely lead to a number of “runaways" and "missing person" cases (which were actually serial murders) being allowed to grow cold due to incompetent or lax investigation.

More women were living alone and working outside the home. - This gave killers greater access to victims.

The “stigmas” associated with homosexuality were lessened , meaning that far more gay men cruised and engaged in anonymous liaisons. - This made it easier for killers to isolate and kill them.

Drug use/abuse became somewhat more acceptable socially. - Killers were able to use drugs (or the promise of drugs) to lure addicts and casual drug use was frequent and almost “legitimized."

As for the reason why there aren't serial killers today like there were then is because of forensic science getting much more advanced, especially with DNA profiling being available. (first used in 1985) Also I guess a better understanding of criminals and their motives helped as well

So yes I believe there was a boom in that time period

Modern society does not have "serial killers" anymore, our sociopaths kill in open daylight, either through political motives (Breivik) or religious (Jihadists) etc.

I personally am much more afraid of 21st century sociopaths than the boogeymen in shadowy alleys.

These days you can get practically shot/blown up anywhere, anytime.

Yeah in a way with serial killers even though what they did to their victims was disgusting, in a way you feel like are able to avoid it, while shooters just kill indiscriminately most of the time and with them you never know if you'll be in the wrong place at the wrong time

I'd rather be killed quickly and indiscriminately than tortured and killed for some sick fuck's pleasure though.

True, but again like I said, in a way you feel like you can avoid it to some degree. Serial killers usually lure their victims and shit like that. I'm not the type to trust or befriend people so I kinda feel a bit more safe in a way. But with mass shooters they just pop out in daylight and go killing in schools, shops, cinemas etc.

But yes, I'd rather have a quick death than get tortured.

That was during a time where television and television networking started becoming more widespread. News stations in particularly. It was also when communication became faster and more rapid. Allowing information to zip from city-to-city.

So any news of serial killers would've been a hot topic from the get-go.

>greatest country in the world they said

I guess freedom aint free

Yes we still do have killers, most of them don't feel the need to taunt the police as investigation techniques have advanced to a point where it isn't really fesible. Many serial killers are believed to exist in poor communities where no one really cares. Think of the one guy in the ghetto who had 30 bodies in his house that no one caught on for years because American society doesn't care when poor black women go missing

So if it was serial killers then and mass shooters/spree killers now, what will be the next murder fad?

>These days you can get practically shot/blown up anywhere, anytime.
Yeah you can but you probably won't. I still think there's no reason for people to be afraid.

It's happening all over now though. I live on some irrelevant island but soon I'll go to study in the UK and I'm a bit afraid

I think it has a lot to do with what this user was saying. The combination of media hype and ease of transportation and the culture of runaways and hitchhiking combined with police ignorance made serial killing easier than it had ever been in the past.
Also it had a lot to do with law enforcement not understanding what they were looking for. The term "serial killer" didn't even enter popular lexicon until like the 80s, and it wasn't really until the Atlanta child murders that people began to realize that there were people essentially "killing for sport" (one of the early names for it). If you read the books written by the first criminal profiles like Jonathan Douglas or Robert Ressler you can see how profiling and understanding of the motivations of serial killers became more widely known and understood, and that combined with modern forensic techniques has led to being able to catch many serial killer before they reach Bundy status

You are far more likely to just get stabbed and robbed in the street than get jihaded though

Yeah that's true. In any case, big countries scare me. I sound like a massive pussy, I know

arcology owners

You touched every topic, nice.
/thread breddy much

I get it though, I'm from the UK and feel pretty chill about that, however if I was to ever live in America I feel like I'd be panicking about terrorists constantly (and irrationally I know)

There's a theory that the boom of leaded gasoline use in the mid 1900s led to a shitton of children with mental disorders due to lead poisoning

He forgot to mention Vietnam vets returning after being trained in the torture and murder of civilians. Richard Ramirez used to listen to his cousin's rape and torture stories when he was a teen.

Meh I don't know. Most of the serial killers listed didn't have anything to do with Vietnam

Sauce for whomever it may concern: en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Phoenix_Program

Methods of alleged torture said to have been used at the interrogation centers include:

Rape, gang rape, rape using eels, snakes, or hard objects, and rape followed by murder; electric shock ('the Bell Telephone Hour') rendered by attaching wires to the genitals or other sensitive parts of the body, like the tongue; the 'water treatment'; the 'airplane' in which the prisoner's arms were tied behind the back, and the rope looped over a hook on the ceiling, suspending the prisoner in midair, after which he or she was beaten; beatings with rubber hoses and whips; the use of police dogs to maul prisoners.

Sounds like something Kemper would enjoy.

>most
and a few of them definitelively did. I don't think you'll find a common demoninator between ALL serial murderers since they be cray-cray and all that. However, it is a fact that the public perception and consumption of violence at the time increased massively as a result of the war and I don't think it's a stretch to assume this would have a stronger effect on mentally ill people then normies.

I remember posting a bunch of those paintings on /x/ for a spooky art thread.
All my posts were deleted, guess it was too spooky.

Those are paintings made by a supposed MK ULTRA victim, they're pretty spooky.

Where can I find them?

kimnoble.com

>because American society doesn't care when poor black women go missing

i know you seem like you care, but you really don't. you don't have to virtue signal when you're anonymous.

you have 100 to 150 relationships that matter, we know this because science tells us this. im not saying i think you don't care about poor black women. im saying i know you don't care about poor black women.

spare me of babby's first steps in social consciousness.

I'm glad I did not have to be the first to say this, extreme violence is still extremely rare nowadays. As an American citizen you're just as likely to get hit by lightning as to be blown up by muhamet. I don't know if you ever gambled or know enough math to understand how small a one in 10 million chance is, because thats about as small of a chance there is that you will actually get blown up this year.

This
You go on the internet/news/pol/ and its
>race war
>terrorist attack
>killer cops
>killer Blacks

And outside its like
>crickets chirping.

Yes.

Valid point

The violent crime rate in medieval times made modern Detroit look like a utopia

there are 150 000 people in my neighbourhood, ~150 got shot by muslims this year
this means 0.01% chance to die

now for example the usa, it has ~320 million people and ~50 people die of lightning every year
Which makes roughly 0.0000000166% chances to die

So i am in fact 625 000 times more likely to die of terrorist attack than lightning strike. You liar.

(btw if you calculate chances to lose someone close to you instead percentages increases drastically)

[citation needed]
[dubious - discuss)

Gurr, 1981. Historical trends in violent crime: A critical review of the evidence. In N. Morris & M Tonry, eds., Crime and justice, vol. 3. Chicago: University of Chicago Press
Eisner, 2001. Modernization, self control, and lethal violence: The long-term dynamics of European homicide rates in theoretical perspective. British Journal of Criminology, 41, 618-38
Eisner, 2003. Long-term historical trends in violent crime. Crime & Justice, 30, 83-142
Cockburn, 1991. Patterns of violence in English society: Homicide in Kent, 1560-1985. Past & Present, 130, 70-106
Keeley, 1996. War before civilization: The myth of the peaceful savage, table 6.1,p. 195 .
Gatt, 2006. War in human civilization.

i.imgur.com/8u8gtGi.jpg
i.imgur.com/kuOvZh7.png
i.imgur.com/wadShQ6.jpg
i.imgur.com/8DSQ9A8.png

nytimes.com/1994/10/23/us/historical-study-of-homicide-and-cities-surprises-the-experts.html
usnews.com/opinion/articles/2011/12/23/why-america-is-more-violent-than-other-democracies

It's seems like the 70s were a time of violence and tension all the way.

>serial killers
>gangs
>black power and police
>government repression
>golden age of terrorism
>cold war

cop that dickhead

what would you suggest he do

>As an American citizen you're just as likely to get hit by lightning as to be blown up by muhamet

blatantly false

triggered easily? Its simply an accurate observation of something that's both true and relevant to the topic at hand. Not every single mention of black people is orchestrated by the jews buddy.

Baby Boombooms are fucked up.

Technology made it possible to convict serial killers much more easily than in the past, and this co-incided with the boom in home media consumption such as made for tv movies, and real crime has always been a big seller. It's not that there were more killers then, just more being caught and more media attention to them.

Media sensationalism
The reason why the media doesn't advertise the exploits of serial killers is because giving them attention creates copy cat killers. There "25 to 50 active serial killers in the United States at any given moment" but the news doesn't focus on them anymore to save lives.
Besides, with terrorist attacks and mass shootings, the news has plenty of horrible shit to profit off anyway. And plenty of racial propaganda to push along with it.

no, there's a hefty fucking fee

>>As an American citizen you're just as likely to get hit by lightning as to be blown up by muhamet
>blatantly false

In any given year you are four times as likely to die of a lightning strike than a terrorist. Obviously these numbers are thrown out by 9/11, but taking the numbers from the founding of the USA to the present,more have died of lightning than terrorism.