I daily drive a short bus of my own accord

I daily drive a short bus of my own accord.
I bought it about 5 months ago.
The a40d automatic blew up a couple weeks ago and I'm just about done swapping it to a zf5 manual, ordered the clutch master cylinder this morning for the pedal swap.
Ask me anything, its been a while since I came round these parts.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=fIIIsf0Rsf8
youtube.com/watch?v=j6l3Qi2shWk
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

mpg

is it comfy?

What have you done with the space?

Pics?

Calling on Truckerfag and vandweller.

Alphonse seems to have escaped from your bus, can you catch him?

Less than 12
Yeah actually I quite like it.
Not a whole lot besides putting things in and taking them out, its gone through a few configurations since I got it, started with just a cot, then moved to a twin bed and now its got a pretty big couch in it on custom riser feet I made.
I actually dont have very many pics of the inside.

I dont allow window lickers.

Do you live in it?
Camper plans?
Why a bus?
Liscence requirements?

thats baller af

Does a short bus require a commercial driver's license to operate?

Here's a short timelapse from running shuttles for an underground party a couple months back
youtube.com/watch?v=fIIIsf0Rsf8
(and the stock driveshaft removed)

Doubt it. Most box trucks don't and they're larger.

I live in it 4 nights a week while working then travel up to my parents property 4 hours away on the weekends to do housekeeping shit
My plans for the inside are to completely redo the floor and mount rails of unistrut flush with the floor then use unistrut to frame the entire inside, it will basically be a modular erector set.
Bus because the econoline chassis is proven reliable, the 7.3 diesel is legendary, it had low miles and its just the right size to still be able to fit into most parking spaces, any bigger and going to a parking lot would be a major hassle.
Licence requirements: none.

Had to cut the floor back a little bit, no big deal.

Floor stiffener had to be mostly cut away, I have plans to reinforce this area once the swap is complete but honestly I cant tell a difference standing on top of it.

Many joints being rolled on that table lmao

i didn't think yanks liked tech step let alone dnb

Rear axle out of a 94 f250 dually with the same engine and trans, close candidate, final length needs to be extended and the front end yoke swapped out for a smaller one. Dont know what the driveline shop is going to end up doing but I just told them do whatever makes the most sense, I robbed a transmission cross-member out of a similar model van to act as the carrier support, prolly will have to lathe up a couple spacers to get the height right.

I live in the san fransisco bay area, where did you get the yank idea?

you are a yank aren't you?

Feelin her up a bit for the first time.
youtube.com/watch?v=j6l3Qi2shWk

I work in a machine shop not a farm, I'm not sure what you're getting at. If you just mean american I'm kinda perplexed as to why you would think none of us listen to the electronicas Detroit techno? Florida trance?

wtf lol are you on drugs

you are a yank

you posted a video with dnb in it

yanks never listen to dnb let alone tech step

i was merely stating i didn't know yanks (americans aka you) listened to dnb, that was all lol

Are you a hipster? Are you and your hipster friends gonna film a fag indie movie with it? If so Im here to say dont

Does it have comfy curtains?

Pls shut up m8.

So the hardest part of the swap was actually figuring out the pedal situation, the only time econolines came with a stick shift manual predates hydraulic master/slave setups, the pedal assemblies were all mechanical linkage to the clutch thus I need to custom fab a solution.
What I did was order a aftermarket master cylinder that had mounting holes appropriate to bolt onto the side of my stock pedal assembly, ill prolly have to do some custom lathe work to make spacers, standoffs, and an axle for the clutch pedal set I tore out of the same f250 the trans came from. I'm hoping ill be able to swing it with only off the shelf parts from mcmaster-carr just because it would be handy for anyone else thinking about doing this swap.
Here's the clutch master I chose, which is actually a brake master with the same bore and stroke as a stock master for the slave I've got. The big thing with this master are the cross mounting holes which is really hard to find on stock cylinders.

He might very well be on drugs but you're still way dumber

Fun thread OP can confirm that seven tree will live forever and you seem to have the skills to maintain the rest of the shit around it

on the left, stock assembly from bus, on the right stock assembly from 94 f250

Yup that's why I bought it.

You need to either bend yourself a more comfy shifter or find one out of a truck; that straight shifter looks uncomfy as fuck when you have to put it down by your ankle to get into 2nd and 4th..

It'l be fun and novel for the first few days but yeah I'm definitely going to be improving that situation.
I'm wondering if there are hydraulic shifter kits for this transmission, or if such a thing even exists, I'd love to be able to put a little "joystick" if you will wherever I want and fab a bracket for it.
I'm imagining something like a short shift kit.

Don't have much to say other than that it's pretty cool.
Are you going to tint the windows?

They already are pretty heavily tinted, like the glass itself is tinted a film wasn't applied, beyond that just curtains.

mood lighting when? Those ikea LEDs are bretty neat

I got some simple stick up led strips down the length, the color temperature is pretty awful but they work nice. I'd like to find some high quality binned strips and stick them inside the unistrut rails when that's complete as my final solution.

rate the girl's ass and post a picture of her ass

Nice autism bus user

>user

>user

That's a sexy looking clutch, holy shit do you service it from the inside of the bus?

That's pretty fucking amazing, dude. I love the dedication on this completely batshit insane plan. I wish I had the balls and knowledge to do this. How many years of mecanical knowledge do you have to just want to pull this off?

I was thinking of doing the same to a Vanagon or something.

Nah, don't go that fancy, just get something like pic related (best I could do without spending all day on google). Old trucks have some crazy bends in their gear shifts to put the head in a useful place; pic related is conservative. Just scour your junkyard and find sweet one.

I know a dude who owns a shortbus that he painted black and green, with the Jaegermeister logo on the sides.

Remember to add SCA to your coolant to prevent cavatation!

Where do you sleep? Does anyone harass you at all or do they just ask you to move?
A lot of the van dwelling community seems to scream "stealth is #1", but yours doesn't look stealthy at all.

I want to convert a full sized school bus into a rolling motel to hold me and my buddies on a road trip across murrika. Only problem is getting the licenses to drive a full sized bus.

Generally if it is technically a motor home. It can be registered as a motor home. Which means you don't need a cdl, even if it has air brakes.

Pic related requires a cdl, but it was a "motorhome" to the insurance/registration. Was a fun daily/project for a few weeks.

Fuckin sweet.

Wish the owner would had let me mod the fuel pump and crank the boost up. Needed some push. That 8.3 could have made double the power.