Mazda RX8

Considering purchasing a used 05 Mazda RX8 with 95k miles on it for 6k

Wenkel Rotary engine and 238 horsepower stock and manual transmission

Will be first manual car

Good idea, bad idea?

Also general RX8/ wenkel engine thread

any info??

bump?

recommend you visit an RX8 devoted board, heard those things require some good care

Are you prepared to be your car's dom? Are you ready to drive it hard and fast and put it away wet because thats how it likes it? Are you prepared to learn how to fix it yourself because no one outside of specialized shops knows what the fuck to do with it?

Then yes

Didn't these usually blow up around 100k with improper maintenance or on the original engine?

$20 on the engine being fucked.

>rx8
>over 90k on the clock
I hope you own another car OP, because this one is about to live inside your local auto shop

>buying an rx8
>buying an rx8 with 98,000 miles
Kek

Never ever buy a car with a rotary engine with anywhere near 100k miles. it will die...

It all depends on the previous owner(s). You could be completely right. It could be a completely fucked up pos.

Too bad the lazy dealer gave me a 16 digit VIN, now I have to wait until Monday to look at the carfax.

But I'd be willing to learn and work on the car as much as needed if it wasn't too fucked.

then again I've heard of owners who perform routine maintenance (i.e. oil change etc) and can keep them running fine, albeit if they are performed regularly.

rx8help.com

>wankel engine
>95k miles

Don't do it
Very bad idea

Only good for engine swaps.

this
drop an LSx into it

Did I tell you it has a rotary

desu the best advice in this thread

rx8+potential 5k engine rebuild
or 10k cobalt ss turbo

cobalt ss turbo for sure

but what about drifting at nigh in parking lot after/during a snowstorm.

If there's snow involved, reverse donuts and handbrake turns is pretty much just as fun

>First manual car.

Fucking yanks. It's easy enough to drive. Just be wary of stalling it cold.

Otherwise look after the cunt and don't be afraid of using the gearstick and you'll get on fine.

I have seen the mazda 13b's live to close to250k and still run strong. it just needs regular care.

Why not? Rebuild is cheap and not that difficult if you aren't brain dead. Still fairly cheap done by a rotsry mechanic if you don't want to do yourself

If it spends more than a week in your local auto shop your local auto shop should he out of business

>6k

holy fuck your market is fucked, they cost under £1k here.

since you arent a rotary guy I wouldnt buy it

kill yourself senpai

Be prepare to rebuild the Renesis engine in it as well as spend some cash on upgraded things like the ignition system and exhaust.

The most you will probably have to do to the engine while rebuilding it is replace apex seals and put new gaskets on. It's alot easier than rebuilding a piston engine but you have to do it right.

Do your research and know what your getting into. Your buying a great newer car with superb handling dynamics for $6k. It's going to need the rebuild sooner or later so don't plan on it being a daily driver for 30k miles after you buy it.

I would budget $10k. $6k for the car and $4k for the rest of it.

i remember they had a recall for a cold starting problem, pretty much just replaced the cat from running uber rich then melting the honeycomb.

They're trash. Not as fast as you would think.
Managed to consistently thrash my mates brand new RX8 in my e36 M3.
That's a 2hp difference, and about 20~ years worth of deterioration. Get an RX7 for more BRRAP.

Buying an unreliable car with an engine that will invariably shit the bed is a bad idea, even if rebuilds are easy.

>decided to check local market
>only one rx8
>16k

listen to this guy if you do get it. don't stall it cold. for this reason alone i'd really be wary of making it your first manual car. just another thing to worry about.

>I'd be willing to learn and work on the car

local school shop has a bunch of high school kids learning to work cars and every year there's a kid that brings in an RX-7. it always leaves on a flatbed.