Anti-Lag Systems

I'm sure most of Veeky Forums's seen the video with the white R34 that spools its turbo and launches... but what's different with this particular car's ALS? Why are there no flames or loud explosions coming from the exhaust like all of the other ALS videos?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=nnppPlVw-sI
youtube.com/watch?v=n_qCd6Lx7pE
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

Doesn't it have to do with how delayed the ignition is?

Why don't they make sexy cars like that any more?

Not really the whole point of this thread, but I feel you, senpai.

How much did the R34 weigh?

Fairly certain it was stock, but idfk. Go ask the person who uploaded the video.

I'm not talking about that one, just a stock R34.

Let's just turn this into a Skyline thread, fuck it.

Anyone know how much R32s are going for in Japan right now? I would strongly consider going to Japan and picking one up (or maybe even an R33 and storing it) if the cost is justifiable. If I can buy a car and work a small vacation in for the price of a cleared car stateside I'd be all over that.

Google it, retard.
Go fuck yourself user. Don't hijack the thread. Do your own research anyways. There's countless videos on the topic.
Look up Derek Weldon.

Yeah, not sure mate. Depends on how much the R32 weighs. Do you know?

Probably almost 12

>be in military
>stationed in Japan
>was told a perk is that we get to ship ONE car back to the states at no charge

Still have to pay and take care of registration tho.

I thought Americans couldn't have Skylines because of some safety thing. Don't you have to wait for like 30 years?

Can we get back on topic? or does nobody actually know what the difference is?

Some guy around me has one. This in NY. Brings it in to our shop once a year for state inspection. I'll have to ask him how he got it here.

The difference in weight between the R32 and R34? Not sure, but I assume the R34 is heavier.

Anti-lag, user. Anti-lag.

See I had just bought a new car when I was putting together my dream sheet and didn't want to deal with selling it or storing it, so I didn't even put Japan down. Had I I'd likely be over there now.

No one gives a shit OP. This is now a Skyline general thread

Sounds like he's running a 2 step, probably spooling with nitrous or just waiting for boost to build, might not even be running antilag. That or he's just not sitting on it long enough to get the backfires.

Or he might just be foot braking the launch, or he might have somehow managed to swap in an auto and he's leaving on a trans brake.

Like this guy, he has no antilag, and as such doesn't get the backfires. Takes him a bit longer to spool, but you get the idea.

youtube.com/watch?v=nnppPlVw-sI

What's the best colour? I actually really live the olive green.

Out, faggot. Go make your own thread.
2-Step is just a certain type of ALS. There's a big sound difference between a transbrake (or just spooling normally) vs that skyline.

It's not using an ignition cut/misfire system and is getting heat into the exhaust manifold some other way.
Or nitrous.

Then why the sound? What the fuck is that beautiful sound? I don't understand how nitrous would help make a turbo spool quicker either. How's that possible?

Nitrous means a larger mass of gas flows through the turbine, allowing it to spool.

I mean, Bayside Blue on the R34 is incredible. That's the dream combo. But in general I think the silver was consistently nice throughout all three gens.

The silver is pure sex.

there was a video of a white subaru launching on a rally stage in ireland or belgium or somewhere that was very similar, i.e no pops and bangs.
many years old, not many views, can't find it sorry.
hth

I guess that makes sense...
Just launching, yeah? Then it must be 2-step. Thanks though, I'll try to find something similar.

And here's something for the Skyline faggots.
/eTMTmufVzbQ?t=52s

no it's not 2 step, it's anti lag.
just a different system that is less stressful on turbos and doesn't make as much noise

you're an ass stfu

Do your fucking research then. It takes less than a minute to find both answers.

Well, 2-step's for launching only.

sorry i'm not being clear.
the video is only of it launching
it's was a proper rally car it had proper anti lag. just quiet.
sorry i can't find that video, iirc the link was sent to me, but this is nice too

youtube.com/watch?v=n_qCd6Lx7pE

What the fuck?

Sort of related to the anti lag thing.
I understand some systems retard timing in order to pump a richer mixture down the exhaust, and open up a valve in the throttle body that circulates air to exhaust, causing the mixture to ignite and thus spooling the turbo. Since this happens when the throttle is released, could you theoretically use a recirculating bov and connect that to your exhaust in order to introduce air into the manifold? Or is that basically the same as the valve that circulates air into the exhaust?

It has a lot to do with how much muffling the car has as well as that is a fuel cut launch control, Not an ignition cut.

I don't see why that wouldn't work.

or an egr valve reversed? that's what evos used to use. item from a supra iirc.
it's kinda what wrc cars use, except with a few simple mods.

25 years to import them.
there used to be easy ways to get around it, ie, you'd register it as a track toy (and since you're rich) swap the vins and plates with an R32/R33 (which are legal to import, as per 25 year rule).
>source - local guy at the drag strip does it

another way was simply not ever registering it. They literally cannot arrest you for driving it on your own private property, it's public streets that are no-nos.

But, all good things must end, this "grey market" (wasn't quite illegal, wasn't quite legal) was pretty much shut down by MBenz back in the day.
People liked eurospec MB's, and would go through many hoops and hurdles to get them.
MB didn't like this, and within a year we've added so much circumstantial bullshit to the import rule it's honestly more worthwhile to wait 25 years than go through the entire process.

It is worth noting that most if not all cars that were sold before the rules were changed are pretty much safe.