Good evening, aut/o/. I'm saving up and about to buy my first car ever (on my own)...

Good evening, aut/o/. I'm saving up and about to buy my first car ever (on my own), and I just can't decide what would suit me best. The truth is, I don't have much of an idea when it comes to autos, especially in these makes and models. Insight or general advice would be most appreciated.

My requirements include:
- AWD/4X4
- Manual transmission
- Small / Mid sized
- 50k to 150k miles
- $2000 to $7000, could pay more but would have to be compelled.
- Something I can drive moderately rough without worrying about it crapping out.
- Inside connected, not a truck.

Right now I'm contemplating Subaru (outback, forester, ...?), Jeep (Cherokee,...?), Honda CRV, Toyota Rav4. I'm not really familiar with other make/models that provide what I need. I need something to go to the mountain with, in the snow and dirt, but don't need a rock crawler or beast.

Should I get a wagon, or a mid sized suv?

Other urls found in this thread:

santafe.craigslist.org/search/cta
santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5565943047.html
santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5565749057.html
santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5554551016.html
santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5554141691.html
santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5563191275.html
santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5550396765.html
santafe.craigslist.org/ctd/5562439569.html
santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5562109069.html
santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5563132679.html
santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5551935495.html
albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5550122616.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

shut up and buy a civic for

What can I expect for $3k? $5k? $7k?

I didn't think Civics have awd?

Spend near the top end of your budget on a low km, newer, 4 door RWD car.

You can't buy a proper manual, 4x4 vehicle within your budget that won't be a complete nightmare.

You don't need awd unless you live on top of a mountain. Snow tires are all you need.

Pontiac Aztek.

Jezus really? $7k won't get me a reliable awd vehicle? Damn...

Civic wagon

>bronco II
>cherokee XJ
>Mitsubishi Montero
>Forester
>GMC S15 Jimmy
>Chevrolet Blazer S10

But I do tho.

Does it snow? Post your local craigslist

Interesting...

>14966920
In the winter. I'd like to spend at least once a week going to the snow resort.

santafe.craigslist.org/search/cta

At $7k you could get a decent Outback or Forrester. In most places the ones with manuals go for less than automatics.

Have you considered some older small sized SUV's? Something like an Explorer, S10, or 4Runner. Those should fit your needs.

It's kinda hard finding manuals I've realized. Also I've noticed people want way for for their vehicle on Craigslist than its probably worth...

Meant S10 Blazer obviously since you don't want a pickup.

S10? I wouldn't mind an explorer, and a 4 runner seems ok but maybe a little big? I would be ok with them, haven't come across many of them. Lots of Subis in New Mexico.

Yeah I meant S10 Blazer, the SUV version. The 4Runner I think only came in a 4 door so it might be bigger than you'd like, but the first and second gen Explores came in a 2 door version (sport trim) that is about 10 inches shorter than the 4 door, still had a good amount of room inside and can seat 4 well.

don't worry about mileage. How it was maintained is more important.

santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5565943047.html

santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5565749057.html

santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5554551016.html

santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5554141691.html

santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5563191275.html

santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5550396765.html

santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5562109069.html

santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5563132679.html

I'll keep it in mind. I'm fine with '90s/'00s models if they have low miles, but I couldn't imagine paying more than 7k for something old like that. How do I figure a good price for a vehicle? It seems like kelley Blue Book has lower prices than what people are actually selling the vehicles for. Is NADA more accurate?

That vw vanagon is giving me a bone

It's hard to go by book values on older vehicles, they are basically worth what people are willing to pay, how much that is depends on where you live and how many are available. A budget of 7k is more than enough to get a 90s/00s small SUV in good condition.

I bought a 97 Explorer XLT for $1,100 a few months ago. It's not in the most amazing condition, but it runs and drive well enough that I wouldn't think twice about driving it long distance. The one I bought is a 5 speed 4x4 model, 4 door, 4.0 engine. You should have no problems finding a 2 door with 4x4 and 5 speed for a few grand, same goes for other similar SUVs like a blazer.

Generally I'd say don't worry too much about miles, just make sure it's been well maintained and isn't a rust bucket.

This might work until i can save up and buy something else. Is 190k miles too many though?

Word. At this point I'll probably just buy something for ~3k until I can save up and have time to really pick out something I want.

santafe.craigslist.org/cto/5551935495.html

This Explorer might be a bit older than you originally wanted but it looks clean as hell, and these first gen Explorers can basically run forever and cost very little to keep running. For only 2k that looks like a solid choice to at least hold you over so you can eventually get something newer/nicer.

Wow only $2, what a steal!

Looks ok I suppose, only issue is getting to the lot will be hard. No car, no friends. I guess I can take a train and call an Uber.

get the VW. he'd probably take 500 off.

Ops a fucking faggot

I bought a 2000 xterra 4x4 5 speed at 135k for 5 grand even in 8/10 shape cosmically and mechanically. In Alaska. In the dead of winter. At a used dealer.
>your experience may vary

What do you guys think of this?

1996 Isuzu rodeo, > 150k miles, $2800

albuquerque.craigslist.org/cto/5550122616.html

In AK? That's a great buy

Yeah and it's held up great up to 155k so far. Also it's the 3.3 v6. 200 HP and 20 something mpg but fuck it she still runs like a champ.

>finding any of these in good condition

yeah, you're going to be pretty hosed in Santa Fe

4х4 = $х$

Xterra is the answer

My step mom just got an Xterra and loves it.

03-06 5speed xterra
Reliable (timeing belt needs to be replaced on 2000-04 models 2005-10 models have shitty automatic transmissions but the 5speed is solid
Mid sized
Can tow 5000+ pounds
Body on frame
Huge after market
Popular for rock crawling
1000-7000 burger bucks

Would love an Xterra if I can find it, unfortunately I'm limited on selection broseph

What area do you live in i can help you find one

>- Manual transmission
Why make your life more difficult?

>manual transmission
>difficult
I suppose you use a Mac too, because other OS are hard

>reliability
>fun
>controll
>price to replace
>resale value (on most cars)
>actully haveing a penis

>reliability
Yes, especially after the idiot who owned the vehicle before you beat the shit out of it.

>fun
Wow, it's so fun commuting in a 4WD truck/SUV and banging through those 15-year-old gears.

>controll
Control to do what? Commute better?

>price to replace
For what OP is getting into (a $3K SUV), it likely will be a better investment to just buy a new vehicle.

>resale value (on most cars)
OP is not going to get shit for his 15-year-old shitbox.

>actully haveing a penis
How about you learn how to spell correctly.

Again, OP, why make your life more difficult? You're greatly limiting your options by seeking out a manual transmission. You can do your mountain driving and handle harsh conditions just fine in an automatic. I've had two 4WD Explorers and a Cherokee in the Snow Belt. All have been been great, I've never gotten stuck and my one Explorer pulled me out of a ditch after I was pushed in there during a terrible blizzard. No manual transmission necessary.

user I know you're probably just trolling, but if OP wants a manual transmission let him get one. It's not like it's a massive inconvenience to find one.

And it's not like it's difficult to drive manual, stop perpetuating that meme.

I personally feel lazy when I'm not driving standard, and I feel like my driving performance drops because of it.

1. If you don't think limiting yourself to a manual transmission small SUV, you're wrong.

2. I never said it was difficult to drive a manual. However for OP's stated purposes, it's not necessary, so he shouldn't limit his options.

This

Automatic transmissions belong in fwd shit boxes rock crawlers and taxis

but in your other comment you said >Why make your life more difficult?

It is not that difficult to find a small SUV with a manual from the 90's or 00's. Less common than an auto, but not exactly rare. Settling for something you don't want because it was slightly easier to find is stupid and will lead ot buyers' remorse.

Also manual transmissions are simply more reliable than their automatic counterparts from that time period, how many automatic Explorers make it past 150k without needing a transmission rebuild? They just don't last as long as a manual. It's less headaches, plus better MPG and it's overall more pleasant to drive. 90's slushbox autos suck.

Is automatic transmission really driving though? More like steering with intent.

Manual transmissions have been known to be more reliable faster gwt bettwr mpgs and help keep the driver more focoused on the road and less likley to smoke

Well yeah I'd agree with you there but in this case that's not even the main issue, I'm just saying that automatics from the 90's suck in every way and if you can avoid buying one, you should.

Just get an Audi Quattro, like S4 if you're into spending money or an A4 if you're not into spending money.

I don't think I'll ever wilfully buy an automatic if I have a choice, desu. I can embarrass myself in many other ways.

Yes, and if you would refer to my followup post, I flesh out what I meant. Read everything, not just what you want to make your argument.

>Explorers make it past 150k without needing a transmission rebuild?

For me? Two. My 1993 simply rotted out from 8 months a year of salt on the roads and the rust that comes with it. Replacing parts just becomes more expensive than the vehicle is worth. Plus, it had all the body rust that came with Explorers of that year. It went 256K and never a transmission problem. My 2002 went 192K before, again, it rotted out. Never had a transmission problem.

The only correct answer

Sexy

Famalam, 90's automatic transmissions suck, that's it. Manuals of that era are superior. That's it. Telling OP to get one is silly.

>shitposts some autistic meme despite completely going against what OP is looking for
B-but it's funny, right? :^)

If you don't mind guessing your range, try a 90s suburban or tahoe. Gmc variants are prefered and typically have 454s in them as "da polic" used gmcs a lot.