Timeline thread #2

So far we have 115 dates, and I think it's slowly starting to look like something.

To add an event, name the date and event and EXPLAIN WHY IT IS RELEVANT. The criterion of relevance is that you must be able to show how it changed the world, and (directly or indirectly) affected the world we live in today in a notable way.

You can find the timeline here: docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1hUi0-QWIvQ5cSCvOWfxGt8UGYSyFQGOPjw58Cg8PXwg/. Use the button at the top left to filter events by category or by civilisation.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_War_of_Independence
thenagain.info/WebChron/China/Talas.html
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qin's_wars_of_unification#Aftermath
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_reforms
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar#Aftermath_of_the_assassination
newgeology.us/presentation32.html
evidentcreation.com/TRM-Logerr.html
youtube.com/watch?v=shyI-aQaXD0
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

I think a few more natural history dates would deserve inclusion.

1994: creation of Veeky Forums and birth of memetics.

490 BC Battle of Marathon

Yeah it's kind of a sudden leap from birth of the universe to invention of stone tools.

So go ahead, make suggestions.

You mean because it prevented the Persians from conquering Greece? The Greco-Persian Wars lasted another 40 years though, are we sure Marathon is the most decisive battle?

I'd say the victory of Greece over Persia belongs on that list. arguably Salamis (480 BC) is noteworthy too. These two battles at the very least guaranteed the rise of Athens to a power equal to Sparta. They became the defenders of the Ionians, leading to the Peloponnese Wars.

Thanks, added Marathon.

I was going to leave out Salamis for now since Marathon seems to have been the turning point, but just realised Xerxes had taken Athens and ordered it razed before the battle. Can't decide.

you will always have that problem, not only in this case. Compares to leaving out 1939, the start of WW2. it is pretty significant. Wars don't always boil down to one decisive battle. But yeah, you have to choose between a compact list that is more general - or a detailed, longer list.

Well I'm trying to think in terms of "turning points". For WW2 I think there are two that make sense: Stalingrad, and the US joining the war (so Pearl Habor I suppose).

The start of wars usually aren't really turning points since they generally follow a long buildup of tensions and conflicts.

I like your idea of creating a timeline. as long as it is possible to understand your way of thinking i don't see a problem. keep it up

Euclid's Elements, for founding geometry.

What about the Berlin Conference in 1885, which started the scramble for Africa?

Didn't it already start before, and the conference was just about trying to organise it?

>and the US joining the war (so Pearl Habor I suppose)

USA's contribution is WW2 is vastly overrated, it was mainly a conflict between Germany and Russia

Thanks m8.

Will add.

I think the other poster may be right.

Yeah but the US joining prevented Western Europe from being conquered by Russia, and most importantly marks the moment when America replaces Britain as the world's foremost power.

It would have been better if Russia had continued on to France and Italy

>it was mainly a conflict between Germany and Russia

Shit Europeans say.

I know American education is bad, but you guys seem to completely ignore the entire Asian side of the conflict.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greek_War_of_Independence

This marked the beginning of the end of the Ottoman Empire.

What about the Opium Wars? They caused the fall of China as a perceived world power and had it fragmented into spheres of influence that would shape what the country would turn into.

Arab Spring?

1215 - The murder of Buondelmonte de' Buondelmonti causing the wars between the Pope and the Holy Roman Empire.

1356 - The Golden Bull which made the HRE move from a federation where all Princes vote for the Emperor to being decided between only Seven Prince Electors. And controls over their duchies became integral of European politics until Napoleon controlled 5 of the Seven Electors forcing Francis the I to dismantle the Empire.

1720 - Peter I, Grand Prince of Moscow declares himself Tsar of All the Russias and Russia unifies. Prince Victor Amadeus declares himself King of Sardinia, which would eventually conquer all of Italy.

1763 - France loses its colonial Empire to Britain. Prussia becomes a major power.

Oh forgot another good one.

1927 - Stalin defeats Trosky and becomes head of the Communist party in the Soviet Union.

1949 - Soviet Nuclear Weapons test.

It's GRANADA, not Grenada. Grenada is in the Caribbean.

-3500 BC domestication of the horse
Led to the inventions of chariots, cavalry, and spread of Indo-European languages across the Eurasian continent

How about first lifeforms?
First vertebrates?
First humanoids?
Mass extinction events?
I can go get the dates but first, tell me, do these fit?

This historical record is HEAVILY western/eurocentric.

>Ashoka converts to buddhism.
that's the only non-western, non modern historical event.

Can there be more eastern, african, even maybe some precolombian history included?

no. this is history, not biology.

2nd this

also 2016: moot dies

Yeah, I think you're right. I used the London Protocol, hope that's right.

Which date would you suggest?

Yeah I'd be tempted to. It's a bit early to tell, but I think it will almost certainly have long term effects.

Yeah sorry, fixed it.

Fair enough.

We already have natural history dates, so I'd say yes why not. It doesn't run the risk of cluttering the timeline since they won't overlap with human history.

Well suggest some. But keep in mind events shouldn't be added for aesthetic reasons of balance alone.

>wars between the Pope and the Holy Roman Empire.
Those started much earlier than 1215, and in fact ended earlier as well with the Concordat of Worms in 1122. I think you mean the Guelphs and Ghibellines in Northern Italy, but I'm not sure how significant that is.

>The Golden Bull which made the HRE move from a federation where all Princes vote for the Emperor to being decided between only Seven Prince Electors.
You mean it reduced the number of electing princes? Is that really that important?

>1720 - Peter I, Grand Prince of Moscow declares himself Tsar of All the Russias and Russia unifies. Prince Victor Amadeus declares himself King of Sardinia, which would eventually conquer all of Italy.
I can't quite figure out what actually changed in either of those events.

>1763 - France loses its colonial Empire to Britain. Prussia becomes a major power.
OK yes, the Seven Years War should probably be included.

>1927 - Stalin defeats Trosky and becomes head of the Communist party in the Soviet Union.
What specifically did this change? Would Russia have gone a completely different direction otherwise? Did Trotsky even stand a chance?

>1949 - Soviet Nuclear Weapons test.
I don't know, there are nine nuclear powers today, I don't think we'll add it for each of them. And it's not like Russia wasn't already a superpower.

>I don't know, there are nine nuclear powers today, I don't think we'll add it for each of them
the Soviet Union is specifically important because this leads to MAD (mutually assured destruction). not to mention Russia still has the most nukes out of any country

>that constant Charlemagne dicksucking
Reminder that the Arab siege of Constantinople was what stopped the Arabs.

Battle of the Talas River in 751.

Resulted in Chinese Buddhism being cut off from Indian Buddhism and contained the spread of Tang influence to the east. Also helped spread Paper making tech to the middle east.

Ironic anyone would claim such since the caliphate never attempted invasion of france again.

Nigga you don't even know the difference between Charlemagne and Charles Martel, you don't know shit.

Primordial memes predate Veeky Forums

The records of the grand historian is included as a a critical to the foundation of imperial china but the crowning of Gao Zu or Qin Shi Huang isn't?

Actually for the Seven Years War, I had always heard it was a major step for Prussia but looking at it I can't tell how. It seems to me like the more decisive moment for the rise of Prussia was the Austrian War of Succession.

I think you're right, ok will add.

I guess I'll have to trust you on this one, since I know next to nothing about Chinese history. Did Chinese Buddhism closely follow Indian Buddhism before then and then significantly diverge?

>The Records has been called a "foundational text in Chinese civilization".[2] After Confucius and the First Emperor of Qin, "Sima Qian was one of the creators of Imperial China, not least because by providing definitive biographies, he virtually created the two earlier figures."[3]
This seemed rather convincing.

But yeah I only add events if someone suggests them.

Chinese Buddhism follows a different cannon and developed east asian and zen buddhism. But paper making was another lasting influence that then spread to the ME then to Europe. idk how you'd compress that.

>Islam's widespread emergence coupled with China's over-expansion, led to the Battle at Talas River, the only battle between Arab Muslim forces and the army of the Chinese Empire. The Chinese troops were led by Kao Hsien-chih, who had been successful in battles in Gilgit and in the Farghana region. But his success did not carry over, as the Muslim armies were victorious. The Muslims chose not to pursue the Chinese into central Asia.

>While the battle in itself was of minor importance, its ramifications on the future were very significant. The Arabs were put in a position to extend their Islamic influence throughout central Asia and its silk routes. The T'ang (in China) lost a good amount of power and their westward advance was halted. Muslim shipping in the Indian Ocean improved, which restricted the ocean's contacts with Hindu and Buddhist areas. The Muslims were never able to take control of the Himalayan northern borderlands. Paper manufacturing, an unexpected byproduct from the Battle of Talas, was first spread to Samarkand and Baghdad, then from there carried to Damascus, Cairo, and Morocco, and finally entered Europe through Italy and Spain. This diffusion originated when Chinese prisoners who knew how to make paper, an art discovered in China at least 650 years earlier, were taken by the Arabs at the Talas River. But most importantly, the Battle of Talas led to the An Lushan revolt, which broke out in 755. This rebellion paralyzed China for years and weakened the Tang dynasty until it collapsed a century and a half later.

>thenagain.info/WebChron/China/Talas.html

Sima Qians work was started by historians of the past particularly his father. I suggest adding either the founding of the Han dynasty by Liu Bang in 202 BC. Or Zhao Zheng crowning himself the first emperor in 220 BC. The former being arguably the most famous of dynasties of which 90% of china identifies itself as and the latter starting the tradition that lasts until the 20th century.

I can see the importance of the unification of China so I'll add the Qing dynasty (though I think the date is 221?), but I'm not sure for Han. I know the Han period is considered a golden age for China, but was that specifically due to Han rule? What exactly changed when the Han dynasty came to power?

Thanks, I gave it a shot.

1206 - Temugin was officially proclaimed Khan of all the Mongols, taking the name/title Genghis Khan.

Check again, that's already in there. Unless you think the text should be changed.

>221
Qi was conquered in 221 yes but he did not officially crown himself emperor until 220, which is the year his reign officially begins. In my opinion the act of distinguishing himself from the rulers of the past trumps the acquisition of territory.

>Why is the han important
Aside from the end of the Qin who was considered tyrannical for centuries after. Conquests that established the silk road and paper making are two that spring to mind as some of the most important. There was a lot of advancement in all the sciences and likewise technological advancements but the same can be said of any golden age I suppose.

Do you have a source? Wikipedia says 221:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qin's_wars_of_unification#Aftermath
>In 221 BC, after the conquest of Qi, Ying Zheng proclaimed himself "Qin Shi Huang" (秦始皇; lit. "First Emperor of Qin") and established the Qin dynasty.

>Conquests that established the silk road and paper making are two that spring to mind as some of the most important. There was a lot of advancement in all the sciences and likewise technological advancements but the same can be said of any golden age I suppose.
Then those events should be added individually. Unless there is something that makes the Han rulers fundamentally different without which those events wouldn't have been possible,

The Magna Carta shouldn't be included, its importance is a 17th century myth. It didn't guarantee individual rights, only the rights of barons, and it wasn't respected, it was just an unsuccessful attempt at preventing the First Barons War.

A better date would be the battle of Bouvines in 1214, which established Capetian dominance over the Angevins, and aside from being hugely important for France, weakened the Angevins enough for the Magna Carta to happen, and especially for the barons to win the First Barons War with the support of a French invasion.

-50000 (roughly)
Domestication of the domestic dog.

Seriously, most of the events on the timeline have not shaped our lifestyle, both historically and in 2016, as much as dogs have.

Well fuck, you're completely right.

The Magna Carta seemed like such a no-brainer that I didn't think to research it. It goes to show nothing should be taken for granted.

>only 3 east asian events in the entire timeline

Let's fix that.

-3630: Silk is invented by the ancient Chinese "Yangshao Culture".

-2361: Chinese peoples make their first contact with the Vietnamese.

-2070: The Xia Dynasty, the first dynasty in traditional Chinese history, is founded by Yu the Great.

-1675: Tang of Shang takes the Chinese throne, marking the beginning of the Shang dynasty in China.

-1250: Oracle Bones are first used in China for purposes of divination.

-1046: The Zhou dynasty comes to power in China.

-771: The Spring and Autumn period begins in China.

-660: Mythical Emperor Jimmu ascends to the throne of Wa, marking the end of Age of the Gods and start of traditional Japanese history.

-551: Confucius is born in China.

-475: The Spring and Autumn period ends and the Warring States (period begins in China.

-400: The earliest surviving Chinese maps and star catalogs appeared.

-342: The crossbow was first used in China.

-221: The state of Qin emerges victorious from the Chinese warring states period, and unifies China as an Empire for the first time in history. The Imperial Seal is carved from a historically famous piece of jade, and it would serve as a symbol of legitimacy for centuries.

-220: To protect China from raiding nomads of the Eurasian steppe, the construction of the Great Wall of China begins.

-202: Liu Bang claims the title of Emperor and founds the Han dynasty, styling himself as Emperor Gaozu.

-190: The Silk Road is firmly established as a trade route from East Asia to Europe, with the Chinese city of Chang'An as its eastern terminus.

-140: The Chinese Emperor Wu makes Confucianism the official philosophy/religion of China.

-60: The Protectorate of the Western Regions is established, marking the first time China exerted hegemony over Central Asia.

-30: The earliest surviving mention of the wheelbarrow appears.

9: After rising to power in the Han court, Wang Mang declares himself emperor of the Xin dynasty, which existed alongside the Han dynasty in conflict.

25: The short-lived Xin dynasty is ended, restoring the Han dynasty to its former dominance of China under Emperor Guangwu.

97: The Chinese general Ban Chao sends the envoy Gan Ying to the outskirts of the Roman Empire. While he only manages to reach Parthia and never meets the Roman Emperor, he brings back stories of the Roman Empire to the Chinese, who come to refer to it respectfully as "Da Qin", a sort of counterpart to China on the other side of the world.

105: Chinese eunuch Cai Lun invents papermaking.

132: Zhang Heng, a Chinese polymath, invents the first seismograph, capable of detecting when an earthquake occurred and in which direction the epicenter lied.

166: A Roman envoy arrives at the Han Chinese capital Luoyang.

220: The Han Dynasty ends with the force abdication of Xian Han and the ascension of Cao Pi, styled Cao Wei, signaling the beginning of the Three Kingdoms period in China.

280: The Jin dynasty conquers Wu, ending the Three Kingdoms Period in China and unifying China under their hegemony.

386: The Wei dynasty takes power in Northern China, beginning the Southern and Northern Dynasties period.

399: Faxian, a Chinese Buddhist Monk, leaves for India to acquire Buddhist texts.

420: Liu Wu deposes Emperor Gong and establishes the Liu Song dynasty in southern China.

475: Bodhidharma arrives in China, marking the introduction of Chan Buddhism to China. He would later physically train Shaolin monks and develop Shaolin Kung Fu.

479: The Liu Song dynasty is ended and the Qi dynasty begins in southern China.

502: The Qi dynasty gives way to the Liang dynasty in south China.

538: Buddhism reaches Japan, and the Asuka period begins. The country ceases to be known as "Wa" and is renamed "Nihon".

557: The Liang dynasty is replaced by the Chen dynasty in southern China.

577: The Northern Qi dynasty is overthrown by the Northern Zhou in China.

581: The short-lived Northern Zhou are replaced by the Sui dynasty in Northern China. The Sui would later reunite Northern and Southern China into one, ending the Northern and Southern Dynasties period.

609: The Grand Canal is completed in China.

618: The Sui dynasty ends and is replaced by the Tang dynasty, who would usher in an era of peace and prosperity after prolonged division in China.

635: The first Christian missionaries arrive in China. Nestorian monks from Anatolia and the Sasanian Empire build the Daqin Pagoda.

640: China establishes the Protectorate General to Pacify the West, re-establishing their rule over central asia.

673: With the reign of Emperor Tenmu, Japan becomes an empire.

735: Heavy smallpox epidemic occurs in Japan, resulting in third of population perishing, 10 years of social instability and 3 transfers of the capital.

May-September 751: The Battle of Talas - A combined force of the Abbasid Calihpate and the Tibetan Empire defeat the Tang Dynasty in battle in Transoxiana. This would mark the expansion of Islam in Central Asia and a recession of Chinese influence there. It would also mean Chinese Buddhism becoming isolated from Indian Buddhism, and evolving into a distinctly separate religious tradition.

806: The Japanese Kana scripts (invention popularly attributed to Kūkai) have evolved as distinct from Chinese characters.

845: The Great Anti-Buddhist Persecution: In China, Tang Emperor Wuzong abolished Buddhist monasteries as well as establishments of Zoroastrianism and Christianity, which were thought to be Buddhist heresies.

907: The Tang dynasty ends in China, ushering in a period of conflict called the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms Period.

917: The earliest Chinese reference to Greek Fire appears. Two years later, the flamethrower would first be described.

950: In China, hand grenades are depicted for the first time.

960: The Song Dyansty rises to power, ending the Five Dynasties and Ten Kingdoms period of Chinese history.

1068: The Dry Dock was first used in China.

August 18th, 1227: The Mongol Khagan Genghis Khan dies.

1271: Kublai Khan founds the Yuan Dynasty after conquering much of China. He would later conquer it completely.

1274: 1st Mongol invasion in Japan repulsed in Battle of Bun'ei, said to have been aided by a "divine wind", a typhoon that led to the sinking of the Mongol fleet. A second invasion seven years later would also end in failure.

1294: The Yuan Dynasty under Temur Khan, styled Chengzong of Yuan, controls all of China.

1336: In Japan, the Ashikaga shogunate establishes domination over the imperial Northern Court. The "Daimyo" system is established.

1351: The Red Turban Rebellion: A large-scale rebellion against Mongolian rule in China is planned by the White Lotus Society. Various Chinese warlords rise up against the Yuan dynasty, and launch a fight for supremacy.

1368: The Ming dynasty unifies China under its rule, ushering in an era of stability under ethnic Chinese rule. It would be the last imperial dynasty run by ethnic Han Chinese to rule China.

1420: The capital of China is moved from Nanjing to Beijing, where it remains today.

1467: The Onin War marks the beginning of the Japanese "Sengoku Jidai", a period of civil war and feudal power struggles where violence and war became the norm.

1477: Kyoto, once the thriving capital of Japan, has been completely destroyed by the devastating Onin war.

August 15th, 1511: The Portugese conquer the Sultanate of Malacca.

1516: The Portugese explorer Jorge Alvarez arrives in Hong Kong.

1543: The first Europeans arrive in Japan, opening the Nanban trade period.

1557: The Kingdom of Portugal establishes a permanent Chinese trade settlement in the city of Macau.

1572: Japan starts to stabilize under the conquests of Oda Nobunaga, signalling a beginning of the end for the bloody Sengoku period.

1582: The Honnouji Incident: An Oda general, Akechi Mitsuhide, betrays Oda Nobunaga and forces him to commit seppuku, ending Nobunaga's bid for total domination of Japan, and allowing Totoyomi Hideyoshi to fill the power vacuum.

1590: Chinese author Wu Cheng'en wrote Journey to the West.

August 4th, 1590: Totoyomi Hideyoshi defeats the Houjou clan in the siege of Odawara, completing his re-unification of Japan.

May 23rd 1592: Totoyomi Hideyoshi, ruler of Japan, orders an invasion of Korea.

December 16th 1598: The Japanese invasions of Korea end with the Japanese defeat in the Battle of Noryang.

1602: The Dutch East India Company (VOC) began shipping Chinese ceramics to Europe.

March 24th 1603: In Japan, the Edo Period begins as Tokugawa Ieyasu rises to the office of Shogun.

1635: In Japan, the Sakoku Edict of 1635 was issued, barring Japanese from leaving Japan and barring Europeans from entering, on pain of death. It instituted strict penalties for the practice of Catholicism and severely restricted foreign trade.

1644: The Manchurian Qing Dynasty overthrows the Ming Dynasty to become the final imperial dynasty in Chinese history.

1711: The East India Company (EIC) established a trading post in Guangzhou.

1721: The Chinese Rites controversy, a long debate among catholic clerics over whether Chinese ancestor worship and traditional practices could be considered acceptable when practiced alongside Christian theology, moved the Emperor of China to ban all Christian missionaries.

1807: Protestant missionaries begin a campaign of conversion in China that would last until the rise of communism, with the last missions expelled by the Communist government in 1953.

June 3rd, 1839: Owing to the devastation the Opium trade was causing in China, The Qing Imperial Commissioner Lin Zexu ordered the destruction of roughly a thousand tons of opium seized from East India Company merchants in Humen. This would eventually lead to the First Opium War, a punitive war launched by Great Britain against China to protect its trade rights in the region.

1842: In Japan, the Tenpō Reforms greatly overhaul Japanese society by prohibiting immigration to the capital, further reducing contacts with Europeans, banning Western books or learning, and writing Buddhism out of the religious calendar.

August 29th 1842: The First Opium War ended with the Treaty of Nanking, under which China agreed to end the monopoly of the Cohong, pay reparations for the war and the destruction of opium, and cede Hong Kong Island in perpetuity. This would be the first of many such "unequal treaties" imposed on Qing China by foreign nations.

July 14th, 1853: U.S. Commodore Mathew C. Perry arrives off the coast of Japan in four ships. Perry orders harbor buildings to be shelled to force negotiations for a letter President Millard Fillmore sent to the ruler of Japan. This incident was coined as the "Arrival of the Black Ships" in Japanese History.

February 1854: Commodore Perry returns with twice the number of his "black ships", and finds that the Tokugawa Shogunate has submitted to nearly all of the demands made by US President Filmore. A month later, Japan would sign the Convention of Kanagawa, an "unequal treaty" opening trade with the US. Within five years, Japan signs similar unequal treaties with other western countries such as Russia and Great Britain, thus ending an isolation period of more than 200 years known as "Sakoku", whereby the Dutch and Chinese ships had limited trade exclusivity.

October 23rd, 1856: The British Empire and the French shell Guangzhou, and the Second Opium War begins.

1858: The Qing dynasty signs the Treaty of Tientsin, under which foreigners were granted greater freedom of movement within China and France and the United Kingdom were promised war reparations. However, the second Opium War would not end for another two years. In the same year, China signs the Treaty of Aigun, ceding to Russia the land north of the Amur River.

October 18th, 1860: Franco-British forces loot and burn the Old Summer Palace, the home of the Qing emperor located in Beijing. Six days later, the Qing surrender, and sign the Convention of Peking, ratifying the Treaty of Tientsin and ceding the Kowloon Peninsula in perpetuity to the United Kingdom.

1868: In Japan, the Boshin War occurs between the Tokugawa Shogunate and those seeking to return power to the Imperial Court. Imperial victory marks the end of the Tokugawa Shogunate. The Meiji Restoration occurs as a result, restoring the Imperial Court to power, and causing many reforms which helped industrialize Japan and bring it to modernity by the early twentieth century.

1877: The Satsuma Rebellion, an uprising in Japan of disaffected Samurai against the newly empowered Imperial Court, is decisively crushed. This marks the end of all serious military opposition to the Meiji Restoration.

August 1st, 1894: The First Sino-Japanese war, also known as the Qing-Japanese war or War of Jiawu, begins, primarly fought for control of Korea.

April 17th, 1895: After a string of Chinese defeats in the 1st Sino-Japanese War, the Qing government would end the war by signing the Treaty of Shimonoseki, ceding Korea and Taiwan to the Japanese Empire. This embarassing loss of Korea as a vassal state would later spark a chain of events which would result in China's Xinhai Revolution.

May 29th, 1895: Japan invades Taiwan to enforce its newfound rule over the inhabitants, defeating the short-lived unreocgnized state known as the Republic of Formosa.

June 21st, 1900: The Boxer Rebellion occurs. In response to anti-foreign unrest in China, the Empress Dowager Cixi issued the Imperial Decree of declaration of war against foreign powers, declaring war on the Russian Empire, United States, United Kingdom, Japan, France, German Empire, Italy, Spain, Austria-Hungary, Belgium, and the Netherlands simultaneously. Following this declaration, the "Eight-Nation Alliance" teamed up to deal China a devastating string of defeats.

September 7th, 1901: Qing China is forced to agree to the Boxer Protocol, under which the Eight-Nation Alliance was granted war reparations and the right to station troops in the capital Beijing.

February 8th, 1904: Japan launches a surprise torpedo attack on the Russian navy at Port Arthur, beginning the Russo-Japanese war.

September 5th, 1905: The Russo-Japanese war ends with the signing of the Treaty of Portsmouth. Russia would cede territory and property to Japan, who emerged as the victors.

January 1st, 1912: The Xinhai rebellion occurs, in which the newly formed Republic of China would fight against- the Qing Dynasty, seeking to end two millenia of imperial rule. Just over a month later, the last emperor of China, Puyi, would sign a treaty with the Republicans that removed his power over the govenrment and left him as emperor in name only.

August 23rd, 1914: Japan, allied with Great Britain, as well as seeking German pacific territories and international renown in postwar politics, declares war on Germany, entering World War I.

January 8th, 1915: Japan issues the 21 Demands to China, including demands for territory in Shandong, Manchuria and Inner Mongolia, rights of extraterritoriality for its citizens in China, and influence in China's internal affairs. After a boycott by Chinese citizens and many concessions on the part of the Japanese, they eventually signed a more reasonable treaty. This incident would be the end of cordial relations between the British and the Japanese.

1916: After the President of the Republic of China ceded power to a military strongman named Yuan Shikai to preserve national unity, that same man attempted to crown himself Emperor of China. However, he died in this year after his failed bid to unify China, and the resulting power vacuum led to a period of division and conflict. China would be divided into various countries including republics, dictatorships, and communist states.

March 1st, 1919: The March 1st Movement signals the beginning of the Korean Independence Movement.

1927: During the first year of the reign of Emperor Hirohito, the Showa Financial Crisis rocks the Japanese economy. The Showa Financial Crisis would later be recognized as one of the early signs of the oncoming Great Depression.

September 18th, 1931: The Mukden Incident, a bombing of a Japanese railway in Manchuria, is staged by the Japanese military as a pretext for an invasion of Manchuria. The invasion begins immediately after the incident.

November 1931: The Soviet Republic of China was founded. Mao Zedong, who would later lead the People's Republic of China, gained experience in leadership and warfare during its existence. It was eventually defeated and dissolved by the republican Nationalist government.

March 1st, 1932: Japan conquers Manchuria and establishes the puppet state of Manchukuo.

October 16th, 1934: The Long March: The Chinese Workers' and Peasants' Red Army broke through the Nationalist lines attempting to encircle them at Ganzhou. This would turn the tide of Chinese civil war to the Communists, and begin Mao Zedong's meteoric rise to power.

March 7th, 1937: The Marco Polo Bridge Incident: Roughly one hundred Chinese soldiers were killed defending the Marco Polo Bridge in Beijing from a Japanese attack. Following this, the Communists and Nationalists would come together to form an uneasy "united front" against Japanese aggression.

July 7th, 1937: The Second Sino-Japanese War begins. It would later merge into the greater conflict known as World War II, as part of the Pacific Front.

December 19th, 1937: The Rape of Nanking: Nanjing fell to the Japanese Central China Area Army. A six-week massacre began in which tens of thousands of women were raped and as many as three hundred thousand civilians were killed.

December 7th, 1941: Japan attacks the US Hawaiian port of Pearl Harbor, and declares war on the US, the Dutch, and the British, marking their entry into WWII and the creation of the Pacific Front.

August 6th, 1945: The United States drops two atomic bombs on Japan, one in Hiroshima and the other in Nagasaki, marking the beginning of the Atomic age and demonstrating on the world stage the awesome might of nuclear weapons. Nine days later, Japan would surrender to the Allies.

May 3rd, 1947: Japan's new post-war constitution goes into effect.

October 1st, 1949: Mao Zedong declares the founding of the People's Republic of China. A month later, the Republic of China would move its capital to Taiwan and the PRC would come to control all of China, the first unifying force since the fall of the Qing dynasty.

1958: The Great Leap Forward: The Chinese Communist Party led campaigns to massively overhaul the Chinese economy and society with such innovations as collective farming and the use of backyard furnaces. This campaign would cause a famine that would claim over 40 million lives in China, known as the Great Chinese Famine.

August 19th, 1966: The Cultural Revolution begins in China, in which the Communist Party attempted to purge all remnants of old Chinese culture, including historical records and cultural artifacts, as well as capitalist practices and religious influences.

September 18th, 1980: China implements a one-child policy in order to control population growth, under which families may only raise one child. Because raising a male child was seen as preferable to a female, and each family could only choose one or the other, this policy led to the killing, exposure, or abandonment of thousands of Chinese infant girls.

April 15th, 1989: Tiananmen Square protests of 1989: A crowd gathered at the Monument to the People's Heroes to mourn the liberal former CPC official Hu Yaobang. The military was called in to quell the demonstration, and a famous picture was taken of a protestor refusing to move in the face of an oncoming tank column.

1991: In Japan, the "Lost Decade" begins. After a period of booming growth, the Japanese asset price bubble pops, causing a collapse of the Japanese economy and a significant effect on the global economy as well.

July 1st, 1997: The United Kingdom officially returns the sovereignty of Hong Kong to Chinese hands, marked by the Hong Kong handover ceremony. Nearly two years later, Portugal would transfer ownership of Macau in a similar fashion.

think that's it

Fuck man, I appreciate your enthusiasm and a few of those seem good (I'll have to take some time to look through), but

>EXPLAIN WHY IT IS RELEVANT. The criterion of relevance is that you must be able to show how it changed the world, and (directly or indirectly) affected the world we live in today in a notable way.

(which is also why we don't add so much at once)

Also here's some natural history dates that are a bit important.

-4 567 000 000: The Sun forms.
-4 500 000 000: The Sun enters its main sequence, and the Earth of a size we know today forms.
-4 250 000 000: Earliest evidence of life on Earth.
-3 850 000 000: Earliest evidence of photosynthesis. When photosynthesis developed, atmospheric oxygen became common on Earth.
-541 000 000: The Cambrian Explosion occurs, massively increasing biodiversity on Earth. The first Vertabrates, including Fish, appear.
-450 000 000: The first plants and animals begin to colonize the land.
-315 000 000: First evidence of repitles.
-251 400 000: The Permian Extinction event ushers in the Mesozoic Era, the Triassic Period and the age of dinosaurs.
-215 000 000: The first mammals appear.
-155 000 000: The first birds appear.
-66 000 000: The Cretaceous–Paleogene extinction event marks the end of the Mesozoic era and the beginning of the current Cenozoic Era.
-18 000 000: Estimated age of the split between primate groups that resulted in the emergence of the Hominidae family, to which humans belong.
-6 000 000: Estimated age of the split between the Homo and Pan genuses, to which modern humans and chimpanzees belong respectively.
-3 000 000: North and South America are joined by the Isthmus of Panama.
-2 600 000: The current Ice Age begins.
-1 500 000: Earliest possible evidence of the controlled use of fire by Homo Erectus.

Yeah I realize not all of that qualifies for being added, I recommend you read through it and pick out things you think were globally important. Stuff like the Northern and Southern dynasties or most of the various dynasty changes can probably be omitted. But stuff like the invention of the Dry Dock, the establishment of major powers like the Ming or Tokugawa, the birth of Confucius, and the Opium War really need to be there. Sino-Roman stuff can be included for fun.

op confirmed for eurocentric western shill. probably a hypercapitalist jew too.

>1808-1810
>Spain gets occupied by the french, and it's king, Ferdinand VII, abdicates and gets replaced by Napoleon's brother, Joseph Bonaparte.
>The spanish colonies begin to revolt due to the illegitimacy of Joseph.
>These revolt resulted in the independence of most of Latin America.
>It´s relevance lies in the fact that it was in the year 1810 that the collapse of the Spanish Empire began.
I hope I was able to convince you to add the date to the timeline OP. I figured it was important how this year marked the beggining of the end to the Spanish Empire.
Anyway, keep up the great job. It's nice to see some actual historical content in this board.

You could easily include over a thousand events into the list..

Nice. I was actually looking up some of the same things but found slightly different dates for some of them:

- where did you find such a precise date for the Sun? All I got was 4.6 bya
- 4.54 bya for Earth
- 4.4 bya for RNA life
- 3.4 bya for photosynthesis
- 530 mya for first animals on land (first footprints)
- 525 mya for first vertebrates (I guess not immediately at the Cambrian explosion)
- 434 mya for land plants and fungi
- 395 mya for land tetrapods (amphibians)
- 320 mya for reptiles
- 225 mya for mammals
- 160 mya for birds
- 12 mya for hominidae
- 7 mya for hominins

Don't know which are more correct, but I'm guessing a lot of those have a pretty big margin of error. The only one of yours I'm not sure we should include is Panama. Also for fire, I settled on 400 kya earlier since apparently that's still the scientific consensus, and all the evidence of older domestication seems to be still disputed, but I'm not sure so tell me if you know more.

I'll go ahead and make a few extra suggestions though, maybe let me know what you think:

- 13.3 bya: first galaxies
- 9 bya: formation of the Milky Way
- 4.527 bya: Theia impact (formation of the Moon and change of the Earth's atmosphere)
- 4.44 bya: Earth surface hardens
- 3.6 bya: first cells
- 2.1 bya: multicellular organisms
- 2 bya: first eukaryotes (cell nucleus)
- 1.2 bya: sexual reproduction (red algae, really important for boosting evolution)
- 665 mya: first animals (sponges)
- 600 mya: first worm with a central nervous system and light-sensitive cells (not sure about the date, but pretty important since it's the earliest brain, and primitive eyes allow for predator-prey dynamics and another huge boost in evolution)
- 60 mya: first primates

Yeah I agree with those, though will have to check which dates exactly (for example I don't think birth dates are good, for instance for Plato and Aristotle we went with the foundation of the Academy and Lyceum, which is when they started writing, I don't know what a good date for Confucius would be).

>Sino-Roman stuff can be included for fun
lol, my first thought was "I really want to put that in there, but we can't really justify it". I was surprised at the respectful attitude of calling Rome the Western China though, not like Mongols or Ottomans to whom every foreign land was a wayward province.

Yes, I think maybe go with the abdications of Bayonne in 1808? And thanks for your support, it's much appreciated.

I'm expecting a few hundred, but we'll see how it goes.

Correction, the Milky Way was actually formed 13.21 bya (so I'm guessing at the same time as most galaxies). The date I had is for the thin disk of the Milky Way, which is actually the last stage of a galaxy's formation (and is where our solar system is, which makes sense since ours is a third generation sun).

Also the centralised nervous system seems to be a bilateria thing, of which the first known fossils are 555 million years old.

>not like Mongols or Ottomans to whom every foreign land was a wayward province.

To be fair the Chinese considered basically all of their neighbors to be barbarians. I'm pretty sure the only reason they respected Rome so much was because they were so far away. If they were neighbors they probably would have engaged in power struggles. The same goes for Rome's opinion of China - they considered many of their neighbors barbarians but they did seem to at least have some respect for the quality of Chinese goods, if not China as a whole. Of course some Romans actually hated silk and the silk trade though so it wasn't universal.

Update:

So I added 25 natural history dates, based on these:
I went with the dates used in Wikipedia, though some are a bit uncertain.

Also added the domestication of horses, 1808 for Spain, and the 1763 Treaty of Paris for the colonial changes after the Seven Years War.

Also added Confucius and went with his return to Lu, which seems to be when he started teaching his philosophy to his disciples, who are the ones who spread it by becoming court officials and such all over China. Still have to sift through all the East Asian dates.

27 September 1940: Tripartite Pact

Nah, the pact didn't require Germany or Italy to declare war on the US after Pearl Harbor if that's what you mean.

509 av. J.-C. - Roman independance from the Etruscans.

Obviously a date to consider as it eventually led to the formation of the Roman republic(after gradual administratif changes) and later the Roman empire.

I just realised I wrote the date in french keeks sorry about that (509 BC)

Regardless it is noteworthy that they didn't

Added a foundation of the Roman Republic.

As far as I can tell it already was a republic from the start (two yearly elected consuls with checks and balances).

107 BC Marian Reforms

Reorganized the Roman military to make it more effective (e.g. allowing landless soldiers) but as a byproduct made soldiers loyal to their commanding general rather than to Rome. The fall of the Roman Republic was a direct consequence.

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Marian_reforms

Nice one, added.

Foundation of the state of Israel, May 14, 1948. Resulted in many conflicts and geopolitical crises throughout the 20th century (some bringing the world to the brink of nuclear war e.g. Yom Kippur) which still resonate to this day.

1848, February. Karl Marx and Friedrich Engels publish the Communist Manifesto, founding the ideology of communism which drove revolutions worldwide over the next 140 years or so and provided the ideological basis for the Soviet Union.

Not the Balfour Declaration or something?

That might actually be better if you're looking for one of the two. Also, can't believe I forgot about this, the Sykes-Pecot agreement should be included on a similar basis that it defined middle eastern conflicts and crises up to the present day.

>I don't know, there are nine nuclear powers today,
there is small difference between eight nuclear powers and nine, but very huge between one and two.

44 BC Assassination of Julius Caesar

1534 Act of Supremacy, English reformation, English monarch becomes head of church and breaks with the Papacy

1812 Napoleon's invasion of Russia and subsequent retreat

1865 End of the American Civil War

Agreed on all of these I think.

Yeah I know, someone already convinced me.

August 6, 4004 BC - Creation of the Universe.

(Go ahead and delete everything you foolishly had before this date.)

the copper mining one is incorrect

first evidence of metallurgy with copper was around 7500 BC

>44 BC Assassination of Julius Caesar
What exactly did it change in the long run?

>1534 Act of Supremacy, English reformation, English monarch becomes head of church and breaks with the Papacy
Yeah maybe, although it was repealed again. There was a bit of a back and forth between Catholicism and Protestantism in England throughout the 16th century. Not sure about that.

>1812 Napoleon's invasion of Russia and subsequent retreat
Napoleon wasn't yet defeated though, he just failed to conquer Russia. I think the decisive battle was Leipzig.

>1865 End of the American Civil War
Does it have any relevance beyond the US though? The only effects I can think of is ending slavery in the South (which would have happened anyway) and putting an end to any Southern ideas of independence, but I'm not sure it changed the course of history. I do remember reading something about how it made New York important, but I don't know about that.

Shit my bad, I'll get right on that.

Got a source for that? I was going by Wikipedia on Chalcolithic but it's actually full of contradictions.

>What exactly did it change in the long run?
An important step in Rome's transition from republic to empire. Antony and Octavian capitalized on the murder and Rome experienced a series of civil wars that would not end until Actium.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Julius_Caesar#Aftermath_of_the_assassination

>Yeah maybe, although it was repealed again. There was a bit of a back and forth between Catholicism and Protestantism in England throughout the 16th century. Not sure about that.
I think the English reformation in general is an important event, but it's something that gradually took place over many years so it's hard to pin down to a single year and event. The 1534 Act of Supremacy is the best I can think of.

>Napoleon wasn't yet defeated though, he just failed to conquer Russia. I think the decisive battle was Leipzig.
France was unable to return from the loss of manpower it suffered in this invasion. I view it as Napoleon's Stalingrad -- victory is impossible from here on out although total defeat is not yet inevitable.

>Does it have any relevance beyond the US though? The only effects I can think of is ending slavery in the South (which would have happened anyway) and putting an end to any Southern ideas of independence, but I'm not sure it changed the course of history. I do remember reading something about how it made New York important, but I don't know about that.
De facto federal power over the states in important matters and tighter unification of the nation. People now think of themselves as Americans first and (e.g.) New Yorkers second. It's now "The United States" singlur not "The United States" plural. I think the United States would struggle to enter the world stage as strongly as it did in the early 20th century were it not for unification provided by decisive Union victory in the ACW.

>It's now "The United States" singlur not "The United States" plural
The rest of your points regarding the united states I agree with but this "the united states is/are after the civil war" meme needs to die.

I thought it wasn't just a meme. When did the shift actually take place?

Even after the revolution people said "is" although "are" was far more common. Overtime it was phased out completely but it didn't begin with the civil war.

>An important step in Rome's transition from republic to empire. Antony and Octavian capitalized on the murder and Rome experienced a series of civil wars that would not end until Actium.
Yeah but Rome was already in the middle of that. Caesar had just fought a civil war against Pompey, it all started at his return from Gaul. I just can't see how exactly it changed anything in the path Rome was taking, Octavian really just completed what Caesar had started.

>The 1534 Act of Supremacy is the best I can think of.
Yeah fair enough.

>France was unable to return from the loss of manpower it suffered in this invasion.
Maybe... although Napoleon wasn't defeated in battle until Leipzig. And Leipzig wasn't such a lost cause as far as I know, it's the betrayal of the German troops that tipped the scale. But maybe you're right and it's just my desire for easily pinpointed events that makes me tend towards Leipzig.

>It's now "The United States" singlur not "The United States" plural.
Yeah I know, that's how the story goes, but really didn't Americans already feel as American? With its Founding Fathers, constitution, and war of independence, it already had a very strong national mythology from the start. It seems like kind of a subtle change to me, at most a boost in the building of American national identity, not really a change or a turning point. And there are quite a few more significant civil wars that come to mind.

>the world is millions of years old!

The theory of evolution has been debunked years ago.

newgeology.us/presentation32.html
evidentcreation.com/TRM-Logerr.html
www.trueorigins.org
youtube.com/watch?v=shyI-aQaXD0

OP is an idiot or just baiting.

Hide the thread and move on.

Yeah I didn't look it up now but it always seemed like a meme to me. The kind of thing you learn in elementary school American history class.

Fuck I can't decide for Napoleon. On the one hand the invasion of Russia seems like the turning point, since 1812 was the maximal extension of the French Empire, but on the other Napoleon rebuilt a large army after Russia and still won a major victory at Dresden against the combined forces of Russia, Prussia, and Austria.