Hey Veeky Forums

Hey Veeky Forums
Is there such thing as a moddable, build it yourself ECU?
Most cars today come with ECUs, and they're a crucial part of any car, but they all seem to be these untouchable black boxes that everyone is afraid of and you never mess with. Plus they cost thousands of dollars.
Is there a build it yourself, moddable ECU that you can program however you like on the cheap? Have any of you tried it?
Kind of like a linux-tier ECU?

Other urls found in this thread:

miataturbo.net/ms-labs-miata-accessories-89/obd-ii-data-module-all-ms2-ms3-ecus-79429/
ecuproject.com/index.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

megasquirt

Not that I know. You can tune your own ECU though, just search for Cobb's AccessTuner Race if you want an idea.

Is there anyway to retrofit OBD II to an older car?

As in is it just a connector/jack or a box that all the sensors go through?

this
MS is essentially an open source and open hardware ECU, usually there's specific schematics and code for each make of car you'd stick them into

for instance they're popular with turbo miatas

This

Interesting...thanks user!

>user
>a namefag and a tripfag

note; basically no megasquit designs include OBD2 support so don't plan on using one of these for anything after 1997 unless you plan to re-install it for each yearly inspection

neither the code nor the hardware is opensource.

no, not with out the entire ecm

depends entirely on state.

Yes. It's called buy an FPGA and program it yourself.

>reinventing the wheel

By the amount of time and money you would have into a project like that, you would be better off work a little bit of overtime and just buying a Haltech Elite.

I'm amazed in the modern age of computing standalones are still so large and expensive.
>noticing shit like that
yeah but it's such a massive pita you'd wish you never started

>I'm amazed in the modern age of computing standalones are still so large and expensive.
That's what I'm surprised about. The technology is in no way complex, and it's been around for ages.
I'm just surprised there's not a one size fits all standard as opposed to everything being proprietary.

it's called megasquirt u TWAT

rusEFI is open source. Never tried it but I think it's the only thing out there. Megasquirt is proprietary now.

Why physically mod an ECU? You can adapt standard ones to do just about anything with an engine, and even adapt the features they control. Other peripherals can be controlled through other means, no reason to route them to a main ECU.

Seems like the new megasquirt boxes do it out of the box

miataturbo.net/ms-labs-miata-accessories-89/obd-ii-data-module-all-ms2-ms3-ecus-79429/

Megasquirt is shit

why?

Yeah man, I have a FB RX running off two RPI 2s

care to give some wiring and software tips?

I'm guessing Megasquirt has the most international support.

ecuproject.com/index.html

This basically allows you to tune and tweak your own ecu.
Originally made for saabs but I've seen lots of vw+Audi's in there as well.

Or you could choose to live in a state that doesn't check for it

/thread

>using an FPGA for an ECU
did you just learn what an FPGA is or something?

sssssshh, he doesn't know that regular shitboards like adruino and SJWpi are good enough

only if there was obd2 in the first place