CLASSIC CAR GENERAL

/ccg/
>Post classic cars
>Blogpost about your vehicle
>Post classic feels

25 years and older is a "Classic" but it needs more than age, it needs a certain something to make it a classic. (Older than 1980 is definitely classic?)

Airplane Engines Are Cool Edition

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/getzV6XIu3o
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

70s

Once upon a time, the Grand Prix was actually cool.

Forgot pic ^^

Annd still bone stock running like a charm, on the same farm

more like
>once upon a time, the Grand Prix existed
amirite

my dad had a 73 with a 455 though, sounded neat from how he talked about it.

>>once upon a time, the Grand Prix existed

It was lit. RIP Ponticrap.

this

Saw a Hudson Hornet like this yesterday driving down the highway. It was in beautiful condition.

My family has two different "classics". One is much more classic though.
The first is a '67 GTO 400 2bbl though. Pic related

the other is a 70 charger the previous owner dicked with. It has a 72 440 Magnum in it. IIRC he also swapped out brakes, the radio is from the mid 90s, the suspension is much stiffer than I would expect.

What do you guys think about these reproduction Camaro rallys in 17"? Thinking about these as opposed to the US Mags. Only downside is they're only 9" wide instead of the 10" Mags

Here's the US Mag Ramblers I'm also considering

I want it.

I prefer the Rallys. But I like classic style wheels on classic cars.

I think all Grand Prix generations were cool beside the 6th & 7th

>be me
>start searching for classic threads
>fuck the search tool
>post in old thread instead because fuck it all

You can repost it here if it wasn't really seen

Just picked up a 64 Falcon on saturday for 1600. Going to run a full disc brake kit with booster so i had to order larger rims and tires. Will upgrade the ignition system to get rid of the points and get the tranny checked out because it wont go ibto park. Paint job and done. The interior is good shape right now

I think you may have payed just a tad bit much. In my opinion I think it's worth maybe 1k due to the paint and tranny issue. But hey, if you can do most of the work yourself you got yourself a nice find.

Took the fender off so I can have better reach at that side of the block to remove the intake/exhaust manifolds and adjust the valves.

And another shot. Lapping valves today and adjusting lash and clearances. May crack the pan off I end up getting the valves done today. Kind of a bummer that I'm still taking parts off instead of putting them on.

I will be doing everything but paint and tranny myself. I know a guy who has a spray booth and owes me a favor.

Well shit man, looks like you got yourself a nice cheap Falcon. Congrats

Ca

Yes

Could possibly restore the paint. Hard to tell with only one picture though. Not hard to do though, it just looks heavily oxidized

What brake kit? I just ordered the manual Kelsey Hayes style brakes from Opentracker, I'll post pics of putting them on in the general. You really don't need them if you aren't going to go fast though, the drums work fine, the cars only weigh 2800lbs.

What manual transmission would you guys mate up to a 67 Mustang Fastback with a 289? Dad was thinking a 4 speed but I was reading a lot of people switch to T-5s or TKO 500/600s.

Bay Area? If yes I'll sell you my brake booster, I'm going from power to manual, will save you some money

I went with a full disc set up with brake booster from Superior Automotiven they specialize in fairlane falcon and early mustang.
The paint is a bit far gone, primer showing in a few spots

The kit i ordered has it included because it has to fit under the brace.

It's a PITA to get them in and out, one of the reasons I'm ditching mine, that and I don't feel they are necessary on a lightweight car

I know its going to be trouble, but i'm going to have my girl and her kid riding with me, i want them safe

I may also be setting it up to tow a lightweight trailer i made [700lb] so i want what brakes i can get

My dream car unfortunately I will never be able to afford it

'64 Bel Air, 327 and GM 3-speed. 95% intact and original. Going to build up the engine a bit and swap for a Muncie 4-speed.

got my new stickers

inb4 this posts sideways

and it did. nice.

Street machines are best machines

dont you dare paint that. looks sweet as is.

Nice. I also have a roadkill sticker

i've no plans to. this thing /glows/
i finally snagged a legit one. thank god they put that shop back up

Hornets aren't that expensive.

I got mine on Milwaukee at a meet n greet. We just talked for a.couole minutes about cars while leaning on the draguar

What year mustang? What set up? And do you think it could be a decent DD if it was running properly? (would gas kill?)

Very nice, man

it's a 72 with a 302 and c4 tranny. pretty mild but it's a start.

i've just recently rebuilt the carb and i've yet to get the idle adjustments down. or have the time for it.

im still pretty new to all of this, so im learning as i go. didnt have much of a chance to learn when i was younger, so i bought the cheapest thing on craigslist and when from there.

ive done so much work to it now, i love the damn thing.

as for a DD, that's what im shooting for. its gonna kill me on gas im sure but it looks hella rad so it'll be all good, at least until i replace my reg DD with an XJ or something more stout

Didn't know that thing has Manual steering, I'm surprised it's not power steering

Would you recommend daily driving a car with drums on all four wheels? I may daily drive it during LA rush hour maybe once or twice a month. I figure I could probably get by if I am a super passive driver and let everyone cut me off, leaving at least 3 car lengths space.

Just not sure how dangerous it would be if I got cut off or something.

Most compact/midsizes in that era still had manual steering in their base config

I have for many years in San Francisco and never had a problem. I don't drive passively, just reasonably. Just depends how good the brakes are, you can get a lot of power out of drums, even manual drums, if they are set up properly and taken care of.

that being said, manual brakes is kind of lame. I highly recommend at least power drums and a dual master. it makes life a lot more pleasant.

I will add to this, in high school I DD my '66 Land Rover no problem. And it has manual 4 wheel drum brakes and a single master cylinder. It builds up the strength in your legs.

>legs
no, your right leg. it's completely possible, but power brakes are really nice.

Made zero progress on my stang

What's the cheapest way to find and restore a c3 corvette? Or what's the average price going to be?

Google just kept trying to sell me stuff

Depends on the condition you find one and what the old fart owning it will let it go for. I have worked on several that were junk in my eyes but still had the price tag of 75k or better.
Hell, one 67 I redid half the ass on went through the Barrett Jackson auctions for 80k. It was LS swapped, had 3k dollar rims and a shitty 2 coat paint job with stripes that weren't even lined up properly. The entire underside of the vette was just coated in undercoat or stainless paint over top of rust.
Took us ages to fix everything and the owner paid around 100k before it was even totally done. I didn't get to see the final bill.

A 63 convertible I got to do the majority of the bodywork on was sold to this doctor as "great" condition for around 50k and she was told it was never hit and was recently restored. As soon as the paint came off we found out the front AND the rear were not original and were grafted in. Also the chassis wasn't even matching.
It took months cutting out the horridly done seams and glassing in new ones esp on the rear. I spent a solid 2 weeks inside the wheel wells alone redoing everything and making new inside lips from scratch all the way around because there was none. Also the entire front end had to be redone because the dumbasses who "restored" it put it on crooked. I left the garage the day after I tore down the frame completely due to the shop owner going senile in his old age and unable to maintain a good working environment. But man I will never EVER buy a c2,c3, or a c4.
We also did a 79 from top to bottom owned by one of the major oil company CEOs down in Houston. Turn-key 327, custom suspension, 4 piston willwood brakes all around, custom cut torque-thrust-esque wheels, the works. I didn't see the final bill there either but he would drop by every couple weeks with checks of around 10-11k dropping it off like it was petty change.

not even bmw or Mercedes can pull of this level of smug

the 63 before most of the bodywork, showing off the rear seams

and the only other pic I have before it was off the frame

Also this one had be itching for weeks, something about the 67s, they had the most annoying fiberglass ever that got into everything and fuggin stayed there

>tfw no inter-war Aston Martin

>legs

Truck is a manual with kind of a heavy clutch, both legs got a workout. As did my arms with the manual steering.
I'll admit that power makes it more convenient, but my point is it completely possible to DD something that is not.

>mfw driving a newer car with power brakes and drive by wire

>radio keeps going in and out again after weeks of being perfectly fine
There's a wire loose somewhere, has to be, everytime I fuck with the harness that comes out of the radio it either gets better or it gets worse

>radio

El Nova has factory manual steering and manual brakes

>xxx77444
O shit

M8 I think I'm going to the nhra mile high nationals at bandimere

Nice. I would have killed to go to the 4 Wide Nats.

That would be loud as fuck. I'm excited though, it'll hopefully be my first nhra event

Baptism by nitro. Its a good time. Try to sit close to the track. It more fun that way. I've gone to Route 66 dragway in Joliet IL a few times for qualifying. Me and my dad might go to Indy sometime.

youtu.be/getzV6XIu3o

Here's some 4 Wide action

>tfw you will never be able to go to Indy in the 70s with 1500hp turbocharged offys
Fug ;_;

>live 2 hours away from Nürbürgring in the country with the cheapest gas in all of Europe
>bought an american boat before even thinking about handling

I'm crying

Clearly you have never brought inappropriate vehicles on roads they don't belong. I guarantee you'll have more fun throwing the boat around the ring and sliding around the cabin than the guy in a striped out BMW Cooper s

I'd rather wait for a closed track event at Spa or Le Mans before I run into strangers at the Ring.

The worst thing I ever drove there was an XC60 during a family trip.

literally no.
meme fun is only fun once or twice.

Same engine/tranny/carb. You'll get about 17MPG if you tune everything right and set the timing and advance properly.

so I am getting quotes to get my F250 shipped from california to oregon, how much do you think it should cost in non-running condition?

from area code 94549 to 80014

>california to oregon
fuck meant colorado

They are about 20k but in better shape they can be up to 100k so it is possible just not any time soon

like 1000 probably.

those I6's sound awesome though

that seems like a bit much

dat dere '73 datsun 240Z.
Still has the round top SU carbs.

I'm gelatin, that thing is perfection

The angle is flattering, it has some rust on the rear hatch (I'll adress this issue soon).

Is that yours? Looks nice too. I dig the exhaust.

Thanks mang, yeah its mine

>rust on the rear hatch
That's actually just paint/primer that's under the gray

>I dig the exhaust.
And I actually just put in two bullet mufflers with downturns kek

I was refering to mine lel

oh wew my bad

I'm surprised though, that thing looks like its been worked over so I thought you were talking about my rust pile kek

Geting a new muffler and I picked up 2 new
U-joints today. To top that off I got a new job whooo! Can't wait to leave my current job

>tfw started a new job yesterday
>no longer breaking my back to work
>will soon b be able to afford bringing my truck home
Yasss