youtube.com/watch?v=QdO1vZJgUu0
youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU
agniveer.com
agniveer.com/the-reality-of-caste-system/
agniveer.com/caste-system/
amazon.com/Zen-Brain-Understanding-Meditation-Consciousness/dp/0262511096
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_activity_and_meditation
mindful.org/how-the-brain-changes-when-you-meditate/
psychologytoday.com/blog/use-your-mind-change-your-brain/201305/is-your-brain-meditation
washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2015/05/26/harvard-neuroscientist-meditation-not-only-reduces-stress-it-literally-changes-your-brain/
sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100224103357.htm
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

It certainly hasn't done anything for me.

But I also think it has to do with the introspection that comes with meditating. Using your brain in general to basically think has a number of benefits to it.

(Part One)

In a couple of ways mainly.

1. For whatever reason, as we grow up, we begin to identify strongly with the thoughts that we have. The thoughts about the world, about ourselves. This quickly becomes problematic as nothing in life encourages you away from this sort of thinking/living, nor even generally toward having "good" thoughts. Funnily enough, hold this thought real quick

2. It is generally thought that 4-5 is the highest number of any group of something we can maintain in perception before it becomes one general group thing again. That is, you see Zebra on a field. One Zebra looks like one zebra. Two zebra look like two zebra. Three zebra looks like three zebra. Now, four looks like four zebra, but it may be a bit more difficult to place them. By the time you get to five zebra, you start to stop counting them and it just starts being "a herd of zebra." By six zebra, its almost assuredly "a group." This fault in perception is the same reason that prisoners in cartoon jails write off their days that way. Four little lines, and then crossing off for five. Super easier to count this way.

3. Now back to 1., meditation lets you do the equivalent of crossing off your thoughts with that fifth line, making them easier to count. In most variations of meditation, something to the effect of "the most important thing is the way you sit" or even "the most important thing is to keep this particular thought in mind." That is to say, in doing meditation, you're usually tasked with actually doing about 4-5 (maybe more) things at once.
- Back perfectly straight
- Crown of head reaching toward the universe
- Proper diaphragm breathing
- Hands in a delicate yet firm position, sometimes the cosmic mudra, sometimes what Don in pic related is doing
- Shoulders relaxed
- Eyes neither open and focused, nor closed totally (by the latter I mean just not closing your eyes so hard that thats what you're focusing on)

(Part Two)

This in effect means that if you're maintaining a "true" meditative posture, then you're attempting to mentally balance more things than you can keep in mind. This means you will lead to failure, but it also means that while you're making the attempt, you can't think about anything else.

4. Thoughts being what they are (all thoughts are of the involuntary sort), you will inevitably think of something else. This is where the magic begins. In a lot of traditions that use meditation the metaphor of the clouds and sky comes in. Something about having the thoughts you think to be you just sort of "leak into you" or what you're trying to do really casts a new light for you. According to the metaphor, we're all in life as though we're lying on a grassy field looking at the sky. The thoughts that we think we are, are like clouds rolling by, we think "oh! I'm that cloud" or "oh! I want that cloud" and even as its in front of us its changing and morphing. But soon on enough, that cloud rolls away, and a new one takes its place and you repeat the process. Thats ego. Your 15 and your sure that life is whatever /pol has told you about, or your 25 and your sure that "you want to get married, just because" Meditation, by propping you apart allows you to realize how involuntary ALL thoughts are.

(Part Three)

Doing it long enough has two primary effects
- By observing your thoughts in this manner over and over on a day to day basis, you keep in mind always the larger perspective, so you don't start getting lost in the day to day grind (in a "cosmic" sense, this means never placing all importance in your own life in this grand universe, nor despairing over this smallness. You are where you need to be. In a more "boring" way, this means never getting so lost in your otter-like self-conceit that you miss your kids soccer game cus "damn it, doesn't he realize I'm at the office for his ass?").
- Viewing your thoughts this way allows to view them less as "parts of who you are" / self-definitions, and more as useful tools, and that certain thoughts are more useful, helpful to you than others. It really helped me from "clinching" on to bad thoughts, for example. That streissand effect of not wanting to have a bad thought, so you tell yourself not to which only increases it? Meditation for me feels like being able to step away from the whole process.

It's just mapping your own mind.

And learning to concentrate.

It allows your brain time to consolidate and process experiences and thoughts.

I can't remember where, but I read that it's essentially the same thing that happens when you are lying down at night and your mind races when you can't fall asleep.
Your brain needs a certain amount of that everyday, and if it gets it through meditation, then it wont happen when you are trying to sleep.

>he thinks all meditation is mind mapping and centrate

>he fell for the le atheism meditation

>if it gets it through meditation, then it wont happen when you are trying to sleep.
Is this true? If I try to sleep without listening to music or podcasts, I literally lie awake for hours before I fall asleep. Would be a massive improvement to my life if I could fall asleep easily.

>muh fairytales

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Magical_Number_Seven,_Plus_or_Minus_Two
not interested in memelosophy, plenty of buddhists enjoy murdering people, what actually happens in your brain

That's exactly what I think.

You don't think that's profound?

My interest was actually more biomechanical, which you did touch on with posture and breath control, is it possible that itself is a factor? I observe the differences in rest breath and body language afterward.

>teacher freaks out when I remember 9 digit number without effort
>makes me do it as a trick

>later in life remember him saying Neanderthals probably survived to modern times
>in Palestine

>spooky teacher

>doesn't know you dont have to believe in god to use it in advanced meditation methods

>doesn't realize that mind is the only reality and the god is both real and unreal at the same time

>>doesn't realize that mind is the only reality and the god is both real and unreal at the same time

Like the internet.

Or Batman.

Or 11.

Thanks actually, for the wiki link, I'm always trying to correct the potential gaps in my knowledge. Though till then I also try not to aver toward the uncertain in my speech. This was greatly appreciated.

And I'm not citing the buddhists as end all be alls, or trying to emphasize anything like a mystic approach. Though of course I don't know exactly what's happening in the brain at like a chemical level.

Then you would be more interested in zen as far as approaches go. Not so much suggesting a "lifestyle" to fall into or adhere to, but if you're interested in figuring out meditation or taking from it what you will, zen reading materials will give you the least amount of bs.

Over and over in 'Zen Mind, Beginner Mind,' you'll encounter the phrase "Having the right posture is the whole thing. That's it." For whatever thats worth

I think you're mixing meditation with simply taking a break.

Well, meditation basically does that. It has the same effect as taking a cigarette or playing a video game.

Meditation does that for the first 10 minutes when you're thinking about the stuff you should have thought about before. Then the real meditation beings.

Video games are distractions. Basically the opposite of meditation.

I'm talking about the net benefits. Meditation has only been shown to reduce stress and anxiety though there are plenty other ways. New age faggots only buy that crap because of muh asiun.

P L A C E B O

But don't let that hold you back

Deep contemplation
Removing distractions and just focusing on your own thoughts allows you for a deeper and more full contemplation and self reflection than in other circumstances

If you haven't actually experienced the true benefits of meditation, don't try to mislead people.

Meditation is something that can only be grasped experientially and it takes a long daily practise of years to get to do the high level shit that the Buddha and co. achieved.

We suffer due to 'our' thoughts and feeling s about reality, meditation is about slowly peeling that away and actually experiencing reality for what it is

I strongly recommend the Book 'The Mind Illuminated' if you want to practise it, picking some random ass method off the internet and doing it for 10 minutes isn't going to get you anywhere.

It doesn't work.

literally cucked by their own minds

It's psychology

I don't gotta explain shit

Is it possible to meditate while doing physical activity? My part-time work has a lot of monotonous repetitive parts not really requiring too much mental effort. I was hoping I could as least use the time to focus on my breathe and get some benefit from it.

Bump, this is a good question , i'm interested

yeah, in this case you do vipassana mediation

you label succinctly your movements [you do them slowly] and sooner or later you will reach vipassana samadhi, which means that you will be concentrated.

These instructions are drawn from the vipassana traditions of Mahasi Sayadaw and Chao Khun Bhavanapirama Thera.
vipassanadhura.com/howto.htm

vipassanadhura.com/momenttomoment.htm

the breath is here to get tranquility and, in the dhamma, it is the last step once you combine it with right view, see picture for just the watch of the breath

Thanks! Also, I will try the method in your picture

>/pol/
Dropped, if you can't even expose your idea without name dropping your strawman then fuck off, it's like /pol/acks that can't argue any point without saying "tumblr"

According to the yoga-sutras and ancient vedic texts, Our mind has the power to become our best friend and our worst enemy. The main cause of our suffering and ignorance is our pleasure seeking and ever chattering mind. We need to silence it. We can use our mind to reach our atman (soul). Silence your mind and become one with paramatman. This is the main goal of yoga and meditation.

I seriously hate buddhist bastards they hijack everything. Western Buddhists are mostly tweens going through their anti-west phase.

Ajahn Brahm Retreat , Sri Lanka 2011

AjahnBrahmRetreats
14 videos
Last updated on Sep 1, 2015

youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ_Y6m62B_MVZVGIzfjqrpoUmszVMcxWV

J H A N A
H
A
N
A

>I seriously hate buddhist bastards they hijack everything. Western Buddhists are mostly tweens going through their anti-west phase.
What's actually wrong with Buddhism though? Before you say anything I'm Indian and have been Buddhist from birth, so I'm not just adopting it because it's trendy or hip.

It's the same typical vedic /shramanic philosophy with a little twist and turn (I am talking about original indian Buddhism).

Its a poor man's vedic religion/ jainism. I mostly hate nowadays teenage buddhists who are "atheist buddhists".

The greatest philosophy that ever came from india is definitely Samkhya philosophy. Nowadays Buddhist do their best to connect Buddhism and samkhya of hinduism. There is no difference between radical jihadists and modern buddhists in terms of attitude. They think they are really great heavenly beings/ rational people because they are following a guy that lived thousands of years ago and that every other religion/philosophy is stupid.

Zen meditation has been observed to redirect brain activity from the limbic system to the anterior cingulate cortex, deactivating the amygdala response, the sympathetic nervous system and activating the parasympathetic nervous system. The limbic system is responsible for impulsive behavior and out-of-control emotional responses. The amygdala and sympathetic nervous system are responsible for stress and fight/flight response, as well as associated with clinical depression when over-active for long periods. The anterior cingulate cortex is an (evolutionally speaking) recent brain development associated with compassion, blissful states and tempered behavior. The parasympathetic system is associated with rest and relaxation.

When this type of meditation is cultivated on a regular basis, the change in brain activity becomes permanent, solidified and grey matter increases, as well as cognitive flexibility. Meditation physically restructures the brain.

>>>/tumblr/
You SWJ degenrate cuck

>>
>youtube.com/playlist?list=PLQ_Y6m62B_MVZVGIzfjqrpoUmszVMcxWV
important talks

Western Buddhism is cancerous as fuck, but I can't agree with Hinduism having the better spiritual system.

All the Hindu meditation techniques I've seen seem pretty hard to pull off whereas Buddhist techniques are easy to follow and practise. This is probably just my bias though, seeing as I haven't really inquired into the Hindu spiritual tradition very deeply mostly because I can't stand practising the same things as the people who invented the caste system.

What website did you get that pic from?

Also, why do these highly attained dudes always seem to be able to tap into Jhanas just like that when they just started meditating? It's unfair tbqh.

it's not working because you aren't doing it right. it has nothing to do with thinking. it's about being mindful of your breath/body/thoughts/sensations/etc in the present moment.

being aware of thoughts passing through your mind is different to thinking. in meditation you can just let the thoughts come and go without following them or getting lost in them.

Source plez

yes. i'm about to try this in the park. wish me luck

youtube.com/watch?v=QdO1vZJgUu0

How long have you guys been meditating? It's been 5 months for me and my obsessive-compulsive tendencies have no hold over me anymore, meditation is GOAT.

about 1 year. i have social anxiety disorder and generalised anxiety disorder. the generalised anxiety has largely disappeared, and the social anxiety has decreased a lot (thanks also to cognitive behavioural therapy).

...because you spend all day leaving your body to interact with the world, this takes energy. When you remember to return inwards to yourself you rediscover your reservoir of Chi.

Only when you quiet your mind can you listen to your true self and discover your path in the moment, rather than living in anxiety of the future or depression over the past.

Not sure if anyone has seen this.

Very interesting to watch.

>youtube.com/watch?v=UyyjU8fzEYU

>brain scientist has a stroke
>explains it in detail
>including her own personal experience with her stroke
>ties it into spirituality/left-right brain mentality

Extremely interesting, as she said it herself - how often does a brain scientist get to examine her own brain when she is having a stroke.

I wish more people knew about it, meditation has helped me more than anything else in this world and has gave my life a purpose beyond mindless hedonism.

I doubt anyone on Veeky Forums has achieved stable Jhana 2bh.

trips confirm meditation is based

It's more fun to just let the chaos run rampart and watch the effects, desu.

that's exactly what meditation is though

yeah, i've tried to get my friends onto it but they're too blind to get it yet

>that's exactly what meditation is though
Kek, no.

Trips confirm.

Caste system developed during mughal rule. There was no casteism in ancient aryavarta( india). Vedic scriptures talks about Varna system which is based on aptitude and not birth. In varna system, son of brahmin can become a kshatriya or shudra same way son of shudra can become whatever he wants (Just like our modern world).
In varna system, Brahmin, kshatriya, vaishnav and shudra were status. The status were not fixed.

Read this to understand how this idiotic caste system has nothing to do with Vedic scriptures.

agniveer.com caste-system/

agniveer.com/the-reality-of-caste-system/

These two articles explains perfectly.

Think about it for a second, a philosophy that says everything is is a part of Brhman(god) and he exists in everything then how come the same philosophy advocate caste system?

Caste system was glorified by Britishers and some politicians. Some early indologists even misinterpreted verses like the infamous Brahmin came from head and shudra from feet. You can read that first link to understand the proper meaning of this verse.

There are tons of vedic meditation but I prefer Yoga.

materialism is a cancer

agniveer.com/caste-system/

That link was damaged. Heres another one.

>Source plez

One of the most extensive documentations on the matter is the book Zen Brain: Toward an Understanding of Meditation and Consciousness by James H Austin, a neurologist and Zen practitioner. There are numerous studies scattered here and there, mostly reported by news outlets, that support the general pattern of most types of meditation reallocating brain activity and promoting neuroplasticity. Every medical student knows the significance of the interplay between the sympathetic and parasympathetic nervous system - a quick Wikipedia look should be enough. However, Zen meditation seems to be more intense in activating frontal regions that are believed to be intimately connected to "higher tasks" and our conception of consciousness, which I find fascinating. Some useful links below.

amazon.com/Zen-Brain-Understanding-Meditation-Consciousness/dp/0262511096
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brain_activity_and_meditation
mindful.org/how-the-brain-changes-when-you-meditate/
psychologytoday.com/blog/use-your-mind-change-your-brain/201305/is-your-brain-meditation
washingtonpost.com/news/inspired-life/wp/2015/05/26/harvard-neuroscientist-meditation-not-only-reduces-stress-it-literally-changes-your-brain/
sciencedaily.com/releases/2010/02/100224103357.htm

>How long have you guys been meditating?

I started practicing meditation on and off about 13 years ago, I've practiced Zazen on a daily basis for about 6.