Sup Veeky Forums

Sup Veeky Forums

So after doing a bunch of hunting, I found an s2k in my area. It's clean, been babied, and has been very well maintained. It's had a little work done to it, but not enough to call it a tuner IMO.

However, it's a 2000 model. It's bluebooking at $8000, and it has 135k miles on it, but the guy is asking $12,000 for it.

>Is this a ripoff?
>Could I find better elsewhere?
>Is this about what I should expect to pay for an S2000 with the way the market is about now?

Other urls found in this thread:

orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5567477119.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

In my area any s2k below $15k is worth looking desu, so it really depends on how low you can lowball him

If it is legit clean, good paint, not many dings or scratched, decent top, and in working order that is fair.

Bluebook and s2000 don't mix senpai.
Actually blue book is retarded tier most of the time...

Hm. Some quick research told me an S2000 should be my next car to flip thanks op

>S2000 and Blue Book don't mix.

This senpai. The S2000 is a car that a lot of enthusiast want. The price difference between area/upkeep, even at small degrees, can be fairly substantial.

I think the Blue Book also accounts for the stanced, tuned out S2000s (i.e. the ruined ones) as well.

What's the point of bluebooking then? Yeah, it's pretty put together. Also, why does blue book quote more on private sellers than dealerships?

Because KBB and most of the book value websites are stupid and rigged.

In my area too. Unfortunately, every s2k 15k here will more than likely have a rebuilt title. And that's a deal breaker for me. Well, if $12k is fair, then I guess I'll shoot for it. Especially if I can resell it for like 15 (not going to, but it's an option).

>enabling rice tax

that fucking lawnmower powered shitbox is 16 years old lmao

you are the reason rice tax exists

Tbat is a massive ripoff

I figured the cars most enthusiasts want are scaled all fucked up on KBB.

>hurr enabling rice tax
>muh jdm pricing conspiracy

Supply and demand ya mong.
If they were "overpriced" nobody would buy them. It's a very desirable car, low production compared to more mainstream commuters, and every other example is trashed.

Also
>lawnmower powered shit box
Oh please.

>what's the point of KBB

Not much m8. KBB is the worst "what's my car worth" site.

It rairly properly accounts for local market and it's not particularly representative of reality in most cases.

I see. So $12k for an unmolested s2k is pretty fair. I've had the habit of blue booking most vehicles I buy before making an offer, but I haven't had a sport car yet. Unfortunately, most good prices stuff is rebuilt or molested to hell.

It's fair if it's in good condition.

Flaws I see on s2000 include, body, top (especially plastic window tops), horrid valve adjustment, general poor maintainer, heavy interior wear.

There's not xyz type of fault that is common as far as I know or in my experience, but those plastic window tops aren't the best...

Post the ad so I can see what level of sik mawds we're dealing with here

I don't know your market, but that is a little high for where I live in the Southeast. I would be paying around 10k but like others have said, s2k prices are difficult for many reasons

>complaining about Rice tax
>On the fucking used market.

This is literally the most pure incarnation of Supply and Demand you stupid faggot.

oh shit, another texas s2k?

It's worth 10k TOPS.

here in ontario every s2000 is like 18k up. what should i do?

be happy that youre not in socal
orangecounty.craigslist.org/cto/5567477119.html

I just got a stock 2003 with 85K on it for $12K. There was also one 80 miles away selling about 5 months ago, it was a stock 2002 with 145K on it for $8K. I'm in the midwest and where it also doesn't snow except for less than 8-10 days a year bringing the value of this one up as well.

I would obviously try to go lower. Problem is with this one you're going to be immediately in I KNOW WHAT I HAVE territory. Say the classic line of the first offer's always the best and leave it open and basically say call me when nobody else offers you more. Hope he isn't the typical faggot who won't let something go less than his arbitrary made up goal, most of the people who do this shit are waiting for someone rich with no time just wanting to pick it up in the next 10 minutes and then this doesn't happen and it goes unsold.

Obviously look them up online and if it's even a little bit of a drive consider that versus the price you may save.

A family friend is offering me his 2001 AP1 for $9000

It has 140k on the odo, completely stock, well maintained and decent shape, the only problem is that it desperately needs a new top. It rains pretty often where I live (wet coast).

Should I pull the trigger?

No since then there'd be a hole in the top and then more rain would get in.

Well that's why I'd have to get a new top. No rain gets in now, it's garage kept

STAY AWAY

Any S2000 under 12k is royally fucked. Veeky Forums will tell you otherwise because hondacucks but hey, it's your 8 thousand dollars.

Save up some more, you're almost there. Get an uncucked version. These aren't civics that can be fixed with a trip to the salvage yard. They're light, delicate, sporting vehicles.

Though not everyone knows that. Stancers, ricers, who knows what parts they used?

These are HUGE for car flippers who buy up tired cars and sell them you YOU because they know you buy into the MEME. Same with AE-86, 180sx, 240sx, etc.

Don't get ripped off. I know 2 buddies who when budget (spent less then 10k) ignored advice, ignored carfax report. Both sold them after shoddy tunes, hidden frame dmg, etc created problems within the year. IT COULD HAPPEN TO YOU

You'll never forgive yourself if you don't make an offer on this deal OP

Your wallet will. 8k is just the start. You'll spend at least that much, another 8k, just to get it sorted out. You won't be able to drive it for months and months.

Do you want to spend 16k and have it in the garage for 8 months or spend 12k for a well sorted out, well maintained car that can be enjoyed, SAFELY, the day you buy it?

I just bought an S2000. Same year but I bought it at 116K miles for $7500. The dude was asking $8500 but because the bumper is all fucked up and the front right hub is fucked.

$400 later I bought an OEM wheel hub and bearing and its all fixed.

>s2k, vintage z, not bad.

What else ya got?

Z is a 1977 280Z that I'm putting an RB20 into.

Ayyy you're winnin brah

Thanks man.

I got no plans on the S2000 yet, maybe pro charging it because I got a friend who has a paxton kit for the AP1. But I don't have a goal for the S2k besides getting BC coilovers and Desmond RegaMaster/Volk TE37/ RPF1 (one of those wheel options)

>settling for a soft top

Oh boy

S2000 prices have gotten a little insane. I'd like to get another one, but I can't really justify it in my mind when I can get a C5 Z06 with less miles for the same price around here.

I told him I'm interested. I'm going to offer him $10k and work from there. Hopefully he'll settle for a good deal less with that many miles on it. He's kept a log book of all his receipts and everything he's done to the car and all of the maintenance. The car is about 2 and a half hours away so hopefully it's worth the drive I'll be making soon.