Volv/o/ and SAAB thread: based R/o/bert DIY edition

we have found a new king, Volvo 850 lads. post R/o/bertisms, R/o/bert vids, plus your sweet Scandinavian chariots and content here.
youtube.com/watch?v=263lSZh8oT4

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=MXTP_ePB7iU
youtube.com/watch?v=PSafx6puOHg
youtube.com/watch?v=QIbTr_s8fHo
youtube.com/watch?v=rKJk1Yn6sgE
youtube.com/watch?v=MTT96XRytoA
youtu.be/5LSnzrFvX7o?list=UUzrb_xmAq6Mmrt_awCUegPA
ipdusa.com/products/11804/124917-heavy-duty-compressor-bypass-valve
humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/5514719970.html
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

I like this guy, but I wish he would buy a fucking tripod. He says the step he's going to do, but he NEVER shows himself actually doing it.

youtube.com/watch?v=MXTP_ePB7iU

yeah, i know. I find he makes more in-depth videos than fcp groton, but they actually show the work (mostly)

Shieeeet, I remember he was coming through my area and I was too busy to set something up. Wonder if I'll have another shot at it.

youtube.com/watch?v=QIbTr_s8fHo
>preparing for takeoff

youtube.com/watch?v=rKJk1Yn6sgE
>takeoff speed reached

Robert is love
Robert is life

youtube.com/watch?v=MTT96XRytoA

bump

youtu.be/5LSnzrFvX7o?list=UUzrb_xmAq6Mmrt_awCUegPA

where's my scandia br/o/s at?

I prefer Trionic 7, his voice is nice and creamy.

Barry White bass B/o/sch M/o/tronic 4.3 or go home

Note the difference in angle.

>note angle difference
wat

Paid $650 for this bad boy this past weekend. Not the turbo model and the interior could use some work but it runs like a top. How did I do Veeky Forums?

>blacktop
absolutely disgusting dot jaypeg

Not bad at all that Volvo is clean and they still make decent HP and torque without tarbo.
>more horsepower than most I4 light trucks

I actually like the I6 more than the T5

Engine bros.

Rust bros

>mfw even when twin turbocharged VME I6s make only 22 hp more than a B5234T5

gross, but i like that ~200hp n/a action, user.

Bought an 850 for $400 recently, picking her up on Thursday. Bittersweet though because I have to scrap my 240

That's a 1996 S90 if i guessed correctly.

why u have to scrap ur 240? no room?
>put it on CL for $200, pay it forward
>someone will want it

>be me, looking for a car
>find some geologists about to scrap their 850
>they hit a deer going 60mph
>got quoted $3000 in repairs
>wanted $200 b/c that was scrap value
>I fix, I fix.... with my pliers
>we hoon now

Super rusty (floors/windshield are heavily corroded, Rocker panels 50% gone) and the last three owners were first time drivers so it's been neglected. I wanted to save it but I don't have the resources to do so. It runs and refuses to give up though

>windshield corroded
wut.

>neglected redblock
it runs user it's fine

srs, put it on CL as a $200 OBO parts car. it's a champ and they get rarer every day.
>any cheaper and it will become a tweaker mobile

The cowl and surrounding areas have been penetrated by rust in several areas and it won't pass inspection again. I don't have the time or the space to deal with craigslist bums so it's off to the scrapyard I'm afraid. If I had any other option I'd pursue it but unfortunately that's not the case. It's a shame too, I got it road worthy again after a couple of years of sitting with seized brakes but the cancer is too advanced

>inspection states
>mfw this thing would probably pass smog in CA
I remember you user, too bad it didn't work out. I recommend demolition derby, you know it will win.
>let it die a true nords death

Anyone know of any mods I can do to my 2007 XC90? It's the V8 model but it looks kinda like a momcar. I was thinking of tinting my brakelights but that might be a bit trashy.

>not keeping it stock outside and redoing the interior
it's like you want people to notice your Yamaha engined momcar
>I suggest you start with the headliner

why would i want to do anything to my headliner

>not keeping the exterior compeltely stock for that insane sleeper status
Nobody expects a big but inoffensive momcar to blow them away on the straights.

why indeed.

A melancholy feel but it was well worth the memories and experience. I think I'm going to take her for a final rip around some twisties before popping the little Quartz clock out for my future 240/740 and sending it to oblivion. Perhaps one day I'll even buy it back and patch it up, who knows

I believe they made an R design XC90 of that generation so look down that route

'96 960. Before they named it.

renamed it*

po-po bump

>drank oil
>turbo failed
>smokier and sootier than a tank engine

I still miss her Veeky Forums

VOLVO 360 OR BUST
TRANSAXLE IN MY COMPACT CAR?
WHY THE HELL NOT

>want older boxy style Volvo in manual any style
>only few manuals I found are either too expensive
>or this one with cyl 1 and 5 dead

Hold me

Just have an euro user mail you a Volvo block or a gearbox
not like they're uncommon around here
then megasquirt it and tarbo it like a mofo

I'll just leave this here

Someone on my local Craigslist has been trying to sell a 245 painted that same atrocious green for two months now. He even painted the engine bay.

Why would they do that.

I dunno it also has a cowl induction style hood scoop that might be solid bondo.

It was $250 and I needed the headlights and a few other trim pieces for my 855 tarbo. it was also hooned to shit and has a popped head gasket, I would've fixed it if it was the nice dark blue metallic that is under all that booger the interior was nice until I started throwing parts in it. Also scored and it had the rear jump seat.

dude who cares that's a $400 M56 manual tranny and proper ECM buy it NOW
>why does it have to be so far away from me

Got my trusty Wagon here. I love it and this summer I have to replace the pcv system and figure out my boosting issue. 1995 Volvo 850 turbo with 187,000 miles.

>ruined a nice interior
fuck you

what's your boost issue?
>the stock boost gauge will always leak and be shit
>the vacuum hoses are very brittle and tend to pop off
>the stock TCV is crap, it only boosts to about 9 psi and will commonly fail, get a junkyard pierburg from a v70 for maaad 11 psi of boost
>check that the wastegate is properly adjusted
>you hoon now

in a shit car that I am sending to the crusher when I'm done scavenging parts. no fucks given.

mine had a failed tcv and a ripped cbv, the boost gauge spierburg seemed to hold with a vacuum pump. I ordered the porsche pierburg for $45? I forget but holds 14 with the ard tune now.

protip na 850's are dogs and they never offered a 850 turbo, T5, T5-R or R in the us unless you plan on swapping the trans into a turbo car forget it
almost all fwd cars use a transaxle

A house down the street has a beautiful yellow Volvo. It looks vintage, possibly 70s - early 80s
i have no idea what model it is though

Not enough classic Saabs. Now that the sun is finally coming out, I need to get somewhere scenic and take some better pictures.

360 is RWD with front engine and transaxle

You fucking casuel

nigga looks like a klingon

you look like klingon

Based robert of Volvo knowledge has been pretty active on the ipd kikebook page as of late

my nigga Robert is a dahar master so u best stfu before volvo rozzers come and bust you

Sorry for the late reply, I actually forgot that I even posted in this thread. Anyway it does boost. But it doesn't go as far into the white side of the guage as it should. I know that I need to replace that pcv system, but would that fix it? Most of the lines are pretty brittle, so I feel like it should help it in some way. I know that the tcv line isn't in good condition at all, for now would me just replacing that help it? Luckily I'm getting a decent paying job soon, so I can toss money towards the needed maintenance. Timing belt and water pump are still good for a while.

Just read up on what a tcv is and I'm definitely just going to grab one out of the next v70 that comes through my local scrap yard. Sounds like it could definitely be my issue.

>doesn't go very far into white part of gauge
because it sucks, and it probably never will
hence
>the stock boost gauge will always leak and be shit
if you want an accurate boost gauge you should go aftermarket

>will replacing/cleaning pcv system help?
if it does it will be very marginal. what it will do is help take excess crankcase pressure off the top end of the engine while boosting
>tcv line is in bad shape
replace it, get some hose clamps (or zip ties) and some vacuum lines from the irish or vatozone, it will be less than $5

>srs, get a pierburg TCV out of a junked v70

How can I find an Aero in AZ? Anybody?

Can I make it into a 400 lb ft torque steering beast?

also what
said about CBVs getting ripped is very common, IPD sells good replacement ones

Sorry, closest plant is in Connecticut
>is torque also thrust?

god-tier junkyard finds
>i've never even seen a c70

Of the engine itself. Motor mounts were redone in the first photo, so it sits a bit higher.
The black there is the DIC.

>want

>sits higher
from left to right? i don't really see it.
>different lighting
>different cameras

>How can I find an Aero in AZ? Anybody?
saabnet and craigslist
>Can I make it into a 400 lb ft torque steering beast?
Not sure if you can hit 400lb ft with the td04 turbo, but I think you can get pretty close.

they're way overpriced, you can find nos or aftermarket on fleabay. just search td04 bypass rebuild instead of volvo specific search words. for the ipd money i would just spend more and convert to a piston type.

the only aero you want is a 9000, shop for a viggen if you want a decent lame ass gm era saab

driving a naturally aspirated BMW at the minute
it's ok but at the same time it's a living death with the absence of pic related

Guys old, not as smart as he thinks, too amateurish. Couldn't stand more than 2 of his long ass videos.

>google your phrase
>none of the ebay kits has a pictured diaphragm
>half the kit pictures don't even show a turbo oil line gasket to repair this common leak
neat.

ipdusa.com/products/11804/124917-heavy-duty-compressor-bypass-valve
>$25 for stock (see comparable products)
>$40 for heavy duty (up to 25psi)
>overpriced

you sir, didn't watch
>I told Buster Brown I need this door, I needed this fender.
>and he done stole the moulding off the door
>[heavy panting]
>thanks Buster Brown!

>not as smart as he thinks, too amateurish
which makes him the king of Volv/o/, and possibly Veeky Forums

Also:
>makes hilarious and sometimes informative akward videos
>gives back to volvo community with free wrenching and vehicles
>doesn't shill, doesn't do it for views
>extremely black
you can't beat this user

>pic related

p80 v70 would actually be the perfect car if it was rear wheel drive

it's tempting to convert it since there isn't a single v90 for sale here and I haven't seen one ever

>not getting a 900 series or turbocharging a 245
it's like you want to be this guy:
>humboldt.craigslist.org/cto/5514719970.html
>don't be this guy

I want a post-95 960 wagon and there are none in aus currently.
And I meant turning the engine 90 degrees, changing rear suspension for s90 stuff and fabbing driveshaft and etc

>i don't want to put a T5 engine in a 960 or 245
I don't get you

200 and 700 is too old
940 is too primitive
therefore late 960 wagon or v90 is the answer
however, these are not available
furthermore, I prefer the v70 front end and interior. these can be swapped but it's a trek
good reasoning?

>too old

dude your a fag lmao

>good reasoning?
no.

Here's where you fucked up:
>1) nowhere to put driveline for p80 except on haldex models
>2) it's a lot less work to T5 swap a 960 than custom build a RWD drivetrain and fabricate engine mounts for a p80 chassis
>3) referring to 700 series as too old, and 940 as too primitive; but 940 is a cosmetic redesign of the 740
>4) 900 series got better interiors than v70s

also:
>referring to any volvo as too old

don't know anything about volvos and saabs. What are the models I should be looking for if I want a sporty ride and fun to drive.
budget is of around 5k-
also how expensive are these cars in terms of maintenance?

I don't want something with 5 owners and a million kms.
940 had improved chassis design, incl. side impact stuff and airbag for safety
even the v90 interior looks like the 740s (i.e.vgear selector)

v70 p80 has space for driveline as it had awd.
just gotta fuck around with rad/intercooler placement, maybe hammer the firewall and tunnel a bit
also diff and fuel tank but eh

>putting a custom drivetrain on it
>not rebuilding the engine
wew lad

>940 had improved chassis design, incl. side impact stuff and airbag for safety

that's the 960 m8

>Introduced in September 1990, the 940 was essentially a cosmetic reskin of the 740. All drivetrains, and most options available in the 940 had been available in the 740, with the exception of the 780 Coupé. The 940 was more closely related to the 740 than the 760, sharing the same dashboard, drivetrain choices, and sheet metal from the A-pillar forward. In contrast, the 960 was an evolution of the 760.

>hammer in the firewall
>where the heater core is
wow

rule of thumb is numbers are good (240,760,850,940), letters are bad, with the exception of the v70s and a few others
>really anything before '99/'00 and Forditis set in
you're going to want to find a turbo for maximum fun, and if you're in the U.S. manuals are very rare and for the 240 somewhat undeseriable
>budget:$5k
buy a $2-3k 700, 850, or 900 series and spend the rest on upkeep because
>expensive to maintain?
>first and second owners were probably a normie couple and their kid
>paid a mechanic to maintain
>did bare minimum to keep vehicle running
so all that differed maintenance of a 20+ y/o vehicle is now yours. they run well when neglected however.

>in the U.S. manuals are very rare and for the 240 somewhat undeseriable
well fuck me,

yeah. They're really good autotragics but still
>bumper mounted a/t cooler when?

there are 240 and 740s with manuals, and Canada got manuals;they don't require much more attention than the auto aside from clutch replacements, but finding stock turbo redblocks is uncommon.

Just got this one for $600. It's a shame how much gas this thing goes through, Imma end up needing to do weekly trips to the US to fuel up if I don't wanna be bankrupt.

(1994 Volvo 850 NA, 200,000km)

too much?

>buy 940 turbo for $800
>stage 0
>replace turbo
>supporting mods
>proper tune
>transmission swap

For $5,000 you can do a whole lot with a 940.

real volvo hours

they're notorious for leaky fuel hoses, especially near the engine
>under body fuel hoses are so under-protected
>the thing keeping my body hoses on are zipties and wishes
>kept the zipties long so i could see them if I crouch
>they're my fuel line hose safety check
>if they're gone so is my fuel line

I'll check that out, thanks!

took my car to Zen Motorsports to get some brackets made and i don't think they have ever worked on a saab before.
Feels good to have that special snowflake status.

Also anyone have any ideas for a vanity front plate

I had the idea of "wasaabi" a while back but now that MCM is using it i don't really want to make it seem like i copied them.

Another idea i had was Saabotage

"Saabro" would fit really nice, actually.

Just bought an '08 S40 with 99K on the odometer. First swede car. I paid $5500, $6500 out the door with taxes, fees and Florida tags are like $450 for new ones.

Clean Carfax, one owner, carfax showed it was dealer maintained on a lease up to 80,000 miles then it was purchased by the guy leasing it.

Anything I should know about these cars? Fucking love it so far, sexy styling, I just wish I could swap out the head unit but the climate control and all that shit is hooked into it so I know it's not happening.

posting sexy swede speed

i've been looking at getting a 9-5 next
need me a big comfy cruiser
if only i could find an aero wagon with manual