Busrider general

I heard you guys are experts at this topic.

What's your favorite bus?

Mercedes O 405 masterrace reporting in.

- reliable as fuck
- decades of proven machinery
- still widespread all over the world

It's pretty much the W123 of the bus world.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/hyOOElz4-Jg
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

oh shit nigga its the bendy bus.

classic bus general anyone?

I love busses, but I don't love Mercedes.

Can anyone tell why city busses always feel like they're going to shake themselves apart and deafen me while they're at it, while coaches are like limousines in comparison. I know that most fleet busses are old POSs but I'm still wondering why passenger comfort hasn't been higher on the list.

Out of citybuses, the 320LE fo sho. Used to build these beauties, actually I think the one in this photo is of the series where I was quite heavily involved in. Got a skelly-pic somewhere of an unfinished unit, ruggedly beautiful. Not sure if I'm allowed to post it though, NDA is pretty strict if there's any visible goodies in the picture.

Weight for one. Most newer have a lot quieter engines and more advanced chassis, but there's a shitton more of sound deadening going into the 360 than the 320 for example. The ride-hight in coaches is also higher and the air-suspension is one-upped. Our factory did test-drives on each unit to ensure no additional rattling or excessive noise in the interior, which we would fix before shipping.

noise insulation is expensive and normal city buses are fuck cheap compared to coaches.

also, city buses are not meant for longer trips while those coaches are meant to be pleasant for 30min or longer trips.

LION
I
O
N

Joker buses are ok since they're quite new. I use bus in winter and bike in summer. It's quite interesting how i've learned to recognize different individual busses by their sound. One has leaky door pneumatics and one has an ear splitting turbo whine for example. I just wish HSL would replace older busses on more routes but hey, everyone's broke so they need to keep the old horses running.
[spoiler]captcha is select busses how appropriate[/spoiler]

I see they come factory stanced

Whole bus, unlike a car or truck is made of stainless steel profiles.

I like setra intercity buses, dunno why. My fav city bus is long articulated Solaris. But the short version has cool chromed exhaust pipe on the roof.
Air suspension is in standard.

to put it simply, you have to compromise between passenger comfort, number of passengers (a standard 12m bus holding 100 pax will see important load variations), space available (gotta have that low floor for dem strollers and wheelchairs) and, of course, cost.

Since the average bus travel time is so short, comfort basically ends at the bottom of the list.

Highway coaches are designed to be somewhat comfortable for 10 hours long journeys, have much more room available for bigger suspension setups, and are subject to much less load variation as they don't carry nearly as much passengers and their empty weight is higher to begin with.

Why not

[bendiness intensifies]

that's a smug bus

>honk honk

I drove Gillig Low Floors and Phantoms for four years, now I drive paratransit Econoline/Express buses. AMA, I guess.

aww yeah thats way to bendy.

How does it FEEl to be in front of the WEELS.

>take bus to uni
>plenty of seats
>fat chick sits next to you

Some days I just bite the bullet and pay for parking. People are gross.

Really weird at first, and then, when you get used to it, it's really hard to go back. You have to practice taking corners a lot during training, especially right hand turns.

Autosan master race reporting in faggots

Same here. Sometimes the gas and parking are just worth not sitting in a cramped bus with dirty, smelly indians

I learned to drive heavy vehicles in busses, so driving a bonneted truck feels so fuckin weird to me

My new job is driving paratransit buses (built off a commercial van chassis), and that's been weird to adjust to. In a lot of ways, the purpose built buses are way more operator friendly and ergonomic.

When you accelerate do you just jam the pedal all the way down? I can't imagine there being much pedal modulation in those things.

Alexander-dennis e200 4cyl I did an in frame rebuild on last week. 4.5 litre isbe4 cummins. I painted the alternator fan and pulley after this pic to get it looking a bit tidier

beast of a machine

>Gillig

my disgust can't be this absolute

Virtually no pedal manipulation at all. Pedal to the metal pretty much all of the time. The older ones were better, and had more play to them. The newest ones are the worst, in fact some of them have a built in delay between the pedal and your acceleration. Something about safety, if I recall correctly.

Anything but New Flyer. Those are pieces of shit.

I don't know, the Gilligs weren't bad. Occasionally they threw some MIL lights here or there, but the Cummins engines in ours were fantastic. If and when we had problems with the Gilligs, it was almost always some sensor or electrical issue. They were certainly better than some of the other buses in the fleet. We had a few ancient Orion IIs which were used for paratransit. Those were ridiculously fun to drive, but always had at least one feature broken on them. The most hated bus, though, was a 30' Optima Bus Opus that was used on shorter routes. It was possibly the worst bus I have ever driven.

>ctrl-f RTS

>0 Results

Faggots, the lot of you.

europoors ride the bus

>literally "gib monies" ad on the bus

Well, it IS boston

they still run some of these in detroit.

I'll just leave this here.

>It's OC I made like two years ago and never see get posted.

>tfw riding in the bendy part
>tfw swaying with the bus like wheat in the wind
>tfw sitting in the back up by an open window on a rainy night
>mastered the Deustcherbiegebus
>fucking lost my Monatskarte
Walking sure was fun

There are about 2 dozen of these buses driving around in my city, mainly to transport students from the train station to the university.

Why are bendy buses more popular in Europe?

I don't know
The double decker bus is better in every way

>O405
quite close to the top on my want list
but the Cobus 3000 is higher
one day i shall own one.

Drive a doubledicker 100m down an older city street and you will knock out dozens of balconies, street signs and powelines.

Literally called CapaCity
The revenge of the Bendy Bus: Stretched Double Dually Rear Axle edition
>I AM BUS

>thumbnail made me think that was a fish tank extending out the side

>THIS IS MY INTERSECTION NOW

How hektik would the skidz be...

>multi-bus drifting

Bus driver user here again. I've drifted the 40' Gilligs a number of times in the winter. It's pretty hektik, especially when you have a few passengers freaking out in the back.

Would love to witness such shit, m80.
>initial bendix

There's also the even longer version with a fourth set of doors all the way in the back
>HEY FRENCH SHITBOX
>YEAH, YOU'RE NEXT

It was pretty awesome. One of the big hills in town was sort of famous for being dangerous during the winter. A few years back, one of the female drivers panicked going down the hill when she lost traction, and threw the parking brake. She proceeded to spin out a full 180 degrees by the time she got to the intersection at the bottom of the hill. Good times.

I'm not a yuropoor so I don't ride buses.

>amazingly maneuverable

someone caption this

Fellow builder reporting in. Worked for year with these things.

I really like these things, sadly they're currently being phased out completely.

>that rusty piece of shit

Fuck you senpai, I hope you won't share the fate of Jelcz tho

>FRENCH SHITBOX
>FRENCH

That's a Toyota

>better in every way
It's only good for sightseeing. DD buses are shit when it comes to passenger flows which means more time spent at the stops and an overall longer travel time.

Also, bridges and tunnels.

>Also, bridges and tunnels.
folding roof in seconds m80

>new DD bus weightloss plan, only costs an arm or a head depending on whether you're standing or sitting

Ayyy! Electronics, interior, exterior, paint, which one were you mostly involved with? I used to be in the front-end team, mostly did installs on the nose of these machines, but was involved in electrics at the chassis, as well as some random tasks for interior and exterior.

Here's a pic from the underside of one (one) [1] bus.

neoplan apron bus

haha that thing looks fucking sweet
>where's the stancenation watermark

That reminds me however since our town still has some of these older Neoplan busses in service and they have probably the worst seat layout I've ever seen. I haven't ridden on another citybus where literally every seat had absolutely no leg room. I don't even know how that's possible

Still, I will always be nostalgic for the sound the engine makes.
youtu.be/hyOOElz4-Jg
>V8s BTFO

>your employers will somehow know that you posted a picture to a Taiwanese finger painting image board

not that guy but I'm with ADL. Worked in most areas due to my apprenticeship but now I'm a sparky working on some hybrid E400s for stagecoach and london. Hybrid batteries are scary af

Do americans ever use buses? Do you even have buses? I don't think I've ever seen a bus in american movie, other than school buses of course.

>movies
>representative of reality
Yea every city generally has a bus system

why the bus suck so much even coach is garbage. Most of the time it would be literally faster to just take a bike.
Once while waiting the bus I saw somebody in sunfire and you could see on his face how much happy he is to not take the bus.

lol'd

thank you

>spends millions on these newfangled routemasters
>can't even use the rear door half the time
fucking why boris

noice
that actually looks better than the cobus

don't talk
to me
or my son
ever
again