BMW Overview

Hello Veeky Forums,
I'd like to get an overview over BMW, which of them are good, which are bad, which are fun, which are difficult to maintain, how old an used BMW should be at max, stuff like this.

People recommended me the e30, e26 and e34, but I don't really see through all this stuff

They're all bad after the e46, e39, e38, m coupe

/thread

just get an e36
cheapest bmw to own and maintain
thank me later

what about the coupe/cabrio class?
Why is Veeky Forums never talking about them?

also, what is "too old" here?

thanks user but I want to come to that result by my own evaluation, is there a reason it's exactly these and not the ones before, after or another class?

We like coupes.

We don't talk about convertibles because they're pigfat and don't handle as well. Even though none of us are good enough drivers to feel this on a track.

All good apart from the ones made by septics.

Is E12 and E21 still buyable or are they too old?

I've limited the field now, can you tell me a bit about those that are not greyed out, Veeky Forums?

?

(fuck, forgot pic)

Veeky Forums is only talking about station wagons, but not about the coupe series (3,6,8)
I just don't get why

>bmw convertible
Y/n? How do convertibles drive compared to regular coupes?

first post best post

this

t. e46+e30 owner

convertibles have extra added weight built into the chassis to support the car if it was to roll over, both the front and the rear.

they're cumbersome compared to normal non converts.

not all of the 3,6,8 series are convertibles, lots of them are regular coupes. What about those?

all convertibles are shit
they are heavy, loud, lack rigidity, and are pointless.

Just get whichever one you like. A stock 2002 can be fun. fun isn't an absolute metric.

why are you choosing bmw but dont know which models you like? that's the wrong way to do this.

buy a car you like.. the manufacturer doesnt make a difference and neither does the model.

I am not yet buying a car.
I want to learn about BMW and what models are good by general opinion and which are not.

I lack any experience with BMW therefore I asked here.

Please help me out here and tell me what advantages and disagvantages the highlighted car series have, that's all I ask for

You literally highlighted all the good ones

Thanks, that's what I wanted to do.
But there's still differences.
What's the differences between 3,6,8 series and the others?
What's the advantages to the newer ones, what's the advantages to the older ones?
Which ones have the least need for maintenance?
Which ones are the easiest to fix?

Going from those highlighted

Want a old or modern one?

Want more or less then 2.5litres?

Want comfort over fun?

P.S you are browsing wiki in German, sop you're telling me you're a German that doesn't know anything about BMW? is this an elaborate troll post?

none of them are good or bad. it's a stupid question that doesn't have an answer. there's nothing inherently wrong with any bmw.

im guessing you have no tools and no experience working on cars. so your first choice shouldn't be an old bmw.

>What's the differences between 3,6,8 series and the others?
size of car and engine sizes. i don't thing you realise how big the old E39 7 series barges are.

>What's the advantages to the newer ones, what's the advantages to the older ones?
newer are less reliable, but cheap and parts ready available. old tend to be more reliable.

>Which ones have the least need for maintenance?
a small engine e36 or e30

>Which ones are the easiest to fix?
a small engine e36 or e30

This is like comparing over 100 different car/engine options.

You may aswell highlighted all the cars from the 80/90's made by Toyota and asked us to compare them all and pick one for you.

Just pick the one you like the look of, they're all good choices and have their ups and downs.

(forgot those:)
Advantages/Disadvantages between the middle class, high middle class and high class?

I don't really know what neat features came when.
Older is cheaper and more chill, but also more inefficient and lacking some features I guess.
I'm asking for a sweet spot.

I don't know jack shit about engine displacement, which pretty much shows how few I know about cars (Since this is going to be my first one and I'm just now getting into cars)

Which ones are comfortable?
Which ones are fun?
I'm not asking for you to name me one that I then like, I am asking for people to give me the knowledge to decide myself

(As I said, I'm just now getting into cars. And germans don't learn about BMW in school, even if you may imagine that.)

>im guessing you have no tools and no experience working on cars. so your first choice shouldn't be an old bmw.
I'd want to get into it, but I am asking for how maintenance-heavy they are for a reason.

>no 1602, 2002
>no gt
>no z3/z4
>no 1 series
>no 8 series
>no e90

no

>I'm asking for a sweet spot
e36 or e38

fuck off goy lol

the e90 is a troublesome lump of shit as with the z3, you really think OP is going to pick a 2002 as a first car?...

Why are you asking us? Formulate your own opinions.

The newer they are the faster they are
The newer they are the more expensive they are to maintain
The newer they are the more pigfat they get and the less engaging they are.

get an e36 and go away
change the water pump every 80k, bye

>1602,2002,gt
>1960s cars
they may be cool or smth, but they sure as fuck aren't a choice for a first car
>z3/z4
>fucking expensive MX5 copies
yeah no fuck off

>1 series
100% troll

>8 series
I even highlighted it you idiot

>no e90
I don't know about these, but seems to do so.
> you really think OP is going to pick a 2002 as a first car?...
this
thanks

troll fuck off

fuck I meant

Theres about a dozen common leaks I sell on an e46, ive done way too many expensive timing chain repairs on e39s, I dont see e30/36s hardly ever so thats what Id go for personally. Less technology less to go wrong, no dynamic sway bar bs among other fun bmw issues

yeah its ok i figured

honestly OP go for a e36

basically the e36 was the last of the 3 series before BMW started to add stupid shit that was expensive to fix and broke easily onto their cars.

my first car was a 2002 and there's literally nothing wrong with the e90 or z3

oh so now you haven opinions.
the 135/1M is probably the most bmw car bmw has made in the last 15 years. but you think im trolling because youre a dunce.

i know more about bmw and cars in general than you will ever know in your lifetime. your question is an insult.

fuck off and buy a honda.

>my first car was a 2002
ok bus rider

Thanks user
noted that e36 and e30 are reliable

I'm trying to get opinions from a lot of Veeky Forums posters to sorta get a general opinion as a partially objective reality.

>The newer they are the more pigfat they get and the less engaging they are.
explainaition?

why does Veeky Forums love the e36s so much?

wait, isnt the 3 series a different thing form e36 and their lineup?

Yeah kinda figured that older cars have more simple technology.
mentions that the e36 series was the last one easy to fix
true?

>oh so now you haven opinions.
I don't want an oldtimer or a smart in disguise, that's the kind of opinion you can have without knowing about the company.

If you know that much, share your knowledge but don't act like the free software extremists on /g/.

I generally wonder what general differences middle class, high middle and high class cars have?

>why does Veeky Forums love the e36s so much?
because they're good cars

yeah but why only those?
and could you go more in depth please?

ok everyone can leave now the expert is here.

i still have it. and a second one.
and an e21 and an e36.
what do you have?

*spoiler alert*
Most of Veeky Forums is poor and the e36 is the cheapest

Why are you such a fag? They're not pointless if someone enjoys them and obviously tons of people do since carmakers manufacture them.

user, when you got your 2002 as your first car, it was probably not that old like it is today.
It is 40 years old now user.
You can't drive that as a young person anymore without getting strange looks

And since I'll most likely ram my first one in a tree I don't want to spend a fortune, so I'm obviously interested in the prices.

(Also, I've been pretty fucking idiotic now, since I saw the 3,6,8 series as independent even tho they're just the coupe/convertible versions of the regular ones, fuck)

because they are the simplest to work on and fix of their "modern" cars.
because they have an iconic body design, probably the best of that era.
the e36 is a cult classic almost.
the parts are cheap, the cars are cheap and plentiful (but getting rarer now)

i truly believe the e36 has one of the best steering racks of any car ive ever driven.
that makes them engaging and fun to drive.

Can someone now explain me that and what advantages/disadvantages it brings with it

yeah tons of women and mid life crisis middle managers.

no self respecting fan of *driving* or someone looking for an objective performance basepoint would buy a convertible.

just cause you got stuck with one doesnt mean u have to defend them

>the parts are cheap, the cars are cheap and plentiful (but getting rarer now)
>(but getting rarer now)
What would be their successors?
Just asking because maybe it could take some more years until I can afford my own car and I want to be futureproof.

On the other hand, what about e34 and e32?

the e46 is the successor to the e36.
e36 aren't rare, but ones worth buying are since they've been abused for the last 10 years by teenagers and minorities.
that goes for all bmws on some level, but the e36 got hit the hardest.

>mfw a 316i can be bought for 200 Euro and below
wew okay I don't need it THAT cheap

I know that the newer 3 series BMWs are the turks favorites, but I don't think the older ones have been affected that much
(I'd check the trunk tho)

e34s are availaible for around 1200Euro and e32s are for around 3000 Euro

that's kinda interesting

I think I couldn't take an e46 or e39, they're just so much of the stereotype of a gangster car, I just can't do that.

The e38s tho look good, but I guess they're far away from my price range, most of them around for 40.000 Euro

Thoughts on the BMW 325i?

Okay, e23 are too old and rare, they're not really worth thinking of.
A kind user yesterday informed me that e31s aren't really that easy to maintain aswell.

There aren't that much left anons, please tell me about the older models.

e24 and e12 are only existing in marginal numbers, I don't think that comes in handy.
e21s are still in the thousands, but I'm not really confident that's good enough.
e28s seem to be even rarer than e21s..

I'm conclusing that these are the only availaible BMWs that aren't 100% turk style

I have no shit but it seems like a good one

the 520i (e34 most built) seems to be starting around 500, the 730i (e32 most built) seems to be between 1000 and 2000.

Are these nice cars or do they have some issues or disadvantages?

mainenance hungry and require premium fuel compared to dont buy the 1996-2001TII 4 cylinder models. had a problem with plastic water pumps breaking off inside the engine, engine over heats and cooks your head gasket. usually costs more to remedy than the car is worth. no bmw is fun, bland, boring german boxes. the german version of a lada.
on second thoughts a lada is a better car. parts are still availible cheaply built, cheap to run

the water pumps were mentioned, thanks anyways user, have a nice day.

okay, this thread was choked to death by me, but I guess I learned anything I wanted to know

/thread

Yes friend it's no secret that coupes outperform convertibles. The thing is that eventually you grow up and realize that bench racing on the Internet is pointless compared to the enjoyment you personally get out of your vehicle. One day you'll realize that I'm right. before you call me a bus rider or convertible jack off or whatever I'll just show you my car.

m3
m4
m5
m6

everything else is trash

>m2
>trash

No, your opinion is trash.

>518i

>518
STEER THE FUCK AWAY ƒAM

I don't think you actually comprehend how big the old E34 is. THat puny 4 banger is inadequate in moving that thing forwards. You'll barely break 160 with that thing, will probably break something else before you break traffic laws anyway.
The 1.8 in that thing is overstressed as fuck. If it was the E36 or 30 then it would be a bit better, but the E34 is big and heavy.
And if you thought the 34 is big, wait till you meet her big sister, the E32. That thing isn't even a boat anymore, it's a fucking cruise liner.

The old pre '91 E34's had the nigh unkillable M20 engine. Thing was weak hp wise, but did have fairly respectable torque, just don't think you'll be going sideways or winning races in that thing. It's also a fairly thirsty engine, something like 9 to 10 litres per 100km is fairly standard for that thing. Only problem with the M20 engine is the timing BLET instead of a chain, the belt originally had to be swapped fairly regularly, was it something as low as 20k km? Despite the short changing interval for the belt, the engine is extremely reliable, probably beating even some big names like the M10 and M30 when it comes to pure abuse.

After 1991, the 520 got the more modern chain driven M50 DOHC engine with 150hp and a bit more torque. That one gave the E34 a very welcome boost of power across all ranges and kept the E34 competitive for a while longer. Fuel consumption also dropped because more power to move that barge of a car.

The E32 is not something I'd recommend for a first car. It's extremely big, heavy and filled with ancient electronics that are bound to fail spectacularly sooner or later. It was a protoype car filled with experimental tech that was pushed into production to kick Benz in the balls and position BMW as a serious contender for the luxury car market with the extravagant machines like the 750 and such.

slow

Thanks for that information,
what are the best e34s and e32s?
Like, which ones are not underpowered?

In a 5 series or above, anything below a 3L engine is gonna be pretty fucking slow.
If you haven't figured it out by now the numbers after the first number are the displacement.

The timing chain tensioner issue in the E39 is limited to the V8s senpai. The E39 530i is probably the best combination of modern amenities and decent power without introducing a bunch of issues from complexity.
I don't know if this has already been said, OP, but working on the vehicle yourself is highly advisable. I don't know if it's the same in yurop but euro specialty mechanics in burger charge out the ass for labor.

You asked about advantages/disadvantages between the lower series vs. higher series BMWs. If I have time later I can autism over this extensively but basically lower series = smaller, more "raw" car with less amenities. higher series like the 7 series are going to be big and full of electronics and fancy luxury features while also being less reliable most of the time. The reliability doesn't always apply though, for example the E39 is no less reliable than the E46 (except the 540i) because they use the same engines.

Kek, so a 316i has 1.6L displacement? Am I getting this right?

Yesterday a guy with an e30 complimented my e36 M3, saying he really wanted one. He said the e30 was difficult to work on and said e36 was easier. I always thought e30 was the easiest?

Yup.
Sometimes BMW does weird shit like making the 540i a 4.4L or the newer turbo models will have higher numbers because it has the performance of a larger engine, but it's almost always accurate.

So, generally speaking, the higher the number the better?

As far as I know all of them are galvanized and lots of them have automatic transmission, right?

Is there any black sheep in the e36 series?

Some people rip on the 318ti, while some swear by them.

My neighbour has two, one with an S52 (M3 engine) swap.

why?