/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

No edition edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

>human mercenary appears
>has a reasonable suit of armour (no breastplate, but a mail shirt at least, and everything is covered)
>actually has a few combat skills
>actually has the armour user skill and so doesn't walk at a snail's pace
fucking amazing. first time I've seen anything close to that competent
5 dead mountain gnomes to her name in her first month here

the 2 I checked are wearing armor, can't see skills or kills because no warriors ever want to join

What do when you have 50+ idle dwarves at all times?

Some migrants have arrived.

build a giant pyramid on the surface out of [most plentiful metal]
create more militia squads
send them into a cavern to fend for themselves, let the last couple survivors back and give them nice rooms
designate the hole surface as a gathering zone, make them all herbalist/woodcutters (so they carry axes around), rule the world and never farm again

Make them smooth stone or draft them into the military.

>furnace operator drops dead in the middle of the tavern
>no combat report
>he had no injuries
>pile of vomit

D-did he die of alcohol poisoning?

Was he ever damaged?

I've noticed one of my injured dwarves who needs a crutch is constantly winded now from walking around while drunk.

>50+ idle dwarves at all times
I would just kill myself. Not on purpose, the sheer weight of my 'tism-induced anxiety would form a singularity in my brain and my head would implode. I can't even imagine how you can get that many idle dwarves.

I think that is possible, the same thing happened to me once and I assume that's what it was

in the initial tavern release cats kept dropping dead from alcohol poisoning (from licking things coated in booze, can't remember how exactly), so death by alcohol poisoning is definitely possible in DF

He'd never seen combat, so he had no injuries.

Sounds like it. Engrave a slab for him, it will note his cause of death.

Apparently he suffocated.

Yeah, they were poisoning themselves with booze, in adventurer mode if you hang out in a tavern long enough people keep ordering drinks and tavern keepers don't have a cutoff point so they'll happily murder their patrons all day long.

Sounds like Dwarves need to learn their limits.

Yeah, that's alcohol poisoning.

He drank himself to death

Is there a way to force dwarves to climb and jump? I'm thinking of building an "exercise or die" fort with jumping, climbing, and swimming challenges that punish failure with injury and/or death. The idea is that all my dwarves will be buff as hell, and any invaders will kill themselves just trying to walk around.

Not that I know of.

They'll happily sit up a tree and starve to death.

Hmm...
What about just building lots of pits covered by retracting bridges connected to repeaters?

Dig the floor from under them while they're adjacent to an unsmoothed wall.
You might be able to use a goblin catch-release-catch scheme to get them to climb to fight. I've never tried, but it should work if you're smart about it.

Could work with 2 wide corridors

It's never too late to pursue a new career path. If my old man became an electrical engineer in his 50's so can a potash maker become a mason or metalsmith.

Performers and tavern keeper serve drinks non-stop if a stockpile and goblets are assigned to a tavern
Basically it doesn't matter if a dwarf is thirsty, they will make him drink until he dies

What's the best way to deal with an insane dwarf? Ignore him? Unfortunate "accident" with a draw bridge?

Wall him in and forget about him

I wish this dude still did art on the DF forums.

Seems to me the only sensible reason to have booze in a tavern is for vampire and necromancer dorfs.

Make them gather any and all plants on the surface. Strip it bare.

>last survivor of a civ is the demon of diamond that created it
>he's off by himself in a camp alone

Holy shit, I could fucking NEVER find demons + their true name before, because they'd always be locked in a dark fort somewhere with 2500 trolls and beak dogs imploding my FPS, but this guy is all by himself.

And he's a demon of a super tough inorganic substance as well. It'll be especially badass to make him a full set of armor to boot.

what mod for armor making plz

Wanderers Friend lets you make armor in adventure mode, but I was just talking about making him some armor in fort mode. My fetish is switching between adventurer and fort mode.

My ideal fort would be just a male and female adventurer and their candy-plated diamond demon. Of course, getting two adventurers the Diagnosis skill is tricky.

>Of course, getting two adventurers the Diagnosis skill is tricky.
What does that have to do with anything?

kinda gay, no metal armor

Did you know: you can alter how much stuff a minecart can hold?

Did you know: you can then use this and a reaction to put a fuckton of water or magma in said minecart?

Did you know: dumping 2916 units of water (or 7/7 depth) out on a cold day results in you being instantly encased in ice?

Well, now you do.

Well they'd have to be able to treat each other for injuries if needed, if there's just two people.

What the fuck were you doing

Dwarves don't need any diagnosis skill to treat injuries. Or diagnose them, for that matter The skill only affects how long the job takes. Even if they did have the skill (or any other medical skill) your adventurers would both need to be getting constantly injured to prevent it from rusting to uselessness.

df/raw/objects/item_tool.txt > minecart > [CONTAINER_CAPACITY:3250000]
df/raw/objects/reaction_other.txt >
A reaction that makes 2916 water and puts it in an empty container.

Save the files, generate a world, test to see if it works, and dump the water out to make sure it is the full 7/7 depth you expected.

Then notice how cold it is outsidie.

No, I mean, what were you doing that required you carrying so much water in a minecart

Oh really? I thought if they didn't have diagnosis, they might misdiagnose a random body part and amputate something important?

Nope. A dwarf who isn't even dabbling yet will diagnose with 100% accuracy 100% of the time.

Thank fucking God.

Oh, silly shit involving construction inside of volcanos where it is really handy to be able to drop large amounts of water or obsidian on specific locations.

If you dump at least 1/7 (416~ units) water over a lava flow tile from 1 z above it, rather than making obsidian it clears the magma briefly since the obsidian gets destroyed. You can use that and tapping the single tick wait key carefully to put down walls and such and clear out sections of lava flow flooring.

I see.
Well, good luck with that. Try not to encase yourself in ice again.

Oh, it'll happen from time to time, it's not a safe hobby, but until Toady lets us dig as adventurers I gotta get my volcanohome fix somehow!

Okay, so I want engraved walls in my dining hall, but half of it is loam. What do I need to do? Mine out the walls and build stone walls?

Your only option is to move your dining hall. You can't engrave constructed walls.

or use dfhack.

I think I have dfhack because I got the LNP. How does this help me?

>You can't engrave constructed walls
Why is it even like this, its not like the walls suddenly turned into plastic or some shit.

Dig deeper. Don't build your fort in dirt, you're not a fucking hobbit.

IIRC, it has to do with how engravings work. They wouldn't be attached to the constructed wall, so you could remove the wall (or floor) and there would be an engraving sitting sitting there in mid-air.

Use DFHack to find and excavate a cube of solid marble. I adore that shit.

Make it so that blocks can be engraved? Or would that fuck with them being used for workshops/ other constructs like pumps?

I'm pretty sure that's another big issue.

Make bigger stockpiles.

Uh, I just realized my outpost liaison didn't leave with the caravan

It's like spring again already

Yeah they chill out in your tavern for a while now.

My dwarves were upset about the lack of goblets so I forged a bunch of golden ones. Will they use them automatically from the stockpile or do I need to assign them somehow?

put em in bins in the tavern

Chests, similar to hospitals

Thanks

Bins will work too as user suggested but not really worth it to bugger around with stockpile settings imo when you can just chuck a few chests down

There should be lead poisoning in this game

I should be able to send those faggoty elves away with some lead lined food barrels and then do the same next year and then get news that they have mysteriously died from my sabotage

>making the game determine syndromes for 124 elves 500 miles away

checked

>he isn't willing to sacrifice some fps for torturing elves

Looks like a triple to me.

Is there any way to turn of damp stone or warm stone cancellations? I mean, this game never holds your hand for anything, but this drives me mad. There is water above where I'm working and I have to re-designate each tile manually again and again. Not only that, when I do it takes sometime before they realize there is a designation so they have to walk all the way back to keep digging, and the fortress is flooding.

If I really want to torture someone it'd probably be goblin babysnatchers who actually deserve it, not elves who have never remotely done anything to bother me

Conversely if I did want to torture them I wouldn't do so by destroying my FPS via tracking random ass interactions on the other side of the planet (and requiring the game monitor their thoughts etc), I would just put them in a pit, and drop one of them a few Z-levels in front of the others so he breaks something, eventually suffers an infected wound, and starts rotting away where they can see smell him. Probably dump garbage on them for additional stench. Eventually their clothes would rot off, causing more bad thoughts, and maybe put a corpse stockpile or butcher's shop in view as well.

Tracking itemsyndrome and bad thoughts for everyone on the whole planet would require much more than the supercomputer that will be needed for the finished DF product.

Elves being evil isn't just a meme. Their values are fucked up as heck.

What about hyoomons?

Yes there is, you have to edit announcements.txt, Google should provide the specifics since it's not exactly clear when looking at the file

They are randomised for each civ.

Thanks to their randomized values, they are the only civ who occationally use war prisoners as slaves.

>Elves being evil isn't just a meme.

It kinda is. The elven cannibalism meme is "once, dozens of years ago, an elf killed and ate a monster like adventurers frequently do." It'd be more interesting (and relevant) if elves were obligate people-eaters who also enjoyed using goblin, human, and dwarven bone and leather but their people eating is extremely rare and undetectable unless you use Legends mode.

They are a friendly race well over 99% of the time whose main relevance is bringing you cloth and thread for when you don't feel like dicking with the textile minigame (I know I sure don't) and very rarely bringing kick ass animals.

So what is the deal with /dfg/ nowadays? There used to be endless flaming over ASCII>Grafix. Nothing anymore.
SInce dfhack/TWBT needs a while to update. What's your favorite ASCII set today, still Myne and Taffer?

Ah, I see.

>There used to be endless flaming over ASCII>Grafix. Nothing anymore.

We got tired of the "joke."

>You beat the dead horse corpse in the upper torso and the body part collapses in a shower of gore!

No, really. Every time an elf kills a hist fig from a civilised race, he/she devours their corpse afterwards. If you didn't know, adv mode cannibalism was an exclusively 0.40 phenomenom, and is taken out now. ONLY elves and goblins eat people, and only elves have an ideology that glorifies it. Seriously, when you check the legends, you'll see the elves attacking other civs and eating their citizens CONSTANTLY. Even Toady mentioned it in the last dev log entry.

Like my chart said, they are also fine with murder and turture.

They are the epitome of misanthropic environmentalism.

>Every time an elf kills a hist fig from a civilised race, he/she devours their corpse afterwards.

No, *sometimes* an elf kills someone and eats the corpse. As a result, over the course of 100 or so years, maybe 20 people got eaten by a given civilization. In a given world, likely none of your adventurers or dorfs will ever uncover evidence of it happening.

>If you didn't know, adv mode cannibalism was an exclusively 0.40 phenomenom, and is taken out now.

It was definitely in .34.xx to some extent.

Much more relevant are human bandits and, of course, dorfs beating each other over inane export laws.

Man, Elves are dicks.

It's not "sometimes". It's every time. Just look up a battle between elves and some other race in legends mode. EVERY hist fig who got killed on the opposing side will be explicitly stated to have been devoured afterwards(assuming they got killed by an elf, since the killer is the one to do the devouring).

there's nothing difficult about the textile industry

>We got tired of the "joke."
pic of a fortress? 10x10 seems a bit small for my taste.

Nah, the south leading river is on the same z-level as the visible water there, while the north and west leading rivers are on the same level as the bottom of that waterfall, so it pours straight from the east input river through to the middle waterfall.

disregard the quote

That's a nicely tuned 10x10 set, sets that small drive me nuts because you gotta scrimp and scrape for every pixel.

Myne and Taffer are natural picks for square sets.

>Seriously, when you check the legends, you'll see the elves attacking other civs and eating their citizens CONSTANTLY.

A bit of an exaggeration. Depends on the exact populations involved, but the most common tendency is for goblins to overpopulate and account for the majority of wars. This world has 5 elven civilizations and are well surrounded and they have waged 0 offensive battles total.

I will keep looking to try to find proof of elves 'attacking everyone'. I'll certainly admit they're more aggressive than, say, dwarves, who don't seem to ever wage offensive war, but wars with elves with a player faction are rare to the point of being treasured. None of the DF players I know have ever even seen elves attack.

>there's nothing difficult about the textile industry
You can't just automate it. It needs micromanagement. That's what sucks imo. Checking if everything is in order, checking planting, shearing, collecting, checking stocks, manually job orderings. It's a pita. W

"difficult" and "not something I find interesting" are two completely separate topics.

If you have enough shearable animals you can put shearing on repeat and it will never cancel out, alternatively having a decent amount and just putting the pens further away would also work.

Aside from unadulterated autism is there any reason to use old school ascii or graphics packs that are easier on the eyes?

old school ascii has less that can break when the game gets updated.
that's about it. it's otherwise just a matter of taste.

>It's every time

Just checked a war with 125 goblin killed in a war against elves, no goblins were devoured. Now of course, its virtually guaranteed the reason that elves are bad at fighting and their giant animals do essentially all heavy lifting, but like I said, its quite rare. At best, its something that happens with 1% of the frequency of getting attacked by bandits or 0.1% of hammerers, and certainly nothing you would ever notice in adventurer or dwarf fortress mode.