>look for 1st
>KRKRRRKRRK
or
>stopped
>shift into 1st
>launch backwards

work van

how my shitstang is

Put it into first first and you'll actually be able to get into reverse 99% of the time. I haven't driven mine in forever but that looks right.

Replace your shifter bushings, you retards. Jesus.

1981 BMW E21

>Veeky Forums
>car maintenance

Yeah i know the trick, but it still sometimes takes going into first nudging it, when going through the gears. The transmission is starting to shit itself anyways. has a hum at 25 mph and i swear something is bent or loose inside there, oh and 5th gear randomly grinds, but it is so sporadic you never expect it, and it scares you every time

Guess

Why does everyone on Veeky Forums have a fucked up shifter?

I have a nearly 2 decade old Ferd and the pattern shifts just as is indicated on the shift knob.

And they're all exactly the same distance forward/backward as the next one? You never have any little oddities?

Shifts as illustrated, with even (though long) throws, except it likes to pop out of second once in a blue moon because second gear is apparently union or something and goes on strike.

They basically all feel the same in terms of distance. I think 5 and R are slightly further from 3 and 4 compared to the distance between 1 and 2, but that feels exactly how it's supposed to. It shifts great actually. Original trans with 202k miles.

>second gear is apparently union or something and goes on strike.
This made me laugh harder than it should have.

nissan d21 with 300k

Veeky Forums is full of retarded children who can't drive see

I borrowed my mexican buddies T100 4x4, apparently it has the same engine as the 1st gen Tacoma.
150HP on a nearly full size truck...

P R N D L2 L1

P R N D 3 2 1

Column shift goodness

Yeah that's true. I just think it's weird because I've driven a few high mileage old shitboxes and none of them were so bad that you really couldn't find a gear.

Accurate representation of work vehicles

Freightliner M2106

Wow you are hardcore.

This is exaggeration for the sake of humor.

I get that the drawings are obviously exaggerations, but I've just never driven any car that was that ambiguous in the shifter feel, and I've driven some old shitty cars. I feel like something would have to be really fucked up for the shifter to not at least somewhat match the intended pattern.

1975 Camaro LT with Muncie 22 4-speed, fucking hurst shifters.

>Put car in reverse
Am I really in reverse?
>Put car in 1st
Am I really in first?
>Put car in 6th
>forget while driving down the highway
Am I'm in 5th or 6th?

Repoastin

Bangin gears like I bang ur mum

So you don't!

It's his daddies car that his daddy put a shitty 400 block in, let him boast lel.

You don't bang gears in an automatic.

I if he is a good boy and eats his veggies daddy will let him sit in it and make vroom vroom noises before nightie night time.

Daily reminder: the guy who owns "your" car, is literally banging your mom!

2016 Camaro 1SS

It's like neutral isn't even fucking there

Not to mention its a mid 70's nova, non-debatably one of the ugliest versions on the nova, more along the lines of Grandma's daily driver at that point.

Fuck off dirtbike fag.

>cb250
>dirtbike

nobike confirmed

My bad, meant to type moped.

Your right it bangs then for you...loudly somewhere between 35 and 65 mph. Just ask my truck

AE86 with a stupidly short shortshifter.

I've had other 86 drivers be astonished at how short it is.

Driving a BRZ, feels rough in first and second gear. It's like there's a barrier that keeps me from shifting them fully in, it goes half and half. And when I shift from first to second, it makes a cranking/slotting sort of sound. This is my first manual so I'm worried I might have fucked up something. Could there be something wrong with the synchro or linkages? 3rd and onwards feel fine.

>Just ask my truck
Does it speak better English than you do? Could you put it on for a moment?

Thats the joke
Yeah, I kinda know that. And you can say what you want, but there's been money and time from both sides spent so both of us consider the car both of ours. I can post here if I want, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Well I like it, and so does everyone at any shows and meets I go to so take that as you will.

Get on my swirl level, scrubs.

No reverse, we can never go back.

Yes, this is truck

I'd pay to see this on a bike

The Only people who compliment on that car is people who don't know anybody/that are poor.

Oh yeah a stick shift on a bike, learn basic automotive design you cancerous fuck.

Gated.

Truck? This is user. Is getting to school OK? His posting is suffering.

2016 Suzuki (Maruti) Alto 800 ... first week was silky smooth, then a day I missed 1st and nothing was the same again ...

This is your dad's car.

>what is a suicide clutch

Obviously it would be similar to the gear shift on a normal bike, but instead you would strap your foot into in.

You would shift by wildly kicking your leg into the correct position.

As long as I remember to shift nice and smooth it feels like pic to the left, though my reverse is push down then left-up

If I try to race it I have troubles with both third and fifth gear unless I get lucky, and if I change from 1'st at higher than 4000 RPM it will grind like a mofo and I cannot get it into second.

This happened after I tried racing it.

Protip: trying to race a 15 year old estate with every shift being jerky is going to fuck your gearbox.

I drive like my grandma now

How would you know? Would you consider multiple pro Mod racers at the track and David Freiburger people who are poor and dont know anybody? Just because it's your opinion doesn't make it true.

Boi he has a 2008 suburban

1G DSM

Mine feels like this
:^)

>Would you consider multiple pro Mod racers at the track and David Freiburger people who are poor and dont know anybody?

Yes, and I certainly would not take a 16 year old's word for it.

Meant to type Anything but auto-correct did me a solid and typed Anybody.

and it looks like this ;^)

No I fail him much

My first truck was a column shifter with jacked up linkage, so it had this fun way of flying completely past any gear. Maximum kek when 17 and trying to drive a girl around and you're stopped a a light trying to jiggle the shifter back into place :^) This is back in the 90s and even then nobody knew about 3-onna-trees anymore.

Now my xterra is just showing its age. I get a little chuckle when the gearshift moves on its own during accel/decel in 3rd gear (weridly it doesn't do it in any other gear)

I don't drive a manual, but why do shift patterns go like this over time?

there's bushings and linkages that wear, get loose, etc., and when your synchros are tired of all your dagumi action it feels like you're trying to shift through rocks

Fucked linkages and synchros mostly.

>so both of us consider the car both of ours.
Except the title is in daddy's name
Except the insurance is in daddy's name
Except daddy bought it
Except it's parked in daddy's garage
Except I have to ask permission to drive daddy's car
> I can post here if I want, and there's nothing you can do about it.
Just like I can post about how fucking pathetic you are for posting pictures of your daddy's car, then making some lame attempt to say that it's just as much yours as it is his.
You are a fucking teenager living at home you don't own shit.

>cancerous fuck

Do these happen from normal wear, abuse, bad driving, or what?

Why only 3rd Reich? Because if you're not good at manual, there's a lot of Stalin.

"Yes." Anything that happens normally over time will happen faster with abuse and bad driving, user.

Thanks lad, all I needed to know.

Buying my first manuél tomorrow, so I want to minimize fucking up my transmission as much as possible,

one of us
one of us
one of us

what, is this supposed to be some kind of face? Get this shit out of here.

(You)

Th-thanks for the (You)

Congrats. Even though shift patterns do get fucky, you will get used to it. I never mis-shift 2nd for 4th, and even if it's difficult to get into reverse it's never impossible.

3rd is like pushing the gearstick through gravel
4th is smoother than a babys ass
5th pristine because previous owner didnt know it was a 5 speed
reverse is GGGGGRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRIIINNNNNNNNNND clunk

cringe

Why would you bother installing something that nice in a chevy truck?

Lets play a game called guess that car

I have two 6speeds. The reverse is opposite. I always mix it up.

>no torqs
Civic

Ding ding ding

going into 2nd and reverse can sometimes be a pain in the ass, but every other gear is silky smooth

>TWENTY FUCKING SIXTEEN
>THERE ARE LITERALLY PEOPLE ITT WHO DO NOT PUT IT IN FIRST OR OTHER GEARS BEFORE PUTTING IT IN REVERSE TO AVOID THE FAMOUS REVERSE GRIND
ABSOLUTELY FUCKING DISGUSTING

hipster 50's vertical shift

I use 3rd then reverse, no worries user, still pops like hell tho

>this

it's the breakdown of the nuclear family, user. no based dads to teach them the basics. they all learned to drive the manuel from youtube videos of furries and such.

Guess my car
Hint: It's Japanese