Squeaking coming from engine compartment

Hey Veeky Forums, this is my first time posting here. I recently got a car, my first car. Its a 2002 Buick Lesabre. Just today about 40 minutes ago I started it up and there was this squeaking noise coming from the engine compartment. I want to say more specifically it was the belt but I cant be sure. I was wondering if any of you had some input on this.
Pic related, its my car

check the belt, how does it look? it can also be power steering if there's a small hole, i would turn the wheels as well to be sure

Very loud squeak?

Belts are very obvious, just open the hood and listen for the noise

The belt is brand new, I just installed it saturday. As for the steering, it feels fine. I took it around the neighborhood and the steering was fine

if the belt is brand new it may not be the right one?
maybe its not tight enough?

Whe I opened the hood and checked it, it sounded like it was coming from the belt. I also recently changed out the radiator hoses and the 2 elbow joints on the water pump, so I think its very likely that some anti-freeze got on the belt

Guaranteed shit on the belt/pulleys. You rubbed your oily little mits all over it.

just drive it around for a while in that case

I was not the one who purchased the belt, my dad did. So I'm not entirely sure if he got the wrong one by mistake but when we put it on it seemed to fit right

How tight is the belt? There shouldn't be more than 10-20mm (3/4 inch in old money) play if you firmly push down in the middle of the longest section between pulleys.

Is it a constant squeal? Or more like a bird chirping. If so, it may be the tensioner

Kind of like a bird chirping

Kind of like a bird chirping

I took a closer look at the belt, it looks like some of it was worn away by rubbing against the alternator

Against the alternator? Can you grab a pic.

I'm not sure if it was against the alternator but it looked like it was rubbing against something

oh lawd

m8 the belt has to be all the way across the grooves on all the pulleys

in addition, I just took it out and it didn't sound right. When I pushed down the pedal, the revs went up but it accelerated slowly and it seemed like it couldn't get over 45. I've had a problem like this before with my moms explorer.

You pt the belt on wrong you fucking idiot

The belt is fucked, for one, you will need another new one. You've installed it either incorrectly or too loosely which has caused to jump inwards and trash itself.

Shit, I'm sorry, I've never really done any car work on my own. What little I do know was from my dad helping me and watching top gear. To remedy this do I just need to slip it back over the grooves or do I need to replace the belt entirely

Should replacing the belt solve my problem?

You need a new belt, that one is totalled. It needs to sit all the way inside the pulley, and where it hits a tensioner on the smooth side of the belt, inside the obvious clean bit as you can see from the pic you posted.

It's a bit of a colossal fuck up but I won't take the piss as everyone starts somewhere, and you shouldn't have done any real damage other than to the belt. Just get a new one, keep an eye on its alignment, tension it correctly and maybe watch a couple of youtube vidoes on it if you're still unsure.

A) I hope to christ you used the metal replacement elbows.

B) Spray a small amount of brakekleen on the belt at idle, should get rid of any grease pretty quickly

Pic related. I know how to make these things run for a long time.

The belt tensioner is automatic, so if it isn't tight enough, and you're sure you've got the right belt, then you need a new tensioner.

What's your oil pressure like at idle when it's heatsoaked in the summer?

The lowest I see my Oil Pressure is around 35-40lbs.

Also when I started it up, a warning message came on saying something like oil levels or pressure are low. I checked my oil and it was fine as was the pressure gage

You've probably got a bad sensor. They tend to flake out by intermittently dropping to 0psi. Hit the guage info button a few times until you see oil pressure and watch it for a while to see if it drops to zero and then jumps back up. Or just replace the sensor. Fair warning, you're going to need a big wrench.

Should replacing the belt fix the issue with the acceleration

Where do you live OP? The dealer I work at sold a gold 02 lesabre with a squeak from the engine on start today

No. Does the car run smoothly or is it running rough or sluggish when driving? If it's revving and running normally and not accelerating it could be the transmission slipping...

If it's running weird or rough and not accelerating it could be a number of things, simple as a vacuum leak to fuel filter or airflow sensor or even air filter.

It's probably just a mouse. Chill bro

I live in central virginia

It feels a bit rough and sluggish