/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Shortened OP Edition // Previous Thread: This is a thread for amateur and aspiring game developers and anyone interested in the field.
The OP you're used to is here:
>pastebin.com/geTiMLWZ

Even older helpful links can be found at:
>alloyed.github.io/agdg-links/

NEWS:
• Space Jam! A game jam themed around space, not the Charles Barkley movie. Over soonish.
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

• Final Demo Day Nine is complete! No one won. It was (Not) a competition.
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-9

• The first ever Demo Day Ten begins at some point between t=0 and t=∞
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

• Beta /AGDG/ Website
tools.aggydaggy.com/#

Other urls found in this thread:

clyp.it/hwb3q3rp
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Give game idea that will make a bit of money so i dont have be a neet

Say I have variable, x. x is calculated from the level using a random number who's limits increase with the level, this is then used in combination with a natural log function.
What would be the best way to achieve this?

You'll still be neet regardless

Read some books, watch some movies, look at concept art online, walk around outside. Inspiration will come to you.

Minecraft but with spheres

DO NOT POST:
-anime
-racism and offensive memes

>shortened op
>source in op
CAN YOU
F U C K
O F F
SHITFAM

Thats a load of bullshit

Wasn't me tbhf

A multiplayer open world PvP/Zombie multiplayer game that actually works properly

STOP SHORTENING THE OP

WHAT IS THE POINT, IT SAVES LIKE 200PX OF SCREEN SPACE

FUCK YOU

You're a load of bullshit

Anything is okay as long as they're not liberals or fags.

MODS

All caught up
>sourcefam had a gigantic meltdown last night because someone called his boyfriend rotate a fag
>got all his posts deleted
>comes back to false flag about what triggered him
>gets all his posts deleted
kekarooo

Which engine would work best for a 3D beat em up?

how 2 make vidya without doing any work or having any ideas?

>Shortened OP Edition

Have money, hire devs and artists.

what if i do'nt have money???

i prototyped an item container a few days ago, but it didn't quite work out as well as i wished it did, so i'll be tweaking it more
i made this stage start caption though

UE4

That's what I figured. Thanks man.

There are several ways for you to suicide then, just pick whatever fits you.

whats wrong with that? less useless garbage to scroll past now.

Liberals and fags need to fuck off from my /agdg/. I may not have made this thread, but /agdg/ as a concept belongs to me and I know what's best for it. Liberal literal faggot nodevs have to go, before we make them go.

Noice. Very smooth.

I don't think that post is serious user

Yes because having to scroll a fucking mouse wheel is so much effort. And that useless garbage might be useful for someone else.

So in GameMaker how do I make stuff... "right".

I see tutorials where the keyboard and stuff directly controls the player which is fine for a really basic game, but if you want to do stuff like navigate menu's it seems terrible.

If I was doing it in anything else I'd do a control class that took care of everything, managed states and handled all input (menu, game, etc)

Same thing in Gamemaker? Just make an invisible object in the room that is your control class/input handler?

I assume it's the same for most things like that.

Trying to build it right out of the gate instead of fucking around and fixing shit later. All these tutorials I'm watching are garbage for any kind of game that isn't -just- control the character.

sorry but us liberals control the media, you conservicucks can control it when you make something that people actually like.

Not an argument.

Guys I'm trying to implement player collision with terrain and stuff and I can't figure it out. Right now I've been determining player z based off a heightmap, but if I add extra geometry like houses and stuff it wouldn't work because I'd have to adjust the heightmap accordingly and that'd be too much of a hassle. How can I go about determining the vertices nearest to me out of all the floor geometry in the entire map (ground+additional geometry like houses in order to determine player height based off of the plane between the nearest three vertices) without cycling through all of the vertices in the current zone since that'd be way too resource intensive?

Good goygem

Go monkey go! Teach agdg a lesson for triggering you last year!

>us (((liberals))) control the media

>21. Original content is original only for a few seconds before getting old.

We need to build a wall around agdg

>check Steam for American Psycho
>it's real
When did Steam add movies?

>when you make something that people actually like.
Remind me...................... Where is your game?

Just download RPGMaker and take their sound effects.

With GML If I want to set up an array/queue/stack that stores objects another object carries, should I put it in a script or in the object itself??

Hi again anons, looking for feedback on the fog and snow effects for my snow area.
So far thinking I should make the fog more pixelated.
What should I change to make it look better? Should I make the snow the same color as the ground? Feedback very much appreciated

Not progress. Post progress.

Wow man, just like shoot out a raycast or two to see how far away stuff is from the player.

Or wrap the character in an invisible object that has collision with the world.

Progress, Lads (n' Lasses ;] )!!!!

So I'm thinking of making a RTS/Econ sim like Cultures. 2D or 3D doesn't matter, but I'm trying to decide on a game engine that can handle a bunch of AI driven units at once, pathfinding, and complex AI. I'm not sure how far I'll get with this considering I'm a novice, but I'd love to try out programming AI.

Well for one thing, fog isn't a thing in sub-freezing temperatures.

The fog is a little too dense for me. The character is standing on ice, right? If so, everything reads well and looks good.

I guess that's true, do you think that is important to note in a fantasy setting or can I get away with something like this? Any idea what I could replace it with for some more atmosphere?

Thanks, I agree the fog is a bit too dense, I'll lighten it up. And yes that's ice. Thanks!

That thing is tiny. What's the point?

Unity/Unreal would do

I feel like it moves too quickly right now user.

If you pixelate the fog I'd hope it matches visually with the snow falls and if you have rain, it match that visually. I think it looks good as is, but maintaining a consistent visual style will help you stick to creating assets and moving forward.

Don't fall victim to analysis paralysis.

This is great! Very inspiring.

idea guy here

its like pokemon go except its race wars

buttplugs aren't supposed to be big
also it's probably travel size

You can probably get away with it. Your game is fantasy: weirder things are probably happening, anyway.

unreal does pathfinding for you and it has a visual implementation of behavior trees which is really convenient

I haven't used anything else though

FRIG OFF

You need to stop mixing high res realistic lighting and effects with the pixel art you have, it doesn't fit at all, your art still is too simple for that.
Same problem you had with your lighting in the dark area

I'm developing a VR mecha game. Here's a demo of the hand tracking.
What do you guys think?

You're not stuck in one spot right?

Thanks for the feedback! I'm going to pixelate it and slow it down.
I often do the opposite of analysis paralysis, which is why I'm asking for feedback before I move on to other things.

Sorry for the stupid question I've just never done a 3d game before with terrain and stuff more complex than just a heightmap. I don't really know much about raycasting or how to program it, I get the concept I just don't really get how to determine if things intersect with the ray w/o checking if it intersects with every polygon in the collision mesh. Are you getting what I'm saying? I can't find raycasting related stuff thats not for creating 3d perspective from 2d maps. Could anyone point me to like an online article or anything regarding it?

I'm sorry I just don't have the anal capacity of a pickup truck like you do. It does it for me.

it's cool but like with all VR games the lack of haptic feedback means you're going to get into tons of situations where the display can't actually match the player and then you'll be out of sync

What's better?

5 HP and attacks deal 1 a piece

or

500 hp where standard attacks deal 100 dmg a piece

in other words should I have big numbers for the sake of having big numbers?

this is why it's a good idea to use established engines who have already figured all this stuff out and have tons of documentation

this is where things like quad/oct-trees and stuff come into play to minimize collision comparisons

For now, but I'm going to implement ZoE-style boosting movement.
The player will never be out of sync, since it shows the player's hands inside the cockpit in addition to the giant mecha hands. As long as "your" hands match IRL movement, it should be fine.

It looks better to have whole numbers than decimals desu senpai. You should start out with 50 HP and attacks deal 10 a piece and then work your way up. If you start with 5 hp and attacks deal 1 a piece then if you introduce any randomness you'd still get very similar whole numbers but if you start with 50 hp and attacks deal 10 when you include randomness you could get like from 1-10. Ya know what I mean?

It mostly boils down to your minimum damage, or if there's randomness in your damage. Like Final Fantasy having 999 max HP while Fire Emblem has 60, as there's no randomness in Fire Emblem. Little HP with randomness results in too much variance.

How many of you actually planned out your game and made design documents.

Holy fuck is it useful when you're actually planning to make something. Doing these in school was fucking stupid because the scope was tiny, but its insanely useful here.

this is something FF games do really well. you typically start around 20-30 damage and end up in the thousands by the end. there's a lot less room to balance things if you have bigger numbers and players enjoy the progression more of gaining 10 damage every level rather than 1 damage every 2 levels. that said, if the numbers are too big they start to feel meaningless and the player can't accurately judge how "valuable" an increase is

>buttplugs aren't supposed to be big
You aren't trying hard enough.

j/k i probably couldn't even fit that in my butt, even though I'd like to

>using a controller to control your stationary character using a controller

molyneux, you're a genius

Progress on music assets
>clyp.it/hwb3q3rp

You actually just answered my question by bringing up quad/octrees. Would it work to take in all the collision geometry at the start, position it properly, then split it into essentially square cells (like a quadtree) and then do the raycasting and check for collision with the collision geometry in that cell?

Doing some documentation right now for my game. Will have to document how I want my code objects so I have a frame that I just need to implement in actual code.

what the fuck googum you've just become a shitposter these days

And here's an early WIP of the player's mech.

How do you make design documents. Sounds useful.

looks like a rabbit with huge buck teeth and those arab sheik hats where they hold a cloth in their head with a band

desu I've always liked smaller numbers. Hitting my first double-digit damage in runescape was 10x more satisfying than any 1000s of damage I did in maplestory.

My current plan is finish the demo, and then go back and write up a real design spec detailing both features and implementation plans. I think it'd be really hard to do without making some kind of prototype first, and I'm learning a lot about what I want and what I don't want, and how to structure the code better in the future.

Also reposting from last night. Implemented status effects and a minimap placeholder/clock. This is the fire spikes status effect.

It's not that bad, it's a relatively small size one (small fenrir the wolfdragon from baddragon), it's a little painful to take out when you're done and everything but it's really satisfying and filling to have it in and its actually surpisingly easy to get it in.

oof

thats gorgeous

thanks for the advice guys

Looks good, user. What are you making this in? Controllers are obviously Move, but is it achieved on PC with some hacks or are you actually devving for PSVR?

Also, good thinking with the "real hands on controller, robo hands elsewhere". I was thinking about something similar (Except giant robots like Megas XLR, not mechs). So I am interested in how well that idea works.

smaller numbers are the best. big numbesr are FUCKING STUPID. by the way apparently jagex is working on a new game called Runescape Remastered

agdg is useless for anything else and game dev in general is a waste of time

Root motion is hard

Die hard RPG fans tend to like the bigger numbers
More casual people like the smaller numbers
Depends what you'er going for

I have a really incomplete one. It's just hard for me to sit down and write out that stuff.

You are correct that it is useful though. I'm typing some extra stuff into it right now and just brainstorming because im not sure how I want to implement something

Probably roughly something like that, but you'd definitely have to read up a lot more on it. I only know the basics of how they work and what they're for.

dat ass

Thanks a ton for the advice. I really appreciate it!

>in other words should I have big numbers for the sake of having big numbers?
why even have numbers?