Is this a good toolset for the money?

Is this a good toolset for the money?

harborfreight.com/hand-tools/sockets-ratchets/professional-301-piece-mechanics-tool-kit-45951.html

It would be like $150 with all the discounts ands hit.

Other urls found in this thread:

craftsman.com/craftsman-230-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00950230000P
harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-tool-sets/225-pc-mechanics-tool-set-62664.html
youtu.be/TWQAYfGxsPE
harborfreight.com/warranty-info.html
sears.com/craftsman-311-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00953311000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

do yourself a favor and buy Craftsman.
may not be top tier quality, but their hand tools all have unconditional lifetime warrantees.
and they mean unconditional. since all hand tools by them have the warrantee, you need no paperwork on hand, and you can even intentionally break them with improper use

>Harbor Freight
At least buy one of their Pittsburg Pro ratchets to go with it. The ones with the green handles. And never try to use anything too hard or it will fail.

Which tool set exactly

I own it. It's a good deal for the money. After daily use for around a year the 3/8 ratchet broke. I've never had an issue with any of the sockets or other tools.

I use the 220 Piece set with the case. 100 USD
right now
craftsman.com/craftsman-230-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00950230000P

Is this set better?

harborfreight.com/hand-tools/hand-tool-sets/225-pc-mechanics-tool-set-62664.html
It seems to come with more sockets and quality wrenches for $70 less

+1

That set in the pic seemed expensive for Harbor Freight. A decent Craftsman set should run about that much if you catch it on sale.

Just remember, don't pay full price for Craftsman. They always go on sale for wayyy cheaper. The set in the pic on the right, I think full retail is like $120 or something stupid but I got it on sale for $40.

I want a tool set that is cheap but comes with everything to where I won't need to go run to the hardware store and buy a $10 socket or fucking whatever for a project

That's still a lot of money for Harbor Freight tools. Those ratchets are much better than the ones in the OP. Not great, but they should get the job done.

Well if I get it on mothers day they have a 25% off sale.

Care to help an user out and give me more options brother?

I was the one saying Craftsman. Loom for a decent set that comes with metric and standard sockets in 1/2", 3/8", and 1/4" drives. They will have a full set of regular wrenches with them, as well as screwdrivers and bits.

That second one you posted isn't bad. But if you take care of your shit, it might be worth getting Craftsman so you can use it for years and years. Even that first HF one has all those hex sockets and stuff which is cool, but those ratchets normally kinda suck so you could buy the Pittsburgh Pro ones with it.

Just remember, those kits normally don't have pliers and a couple other small things you will use a lot so set a little money aside and grab a nice set of pliers too.

And the one user posted here looks like a good deal. Just grab a screwdriver set, pliers set, and maybe hammers and shit like that and you will be good.

>I won't need to run to the hardware store
I have some bad news for you OP. No matter how many tools you have, you are ALWAYS missing something. Something will always pop up and cause you to have to hunt down a very specific tool. I'd suggest buying used snap on or craftsman off craigslist, as they can always be replaced with no questions asked. Just buy a shit load of tools. If you don't already have it, but it. If you only have 1 of a specific size wrench, buy another. Sometimes you need 2 of the same size at the same time.

+1 for craftsman

Horror fright is terrible for components that move

Nigger their hydraulic floor jacks are something worth noting though

that lifetime warranty will be super valuable when sears goes out of business in 3 years

Honestly the only time i would even want a plastic case is for a traveling tool set or a set i leave in my car

For my garage i built a tool cart like the one Tested showed adam savage made

youtu.be/TWQAYfGxsPE

Just make a cover for it so your tools don't get dusty and get those socket holders with holes so you can bolt them to the side of the cart just make sure the base of the cart is wider than the how far the sockets stick out

That's what works for me, just keep trying stuff until you find what works for you

If you do go the tool cart route like the one i posted above mount an extension cord to it and mount any battery chargers on it

>do yourself a favor and buy Craftsman.
>their hand tools all have unconditional lifetime warrantees.

Sears is continuing the downward spiral. It seems pretty clear that it will go out of business within 5 years or less. It keeps on shrinking and only selling off assets like precious land it had from long ago has kept it alive. It recently announced (very quietly) another round of store closings. These USA stores just cannot compete against stores that are full of chinese-made copyright/patenttheft items such as Wal-Mart.

Harborfreight regularly has those 20% off purchase coupons in my area. It appears in those monthly coupon envelope mailings in your USPS mail and I also see them occasionally in the newspaper. If you don't get a physical newspaper, then I can see why you never saw the harborfreight coupon listings.

Bretty sure I saw a sign at my harbor freight that said lifetime warranty on all hand tools

didnt mean much to me because the store is like an hour away and there's both a home depot and lowes like 10 minutes away that both have the same policy with their handtools

stick with whatever tool brand is closest, tho imo lowes hand tools are easier to replace since they all have a serial number on them

>good
>harbor freight

kek

harborfreight.com/warranty-info.html

Yeah they have the same limited lifetime warranty on their handtools as every other retailer.

I have had this set for 3 years. I have used the hell out of it and only over broke the 3/8 ratchet once. I like it so much i bought another to keep in the truck.

I'll ask this here because it's tool related.

What tools do I need to get started with DIY maintenance? Torque Wrench, Jack, Jack Stands. Regular Wrenches?

I have always relied on my brother's tools, but I'm moving out so I'd like to know what's the bare minimum I would need.

>Craftsman
The canadian equivalent is Mastercraft sold at canadian tire. At the moment tools are cheap here in Canada. Bought a 500 piece socket set for $120 cad.

OP buy a nice socket set that covers you in both SAE and metric for a 3/8inch ratchet ATLEAST. Then 1/2" followed by 1/4" coverage. A lot of shit can be done with a 3/8" ratchet wrench with a 1/2" breaker bar on the side. Luxury attachments would be a pivot socket extension, they can be had for a couple of bucks from china.

If you can find a dealer, which you may have to dig around to find I strongly suggest SK Tools. Craftsmen was awesome in the 90s till the early 2000s,now I'm pretty sure all of their tools are made in China with some of their 'premium' tier made in the USA.

SK tools are the perfect line between the overpriced tool truck brand and the old craftsmen. They're priced a bit more than the Craftsmen but not overly so like SnapOn or Match.

I have that same set, got it on sale at Sears for $60 (IIRC). Not bad at all, although like most sets it's got 40 fucking hex keys to pad out the part number.

This too. Get yourself a good screwdriver set- go for fixed ones, not the changeable-tip ones, most of the time they suck and the tips fall out at the worst possible times- pliers, a rubber hammer so you can smack stuff into place without worrying about dents/breaks, and any other odds and ends you'll need at some point that you won't be using a whole lot (torque wrench, oil filter wrench, zip ties and duct tape, WAT stickers, etc etc) get them if they're on sale and you think of them or when you need 'em at your local Harbor Freight.

Depends heavily on your vehicle. If you drive an import, only buy metric. If you drive american, you'll need both metric and standard. It also depends on what kind of work you'll be doing. You can do suspension work with a mechanics set and a pickle fork most of the time, but if your doing engine or transmission work, you'll need a specialized tool every now and then

No on the torque wrenches. I think I can count on one hand the number of things I use my torque wrenches for. Jack yes, jack stands yes, depending on what car you own just a metric set of wrenches, sockets, adapters, pry bars, breaker bars, screwdrivers and some assorted pliers.

>I'm pretty sure all of their tools are made in China

Plenty of good stuff comes out of China; you just have to care about quality control.

Expect to replace the ratchets but everything else is good. If it's your first tool set ever and you're only doing light work it will serve you well but you will want an upgrade eventually.

I really just want to do Oil Changes and tires. Don't I need to torque my wheels?

>Don't I need to torque my wheels?

Are you driving a race car? Then no.

Jacks, stands and wrenches. Maybe some sockets and a ratchet if you have a belly pan on the car. Oil drain bucket to catch the used oil and a funnel to put new oil in.

Manual says 89ft/lbs or whatever. Figure I'd need to torque them.

Thanks

I'd go with craftsman
sears.com/craftsman-311-piece-mechanics-tool-set/p-00953311000P?prdNo=3&blockNo=3&blockType=G3

Not as good as the older usa made craftsman, but you could get lucky and receive a NOS one.

>quality control

Pretty much my issue with most shit coming from China. First giveaway is spotty welds on a thing like jack stands or car jacks.

For what it's worth the 2.5 ton long arm jack I have from harbor freight is amazing, going on 4 years, no issues. I went through 3 craftsmen within 2 years, those are straight trash.

this is why I only recommend Craftsman hand tools
everything else they make is overpriced to downright shoddy.

as a mechanic at honda my tool box has all sorts of brands. given that, i shop at harbor freight alot
150$ for a 301 piece set is okay but i think you can get a craftsman set for about that price.

just my opinion i buy any tool with a lifetime warranty no matter the brand

>husky
>stanley
>harbor freight
>craftsman
>snap on
>matco
>mac tools
list of brands in my tool boxes

I like the red handle ones much better. The greens are a bit rough, and you can't take them apart.

Bump

I'd say it's really good for the money. They aren't great quality, but having tools is better than not having tools.

Meh, Craftsman hand tools are very good. It's the other shit labeled Craftsman that's gotten weak like motorcycle lifts, jacks, and electric tools.

Also Sears ain't goin' out of business anytime soon. Yeah they have to adapt, but remember they are more than just "Sears". Sears bought Kmart a few years ago and own several other retailers.

What are the torque specs on that ratchet?

Why ask o they too poor to own real tools.

It looks pretty good to me. Personally if you want a, "do it all" kit I would also buy a torque wrench.