Why does Veeky Forums hate these again?

Seems like a lot of car for the money.

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=87H6m2v4zNs
topgear.com/car-news/supercar/2018-nissan-gt-r-heres-what-we-know
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

it's not a 400HP Supra for 20k USD
how dare they

I'm trying to be realistic here, user. Honest to tits it seems like a good value.

Plus isn't it very realistic to turbo it and make 400hp?

>Plus isn't it very realistic to turbo it and make 400hp?

Maybe if you enjoy launching rods out of your block.

It's not a lot of car for the money. Doesn't mean it's a bad car though.

I thought everybody boosts these things?

How much HP is typical? 400 sounds like a fairly conservative number as far as N/A-T conversions go on sports cars.

for a dyno run? yes
for a daily driver? 400 from a 4 pot boxer is gonna be peaky as hell

Forza-babby plz go, you know nothing about cars

you guys dont know shit

Why do you think I am asking you guys? I read a couple threads here about how shitty this car was but intuitively it seemed to me like you guys are missing something.

it's not a shitty car, just don't think adding a turbo is an easy fix. without tuning you'll either blow it up or make it undrivable.
it's just not a good value car, like almost every sports coupe to ever exist.

JUST

Just get some UEL get a tune kill the torque dip and stfu. So easy. You don't need to turbo it it's not for the drag strip never was.

You're a fucking idiot if you think 400hp out of a 2.0L 4 banger without built internals is feasible. It's not a bad car. But it's hardly a lot of car for the money.

no one is throwing on a turbo kit and not tuning it

stupid

its been done plenty of times

Doesn't tuning out the torque dip destroy the fuel economy?

I don't mean like a good value compared to a corolla, I mean like a good value in terms of sports cars.

It seems like it ticks all the boxes, and with a couple mods I can easily embarrass everybody (except myself) with it.

For 3000 miles between rebuilds? 400hp on the stock longblock is incredibly stupid.

280-300 whp can be done reliably on pump. 350-400 is very easy with E85. It's a lot more than the 160 whp that comes stock.

If you want performance/dollar you buy a Mustang or Camaro. If you desire the driving experience of a nimbler, smaller car, you buy an 86 or miata.

>no one is throwing on a turbo kit and not tuning it
you'd be surprised what idiot garage monkeys have access to that they can weld to a car

if you set up the car for low boost with maybe a button to override it for short term 400HP, it MIGHT be ok. but you will wear out internals quickly.

nigga

some company took the stock block to over 600hp then did over 500 pulls and it didnt break

Running what, pure ethanol?

we're not talking the block, we know that's solid for boost. Subaru made it that way on purpose.
it's the moving internals that might not last long under boost

E85

they blew up a few transmissions tho

Stock longblock or stock block?

If I bought one I'd keep it stock. Once you figure in the cost of turbocharging it you could buy something better. People think they are ONLY going to spend a few thousand dollars to "slap a turbo on it". But it's going to cost over twice that amount.

yeah

a stock long block

do you not get what that means?

>200HP on premium gas
>Skinny prius tires for sik drifts bro
>Owned exclusively by faggots
>Literally slower than a V6 minivan

If you want a 2+2 liftback with 200hp, go buy any coupe from the 80s for literally 1/4 the price

Longblock = everything inside the engine
Block = just the block, internals can be different

I wonder what boost pressure that is running

>>Literally slower than a V6 minivan
This is one of the stupidest arguments evar. Maybach makes a huge ass limousine that can go 0-60 in just over 4 seconds. Think of all the great cars you would take a pass on based on that criteria.

>evar
Faggot.
Maybach doesn't make any fucking minivans. "Slower than a minivan" is different from "slower than a Maybach limo", dumbass.

I'm just pointing out that it's pretty shit for the amount of money, you can get so many far better cars, for much less of the cost on the used market. If you REALLY want a brand spanking new sports car, buy a Miata, which is better in every way except storage space

Tfw got extra 100hp from a turbo on my 86 and its reliable as fuck with good fuel economy

I desire the driving experience of a nimbler, smaller car with the power of a mustang or camaro. Seems reasonable to me.

slow

PRIUS TIRES
R
I
U
S

T
I
R
E
S

ITT: Assmad FagR-S fangirls

You know it, sister

You really can't have both because then it becomes a monster that wants to kill you. You can have equivalent power/weight wirh adequate tires.

Fuel efficient dorifto, bruh

Stop being obtuse faggot. You're comparing a mini van to a small sports car and saying it's better because it's faster. That logic applies to any car then.

This is a stupid conversation. That's the role of a corvette or any lotus or porsche 911. They just cost more money to tick all the boxes...

That car is around 200 ponies stock. Pushing 400 out of that is a big fucking jump.

It's not just like you bolt on a turbo, start pushing 40 pounds of boost, call it a day and you've added 200hp

Corvette and 911 at least are less nimble. Forgot about lotus for a second.

great, now you reminded me we have no modern MR-2
thanks

>your z1 corvette is shit
>my kenworth has triple the torque

Well, I mean...
If your minivan is faster than my sports car, it's clear there's a problem.

FFR 818 if you don't mind building it

looks like a babby TVR from the front
not sure if want

Friend of mine had a 400hp (conservative tune) or so S15 (383 at the wheels at 26psi if I recall) but a LOT of work went into it to make reliable.

I can't see you strapping a turbo on and making 400hp for very long, if at all.

~1800lbs
Double wishbone suspension all around
MR
Spaceframe chassis
Is your penis erect yet?

Im already looking for a job so i can buy it

would love it if it didn't look like ass

>pigfat
>underpowered
>overpriced
there you go

friendly reminder it is slower than the miata

Is nobody gonna acknowledge them quints?

youtube.com/watch?v=87H6m2v4zNs
here you go

Looking at the pre-facelift models or post-facelift?

the updated one definitely looks better from the front and rear, but it still has that awkward interaction between the door and the B pillar.

...the rear is identical.

+1, they look awkward, really awkward.

Why couldn't they have made it look like a mini LMP?

>pigfat
Compared to a bike
>underpowered
Your ass bringing down the power to weight ratio isnt the car's problem
>overpriced
Show me a better value sports coupe of the same year

I will.

fuck off faggot this isn't [s4s]

The car should have come stock with a turbo. The car begs for it. I put a turbo on mine a year ago and it's a joy to drive. Is it a fast car? No. But I definitely see a market for it. If you want more bang for your buck/ a fast car, I would honestly recommend getting a WRX or Mustang. But for me, I wanted a fun 2 door sports car.

SR20 can handle more than that motor...

SR20 is dogshit old

lol sad

You wanna know why? The car was marketed as some amazing evolution of toyota's sports car lineup, dealerships were told to give no-one test drives and treat it like a ferrari.

So after all this hype, we find out the car is worse than a NA supra (which you can get for 10 grand here in australia, if you're after a quality one).

The NA supra has near perfect weight distribution, more HP and WAY more torque. It also has a non tacky as fuck interior and you get real leather, instead of fake carbon fiber.

It's also more drivers orientated and fun, instead of artificial fun because the car has shitty tyres.

You can also later on, turn that supra into something really good with a bit of money.

You cannot do that with the 86, short of an entire engine swap. It's a waste of time.

Furthermore, it's so light because it's designed to work with those shitty tyres so you lose traction easily and can have "fun". You cannot turn it into a performance car down the line for this reason as well.

Take the 35 GTR for a reason. The engineers specifically made it weigh what it weighs, because if you put too much power and too little weight, it becomes dangerous. Perhaps not for a good driver, but the average driver does not know exactly how to handle something so absurd.

read about this here:
topgear.com/car-news/supercar/2018-nissan-gt-r-heres-what-we-know

But it gets worse than that. Downforce now comes into play. The 86 has no power out of the factory so they see no need for massive downforce on the rear. There is no room to expand on this, even by adding a bigger spoiler.

The NA supra by comparison, comes designed with an aerodynamic body that pushes downforce directly ontop of the wheels (via the "hips").

So in summary, if you had a gun to my head and told me to choose, i would choose a NA supra every fucking time, because while that's a car kinda lacking in power, it's a better platform and STILL comes with more torque.

What's sad is the older car's base model is better.

We're supposed to be moving forward with tech, but the 86 is just a laughing stock because it's a backwards step.

And as you stated, it goes deeper than the lack of power. It's a lack of POTENTIAL.

Chassis dyno pulls are no indication of a good tune.
The dynos they run will 100% have inadequate cooling for 600hp.
If they can load up the engine and run the power curve over 5 minutes, then go from peak rpm full throttle and lug the engine back to idle with the dyno over 5 minutes without the engine shitting itself Id consider it a safe tune.

A 10 sec dyno run doesn't allow enough heat to build in the engine, which is why so many cars blow up after they get tunes from shitty shops that don't know what they're doing.