Hi, Veeky Forums

Hi, Veeky Forums.

I daily drive a 1994 Honda Civic LX, 1.5L I4 (D15B7 engine).

I live in California and with smog in mind, what all can I realistically do to improve the performance of the car?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=Gn0pnRhGlSo
youtube.com/watch?v=i8W9Mdgaf1A
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emission_standard#United_States_of_America
twitter.com/AnonBabble

Leave it alone. There is nothing worth doing for it that would perceptively improve it.

Yikes. Alright there is no way to sugar coat this. If you want to make this thing fast you are going to need to lose all your dignity. Strip out the headliner, the dash, the rear seats, the carpet, the a/c, and the power steering ( if it even fucking has it).

Next you're going to have to pull off some really weird frankenstein shit where you put a sohc vtec head on your engine and use d16z6 pistons for increased compression. Buy a piggyback ecu tuner secondhand off craigslist and set it to a questionably safe air/fuel ratio. With all this you will be making a cool 140 hp and accelerating in 7.3 seconds away from the sonic meet because you heard cops were coming.

If you want to go legal you are fucked. You can save up a few grand and drop a b18 in your car from wrecked integra. That's about it. You could get a nice integra engine and have a pretty fun car but that's stretching it.

Ebay turbo kit
Sell the turbo and buy a smaller precision/garrett
Get it tuned with a 3 bar map at 10-12 psi
Keep stock exhaust.
When it comes time to get inspected, take off the tarbo+header, put the stock one back on and slap a k&n on the turbo intake outlet pipe
Cop a stock civic ecu
Throw that in there
Get it smogged and inspected
Go home and put the tarbo+ecu back in

The only thing worth while to do to this car and stay within smog limits is a motor swap. K20's are pretty popular.

>If you want to make this thing fast you are going to need to lose all your dignity. Strip out the headliner, the dash, the rear seats, the carpet, the a/c, and the power steering ( if it even fucking has it).
don't do this OP. It makes the car undrivable in tge land of daily drivers

>If you want to go legal you are fucked. You can save up a few grand and drop a b18 in your car from wrecked integra. That's about it. You could get a nice integra engine and have a pretty fun car but that's stretching it.

Do this though. it's the best bet of staying legal. And make sure it's a USDM engine. The JDM shit never passes California emissions.

>because you heard cops were coming.

Thats funny.

performance as in racing or performance as in running nicely?

if the former, bet a B-series motor swap, turbo, tune it, etc.

if the latter, new sparkplugs, wires, cap & rotor. maybe a cleaner like seafoam to clean out carbon from the cylinders if you don't change the oil very often, high in miles, or use cheap-ass gas. maybe change out the fuel filter / fuel pressure regulator if it's super old. change out your transmission fluid if it's automatic(easiest fucking thing in the world on hondas, just need a long-handled 3/8" drive ratchet) with the correct fluid, buy a quart or two extra and use it to flush it out more of the old fluid with the plug out. manuals i believe you can do something similar only with gear oil or whatever it takes (if it takes anything). bleed the brakes and/or clutch occasionally to get air and shit brake fluid out of the lines, along with making sure the bleeders don't get seized.

i could go on but whatever.

Just kinda, ya know, don't try to make your shitbox fast.

It's a gas friendly daily that won't be any faster unless you drop 10k into it.

And that's not an exaggeration.

>live in Cali
>drive a D15 Civic
>want to go fast

Don't know how to tell you other than your state sucks for what you want to do l, meaning if you try and swap any other engine that isn't a D15 they will fine your ass to oblivion because it's not the stock engine, the only engine swap I could see them maybe not flipping out about would be the JDM D15B3 with the 3 stage VTEC, it's a SOHC that puts out about the same power as the D16Z6, and it responds very well to boost, the only problem would be parts because it was JDM only and some parts are specific to the engine so you can't swap all parts off a USDM D15

>California
>The home of fast as fuck civics
>your state sucks for what you want to do

Never take Veeky Forums seriously user.

youtube.com/watch?v=Gn0pnRhGlSo

>if you try and swap any other engine that isn't a D15 they will fine your ass to oblivion because it's not the stock engine

true, but you could get it BAR ref'd and not get fined. the process is a little bit of a pain in the but usually worth it if you're serious about driving a swapped out shitbox on the street.

>A B16 costs 10k

Even a twincam ZC motor would be noticalbley faster than a d15 and cost less than 10k

B16A cost like $1500 though, and that's with the transmission

>referencing fast and furious as fact
You're a fucking retard, and don't live in California so what thebfuck would you know about it? See

That's why I suggested the JDM D15 VTEC, if he swapped it yet kept the stock D15 valve cover he could pass

I'm not referencing fast and furious I am referencing real life.

Have you not heard of all the places like Jerry Built racing that build insane hondas in california.

You obviously didn't watch the video.

After referencing fast and furious, why would I watch your stupid video? There's a thing in California called CARB, and they swing a big ass fucking hammer, and if you don't have the engine that came in the car when it was purchased then you have to jump through hoops to even be considered to pass and there's no guarantee that you will, get your head out of your ass and study something other than YouTube to get your facts straight

All I know is that califonia is the fast honda capital of the world... So there is ways people manage.
youtube.com/watch?v=i8W9Mdgaf1A

Honestly though are you even old enough to post here?

Probably older than you

That video proves nothing other than its a fast EG Hatch, you never get a good look at the plate so for all we know it could be registered in another state, it doesn't prove shit other than they race Honda's in cali

Im 26, I doubt it.

Honestly though OP, if you want to actually know go ask on honda tech, and don't listen to the retaraded advice people on here will tell you.

I'm 33, and i seriously doubt you're 26, and sorry but not everyone is retarded on here, he can go to Honda tech and they'll tell him the same exact thing

OP just don't modify it. It's a goddamn civic.

>not everyone is retarded on here

Confirmed for not being 33 and lying.

Go to Honda tech OP.

Also this post shows you don't know how green text works.

>not 33
OK, believe what you want
But some people here aren't retarded, autistic yes, but not all are retarded babby's fwurst twoll types

Also, for those in denial of CARB
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Emission_standard#United_States_of_America

So basically restoring lost horsepower?

Jag fuel injectors, PN 1X43-AB

you sound like someone i know hello friend

it has 70 horspower remove the engine and put a b series in it. i live in california too sell it to me

you can swap to any honda engine that is newer than your car and doesn't come from a "light duty truck" aka big bore J swaps. Also it must retain all OBD1/2 functionality of the donor engine along with all emissions equipment (cat, secondary o2, etc). JDM engines will pass emissions with USDM smog parts equipped and USDM ecu.

Used to work for CARB. They have an entire division of enforcement staff and a team of lawyers that will royally rape anyone up the ass with sand for lube if they catch you doing stuff that's illegal. They usually only go after shops and manufacturers of parts, but have been known to go after individuals too. And you can bet your last dollar they cruise YouTube looking for hooners bragging about illegal shit they've modified on their cars and writing down license plates.

>gutting a sedan

my civic hatch was not any faster without the interior. it just made it worse to be in

I just cleaned all the interior panels from the inside out and painted the hatch area then reinstalled the interior

>70 horsepower
>d15b7

its 102 hp.

my D15b6 is 62 hp. i know what SLOW hondas are

OK op... here's want you do... pay ATTENTION!!! Trade it in for a faster car!!! ***Poof*** no sense of dumping money into that csr. Just going to be a money pit.

Oh no? Lol

This is a man who knows what he is talking about.

This is a man who is lying on the internet.

Yeah, maybe about 1 post out of 50 here isn't retarded.

With sand...

you can just do a B swap, it's possible to do it california legal.

>Don't know how to tell you other than your state sucks for what you want to do l, meaning if you try and swap any other engine that isn't a D15 they will fine your ass to oblivion because it's not the stock engine
It's california legal to swap engines, as long as the engine is CARB legal, and at least as new as the old one.

doubt it, JDM stuff doesn't have EGR, and it can be a pain to retrofit.

swap in a 2.2 vtec from a honda accord make good sleeper

only VTEC-E models (d15z1, d16y5) have egr. all others worth swapping do not have egr systems.

> what is front-heavy with torque steer

-kswap
-boost
-both

otherwise dont waste your time putting on shitty egay bolt-ons for butt-dyno power

He could swap a F20B in there and get the same power

Yeah, the person you are replying to is just an idiot.

Gonna need to do a swap. Friend of mine has the same exact civic and put a non v-tec jdm B20B motor in it and the difference was crazy

crv counts as a truck engine so not legal in cali

B20 internals in B18 block?

For what purpose? Just get a F20B