NASCAR

Ask a guy that's worked in NASCAR several years as an engineer anything!

Doing this because I'm bored and would like to spread more knowledge about it!

Do you like fondling manbutts?

Yeah, okay, like NASCAR would allow that.

will non-pushrods ever be introduced?

What kind of engineering did you do? Suspension?

Were the engineers in separate teams for different parts of the car, or did everybody work on everything.

What team did you work for? How did you get started in it? What exactly did you do? Favourite aspect of nascar

Probably not.

NASCAR is pretty open with teams and such discussions. Sadly, most teams that build engines are pretty reluctant to change from 50+ years of development. It would be a huge risk to start developing new engines and, to be honest, the balance between all the different manufacturers is pretty damn close. "If it ain't broke, don't fix it."

how do you like like racing in the rain? oh thats right nascar doesnt because they are pussies do you have any tracks that arent oval of course not

I did a little bit of everything to start, but I mostly ended up doing chassis design, interior components, and a couple of other bits here and there.
I also have experience with working with the sim and how that all goes together.

This really depends on the teams.
The team I originally worked for had it split up in
1) Design
2) QC
3) Race Engineers
4) RnD
5) Sim/VD

Others bunch 'em up and let them do a little of everything.

I mostly worked for Waltrip, and I've moved on since they shut down. I'd rather not say who I'm working for now.

I started off doing Formula SAE in school. A couple of cup teams like to cruise around the competitions and pick people up.

I did component design on the formula team as well as building a kinematic sim, a lap sim, and a couple of other things.

My favorite aspect of NASCAR is actually the engineering side of it. There's tons of RnD that goes into making those turds go fast.

>obvious troll
i mean, they will run in the rain on the 2 whole road courses they go to

>banked oval
>slick tires
>190+mph
>inches apart
Even if they slowed down and used rain tires they would wear the tread so fast they would have to pit every few laps
7/10 made me reply

Can you explain why the camber is like this? Its the Daytona winning car for those that don't know. Also that track is steep as shit in the corners

google v8 supercars australia. more fun than any nascar race

You know NASCAR has road courses as well, right?

Why are you still using steel wheels?

When you put camber in a tire, it naturally wants to turn into the direction it's leaning. Since they only turn left, you camber them both in the same direction and the car will want to turn left by itself.

More technically:
Cambering a tire creates a lateral force called "camber thrust"
If you camber the tires the same direction (one positive and the other negative) the camber thrust generates a force going into the corner

Because we have to.
NASCAR decided this either because it's "safer" or it's "cheaper"

How some teams adjust camber on rear end housings.

Heat that bad boy up and crank on it with a jack.

Is there anything special about the wheels or are they the same as steel wheels you get for street applications?

A rear speedway rotor.
IIRC that's only about 1" of usable rotor.

How do you make the cars turn left so good

Nothing really that special. Most people use Max Papis Inc. steering wheels.

>Pic related

Official rules.

The same principles are used for NASCAR that are used for all other race cars. Setup the car so it gets the most possible force out of each tire.

Usually the biggest factors are getting ride height right and getting the balance right. Obviously, there are several ways to get the balance right, but mess with your ride height, and vice versa.

This is why all Cup teams have some sort of lap sim or kinematic sim to get those parameters.

Chassis in the process of getting a body hung on it. They use the NASCAR template to attach the roof, decklid, and hood. They then build down from that.

Most of the little tubes (stobs) are temporary and are removed once the car is built.

Shock/Spring Room

How much FEA work is done?

This also depends on the race team.

Smaller teams can't afford FEA or a dedicated engineer to run FEA on things such as the entire suspension or chassis.

I was lucky at Waltrip. We had a dedicated guy doing FEA and it was cool some of the stuff he analyzed. He did entire cars based on different suspension setups.

We then did correlation studies to confirm the results.

The rules get pretty specific about how some parts can be designed, and a good part of teams just end up buying components from other teams/manufacturers.

He's talking about the wheels that tires attach to.

how does it feel to be stupid as shit op?

wow, i need to learn how to read.
same thing still applies, though

NASCAR likes to have everything overbuilt and "safe" so teams that don't have a huge engineering staff can be semi-competitive

NASCAR thinks big heavy steel wheels will be harder to break due to the loads and cheaper to make because
>steel

:(

Also, there probably isn't much difference between the "street" version of Aero wheels and the performance tires. Those fuckers almost weigh 30 lbs.

This Also Aussie V8 doesn't run the same steep banks that NASCAR does. They may have some turns with steep banking but not continuous banking. Runing 100+mph on 30 degree banking is very dangerous even on rain tires

Not that guy but a big appeal of Clipsal is that it's not a race track at all. They just close of part of the road. Doesn't sound like a big deal on paper but the surfaces are pretty garbage too.

I'm usually not interested but it was pissing down this year and was amusing to watch the cars try to get around in the rain. Solid effort from the drivers.

I imagine a NASCAR is much harder to drive that a V8 Supercar though. At least they're using SMGs and things like that.

pic of rule for wheels

I'm not trying to say one is harder than the other. I'm just trying to show him why NASCAR can race oval tracks in the rain.
The tracks may not look steep on tv but 30 degrees of banking is a lot, the rain would be like a waterfall running down.
Those cars have a hard time staying steady with warm tires on a hot track.

Yeah I know they're very different overall, mainly pointing out that the cars used for V8 Supercars seem to be much more advanced than what's used in NASCAR (making the NASCAR harder to control) so it's silly to compare them directly.

Nice pictures