/shmupg/ - Shmup General

This general is for discussing all shmups/stgs (shoot 'em ups/shooting type games).

Previous thread: Need something to play? Check this shit out: mega.nz/#!mlwG3ZCJ!NMdWxNY4pjqc1vFGwzyPIbtGor0GHObcfENNMgOQW1s

Join us on Steam! steamcommunity.com/groups/shmupg

>RECENT RELEASES:

Mecha Ritz Steel Rondo
store.steampowered.com/app/463070

Ke-Tsu-No-Ana
store.steampowered.com/app/472830

RefRain
store.steampowered.com/app/435970/

Shmups Skill Test
store.steampowered.com/app/430290/

WITCH-BOT MEGLILO:
store.steampowered.com/app/437020/

>UPCOMING RELEASES:

Blue Revolver
bluerevolvergame.com/

Xydonia
indiedb.com/games/xydonia

iMalice
amamoriya.gozaru.jp/imalice/

DoDonPachi Daifukkatsu
cave.degicagames.com/

>Don't forget to vote!
steamcommunity.com/sharedfiles/filedetails/?id=660224194

Other links
STG stream aggregator: stgrillz.appspot.com/

/shmupg/ high-score list:
docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1K0DesawgMQiFNMv2MZxxwdjzBudCIMMb3BkjQJaHjxI/edit?usp=sharing

/Shmupg/ community YT channel:
youtube.com/channel/UCp2e9X5tR9BLdSlIGjzftDA

Other urls found in this thread:

mediafire.com/?6dbctvcd8o94ck6
store.steampowered.com/app/377860/
youtube.com/watch?v=jdRGj34LniA
twitter.com/AnonBabble

First for fish

I was playing Raiden 4 and noticed the boss was harder, but finally beat him anyway.
Then I noticed, it was harder because I wasn't bombing.
The bomb was inside me all this time!

cee vs kraut battle to the death when?

>watching creepy/unnerving/unsolved mystery Youtube videos in the middle of the night

I-I'm not scared, I just... am worried the thread will die if I go to sleep yet, s-so I figured I should stay up a little while longer and keep an eye on things...

I could hook you up with numbers station recordings.

I think cee retired sadly.

These videos are always full of fake shit anyway. It's mostly cheap clickbait.

Why? He was gitting gud at Ketsui.

Krautbladder would lose because it takes him 500+ hours to get a decent score.

Why do you have things like that! More creepy-cute girls though.

Wasn't there just a fight last thread about that? I think he was insisting otherwise.

A lot of them may be, but others (I'm assuming) aren't. The disappearance of Lars Mittank, the Max Headroom incident, for example, or the numbers station recordings mentioned above.

Hell even the ones that are fake can still be rather unnerving, like I Feel Fantastic and The Wyoming Incident. Maybe I'm just shaken easily...

what a anime thread

So anyways, CCWI seemed pretty cool. Really flashy, maybe too flashy. I'm assuming that your eyes just get used to it after a while? Because there were several times when I could hardly see anything through all the explosions, items, and stuff flashing and flying everywhere.

I look forward to trying it again. That Mushi Maniac clear I haven't gotten yet is still nagging on my mind though, and there's also that GoMa event that I have to grind out this week too...

>I'm assuming that your eyes just get used to it after a while?
The bullets and enemies are visible enough, it's just a matter of practice to not get distracted by the other stuff.

Only time where things really become invisible is when entering break mode, then you often can't see what is going on right in front of you, but therefor you also completely annihilate everything in front of you.

Why are they so perfect?

wtf i hate cave now

why did I think that reading icycalm's blog would be a good idea

Wtf I hate irem now

I think I won't be able to play today ;_;

for anyone who hasn't yet seen this essay:

>ON WHY SCORING SUCKS AND THOSE WHO DEFEND IT ARE ASPIES

mediafire.com/?6dbctvcd8o94ck6

don't worry about pirating it, it's morally justifiable

like i'm going to read a wall of text from some scrub
sum that shit up nigga

every modern shmup must be played exactly once, for survival only, otherwise you will ruin it with your unnatural autistic scoring which is totally unimmersive and chiefly done by aspies that are missign the POINT, and a lot of discourse on how certain real sports are better than gaming in any form + certain other real sports

it ends with a call to make a shmup that wouldn't have scoring but would be still difficult. Impossible Spell Card?

>must be played exactly once
* 1cc'd exactly once, also no credit feeding ever.

There is absolutely no way someone published this.

Real sports are full of cheating PED using losers. It would be like everyone playing shmups on MAME and submitting savestated, slowed down, pieced together replays on hacked emulators and trying to pass them off as legit.

Video games are far more fair and competitive than any """"real""""" sport. :^)

> It is the naturalness in lkaruga's mechanics, the
elegance, the beauty, to which the crowd is responding, and which
far outstrips such convoluted and aesthetically absurd piece-of-shit
scoring systems as those found in stuff llke Baftle Garegga or Mushihime-sama.
He does have a point with tjis though. Many scoring systems are really just fucking weird and arbitrary, but games like Ikaruga managed to make it somewhat feel more natural. Simple but effective, that's how scoring systems should be imo.

there's literally nothing natural about trying to carefully shoot 3 enemies at a time in a shooting game.

That's true, but this is also the only unnatural part about the scoring system in it, and it's kept very simple. Everything else in it fits perfectly to the in-game world of the game.

I think that's the best part about it. It is almost a throwback to when the shooting in shooting games was important. Now they're really dodging games more then ever.

I agree. Ikaruga is actually very similar to games like Space Invaders, where you also had to aim precisely and often careful fish out enemies for higher score.

t. adderall user

>nothing natural about trying to carefully shoot
>in a shooting game
hmmmm... really makes you think...

People seem to think the more bullets you shoot the more the game is about shooting, while aiming is what shooting games really are about. This is probably also the reason why Clover_TAC doesn't see shmups as shooting games, but more like puzzl games, because they are mostly just about finding out the right dodging patterns.

Trying to play Crimzon Clover makes me bored, so I can say TAC and I never clicked in that regard. At least it only cost me 2 bucks on sale.

>I'm assuming that your eyes just get used to it after a while?
They do.

Crimzon Clover actually has some really nice *shooting* mechanic though. There you also have to carefully use your lock-on, which is also a form of aiming.

Or also finding out the perfect moments to enter break mode. This is also comparable to good aiming.

Yes, I was led to try it out for similar reasons. Well, I didn't refund it, so the fateful day may yet come.

>Are you seriously trying to tell me that scoring mechanics are the only way to increase a game's difficulty? - never mind the bestl
The guy really is a bit stupid. Of course scoring mechanics make the game more difficult than anything other, because if there were no scoring mechanics, everyone would just end up at the same place on the leaderboard after clearing the game. That's why scoring mechanics needed. To add another challenge for those who want more than just a clear.

>tfw can't copy deathsmiles superplay scoring routes bc I can't do the lock shot trick to get extra skulls

just blame the input lag

>Why? He was gitting gud at Ketsui.
Not really, i was gitting gud at guwange blue and now i've hit 49 mill i'm taking a break. Ketsui wise i'm dicking around with traps 1.7 arrange mode. It's good to take a break sometimes.

I may be greening a blog but I'm not a lil bitch

>tfw you'll never be a superplayer because of all this damn input lag

>i'm dicking around with traps
explains a lot really

Explain bananamatic's name and his obsession with niggers, or as he's like to say, "niggas", which is in fact what they use to refer to each other

Traps are methodical masterpieces.

The irony about this whole garbage is that he calls people who play for score autistic aspies "who waste their time and energy", but at the same time he basically wants that EVERYONE who plays shmups must play like these "asspies" in order to even finish a game.

If shmups would require superplay skills in order to even clear them, then shmups would have died a long time ago.

reading into icycalm's narcissistic drivel is a form of masochism, just don't do it

He does have some good ideas though. I for example agree with him, that stuff like loops, extra lives, or hidden bees, etc are silly. Shmups should be as immersive as possible, but they still should have a scoring system, because not everyone wants to play like SWY when playing a game.

>following a popular shmup player on twitter
>check his old tweets
>he's talking about how he uses crutches like bombs, savestates and/or autoshot
>unfollow and block

where is your image?

Wan't he got told to not post it?

didn't stop him so far

I'm sure everyone already owns this, but just in case: store.steampowered.com/app/377860/

thinking about buying 1.5 myself is it worth 2.50?

google mushihimesama hi2u and get it for free including 1.5.

it's kind of like that, he somehow uses these good ideas to construct actual drivel, which annoyed me enough to stop reading

not my style

>GoMa's newest gacha is called "Loli Summer"
>doesn't have bikini Casper

How even?

Unfortunately I can't really give much advice on doing that. Alls I can say is that Follett probably has the hardest time doing that trick because she has a short-ranged projectile (I confirmed to myself last night that the flamethrower on her familiar DOES count as a projectile to do this trick with) that does a ton of damage.

My only advice would be that, on the offchance you're trying to do it with Follett, maybe try practicing it with a different shot type first until you get comfortable with how to do it. The timing on Follett's seems a bit more strict.

play on mame

just

>using autofire
You deserved it

Guys I want to fuck Rosa.

Don't fuck desusmiles, fuck 2hus.

rip user's run, did you just forget about the doors or was this your first time getting that far?

You were basically home free on the last one, you only died because you were flailing around.

All these different Gradius versions... It's like the game has been rehashed a bazillion times.

I beat gradius in childhood, but every time forget about the doors, yes.

is this what darius burst is like?

youtube.com/watch?v=jdRGj34LniA

Fuck that shit

I somehow play like crap today. I don't know why. Yesterday I was doing so good.

IRL rank

Shooting isn't important in any shmup. If you want to actually aim, go play FPS.

nice meme

This desu, it is only practical for STGs to specialize into bullet dodging when other genres have much more shooting going on than shmups can deliver.

Do shmup players like tongue twisters? They require memorization and perfect execution.

Your loss consumer slave.

When I was a NEET, I spake as a NEET, I understood as a NEET, I thought as a NEET: but when I became a man, I put away NEET things.

Why?

I sometimes can't tell if people are being serious when they say things like this. Having an aimable shot/option (like in pic related) or having to stay underneath the boss for more damage adds depth to the game.

Slavery implies getting nothing in return. If you pay for a product and then get it, that is not slavery.

I want to hug reco-chan

Well from some of the follet plays I've watched it doesn't seem like they use that trick as often as the other characters

Oh. Now that you mention it, probably not. The weaker enemies would probably die before Follett could even switch over to lock-on. Which character would you want to use though, out of curiosity?

Well rn im just trying to 1cc arcade with all the chars just cuz, already did it with Rosa and windia
If I was gonna score I would use either follet or windia but scoring in DS would mean learning to fight dinosatan rather than just bomb spamming him

Oh, okay.

Well, now's as good a time as any for me to do this one Deathsmiles scoring writeup that I never did way back when. This one is no sort of tricky technique, but simply survival! Survival of the highest caliber in Deathsmiles.

First, a quick refresher on how the item counters work. When you collect items, the item counter in the corner rises from 0 up to 1000. After it reaches 1000, the game continues to keep track of a separate counter in the background called the Overall Counter. The Overall Counter starts when the regular counter hits 1000, and it goes from 0 up to 10,000. The Overall Counter can be seen as the "+[number]" that briefly appears when you collect an item while your regular counter is full or you are in Power Up mode. When the Overall Counter reaches 10,000, you'll see a brief orange "+10,000" next to every point item you collect, indicating that every point item you grab is now worth 10,000 point each.

The advantage of Power Up is that it drastically increases the amount which items add to your Overall Counter, allowing you to max out at 10,000 relatively quickly for big scoring opportunities. However, the Overall Counter does still accumulate even when you're not in Power Up mode and just sitting at 1000 on the normal counter.

Now, if you sit at 1000 on the normal counter and continue to collect point items, you will eventually (though MUCH slower than in Power Up mode) max out the Overall Counter and receive a +10,000 bonus for every point item collected, with no time limit! It's essentially like a perpetual power up mode in terms of the score bonus at that point.

The downsides are as follows: One, it takes a hell of a lot longer to max out the Overall Counter without Power Up mode, and in many scenarios it's much less worth it than just using Power Up wisely to gain a lot of points in a short amount of time. Two, if you get hit (for a full lifebar of damage, half of one is okay) or use Power Up mode at any time, you'll lose the Overall Counter (immediately in the case of getting hit, or at the end of Power Up in the case of powering up).

This method of filling the Overall Counter without Power Up mode is frequently used by high level players during the Canyon stage and final Hades Castle. This is because each suicide bullet that is cancelled by your familiar counts as +1 point item to the counter/Overall Counter. With the massive amount of suicide bullets present in the Canyon/Level 3 Hades Castle, it becomes more worth it to simply accumulate an Overall Counter without powering up, and then having the perpetual +10,000 bonus. At this point, every point item grabbed and every single suicide bullet (!!!) cancelled will grant +10,000 points.

And again, the downside to this technique is that it means having to play through all of Canyon and Hades Castle without powering up or getting hit at all, lest you lose your Overall Counter. But if you can manage that, you'll be rolling in points!

To put it basically:

1. Max the item counter out at 1000
2. Do NOT Power Up
3. Continue collecting point items/cancelling suicide bullets until the Overall Counter maxes out at 10,000
4. Do not get hit or power up and you'll receive the +10,000 bonus for every point item/suicide bullet cancelled for the rest of the game, or until you get hit.
5. This strategy is best utilized with the Canyon and Hades Castle level 3 suicide bullets. The downside being that it's really hard to survive that entire time without getting hit or using power up.

is this a methodical masterpiece?

>busty
>sexy
>into kinky stuff like femdom

High score Casper run when?

>busty
Yes.
>sexy
Yes.
>into kinky stuff like femdom
Maybe or maybe not. She hasn't really demonstrated anything like that besides the way she dresses.

No idea. I've been looking around the internet and it looks like the highest western Casper score I can find is a 298m non-canyon run. I think I can beat that, and in doing so perhaps I would become the best Casper player in the west? Ah well, it won't be easy. I do have some places I can improve my route, but I still have to do a lot of tinkering with it to find out what really works. 300m is a definite possibility at this point, though!

Added these to the compilation. Here it is.

crimzon clover is objectively the best game to play when your friends come over and you want to impress them

What about Strikers 1945.

tfw no friends

tfw no crimzon clover

Post yfw that furshit game got funded