Can we agree that the history of the vikings is interesting even though they tend to be romanticized and overrated as...

Can we agree that the history of the vikings is interesting even though they tend to be romanticized and overrated as warriors in folklore/popular media? They were marauding pirates who attacked previously-defenseless monasteries, but they were other things as well. They:

>Traveled to far lands in uniquely-designed ships
>Settled in many of the places they traveled to, such as the Danelaw and Ireland
>Were influenced by the places they settled and formed unique cultures, like in Normandy
>Traded with distant peoples, such as Arabs and Greeks
>Worked as mercenaries for the Byzantines
>Were among the last Europeans to practice Germanic paganism
>Had a peculiar system of beliefs that involved rune stones and boat burials
>Influenced the development of England and other places dramatically (such as by giving rise to the Normans)

That's all substantially more interesting to me than the whole raiding part of the viking image.

Other urls found in this thread:

en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus'_people
reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/4v0qzw/does_the_reputation_of_vikings_as_fierce_warriors/
en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_mission
twitter.com/AnonBabble

>taking the bait

>be viking
>HURR I KILLED A MONK I'M SUCH LE BERSERKIR
>OH FUG OLAF THE ARMY IS COMING BETTER RUN AWAY :DD

in 2100 they will romanticize niggers too mark my words

Friendly reminder that the vikings were just a small subset of the scandinavian tribes, and were traders first, raiders second.

>Charlemagne wuz a good boi he dindu nuffin

We already do if gangsta rap is any indication.

Yes i agree. Hollywood and 12 year old retards overestimate vikings and overblow them way too much, and i always hate that. It's the reason why i can't stand stephen seagul movies. Like that terrible show vikings, a single norse warrior in that movie is the fucking terminator. It's an army of terminators.

On the other hand contrarians on 4hcan overblow it in the other direction, they make it like vikings were the dumbest most incompetent useless weak retards the world has ever seen. And obviously this is not true, they really were powerful warriors, they founded normandy and conquered England and Sicily, they founded Rus and crushed the khazar empire, they served as elite warriors of the eastern roman emperor. They really were great warriors.

>conquered England
>Normans
>Vikings

This is why people hate Vikingboos.

>Rus
>vikings

> Their nature, origin and identity are much in dispute.
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Rus'_people

also even if the viking theory is true it states only the ruling class were vikings so the Slavs still did most of the work not to mention after few generations they assimilated just like they did in Normandy

>waaahhh they attacked Christians

Look into the history of what Christians did to pagans for centuries prior to that. It was a retaliation similar to the crusades.

That's cool and all but killing unarmed fucking farmers was hardly heroic.

confirm/deny: the type of neckbeard who used to fetishize vikings has moved onto being a byzaboo LARPer instead

Veeky Forums and /pol/ christcucks are not the same thing. Most of us don't have to compensate for worshipping a literal faggot like on a stick. Judas stuck it in Jesuss hairy Hebrew asshole

Yeah burning people alive or kidnapping king's sons for ransom forcing them to convert was hardly heroic either.

Farmers were burning people alive?

People who forced your Jewish religion down people's throats were.

And they were related to english farmers?

Dude gr8 warriors lmao
>except they got r3kt majority of times they went against any warriors
dude le pagans
>that's why Sweyn Forkbeard built churches, vikings totally hated christianity and that's why they targeted monasteries not because they simply were easy targets
>muh discovering of America
discovering something and not telling anyone is such an achievement

their ships were good though

go write your homework or something, kid, this is a grownup board

Lad the Great Heathen Army almost destroyed England.

I say this as an Anglo-Saxobaboo, that they were not weak when actually formed as armies. Vikings were not armies, they were small raiding parties.

>almost

and I'm almost impressed

reddit.com/r/AskHistorians/comments/4v0qzw/does_the_reputation_of_vikings_as_fierce_warriors/

I'm 99% sure this is you or one of the 2 other fags here who hate vikings

Daily reminder that most Germanics converted due to the efforts of Anglo-Saxon missionaries like Boniface (Wynfrith) and Willibrord.

en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anglo-Saxon_mission

>being so paranoid about reputation of your meme warriors you had to google it

lmao

I read /r/AskHistorians daily, I saw it when it was posted

>the Vikingboo is also a redditor

of course

>it's a "the autistic anti-viking" episode

Get a life dude

>Dumbfuck doesn't know about the Great Heathen Army

Alfred was greater apparently.

Duh

You can see the transition as years go by

>Arrogant fedora
>Edgy vikingbroo
>Crusadeer LARP
>Byzanboo

Then I guess Cnut was the greatest

>only two (2) successors

kek

We have to predict the next trend and invest heavily in it.

My bet is on either Objectivist 1950s Americana or Hindubooism.

4000 wasn't enough

I've been thinking about spinning Confucianism as some sort of superior ideology on /pol/ soon

Crusader LARPing started when a very dedicated shitposter posted it every 6 months nonstop during the last election

Did you know that the first romans was ruled by kings who was vikings. Tarquinius superbus the last viking king of rome was overthrown by the latins who ruled rome for a couple of centuries. Until sulla the great viking general overthrew the latins and exterminated them in the social war. Now vikings was running rome again and a latin wasnt seen in the region again until it was sacked by alaric and the latins eventually killed or sent the black vikings to scandinavia . Julius caesar was a black viking.

>Julius Caesar was a black viking
>vikings were kings of Rome till Latins overthrow them
>black vikings in general
Wew, you're throwing a lot of chum into the water there mate. How about I help.
Adolf Hitler comes from a same line as the great Jewish warrior Beowulf, who was also the greatest black man in Denmark.

It's b8 dude it's some new copypasta about the Irish ruling Iberia and what not

I know it's bait, thus the >Wew, you're throwing a lot of chum into the water there mate. How about I help.

Holy shit greentext, what the fuck. Fuck it, you get the idea.

You have to go back.