/edfg/ - Earth Defense Force General

>go here for weapons list, english version is in dropdown at top and button at bottom switches table to show availability by level and difficulty
weapon.edf.jpn.com/4-1/?p=r

>EDF 4.1 is out on Steam now! Sweet playable framerates even when the entire screen is filled with enemies. If you missed the sale you're already square.
store.steampowered.com/agecheck/app/410320/

>Discord
discord.gg/Zf4dKwC

Previous Thread:

Other urls found in this thread:

steamcommunity.com/id/crosscalibre/
twitter.com/SFWRedditVideos

Which class has the most dakka?

Some say Fencer, but Wing Diver's Thunder Bows are basically a block-wide electric bug zapper.

Dual flame revolvers on a fencer.

I want some FencerxPaleWing rule 34.

stockings (arms & legs)
jet pack looks cooler

Is it me or are the old Pale Wing/Ranger costumes designed to look like toku soldier outfits?

To save our mother Earth from any alien attack

>install SSE
>put EDF on it
>go to multiplayer
>refreshing.... forever

What am I doing wrong? can someone post their SSE settings or something?

>time to farm crimson with wing diver
>laser chainsaw level 20
>thunderbow level 20
>hardest
>the first wave simply breaks against my gunfire

That was pretty cool.

Good luck with the black ants :^)

All I wanna do is zap bugs with anons

What's a good setup for Fencer?

I can't seem to find a good combination of weapons that works. I always get fucked or wind up being slow as fuck.

>I can't seem to find a good combination of weapons that works
You have to change your setup every mission, I always keep a Reflector/Jackhammer as my primary set though.

O-okay guess I won't play then ;_;

why not just upload your ini for us to review instead of asking the other way around and waiting on your ass?

How can a game decide to show up on my monitor, but not on the TV when the displays are duplicated? I just wanna be comfy.

I'm not a pirate, but maybe the region stuff is causing this?

I'm from southern yuro and I'm playing with a chinese guy.

So, you tell me.

>City of horrors
>no one brings lock on weapons
>i need drops for air raider
>but no air support
k i l l m e

There is no one good setup, except for the rule of generally always having one melee weapon in one set for the dash. Spears for general purposes, Vulcan Hammers for destroying tight groups and big enemies, Force weapons if for some reason you don't want to just bring a gun. Avoid Hakens (scythes) and Rollers. Jackhammers and flashing spears require you to be stationary so use at least a medium shield, unfortunately with these you must also cancel out of a dash first if you want to instantly activate the attack or else you have to wait out a short delay every time.

In the other hand, you can have these for dash cancelling:
1. Shield for reflecting projectiles at the same time, which will probably happen a lot if you're using dash to run away.
2. Hand cannon series, which allows for cancels at a decent speed and gives you a ranged option alongside the melee weapon. Alternate your use of these weapons to keep going for quite a while, blasthole spears or spine drivers synergize with this loadout.
3. Standard or dual Javelin catapult which are the best for speed because you only need to hold down the fire button, but is otherwise almost useless as weapons since only one is equipped.
4. Gallic cannon if you want to shell a boss from afar but just need some speed and a defensive weapon.

Your second set really could be anything because there are situations that call for different weapons. Generally when playing solo or with randoms in MP you want to avoid the slow lockon missiles because they need an Air Raider to help. Double Galleon cannons make for decent anti-air because you can run at normal speed and it also works at anti-bug in the big open maps. Dual light mortars (especially the higher level ones) are fantastic for shelling groups of enemies or one big guy and have very little recoil compared to Gallics or Hand Cannons. And finally the typical dual gatling loadout should be reserved for tunnels because of the low turn speed.

>using melee to cancel
>not reflect
What?

>Jackhammers require you to be stationary
WROOOONNNG!!

If you use a spear during a dash you'll be somewhat better off than waiting for the normal dash recovery, plus you'll be killing something. The cannon is the one to use when traveling but the low ammo count means it will have very low endurance compared to a shield or the catapults. Lose some win some.

After doing a dash, you have to stop first before being able to fire the Jackhammer. You can't do it while sliding after doing a dash like with weapons such as the Blasthole Spear. You can walk while firing the Jackhammer, but it's much slower and less safe than sliding. I've played late game Fencer on 2025 and I'll say that the Jackhammer quickly loses its effectiveness on Inferno because you just don't get enough speed to stay alive. And you can't kill hordes of enemies quickly enough with it either because it doesn't penetrate through enemies like the spear weapons do and your shots get blocked by corpses often. Also, the range sucks. Dual-wielding it would make it a great weapon for dealing damage quickly, like for taking out single, high priority targets such as tunnel exits and hectors at close range, but that's it, and maybe there are better loadouts for that. You can no longer use it as a bread and butter weapon on Inferno. Hell, I already have trouble using it on Hard against dragons.

This guy knows what's up.
2025 vets already know Blasthole + Shield is the most efficient loadout for Fencer.

Why wasn't there and EDF thread 6 months ago? Are there really that many secondaries now?

So is there an option I'm not finding to disable my mic? Can't even find a push-to-talk option. Can't talk to my freinds while I play this shit because all the guys in the lobby can hear me calling them faggots.

PC version came out recently.

Yeah, secondaries.

I only cancelled the dash with the shield. Didn't know you could do it with a weapon.

Jackhammer for life anyway.

Good question. Why didn't YOU make any threads 6 months ago, huh, Mr Secondary?

Lemme go look real quicksies...

you can:
>disable chat when creating a room
>mute other people

you can not just mute yourself or any other iteration blah blah blah it's fucking shit.

I'm in Mission 50 and I feel like Ranger and Wing Diver are top tier right now to clean waves of aliens.

Where Fencer (The class I most like right now) can't be effective with the slow weapons and worse in where the enemy is all airships.

Reading this I'm doomed to use dash-cancels and bring shield/offhand to fend off the aliens?

Hey, does the flashing spear penetrate enemies, at least in 4.1 and not 2025? It would explain why it's statistically inferior in almost every way to the jackhammer series. Either way both of them are ideal for very tight tunnels and nowhere else. I just wish the higher level spine drivers got a rate of fire boost or less reload time because the range variance on the blasthole spears really throw me off.

And seriously fuck Hakens and Rollers. Who thought it would be a good idea for a weapon to hit behind the player at its most powerful charge? Who thought that the Roller was totally OP and really needed a 10 second charge time?

Can't you just disable your microphone through the windows control panel whenever you play the game?

I think he means he doesn't want to talk to the pubshits and still be able to talk to his friends while playing.

Just disable in game chat and use Steam chat bro.

If you have enough firepower and distance to kill all the aliens before they get to you then you don't need to dash. The problem is that the game rarely gives you those scenarios. Also, if you have a set of weapons for destroying things at a distance you don't need another set, so why not take a dash set even if just for traveling?

Otherwise your only other option are Galleons since they don't slow your movement down when firing. The shotguns suck for this role because their stats and practical utility are just so poor overall.

>City of Horrors
>bring lock on weapon
>every time I fire it a, dragon swoops right above me and I blow myself up

man fuck mission 11, drones have such tiny fucking hitboxes

Lead your shots.

Drones are huge. And this game has some of the most accurate hitboxes I've seen in a game.

This open a new world for me, I can travel fast and blast some holes.

Shame I can't go dual Gatling and beign effective.

That's because they aren't boxes at all. They conform to the actual model itself.

I've been trying my best but these fuckers are fast
guess thats right, but does inferno increase enemy count? when i completed it on hardest it seemed like there were fewer drones, maybe thats where im fucking up

The more I play EDF 4.1 the more impressed I get with the dev team for conforming all of the hitboxes of the enemies and buildings to their individual models.

Except when I'm playing as Fencer and trying not to die, and then in that case fuck the developers for having so many nooks and crannies to get stuck in.

Or when you're trying to kill Hectors with Railguns that WONTFUCKINGELEVATE and your shots keep going between their legs

Correct. The iron mirror shield has the fastest reflect, as well. It's the best for dashing, by far.

Tank based weapons aim seriously slowly. It wouldn't be so bad if they were area of effect like the howitzers are, but railguns really need faster aiming speed.

Does Singleplayer shit count towards your completion rate?

not for multiplayer

Yes, on its own.

I don't see how you can have a problem taking out Hectors with it of all things. They're the slowest moving unit in the game

>iron mirror shield has the fastest reflect
Wouldn't that be the reflector? I've found the timing to be way faster, and the spammability really helps with deflecting too.

I get a hardon each time I lock into a giant horde of enemies
The lock on sound is just too good
That and when the Balam starts up
And literally everything in this game
I think I need help

The classic nip sci fi sound effect that the Vegalta makes when it starts up is fucking great

You're having fun, user.

Enjoy the sensation.

One of my favorite things as well is when I play Air raider and a horde of enemies swarms my vehicle, when I eject I scream BROKEN ARROW into the mic and toss a Plan C bomb strike at my feet, rolling into the safezone as everything around me erupts into chaos

I forget. It's been many months since I played 2025.

Any tips for Mission 87? It seems like if I prioritize trying to take out the ships, I get fucked by the bugs and drones cause the AI can't keep em off, but if I focus on them, it's just endless.

Ever read Glimmer Rats? It suits your picture in more ways than is healthy.

I've been able to aggro only one transport ship at a time. If there is a deroy or hector below close to it, then that gets aggro'd too, so do any of the flying vehicles close by, but it's manageable. I've been able to take out the transport ship in the middle first, then the one on the right, then left, then the last one in the back of the map. You definitely will want to leave the quadruped fortress for last. One gameplay video I've seen has the player going to a corner of the map and thinning out some of the outlying flying vehicles first. If the flying vehicles are far enough, then it won't aggro the bugs and other enemies in the group.

I was able to beat it! Switching to a good missile launcher and focusing on the flying drones definitely helped, those are the much more dangerous in numbers than just the insects. I was actually using a rocket launcher too, and accidently pissed off the fortress half-way through, but thankfully I was able to keep my distance.

Man, this game gets grim as fuck once the Eartheaters show up. Everybody's dead, most of the world's population is destroyed, and the EDF can't keep a foothold anywhere.

I haven't but I'll stop by a secondhand store and see if I can pick up a copy

The internet is a thing you know.

Any steam group or whatever that actually plays games? Pubs suck most of the time.

What I did is taking out the RED ANT ship first because how annoying those fuckers get with their grabs, it was the first to your right if I recall right. After that I rushed to the leftmost farthest hector/deroy/ship and start working from there up to the quadruped, ignoring the last 1 or 2 transports on the other side of the map, also don't forget to kill drones as you go or they will swarm you.
This was definitively the hardest mission in the game for me.

so what's the downside to the laser chainsaw? even if I'm only hitting with one beam that's still 20 per tick which is way better than most of the other LAZR weapons. plus it has the same reload times, range and rate of fire so I feel like I have to be missing something if it's only a level 25 gun

I like books, and I don't remember books I read online

>need to spam homing weapons on tons of enemies but the lock on is super slow

There are a lot of missions that the number of enemies changes by difficulty but on mission 11 there are always 204 drones.

>leading a squad towards a horde of spiders
>another squad goes down in the distance
>FOR THE FALLEN
>chorus of OOOOOOOOOOH! and EDF! Just as the bullets and corpses start flying
No other game gets as hype as edf

>Then all your squad and the other squad dies because they have theyr hands glued to the sides

>Or they like to enter in your LoF while firing

Because they have tiny little noodle legs and when you're close to them you have to basically aim at those? Combine that with the turret apparently being hand cranked and it can be pretty frustrating

Do the air raider's stationary weapons ever get good? I want to feel like I'm really tearing up a horde like that one scene in Aliens where the sentries are blazing xenos in the tunnels

I could see them working on a choke point in an underground mission, but...

they're not really worth the slot most the time.

The upper-tier Z guns are pretty good. I used them for grinding the later missions.
I use the Z guns to stall a swarm, so I have my Vegalta before they get to me.
They kill plenty of bugs on Inferno, if that's what you're wondering.

>Finally beat the game

Holy fuck that was awesome. Now I need to play through it with the other classes.

I feel they would be a lot better if the reload time on them started once the first gun was deployed
Having sub par damage and a long wait between makes it not so good but if you could lay them down like no tomorrow they would be viable

How do you beat 38 as Ranger? There's just an unending stream of enemies and infinitely respawning tunnel exits, i can never get to them before getting swarmed.

damn these sales are great, I think it sold more than it did on ps4 in the US

>44k copies sold
Bretty gud, hopefully they see the market and make more stuff

I wanna mate with the giant insects!

that confirms the other EDF games and other D3 games I guess

>get a boner when a Retiarius snares you
This is why I keep getting molested.

I think I used a shotgun or grenade launcher to clear out groups of enemies, and then the Fusion Blaster to take out the exits as quickly as possible.

You could also try using grenades on them, if you want to risk blowing everything in 20m into space.

Reviewers gave EDF a lot of shit for having no/cheesefest story, but honestly they did a better job than a lot of games. The story is unobtrusive and told entirely in game, over the top and so delightfully grim it's crazy. You're just a soldier, not the chosen one or anything, caught in a war that is rapidly going south and there's really not a fucking thing you can do about it aside from keep killing the enemy and dealing with the ever escalating piles of shit that are falling on your head.

Without even looking at their sales I can guarantee this is doing shit loads better than the Vita ports of which there were two. We're getting those I'm sure eventually.

are they really good? what is the difference between those and 4.1? you still shoot bugs in the city right?

They're ports of the PS2 and 360 EDFs with more missions, the Pale Wing class, and multiplayer ( I think autosave as well).

They're very similar to 4.1 except with different missions and less of them overall. They'd be great to have purely for variety though.

I just hope they don't take this as "let's port all our old games" and get everyone bored of EDF.
I'd much rather they take the "we have lots of money let's do something fucking awesome" route

>gave it shit for having a cheesefest story
But its cheesefest story is the whole point. It's all the different types of cheesy 50s sci fi rolled into one. You've got your giant insects, you've got your alien invasions, you've got your kaiju vs giant robots. It's fucking great.

I literally cannot get any pubs to join by squad to deal with mission 93. What am I doing wrong and what can I do instead.

I have friends that play EDF, but they're shitters who can't do anything yet.

Most of them probably can't handle it. What difficulty are you on?

Don't get me wrong they should definitely wait bit, but if they released these ports in a year or two it could tide us over till the actual new EDF game.

I'm only doing Hard, man. I just want to get this middle ground out of the way since it's the hardest of the "purely for completion grinding" difficulties.

But what if they just DLC on the side for this game while making the new EDF game? They have the money and new audience to sustain a new stride

steamcommunity.com/id/crosscalibre/

Invite me in