Which transmission

Do you drive manual or automatic transmission? Why? What did you learn first?

Manual, drove automatics all my life until 2 years ago.

I've always wanted to learn, so my last car I purchased I just had the dealer teach me in the parking lot and around the block.

Now I can't go back. Every time I get in an auto, I feel like I have no control. I get annoyed when an auto shifts too early, or doesn't downshift immediately when I need to overtake someone.

Manual is simply more fun to drive. Modern CVTs out-perform manual in acceleration, but it doesn't feel very nice.

Manual, to both questions

>why
they are simpler, more robust, allow more control, no annoying nanny lockout stuff like new cars have, and mostly it's because thats what my car has so why change it.

I learned on manual and every vehicle I've ever owned has been a manual. I just love the feeling of pressing the clutch and selecting the gear I want for what I'm about to do. I've always felt so out of control and unhappy anytime I had to drive someone else's automatic vehicle. I know that modern auto's can be faster and more fuel efficient than manuals, but at what cost? To me it is such a fundamental part of driving that taking away the physical input required by a manual takes away the joy of driving.

but how many cars with CVTs are actually fast?

Auto first, to learn basic road shit then I switched to manual
Manual lets me pick from more cars when I want a new one so thats why i learnt it

Not many, but what does that have to do with the price of rice in China?

For example, apparently the new Civic CVT on the 1.5L engine is beating last gen's Civic Si on a straightaway. That 1.5 pulls about 200hp.

I'm not sure if there is a similar comparison for 350+ horsepower engines.

Drive an auto right now, but itching to get a manual weekend car, I first learned to drive stick in a Suzuki Samurai at 11 years old

>that thread which is made every week which always evolves into a shitposting argument without fail

good show OP can't wait till this is at 200+ posts

Just wondering about the theory vs practice of it.

I've never cared for stick shift cars. They just aren't my thing.

I've driven a few manuals in the past and I don't like how long it takes to engage the gear and get moving. I like to zip around and move when I want to move.

With manual you have to re-engage 1st gear every time you stop. And that probably takes me a good 3-5 seconds. With auto you just step on it and you're gone.

You can also tell when you're behind somebody with a manual car because in the time it takes them to engage the gear and start accelerating, everybody in front of them is already gone. And every time you want to upshift you have to let off the gas, clutch in, shift, and re-engage the next gear, causing you to slow down and possibly disrupt traffic behind you. Not to mention trying to start on hills and whatnot.

Manuals just seem so antiquated in my opinion. They feel slower and less responsive compared to modern-day automatics. I don't really understand the fascination behind them, automatics take only a fraction of a second to upshift whereas a manual takes like 2-4 seconds to upshift (depending on experience or skill level, of course).

Even though you have more "control" over which gear you want to be in, it takes longer to shift and engage the gear than it would in an automatic. Most modern automatics are also pretty intuitive and are able to sense what you're trying to do depending on throttle input and the speed at which the throttle is applied.

Whenever people talk about how much they enjoy manual, I don't understand why. In my opinion, it's kind of a pain in the ass how you have to do all that work to get moving and the guy next to you in the automatic is already gone. Like, why would you row a boat when you could get one with a motor on the back for the same price.

What makes a manual car enjoyable? Maybe some people also think it makes them look "tough", or like they are a professional driver, but speaking from my experience manuals seem like a big pain in the ass.

That's not true. Dual clutch and conventional autos are faster to 60 but manual is faster than cvt.

Have you driven a modern manual car, or older ones?

I have a pretty short shifter in my car (a 2015) and I can get it into gear in the blink of an eye. Shifts aren't even noticeable and are just as fast as most automatics.

I switched to manual on a whim pretty much, and even after a year of daily driving mine, I still find it immensely satisfying. Getting a heel-toe downshift just right is lovely.

OP here. I have been trying to learn manual transmission for 6 months now and I still can't make simple tasks, like shifting gears or finding that sweet spot when decompressing the clutch, into muscle memory. At the same time I try to focus on the road and try not to miss any signs that can change the traffic dramatically. I believe that focus on shifting gears and playing with the clutch should be only 33% of your attention while focusing on the road and obeying the law should be 66%. Sure, a lot of people don't notice when they're driving shift stick but also a lot of people just cannot learn. Maybe it's easier to learn when you're in a rural area but I believe that driving automatic is better in city conditions.

To be honest, it's just too much effort to drive stick and keep traffic stable at the same time. Some people are capable of this, some aren't. Just like ball games, swimming or welding.

What kind of trans does your car have? t56?

Learned manual.
Drove manual.
Will drive manual until they're not available anymore.
It just feels weird to not have to change gears.

Please stop posting this shitty copypasta.

Every time you post it, 9 retards respond with:
>3-5 seconds to get to first
>2-4 seconds to shift

Spot the dumb american

I just get my driver license a month ago in EU learning to drive manuals, is there really an advantage more than the "fun" of using manuals? start in a hill is a pain for my and take care of the gears is pretty anoying also my car stalls almost every time i go out with, probably in the future i will get used to it but for now i don't know why i should use a manual.

I can drive both but currently automatic.

I work at a gravel pit, so all day I'm driving tons of manual vehicles.

Manual vehicles I drive:
> semi w/ water tanker on the back
> backhoe
> loader (pic related)
> bulldozer mostly a d9 but there are a few others

So at the end of the day I just don't feel like it, want to get home an relax. I might pick up a weekend project and that will be manual though. Think the last manual car I owned was maybe 5 years ago.

learned on my dad's NC miata. now driving Saturn Ion Redline. It has the F35 trans found it manual saabs and is pretty good nice solid short throws

Manual.
I drive shitboxes and thus wanted auto but no one here buys AT cars so I had no choice.
By the time I can afford a fun car for actual manual "experience" (instead of tiredness as it is now) they will all be forced autos.
fml

i have both.. i learned auto first

you're full of shit

pic related and the d9 have hydraulic transmissions

All day on a bulldozer you're using your feet, it's not a manual per se but it's tiring none the less.

The loader and backhoe have buttons clutches and 4 gears, but again you're using your hands all day for the bucket controls.

The semi has 6 gears, clutch, then you flip a switch on the stick which gives you your high gears. So for example 2nd becomes 7th.

I'll try to keep my posts a bit more autistic for the "special" posters here.

you've posted this in at least three threads, do you not get bored of this shit?

I drive manual for the sole purpose of my mother has this parasitic tendency to borrow other people's cars when hers breaks. But she can't drive stick, she can barely drive auto. I can't wait to put the worthless bitch in a home.

Automatic on my DD shitbox because traffic.
Learned on manual because it's best transmission.
Manual on all fun cars.

both, my DD is manual and my project it's auto. On my DD because auto it's a luxury option here on Chile and I got the cheapest car possible (2016 Suzuki Alto 800) I learned on manual 2 years ago (I'm 30 by now) and I hated every aspect of it. When I got my project car (1984 Toyota Cressida) good old hydraulic automatic trans was a pleasure to drive and this year because of work I had to buy the cheapest modern DD available, and of course cheap=manual here

this is bait just because one reason: modern computerized autos are slower and dumber shit compared to good old hydraulic ones

>my automatic 4x4 is manual because it has gears and buttons

is how stupid you sound

I learned how to drive with a 60s car with no synchros and my daily now is a manual 78 one

and a steering wheel

steering wheel is manual

I drive both because I own multiple vehicles. There's nothing to "learn" when driving a manual you just have to practice a little coordination.

>tfw never driven automatic transmission cars

In time.

>that 1.5 pulls about 200HP
It's 174 HP I drive those new turbo civics every day

Damn my whole family drives stick
>mom owns 1998 bmw 323ic 5 speed
>sister drives acura rsx type S 6 speed
>brother drives a 2016 Hyundai elantra 6 speed
>other brother drives 1993 acura integra 5 speed
>dad drives Toyota Tacoma 5 speed
>I drive 2015 Honda civic 5 speed.

90% of the cars my mom owned were manual transmission she drove stick my whole life all throughout middle school highschool and until I left on my own

>what u drive?
both.
>why
both have their strengths
>what did you learn first?
manual