Does anyone on Veeky Forums use Acorns?

Does anyone on Veeky Forums use Acorns?

>acorns.com/

Redpill me plz. Also general investing thread.

Other urls found in this thread:

time.com/money/3938695/index-exchange-traded-funds-mutual-fund-difference/
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

Pretty good I've been using it for a few months now. up until last friday and tuesday I was making pretty consistent gains with there aggressive market portfolio, but my profits have been getting walloped the last couple days. still in the positive overall though. Your extra change from debit/credit can add up pretty good over time, as long as you can avoid the temptation to withdraw from it. Pretty cool little app imo.

Also use my referral code 4F8WJE if you decide to download the app. help a fellow user make $5

Would like to know more about this as well.

What are its fees like?

Its a great app. I was never very good at saving money, but acorns has enabled me to put spare cash away and invest it a diversified portfolio. There are 5 portfolio options, from conservative to aggressive. Highly recommend it

So would this benefit someone who already invests in his own stocks? How does it work it takes change left over from purchases? What if i buy everything on my credit card?

Don't use this app. First of all it is clear from the thread that it is being shilled here. Second it's a very shitty product because they make it seem like you won't have any "fees" if you have at least 15$ in the account or whatever but they do not tell you the money management cut they take out on your investments profits.
You're better off investing money on your own instead of giving some executives and their employees a cut.

It seems to be good for normies who don't want to invest a couple of hours a week to learn elementary finance.
For anyone who uses this board I don't see why you wouldn't just download RH and buy an index like SPY. I bet the returns are higher.

Lol what? That's not an index robinhood only offers stock

>that's not an index
>SPY seeks to provide investment results that, before expenses, correspond generally to the price and yield performance of the S&P 500 Index
>definition of index fund

I have a feeling he meant index fund. using context clues.
You can absolutely trade etf's on robinhood.

Great post mate.

Okay like I said that's not an index fund it's an ETF.

Not sure what you're getting at?

With low interest rates, I don't have much of an incentive leaving my money in the bank. I use the acorns account as my savings account.
It rounds up your card purchases to the nearest dollar. Once $5 has accumulated from roundings it will then transfer across to acorns.

My current investment portfolio

I was going to use it simply because you can't buy stocks with 15 cents and don't have 3 grand right now to get in on an index fund.

1 dollar a month.

=Unintended savings

>moderately aggressive
>australian government bonds

I get it's only 3%, but why at all? just seems stupid to even have any in there.

It is an index fund. Index funds can be etfs.

Got, use it, more for the novelty than the useful function.

Whacked a few hundred in it and already made a loss. Given a long enough time frame it could make a few dollars, but as said above, no more than you would investing in your own shares etc.

Yeah its minimal, taking a more conservative portfolio would increase the govt bonds. Its a good alternative to investing in a diversified portfolio. Personally i don't have the coin to buy index + bond +... to diversify myself. Its a bit gimmicky, but also a good way to enter the market stock market.

Agree w/ being a novelty. Its a good starting point though wouldn't you agree

So then what is the difference between an etf and an index fund?

Unintended savings that can gain interest. Lets be real if you set it aside and forget about it you can come back every few months withdraw your account and invest it in whatever you want

time.com/money/3938695/index-exchange-traded-funds-mutual-fund-difference/

I've actually read that before lol. What I dont understand is a an index fund is composed of all the stocks in a particular index like all the blue chip companies. So an etf your buying equity in an index fund? Instead of buying into the whole index and thus owning a piece of all the companies on that index?

You don't understand the basics of investing but are giving out advice and mocking one of the posters who gave good info.

Retard.

I never gave advice or mocked anybody retard.

Sad thing is I prob know more than you

>Lol what? That's not an index robinhood only offers stock

>Unintended savings that can gain interest. Lets be real if you set it aside and forget about it you can come back every few months withdraw your account and invest it in whatever you want
>I never gave advice or mocked anybody retard.
>Sad thing is I prob know more than you
.....lol

No advice given

Can't prove anything I said was wrong

Keep going

Kek

>Unintended savings that can gain interest. Lets be real if you set it aside and forget about it you can come back every few months withdraw your account and invest it in whatever you want

ad·vice
ədˈvīs
noun
guidance or recommendations concerning prudent future action.

>Can't prove anything I said was wrong

Except for:

>That's not an index [fund]
>robinhood only offers stock

This is on the most aggressive investments. Until last week, I was positive between 1-2%

The uptrend is due to my regular deposits, obviously

That's not advice, advice would be "you guys should really use acorn to use spare change to gain interest and invest in other stocks"

Index funds and ETFs are different, and robinhood doesn't offer index funds. Pic related

Are you finished or are you done?

Holy shit, I've never seen so many real shills before

You are misunderstanding that pic.

No one can invest in an index. And index is a benchmark, NOT an investment vehicle.

The concept of an index fund is very simple. A fund that tracks an index, either an exchange traded fund or a mutual fund. Ergo all index tracking funds on the NYSE are ETF, but not all ETFs are index tracking.

If you were correct it would not be possible to buy any of the following with robinhood:

SPY
VTI
VOO
IVV

I can literally list hundreds of index funds across all sectors that are fully tradable on robinhood.

>Redpill me plz. Also general investing thread.
Acorns is a waste of time IMO. I would suggest choosing a fixed amount or percentage of income to invest per week/month/whatever.

I like the idea of using something like betterment but if you really want to be more hands on you do the same thing through Robinhood.

*you can

Then what does the ETF contain. It's not a company. A mutual fund has equity in all the stocks in a certain index.

Generally speaking, an ETF could conceivably contain anything.

The Index funds in question(SPY, VTI, VOO) contain equities that correlate to the underlying index. Same as it's mutual fund equivalent. Practically speaking they are almost the same thing, the biggest difference being intraday liquidity with exchange traded funds.

So SPY owns equity in all of the companies in it's index? So when you buy a share of SPY you are buying equity in a fund that owns equity of all those companies?

Yes.

"As a UIT, SPY must fully replicate its index (it probably would anyway) and forego the small risk and reward of securities lending."

I'm starting this now hoping the economy will have a substantial correction. Maybe I can get in a lot of these ETFs cheap now

Which plan does Veeky Forums think would be the best for long term? Conservative, moderate, or aggressive or somewhere in between?

So then what would happen if everyone started selling their shares of SPY? Wouldn't that crash the stock even though the index it's tracking is still making gains?

Selling SPY is selling shares of it's holdings.

Short term pricing of it's holdings does not necessarily more in the same direction as SPY.

For example, at one point this week AAPL was up but SPY was down.

It's a shit scam. The only way you'll make any money is if you have enough money in your account to exceed $1 per month return because of their $1 fee.

You'll have to invest a lot considering how low returns are

It probably doesn't take much to get 1$ return per month. I plan on dropping 200$ a month in here.

Is that because even though AAPL was up, there was enough companies down to lower the percentage of the entire index?

I don't understand how you can buy equity in a fund that owns all equity, or I'm just retarded. I have been reading for 8 hours straight.

Yes exactly.

Go to the site for whatever ETF you're interested in and take a look at the holdings and the weighting.

Fees are $15/yr (ie. $1.25/month) when your balance is under $5k. Over that, its a fraction (think 0.25% of balance/yr).
The fee structure means you need to have more than $300 in to be successful, since fees are $15/yr.
I lost around 4.x% 2 days ago when the ASX shat it's pants over fears og the US raising interest rates

It's for lazy people who don't like money.

Lol.
Every fucking time. They can't even be bothered to use a different pic.
It's like they told the shills "You must use the company icon, it's free advertising!"

"Don't save what is left after spending. Spend what is left after saving"