Manual Transmissions are Obsolete

Unless you are driving recklessly, or driving professionally, there is no reason to own a car with a manual transmission in 2016.

Defend your precious manual transmission without these tropes:

>It's cheaper
Not usually anymore; supply and demand has made manuals harder to find, and often they are the same price (North America)

>It's faster
It's not really faster

>I like the feeling
That's an opinion and not based on facts

For cheap-o shitboxes (which is pretty much what most of Veeky Forums can afford) manuals are more reliable and make you believe your 120 hp shitbox is "fun".

For any decent car, a modern automatic or DCT is better.

Viper ACR

The fact is that I like it, nothing more nothing less.
WHERE IS YOUR GOD NOW

>Not usually anymore
got $1000 off my 2014 from selecting manual

>It's not really faster
Yes it is. Disregarding the fact that slushboxes rob HP, Manual allows you to powerband without fighting a computer that thinks in terms of fuel efficiency.

Just don't know how to drive stick or something? Why are you always making these threads?

>I like the feeling
>That's an opinion and not based on facts

And a car is a luxury, meaning I can be opinionated in what I like to drive. Why do people get so butthurt about people who like different things than them?

why are you trying to stop people from driving stickshift cars?

does people driving stickshift cars hurt yours or anyone else's feelings?

>I like the feeling

That's a fact.

Literally anytime someone posts something about an automatic car on Veeky Forums stickfags jump their ass, so don't go playing the victim card here

>driving recklessly
all day every day faggot.
now go and try to convince yourself that your cvt slushbox is the same as a Porsche dct

damn, never before have i seen an OP get this rekt

I'm not the victim. I just said I like it, and that is a fact.
What did you want now?

>dct
>manual
fucking lel

oh it's not at all, but all the autotragic cucks always argue that "modern autos are faster than any manual" then ignore that dcts are nowhere near the realm of a normal automatic transmission. regular autos and cvts are what's in the realm of most common folk, and unless you get a 911, you aren't getting a transmission faster than a stick on a fucking versa or whatever these cucks drive

>Not usually anymore
go look at any dealership or online custom car builder, 9/10 times it's cheaper to option a manual.

>It's not really faster
conventional automatics and cvt's are on average are slower to accelerate than their manual counterpart.

OP is trying to annoy you. leave him alone and hell go back to /b/

Compare the acceleration times between an automatic toyobaru and a manual one
Manual is superior

fuck the transmission

just give me something with a fucking mechanical throttle

>slam gas pedal down
>nothing happens for three seconds

fuck that

/thread

Salty nonshifters are the only thing worse than "im racekar" manualfags. The only people who care about what other people drive are spergs.

>>It's cheaper
>Not usually anymore; supply and demand has made manuals harder to find, and often they are the same price (North America)
Have you not tried to price a shitbox lately? I'm on the market for an auto shitbox and it's almost always a markup, like 5%ish on most of the cars.

Well, i mean your last point is kinda moot. Considering that people buy cars because they like how they feel.

I learned how to drive standard in highschool and I haven't looked back since. I genuinely just like to be able to pick my gear. Also, you can do the 1-2-5 for less fuel consumption and stuff like that.

Also, anti theft.

Regardless, it's a matter of opinion and personal feel when buying a car.

This thread now belongs to me.

>anti theft
>won't randomly change gears when going up/downhill
>doesn't need """special transmission fluid"""
>idiots cannot drive & ruin your car
>car will still be operable if something breaks (won't be left stranded)
>it's DEFINITELY cheaper to repair & service

semi trucks still use it

Alright I'm falling for the bait, sorry Veeky Forums

They're cheaper to repair/work on.

They're safer. They make you actually pay attention to the road ahead of you. It's also hard to text+shift for the idiots.

It's an anti-theft system in the U.S., since most can't drive stick.

People will never ask to borrow your car, because they literally can't drive it.

>there is no reason to own a car with a manual transmission in 2016
>without these "tropes"
>I like the feeling

So I can't choose something because I like it, regardless of why? What a moronic question.

>Reverse to the right on shifter

Alright I can understand if you're driving a right-hand car, but there's NO excuse for doing this on a left-hand car.

(OP)
Why do I need to defend my manual?

Anyways, I'm a mechanic and know from experience I'd rather deal with a simple manual than an automatic. My other car uses an ECVT and those things are super reliable. Automatics I just like to avoid altogether. DCTs are good for the performance and ECVTs are good for a reliable transmission and those mpgs.

???????

>logically, one should buy an automatic in 2016

yes, OP you are correct

but since when do people make logical decisions over having fun?

why do you think the miata, corvette, and mustang still sell well despite the crossover boom there's going on right now?

People will buy what they like, regardless if its a logical decision or not.

Fucking this

>I like the feeling
>That's an opinion and not based on facts

NO PREFERENCES OR OPINIONS ALLOWED REEEEEEE

All of this. If I'm going to spend allot of money on something I want to have fun with it. I don't want to just push a gas pedal and go. I want to make all the decisions.

I personally like how it is now, but I wish makers focused more on improving the manual transmission instead of phasing it out.

As for now i think its
>car people = manual
>not car people = auto
and that's fine

> wish makers focused more on improving the manual transmission instead of phasing it out.

i think DCT's are an improvement.

Another butthurt auto-apologist that is angry at other people for not liking his slushbox

I'm just going to agree with everything here instead of writing my own post.

OP you don't know shit.

>they're cheaper to repair/work on
They also need more frequent repairs if you're a clutch-destroying spastic like 90% of everyone who's owned a car.

>They're safer. They make you actually pay attention to the road ahead of you. It's also hard to text+shift for the idiots.
Not only is this untrue for people who were going to be safe drivers with any transmission, it's easy as pie to text and drive a manual. It's not as if you're constantly shifting everywhere you go.

>implying the manual stops the computer from thinking in terms of fuel efficiency
I mean it's a little pedantic but if you're running a stop ecu your computer is still thinking in those terms first and vibration second.

I don't need to prove shit to you and I do what I want.

Auto's have a TCU which will always want to be in the highest gear possible.
Manual trans only have an ECU running the engine without a TCU controlling your gearbox.

Don't act like you have any fucking connection with your vehicle ,when the computer tells you how to shift ,how to throttle, how to interact and communicate with supposedly your vehicle.

A Car has a personality that cant be understood by simply pressing buttons like in these modern autobots, IT takes years of hitting that sweet spot in the clutch, when it graps so smoothly.Shifting into that gear at the perfect time and the car rewarding you for it by giving you its best feedback. It's something that you grow to learn with to give eachother information on how you want the to get the most out of eachother, in many ways it is a relationship. One that seems to be under attack everyday by these bean counters trying to fill their pockets.

Depends some have TCU for lock out purposes.

autism

cars are tools to get you from A to B, nothing more, nothing less

Both sides are fucking idiots.

Everyday someone different comes on to rag about stickshifts

Everyday some different guy comes and complains because some girl he likes or is with fantasized about a guy who drives stick and fucks him.

i've never had an adrenaline rush from a socket wrench

but i have had one from a car

I want to buy a 5 year old mustang 5.0 in manual in a few years. Test drove a manual kia optimia just to try manual and it seems like it would get old DD a manual but I'll probably get used to it.
For now I drive a boring 4 cylinder 2011 Mitsubishi Galant and a 01 F150

They are, and there are three types of people in the world.

1. Cares about cars and drives manual for the connection
2. Cares about cars but drives an automatic because maybe he has one arm or lives in the city
3. Doesn't care about cars they are a tool from A to B
>3A knows when to do maintenance, keeps car clean
>3B doesn't do anything and uses inside of car for trash never vacuums.

>It's cheaper
It actually is, in EVERY car I look at it's $1000+cheaper than a manual.

>You can properly control shifts, and fuel economy is rated better typically by around 2 MPG.

>Many cars you can't even get in automatic, nor should you..take the RS for example.

>Far more manly, and a dying art.

>I like the feeling
DUH, everyone does. It's fucking fact dipshit.

>Diving recklessly
Hell fucking yeah, that's the point. Fucking shit up/Hooniganism is a way of life.

>Acceleration is faster due to the control you have as previously stated.

>Anti theft, doesn't need ATF, your stupid friends can't drive it so they'll stop asking you to and start asking you to teach them because you're obviously a god for driving a MT.

>Safer

>Cheaper to fix, better to run, last FAR longer.

Fuck off to /b/ you fucking shill.

Alternatively
>turbo with electronic throttle
>slight pedal movement and suddenly WOT max boost

2 words
>push
>start

You can have push start on a manual...

You cant push start an auto

so is push starting apparently

Just realized what he mean't my bad hahahaha

>>It's cheaper
>Not usually anymore; supply and demand has made manuals harder to find, and often they are the same price (North America)

You're rationalizing a recent purchase, aren't you?

>Thinking USA dictates everything

>It's cheaper
Yes it is

>It's faster
Yes it is

>I like the feeling
This is subjective and is a personal preference just like what color you want to buy.

Automatic= control is a illusion/vehicle is in charge following within its parameters.
Manual= I command my car the fuck to do

>make you believe your 120 hp shitbox is "fun".

This makes you sound like one of those faggots who can't climax unless you're fucking a super model.

>go on an automotive enthusiast board
>shit on manual transmission

Manual:
>Control all facets of vehicle
>Uses 98% of power, unlike auto which uses 85% (Torque Converter Automatics, not Sequentials.)
>More reliable
>Cheaper to service
>Have to be more cautious to drive with, adds awareness
>Gear doesn't work? Skip to the next
>Anti-Theft in Canada/America
>Don't have to wait for throttle input to downshift, just do it yourself

Automatic
>Easier to drive with
>Better economy on newer cars
>More expensive to service, replace
>Anyone can drive automatic
>Automatic sports cars have depreciated value.

I only drive manual because of those reasons. Plus, it's fun as hell. I learned on a 2007 Mazda 6, and I used the tiptronic shifter even before I was a "car guy". I've always wanted to drive stick, and now, it made me a better driver. I've never been in an accident in 4 years.

Now I drive an ACTUAL manual. Not the automatic slapshifting. I will never go back to that lmao

Why do you think that you're important enough for me to have to defend my choice from you?

I take the stance that cars without transmissions are the best. what say you, autotragic peasant?

In any low priced high mileage car the manual trans will far out last an automatic. You may bring up that clutches wear out, but many times a new clutch can be had and put in for much less than a new or rebuilt auto. Manual trans gear oil can also be changed without worry that the trans won't function afterward.

this guy gets it

I'm not a fucking F1 driver. I'm not on a professional rally team. I'm not a getaway driver. I'm not an OTR trucker. I'm not drifting around sand dunes in a military transport. I do not need the objectively most efficient means to go from 0 to 60 in as little time as possible or use as much engine power as possible at all times.

I am an average civillian. I never break 80mph on most days. If I go to the track, it's for fun, with friends. I have things to spend money on besides my car.

The following matter to me:
Cheap repairs (Objective. Fewer, more isolated moving parts = $500 clutch change instead of $1500 rebuilt slushbox. Gear oil is also changed less often than expensive tranny fluid.)
Cheap cars (Objective. Only expensive models with CVTs and DCTs can compete with stick, so if you're buying used, it's stick, stick, stick)
Enjoyable experience (Subjective)

The only reason I'd ever buy an auto is serious hauling on a budget. Torque converters actually improve torque at low RPMs.

I can hypermile better with a manual gearbox because I'm in direct control of when I change the gears and how long I keep in a certain gear. Besides, it's the CURRENT YEAR, so muh feels are perfectly acceptable as another reason why I prefer manual. Because I can afford the freedom of choice and being a decent driver, it satisfies me.

>IN AMERICA
top kek m8, that's cause 99% of people in burgerland are too damn fucking stupid to learn and drive manual. Come here in Germany where everyone drives a manual and wants to drive a manual.

>projecting and strawmanning at the same time

The only reason Manual drivers are so stuck-up is because Manual driving is for intelligent people. It makes sense they pick on stupid unco people. They only ever list pros for manual only to make their argument look like something more than ad hominem.

I drive an auto, I dislike manual elitism, but they're justified, we deserve to be hated by the driving community for our lack of intelligence and co-ordination.

It'll never change, you just have to deal with or kill yourself, I do both by driving excessively recklessly whenever I can in hopes I'll die in my beloved autotragic shitbox.

>Chocolat
Good taste.

Do driving schools in America even teach how to operate a manual car?

Why do you care on people's preferences?

I drive a 2013 manual Hilux and I love driving in it more than my shitty CVT Altima.

you only drive manual because automatics are haram

I'm actually living in bella Italia. people here laugh at automatics drivers.

OP here

Judging by the amount of replies this thread received overnight, obviously Veeky Forums is a little upset. Most of your "points" are emotion fueled opinions. Nine out of ten times, automatic is a better choice for the consumer. Just because Veeky Forums is filled with children and wannabe race car drivers doesn't make you right.

Veeky Forums is an echobox for manual trannies just like /lgbt/ is an echobox for actual trannies

Anyhow, have fun shifting your gears since you jerk off over it. I will let an actual computer do the shifting since I am not a third-world pleb.

>120hp

Jesus we dont wanna go overboard there user

>Americans prefer driving automatic

Also water is wet