QTDDTOT

Questions That Don't Deserve Their Own Threads

>A thread for you to ask or answer questions that are either dumb or sensible.

Previous QTDDTOT -

Other urls found in this thread:

carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Celica-1990/SSE-AD-3985828/?Cr=0
carandclassic.co.uk/car/C740945
toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ctd/5576194316.html
toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/cto/5576535255.html
centercaps.net/2/model_results.php?ddlMake=14&ddlModel=268&ddlYear=1986&getCap=GET CAP
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

what's a good car to wrench on in australia?
I was thinking an old holden v8 with a chevy small block because there are heaps of cheap parts.

made the mistake of buying my first car which was a JDM and only produced in a single year. fucking impossible to find spares.

Rolls-Royce Wraith

re-asking here

Would a bad shifter ball bushing cause enough play for the transmission to not hold 1st gear properly? it goes into 1st fine, even when moving, but unless I hold it, it flops around, and will occasionally pop out of gear if I'm not careful. vehicle is a 91 Hilux, if that matters. I already replaced the rubber seal that sits in the shifter hole, which did eliminate a lot of the shifter slop in general. i noticed that the little flat plastic bushing on the bottom of the shifter would rotate freely on the ball. not sure if it's supposed to do that or not.

>need new radio
>for 2001 Volvo
>buy ISO converter for the car
>doesn't fit

I have never seen cables like the ones coming through the dash. Ofc the antenna cable, but the other ones are big and rectangular, easily twice the size of an ISO connector

Pic related. Have I just bought the wrong cable or l am I completely retarded?

Is it okay to splice two different size fuel pumps into one fuel feed?

Im not sure if the pressure difference at the Y would mess something up?

Falcon Straight 6s are pretty good for what you'd want.

Yeah the negative battery terminal. It didn't seem like a huge amount of corrosion or anything, but I'd tightened it too much and it just kind of turned to dust near the base. The top of it was still intact in the ring that makes contact.

carsales.com.au/private/details/Toyota-Celica-1990/SSE-AD-3985828/?Cr=0

c/n

Thanks man ;)

What is this ''before Veeky Forums after Veeky Forums'' meme? I don't have the picture currently, but there are a lot of cars in the ''after Veeky Forums'' section.

What are those cars? What is this meme about?

There are two, one full of Renault Twingos, and one with Mazda Miata/MX-5s. The Twingo is meme because it's cheapo, pretty basic, and looks kinda cute.

The Miata because it's small 2 seat roadster, it's good handling, rather good looking. But moat of all you can have a open sports car, despite being a poorfag.

And remember, here on Veeky Forums the single moat important aspect of a car is it's price. Pretty much everyone here is poor

Hi there,
I'm new to Veeky Forums, do you guyz have threads about supermotos ?
Or is it just usually melt in the bike threads ?

reply you negr/o/s

Thanks for the explanation, user.

When talking about head units is there a difference between 4x*W and 4x*WRMS?

is it a good idea to stick a Legacy motor in an Outback?

Sometimes when my car is sitting overnight, and the engine is nice and cool, when I start it the engine sounds like it's sucking in air. This is coupled with the fact that when I press the accelerator, it sounds as if it's sucking air through the valve into the engine, and it has been starting to run slightly rough, so I wonder if air is being sucked in where it shouldn't be?

Please help.

My catalytic convert has went into fucked mode, it rattles loudly when I'm idling.

I'm going to get the cat cut off and have it straight piped, but there's a problem, it's a V6.

I really don't want to be "that guy with a straight piped V6" but it's the cheapest way to get rid of the cat. The muffler is staying on

Anyone have an idea on how it'll sound? What other opinions do I have while staying stupidly cheap?

Just recently had my auto trans serviced, then this happens tonight.
>Just left friends home, pulled into the main street
>Check Engine light comes on, drive is lost, engine not responding to accelerator
>Spilling spaghetti as I pull to the side of the road
>Turn car off
>Sit for a few seconds
>Turn car on
>Everything is back in order
Car also has an exhaust leak that I'm fixing this week, but what would cause my car to an hero like this? I've had it for 4 years and the exhaust leak is the most severe problem I've had with it.

>what is vacuum leak

Its most likely a rusted headshield. just get underneath the car, and remove it.

with my experiance,any beaner muffler shop will remove it without issue. just take it with you, its worth like $60

also, without a glassback muffler, your exhaust may sound shitty.

I mean remove the rusted heatshield yourself.
If you want, a beaner shop will remove the cat, and replace it with a straight pipe.

Gonna go look at a 1998 civic ex today 135k miles guys asking 2100, is there anything i should watch out for that isnt already in the sticky? Should i avoid buying from someone that no hablo engles

Hey guys I was checking out some trucks on Craigslist when I ran into a 98 Chevy Silverado. I emailed the person and this is what they responded with. Is it just me or does this seem a bit shady?

unless you can speak Spanish I'd be a little weary buying from someone I don't share a language with. half of buying a car is asking questions and negotiating. idk how that's gonna happen if you don't share a language.

yeah I think that's a scam

Checked hoses, all clear, I probably should have started with that. I'm still trying to figure out what exactly is going on so if anyone can help me it would be greatly appreciated.

Did I fuck up by trying to unscrew my shifting knob without securing the pole-thingy?

Also not Veeky Forums-related but fuck it: Can I simply replace my GTX580 with a 1080? It needs less juice, is there anything I'm missing?

I've got a stuck brake caliper, how do I get this thing off the disc to turn the piston back when the compressed pads are holding it on and I can't decompress them without taking it off?

Do I just need to use a crowbar and go at it?

Alternator belt also snapped 4 months back and I'm starting to get the squealing sound on engine startup again that was happening right before it went, does that mean my timing belt is about to go?

Coworkers keep telling me that red is a color for a woman's car

Is this true? I'd like to get a bright red Lexus but I'd also rather look like a giant homl

What should I look for if I want to buy a Fiat X1/9? Besides rust

I'm importing it to Mexico too.

Recently my car has been having an issue with running rough at idle after cold start (sometimes throwing P0300 (random misfire) codes, sometimes not). This has gotten worse recently with an opening of a new hole in the exhaust. I've seen a ton of shit about what it could be. I have a CAI and catless exhaust, no tune. Any ideas? 2006 Mazdaspeed6

You're a dumb negro

>doesn't want to look like homl
i drive a red truck, and I'm not an homl
I did buy it from an homl tho, he was a nice guy
maybe you should do what you want and not care what others think, pic related

Sometims my car has a hard time going into gear (manual)

Especially 1'st and 3'rd can be problematic

Also, if I go up to high revs in 1'st, say 4500 RPM, it will grind when I try to go into 2'nd gear.

What is wrong?

1999 Octavia 1,8 petrol, same engine as Golf IV

I'm not sticking my penis into that.

Why is my ka idling like piss when I'm thoroughly convinced I have no vacuum leak and the injectors are clean and all the voltages on them and the plugs are totally normal?

congrats, you doing what you want to!

Head gasket

Coolant doesn't look oily though.

How do you not give a fuck about what other people think about your car?

I know it varies depends on how you drive and where you drive. But on average, how long do you think I have until I have to replace my stock dampers on my 08 wrx? I don't know about my previous owner, but I drive my car very softly.

>A: do this
>B: do this but find it somewhere cheaper
>C: do what I can myself and get the other heavy work done
>D: buy a new engine
>E: just keep topping it off with oil and hope nothing goes wrong ever
>F: scrap this

What am I to do Veeky Forums? I keep having shit luck with this stuff. Last car I had before this Subaru had $1500 worth of problems, which is why I got rid of it. Yet this is way more expensive. It's driving me insane.

Oh yeah, forgot an option.

>G:Actually just get this all done myself.

Apparently you can get to the headgaskets without removing the engine in a Subaru. Only if you take everything else apart first.

How long does a solitary year/model of car have before it stops getting manufactured/discontinued? Is it fixed to 1-2 years or does it depend on how popular the particular car is?

Probably not and no.

Toyota/Aisin transmissions are famous for having shifter bushing issues. They allow a ton of slop in the shifter making sloppy shifts and wandering gears almost guaranteed. Also, the plastic bushing on the tip is supposed to rotate freely, that's OK. There are aftermarket kits that solve the bushing issues, if you are interested.

However, the gear is held in by a detent along the shifter rail. Basically, a ball bearing sits on a spring and rides along the fork shaft. At specific points, (namely in gear), the ball falls into a ground out spot givving that 'popping' into gear feeling, and holding the shaft from coming out. See attached image. The balls (2) are e pressed against the shaft (6 and 8) by the spring (1). When it falls into one of the notches on the shaft, you're in gear.

When the spring gets worn out, it takes less and less force for the detent to pop out, until it may not take any force at all. This sounds more like your problem.

Two common symptoms of worn-out detents are popping out of gear during acceleration/deceleration, or just having to hold the gear in all of the time. It usually happens more with high-milage vehicles, or city driven vehicles that shift a lot. You should feel a firm, positive pop when going into gear. Detents are often shared, so 1-2 both should have firm pops. If only one does, then your problem may be elsewhere.

I've never had a case of enough slop in the shifter to cause it to come out of gear, but Its been a long while since I've rebuilt a W56. If memory serves right, the transmission must be taken apart to get to the detents. I don't think it has a shifter tower... By not fixing the detent, you are not causing damage to the transmission, however.

Long air boxes/tubing sometimes do that. I had a Jeep TJ with the 4.0L that the PO put a CAI with a pod filter on it. When you would start it, it would sound like hurricane katrina in a tunnel. After it warmed up and the idle kicked down, it would go away. The tube would just sound like it was 'sucking', as you said. I looked for a vaccum leak even though it ran fine, but it was after I took off the filter and covered the intake with my hand that I found out it was just resonating at that engine rpms.

Have a friend with a 2009 Ford superduty that does it too, but that has a turbo. His would actually whistle.

Unless you're having drivability issues, I wouldn't think twice about it. Check vacuum hoses, especially PCV and brake booster, if you have them. Otherwise, run it til it dies.

Forgot to say. I've been throwing codes for an EGR every now and then. Could that be contributing, or be the root?

My new car has 15 inch wheels stock and the tires are good. Should I wait for the tires to wear out and get 16 or 17 inch wheels with new tires to fit or go ahead and get 15 inch wheels? The main reason I'm changing is because the stock ones look like shit

What's that fwd 90s Nissan that was considered the best handling car of its era?

Does anyone here know dick about the tenth generation Ford F150? Mainly i need to know if the air cleaner box from 98 to 03 for the 3 valve 5.4 is universal for those years or do they change it year to year? Also would a 4.6 air cleaner box fit a 5.4?

im pretty new at car shit
i got a corolla from 03 that im looking to replace the radio
theres radio replacement kits at walmart for like 20 bucks are those good for someone who doesnt know much about cars besides changing the oil?

whats a good radio to replace it with that wont break the bank? i really only need am/fm/aux cable and cd no satellite or anything like that. im guessing i need radios for my specific brand or just size?

Im a newb. I really like the idea behind the lotus carlton. Any other cars woth a similiar body style/sleeper type of car that is available in the US?

If I bought a 4th gen mustang gt. Which supposedly cant turn, and re did most of the suspension, could I have a good hoon machine?

Are the 90s civics fun to drive like my Mazda 3?

Maybe you're thinking of the integra

Yes

Yes

Should I buy a 71 Beetle as my primary mode of transport? It's got suspiciously low miles (27,000, not advertised at all but I checked the MOT history) and a little rust around the rear deck

carandclassic.co.uk/car/C740945

I'm considering something similar. The idea of a relatively minimal, almost wholly mechanical car is getting more appealing as new cars keep getting more bloated.

The fact that there's a hell of a lot of knowledge around about beetles is a bonus as I'm not the most experienced with a wrench.

That's the same idea I have, I'm currently driving a late 90s MG (Rover) which is largely mechanical but still has EFI and such to go wrong. I just really like the idea of a car that I can fix with nothing more than cable ties, duct tape and a screwdriver

So I'm trying to get my distributor out of my 94 Firebird with the LT1, I've gotten the waterpump removed, but and all three bolts to the crankshaft pulley removed but I just can't seem to get the damn pulley off.

I've tried the pulley removers from auto zone but the bolt threads that come with those are too small, and the stock bolts are too thick to fit through the assembly. I also really don't want to get it out of time, so if there's anyway to 'lock' the crankshaft so I don't move it that would be wonderful.

Pic related.

How does it feel driving a Nissan GT-R? I'm getting my first car soon and my parents are gonna buy me a used 2012 model and i wanna know what i'm getting myself into.

get it and remember to shitpost about it here in Veeky Forums

If you like inferior FWD, yes

Anyone know if there's a specific name for the spot light on the A-pillar of a police car? I could have sworn there was a name similar to Gurney flap in that it had someone's name in it.

Should i get myself a tripcode too when i get the car?

Yes

Those crank shaft pullys are a bitch to get off, try to get some heat on it with a torch or something. You're most definitely going to need a pully of some sort, find bolts that fit it if the pully set doesn't have any.

Unity beam post-mount spotlight

wtf is this shit. i took my car in to the dealership for a recall. after hitting here for almost 2 hours fuckhead comes in and tells me the part needs to be ordered

If you still have the muffler on the sound difference won't be that great just a little louder

Red necessarily isn't a feminine color however a Lexus is a woman's car

Fuck off

Just remembered. It was the NX2000.

Unity is a brand. This is not the correct answer.

I have a leak in my flex pipe. Car is loud as fuck now. Do i need to weld a new one on or is there a way to do it without welding?
>pontiac g6

Wait for the tires to wear down. Save money on a wheel/tire combo.

4.6 and 5.4 used the same airbox iirc.

Crutchfield if you want to do it right.

how are these guys

98 and 03 use the same filter. Id bet the airbox didnt change much.

Great site, just make sure youre buying from a high rated seller. And that it meets import requirements.

Opinions on this?

toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/ctd/5576194316.html

and this?

toronto.craigslist.ca/tor/cto/5576535255.html

Thanks.

Alright, so I'm looking for the center caps for a 1986 Lincoln Town Car. The wheels are spokes, and I actually have one of the center caps already, but I'm missing the other three. I'll post pics of the center caps too. Any idea where I should go to look for these things? Already tried eBay and the nearest scrapyard.

1/2

2/2

Caddy looks good, id get a mechanic to look at the audi first though. Actually thats a good idea for any car puchase over a few grand. And run the vins through the vin check thread

random but makes sure the thermostat works good or was replaced, weve had a couple of those come into work and im pretty sure that year you still have to pull the intake to replace the thermostat

Junkyards, but you'll never find them.

$25 each

centercaps.net/2/model_results.php?ddlMake=14&ddlModel=268&ddlYear=1986&getCap=GET CAP

Oh, I forgot to mention. They're only 3 1/2 inches in diameter. The ones sold there are too big, unfortunately.

I found one seller so far all the way in California, for $100 each. But it's shady, so I'm trying to find a better one.

Realize life is too short to spend worrying about trivial bullshit because once you are dead its over. Do you really want to spend the short time you have existing worrying over stupid crap?

>I was checking out some trucks on Craigslist
Get the VIN number and check it out before deciding to show up in person to further inspect it. The name of the seller you can google to verify who they are, their husband's name, where they claim to be living matches the story, and whatever else.

Also read:

The ride with those larger rims and thus lower-profile tires will be both harder and noisier. Low profile also means you don't have curb protection that the larger tires have so you run the risk of rimming the curb. In return, your handling is improved.

When those old impala taxi cabs have one in the same position as the police light, it is called a post-mount spotlight.

Does an engine having a higher output mean it will become damaged easier? So if you take a stock motor and put an aftermarket intake and exhaust on it and improve the WHP, does the engine suffer?