Tesla fucking its customers over?

Tesla fucking its customers over?
Tesla fucking its customers over!

Yes, we fucking have it, right here.

The model S actually had a 75kWh battery for some time now, but it was software locked. However, for a fee off over 3000 $ they will unlock that which they prevent you from using.

You know what teh fun part is?

They brag about it in twitter:
twitter.com/TeslaMotors/status/728630182236413952

Who cares that car is for faggy hipsters who like getting fucked in the arse

I really hope owners take this to whatever consumer rights groups there are in their countries or just straight up sue. This is the sort of bullshit that needs to stop before it becomes the norm.

Let me drop some knowledge on lithium batteries here: if you discharge them too much they go kaput. This was probably a safety measure to prevent that until they fucked around with stuff long enough to make sure that wouldn't be an issue.

>if you discharge them too much they go kaput
Nah, turns out they can be restored, however it's a complex process of refilling.

>This was probably a safety measure to prevent that
IMO it was because they found an improved battery, used it, but didn't want to introduce a new model (S75 or something)

>Not paying 3 grand in DLC for your car
It's like you're not even on Veeky Forums.

So Tesla locks a certain portion so you don't charge it to 100% to further extend the life of the battery

Those fucking monsters !

Sounds like a problem for Tesla customers.

But you get less range and performance until you pay to unlock it.

And the difference to otherwise identical combustion cars with a more powerful turbo tune for more money is which exactly?

This would be more comparable with downloading a bigger fuel tank.

Actually it's more like your car has a 15 gallon fuel tank, but once your tank gets to 5 gallons left in the tank the car shuts off and says it needs gas.

A base Focus doesn't have a de-tuned turbo RS engine, A base Lancer doesn't have a de-tuned EVO engine, etc. Most manufactures have a different engine model for each performance level. You can rarely just "unlock" power with a ICE.

>3000 dollars

Actually it's 250 dollars to unlock the range. It's 3000 dollars for the auto-pilot.

That's done by independent companies, not the car's manufacturer, and at the cost of less longevity. This is far more akin to Tesla fitting a restrictor to the air intake and then charging you 3k to remove it

Except that's the norm with diesel engines.
A lot of diesel cars have different power levels with identical engines, they tune them down for more MPGs or to lower emissions, the difference being exclusively software based.
Some countries have laws that prevent people who just got their licence to drive cars with a power to weight ratio above a certain limit (where I live the limit is 55kw/t for one or two years after getting a licence IIRC), which is another reason why they would sell detuned cars.
There is also the fact that European laws (dunno about Americans) are forcing manufacturers to have an average emission level across the whole lineup below a certain limit, further encouraging the production of detuned engines.

You don't just detune the top level performance engines, which usually make up a very small portion of the total sales of a vehicle, there are loads of other engines to detune in order to sell them to the niches listed above.

>Why build two batteries when you can build one and lock out5kw in one and sell it as another model

(the Model S 70 starts at $71,000) even though they're getting the same physical hardware as the Model S 75, which costs $3,000 more. Paying less because you don't need the extra range is a good thing

Well, some manufacturers do offer larger fuel tanks as an option.

Except that means that people who bought the higher end one are getting screwed. The software alone is not worth an extra 3000 dollars.

And I wouldn't be surprised if its 1 line of code.

>as an option
That's not the same.

>Paying less because you don't need the extra range is a good thing, in Tesla's mind,

and offering a single battery makes things easier from a manufacturing and logistics perspective.

Missed part of the sentence.

>defending a $3000 charge for a software lockout on identical hardware

Just offer the one model ffs.

no.

fucking over your customer is building a diesel engine that cheats emission tests. then later getting caught. Leaving hundreds of thousands of cars out of compliance and at risk of being banned from the street till fixed.

the only real bad thing about this. Is that it costs more to buy that extra 5 kWh later, instead of at initial purchase.

I think Audio has been tinkering with this idea in the past

Like heated seats. The car comes with the hardware for them, but the touch screen control activates only when you pay to unlock it.

Some Mazdas now do the same with sat nav. they come with the hardware for it, but you pay the dealer, they drop in a memory card with maps, and then you can use it.

its stupid for obvious reasons, but it saves manufacturers lots of money and complexity by essentially making identical cars that they no longer have to have different components in.

$3000 to add 5KW, So a 75KW battery costs $45,000 in old 18650 laptop batteries?

Is it really all that different from automakers STILL charging 2-3k for a navigation system?

>charing 2-3k for a navigation system
Well considering its 3000 dollars for the upgraded milages. and another 3000 dollars to get auto-pilot to work.

That's 6000 dollars for features already in the car to be unlocked.

worst thing is you can't get options A la Carte anymore. Everything is part of some bloated package. the only individual things left are dealer installed things like mats and lug nuts.

>And I wouldn't be surprised if its 1 line of code.
FullBatteryUse.AllowOption = True;

Wrong faggot. $3,250 unlocks autopilot AND extended range.

$3k for autopilot
$250 for extended range.

>$250 for 19 more miles,,, Sign me up.

Don't like it, but it's nothing new...

Porsche charges $10K a different ECU program + cam profile, or a different ECU program and 2mm larger turbo... that cost essentially the same to manufacture.

base vw up! comes with detuned engine. Only difference between 60hp an 75hp petrol engines is ecu map.
>tesla is fucking you for 7% of battery capacity
>vag is fucking you for 25% of engine's power
>elon is the bad guy
the truth is, both detuned engine an battery pack will last longer than juiced ones

Can't wait for people to start unlocking it on their own and Tesla to get butthurt about it.

this tbqh

also worst car and most ill informed fanbase of all time but I wouldn't really call them car fans

tons of companies do this
specially for gfx cards
they make a high end card and when 60% of the processors or memory chips dont work they mark it as a way cheaper non flagship model then lock the bios

if you tried to unlock every battery im sure there would be a sizable number of people who will not be able to get the average gains everyone else gets

europoor is only going electric because emissions targets were made that are literally impossible to meet.

even their lawnmowers must be electric because they're not allowed cheap chinese weed whackers.
>2 strokes illegal

you mean
>ICEs banned

>1991 vw polo CL
>giant clock instead of rev counter
>go to scrapyard get gauge cluster from polo GT
>rev counter works, all the wiring was already there
>also mileage is now 100000km less

>day one patch for your car
>car dlc
>it's a feature not a bug!
fucking /v/edditor invasion into the car industry

Haha

Completely different. Nvidia can't control if parts of a chip don't turn out right. Tesla can absolutely control if they put in a good cell into the battery pack.

>you pay 1000 bucks more at the dealership
>they push a button that raises a baffle in the fuel tank that was restricting the 16 gallon tank to 15
Sweet deal.

>not pirating the Extended Battery Range DLC

The Nvidia of the automotive industry.

>4gb advertised
>3.5gb usable
vs
>70kwh advertised
>75kwh usable after a few simple mods

Sounds like the opposite. Intel tried doing this with some of their CPUs in prebuilts, selling "upgrade cards" that were paper cards with a code on then that unlocked more performance.

christ, i had a feeling they'd do something like this eventually
and you better believe everyone else will do something similar now, it's exactly what happened with the game industry

What if I want extended range but not autopilot

>electric cars were the future
>and then tesla limited their market to effeminate "tech geek" (talentless tech consumer/blog-dweller) males that hate driving, as if getting guys off their BRRRRRRRRRRM addiction wasn't worth the effort

Just force people off their BRRRRRRRM addiction, they'll have to eventually.
And then Tesla has the world.

>buy $100,000 car
>pay an additional $5,000 to gain acess to features that are included on the car you already bought
>pay $20,000/yr for Tesla Live so that you can operate your vehicle on public roads with other cara.

So is DLC an acceptable practice for durable goods now?

>tesla fags support car DRM

That's a lot different. This is literally not letting you use the battery in your car to it's full potential, even though you own it. Cars aren't tuned to the max HP from factory because engines last longer if they're not balls to the wall all the time. And also gas mileage.

"it's ok when elon musk does it."
>lololo down with GM and Chevron XDDDDD
>musk will save us from big oil

Damage control in full swing

why this loli is so smug?

Then you just pay the $250.

Intel had DLC with their Pentium chips for awhile. I think it was the G6951 had an unlock code you could buy that would up it like 400mHz.

>as if getting guys off their BRRRRRRRRRRM addiction wasn't worth the effort
in all fairness, enthusiasts are a picky bunch and they don't make up much of total car sales
take over normie cars first

>mfw babbies think this is a new kind of scam

it is how marketing works for a while now.

if you don't believe it, ask mechanics about the 116i and the 118i for example.
ABSOLUTELY SAME FUCKING CAR, only the software has different parameters and the 118 is like 2k more expensive.

wasn't it the 114?

YOU WOULDN'T DOWNLOAD A FUEL TANK

prius charges only to 70% of their battery capacity. also the charging rate is super slow to prolong battery life. Tesla batteries will die in 6 years. enjoy your dead weights poor resale value

More like
>Model = Tesla.S.75kWh

The devil speaks.

I'm open to electric cars, but they're just not appealing in the current affordable categories.
>Low range
Okay, cheap models try to get better range, in the Tesla tiers
>Expensive
$30k for what is essentially a $15k car. By the time you pay $15k in gas (in equivalent mileage, lets be honest) you will need to replace your battery, so you'll be stuck with a pile of junk.

I do love my revs and the emotional connection I can make with ICE, but I'm open to Electric, I won't shut them down. Why are both sides either all for or all against?

I wish I could. I need a 21 gallon fuel tank for a 1995 Nissan D21.

>UPS says it's safe to ship (called and asked)
>boomer Southern US salvage yards won't ship gas tank because "UPS says it's haz-mat"
>tell them I talked to UPS Hazardous Materials department, have a rep name and call number, stating that it's not hazardous
>"I don't care who you talked to, we're not shipping it because it's haz-mat"

God fucking damnit I hate people so much sometimes.

Imagine if car companies offered you a car with the extra weight of a bigger gas tank, but engineered a way of capping how high you can fill it up

People overrate the wear on those batteries. You should consider that there is still a huge number of 1st generation Prius out in the streets. Now consider the advancements in battery tech in the 10-15 years since then.

Tesla is the iphone of cars.
So hated yet so much better than the rest.

not true for the iphone tho

thanks for providing proof
keep hatin

Why don't you go to a pull it yourself yard?

You buy a car with 70kw battery.
Company tells you they no longer make this car.
Your car has 75kw battery. You can unlock to by paying the new price of the car.
Or you can just use your car like you would otherwise with less battery degradation when you charge to 100% cause it's really 92~%
Yea that must really suck...

Good, I'm so happy to see the Tesla fanbase getting shit all over and ripped off. They are the most irritating fanbase since riced hondas became a thing.

>people thought Tesla was based
>people thought Tesla was any different from Google, MS, Facebook, etc that fucks people as hard as they can

LOL

>You can get things if you pay
>OMG THIS IS A SCAM

You paid for a 70kw car, you have a 70 kw car.

You can get more paying.
More, not less.

>But it already is in the car
Then use it.

Oh, you can't.

Is for that they're charging, for unlocking not for buying again.

Is like when you pay a dealer to fix a loose nut, or when you pay a computer technician for changing something on your PC.
You can not like, and think badly of those who pay for it, but who cares, it's not your car.
If you don't want to pay you're free to do it, just don't complain you don't have the tools to do it.

Jailbreak when

Even unlocked teslas are probably not tuned for max power because durability and range, what's your point?

That's exactly as paying for more powerful versions of the same engine, which is the norm nowadays, especially on diesels.

how hard can it be? it's an electric motor. its not like you need to swap out pistons for maximum boost. just dump loads of power into it. electric motors have maximum torque at stall also btw.

When you charge a Li-ion at the maximum C rate it WILL degrade it's performance over time, this has been known for quite some time. All Elon's promises won't change that fact. Prius batteries last so long because they're not being "supercharged" every time they're plugged in to charge, they're being gently trickle charged by the regen. Prius's also use NiMh which is different from Li-Ion.

It's exactly as hard as is detuning an ICE with a bunch of code.
First engines that come to mind are the D3 and D4 from Volvo, the 1.6L gasoline engines from entry level Mercs or the 1.2L gas engines on Fiestas. They are all identical between the various power levels except for the engine map so they can sell more versions to get to a broader target.

Literally not a single mechanical difference between them

Asked about this before, Tesla uses standard Panasonic 18650 laptop batteries. But they allow them to discharge further than industry standards? Will this turn out to be a problem in the future!

You have a 75kw car with a proprietary bolt and a contract saying that you deserve worse punishment than a common thief should you loosen or tighten it.

it is different because the navigation system doesn't power the car.

>$35k to "replace battery" $12k promised in a few years lol
>going fast will cause the care to catch on fire
>can only do 1/4 miles no other performance anywhere else
>$100k car can't into seamless lines
I know Tesla is supposed to be the Apple of cars ATM however the Apple of fucking electronics is currently getting its ass handed to it by Samsung. How can hipsters defend this shit?

>all cars will have Autopilot compatibility
>need a $3250 DLC
lol

who cares, at least its an american company that's building something people actually buy that's made in america instead of an american company that builds crap and makes it in mexico

>"wahhhh developers should work for free!"

>buys world of warcraft
>complains they need to buy expansion pack

Funniest thing is you probably typed that retarded ass post on a windows machine which is the definition of locked down

>Panasonic Batteries. It's always about the batteries.

>Developers should work for free

Or just sell a 75w car as a 75w car and nothing else

It's not DLC, it's an IBM upgrade complete with magic smoke. It heavily implies that you are not the owner of the vehicle, nor should you be, according to tesla.

I'm in the Midwest, the tanks in the yard are going to be just as rusty as the one from the truck.

>some people are falling for the battery car meme
just shows how bad modern STEM education is

>And the difference to otherwise identical combustion cars with a more powerful turbo tune for more money is which exactly?
getting more out of a turbo car usually means sacrificing the reliability of the engine, manufactures tune engines to the point where they can meet emissions, fuel economy and be relatively reliable. "Tuning up" these cars will sacrafice one of these things

I dont see you getting so Mad about the countless other examples of engines being detuned and sold as separate entities, requiring hundreds if not thousands of dollars for the upgrade to the powerful "different" engine.

You think Tesla charging $250 for the extra 5kw is different than Ford or literally any other manufacturer charging hundreds for extra 10kw on the very same engine, but it is not.
You are just biased towards ICEs and this is just lame ammunition to constantly bash on le evil electric car

Door handles where outsourced to China whom then outsourced them to Vietnam.

You people are retards, this has been a thing in cars for ages

My Porsche came without the on board computer upgrade, but the hardware is there and it just needs to be activated by a dealership tool. They activated mine for free

Tesla makes their own batteries now.

No they make Panasonic batteries. They make them but the tech design and patents are from Panasonic. Tesla has no battery tech, except allowing their 18650's to discharge to a lower rate than industry standards, and or some active cooling tech. But no actual bat tech.
>ALL Batteries are DC

Can you source this? I believe it, but I couldn't find it on google. All of the results were about the recent money dump by panasonic.

>tesla fucking it's customers over

That's nothing new.

>90k car
>literally hundreds if not thousands of reports of the door handles falling of

>Crap, builds it in Mexico.
>Mexican automotive industry booming

They have always used Panasonic batteries but laptops don't use 18550 cell's that much anymore, So build a plant to keep up supply (using GOV money of course) Why 18650? If one cell goes thermal It's not a big deal, because It's so small (where as a bigger battery would roast the car) But then the biggest price of an EV is the Battery WHICH YOU DON'T MAKE... Why sell a $35,000 dollar car. When $17,000 goes to the Battery maker..... Less maintenance service = less money + you have just gotten $18,000 for a car that the customer paid $35,000 for .
So you say fuck it we will stay with ICE until PATENTS expire ( see NiMH) or Price points come down.

Not an expert but this is my thinking as to why the big players haven't gotten into the EV game big time.

lies

>Buy v8
>Only 4 cylinders work
>Have to pay an extra fee to "unlock" all 8 cylinders already present in my car