/sthg/ - Sonic the Hedgehog General

Welcome to Sonic the Hedgehog General. Let's talk about Sonic games, old and new, and the entire franchise including animation and comics. Share art, music, talk about new developments, discuss ROM hacks, speedrunning, etc.

/sthg/ - #522 - Lights, Camera, Action Edition

>Link CompilationDrawfag/Writefag Idea WallsNews/Developments

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=AcTjokmINlM
youtube.com/watch?v=6NL50_W_mgU
youtube.com/watch?v=xbE8E1ez97M
youtube.com/watch?v=NGR5fTO2oio
youtube.com/watch?v=MeGVzRlNg5k
youtube.com/watch?v=t_c2RLiCHSk
youtube.com/watch?v=RTEywlcSh3g
Veeky
twitter.com/NSFWRedditGif

>Last SAGE was 2 year ago

nth for siblings

I want to pull on Sonic's tail.

Sonic 1, Sonic 2, 8-bit Sonics on Game Gear, Sonic 3&k, Sonic CD, Sonic 3D Blast, Sonic R, Sonic the Fighters, Sonic Adventure, Sonic Adventure 2, Sonic Heroes, Sonic Advance 1, Sonic Advance 2, Sonic Rush, Sonic Rush Adventure, Sonic Rivals, Sonic Rivals 2, Sonic Unleashed, Sonic Colours, Sonic Generations, Sonic Lost World are good Sonic games.

Accidental reply. Meant for OP

its okay user
as long as you gave me (you)

Did we get 15mil get?

slow sunday

>Lights, Camera, Action Edition

like two thirds of that are shit

In between 2 and 3.

If the Good ending of Sonic 2 is canon then why didn't Sonic go Super during CD? He had all the emeralds.

pls remove sonic 4 it's not canon right?

I hope everyone in this general is subscribed to Tee Lopes.

What difference would it make, nothing happens anyway.

Yeah it did, Sonic lost his ability to go fast.

>4
Following that logic Colors should be there too, Is just Tails and Sonic saving another world and its people.

Well unless there was a second Metal Sonic that showed up in every game prior to Heroes, err...

Let's just call it a gray area

No Chaos Emeralds in that game? It's also possible that CD happened before 2, at least from Sonic's POV. The game itself is practically built on time travel shenanigans, who's to say Eggman didn't go through the rest of the Death Egg Saga before perfecting Metal?

>nothing happens anyway
I wish

Before 2, and then Episode 4 was an Eggman fever dream.

>That feeling when you realize Roger's Sonic voice is just a James Arnold Taylor impersonation.

From previous dead tread.

It can't take place between Sonic 1 and 2, since Sonic 2 takes place a few days after Sonic 1 with no Eggman (as indicated by the Sonic 4: Episode I digital manual). If CD happened between 1 and 2, then there actually would have been signs of Eggman before 2, contradicting the game's story.

Plus, Mania is a new game in the mix. So the real question is: Does CD take place before Sonic 1, between Sonic 3&K and Sonic Mania, or between Sonic Mania and Sonic 4?

Ew.

Why have so many people put Digital Circuit as their StH stage? It's not that good.

Rude.

The visual design, probably.

Because it's pretty and the firewall sections are a crude resemblance of actual and manageable speed.

Hey, uh, any of you got a hack for Sonic Dash? Pls?

I've always thought of it occurring before (mainly due to an absence of Tails), but really, either way makes sense.

What IS a good stage in Shadow? I thought maybe Westopolis but the alien beams are a pain in the ass.

Maybe Air Fleet. At least its Dark Mission is pretty fun and challenging.

>The absolute state of the party straight up spoiling the reveal
youtube.com/watch?v=AcTjokmINlM

top fucking kek

Is there any indication of where Sonic Mania falls in the timeline? It might just be the trailer, but I kind of got the sense that it'll be an origins story.

My favorites are Lethal Highway dark for going fast and GUN Fortress dark for pure wrecking shit.

The party had a lot of heart put into it, but man, the execution was so bad.

youtube.com/watch?v=6NL50_W_mgU

is there any hope left at this point

If Sonic Mania is an origin story, then why are Tails and Knuckles there? It's plainly obvious that the game is set after 3&K.

Not for whoever was in charge of production for that party.

Sonic Mania looks pretty good.

Project 2017 is questionable, mostly because we still don't have much of a clue about what they are doing outside Eggman seemingly succeeding and Classic being back.

They still have ~18 months or so for P. 2017. I'm hopeful.

Of course, but it'd be nice to know what sort of gameplay it'll have.

I'm feeling a variation on boost, expanding beyond what Unleashed, Colors, and Gens did. A bit more fleshed out movement system, perhaps a new take on parkour movement but without the Lost World gameplay style. Perhaps making spindash meaningful in same way, and giving Sonic the ability to actually do some platforming without going into 2D and/or slowing him down.

Of course,that's all just speculation on a tiny amount of CG movie, so I could be completely wrong.

I'm more curious about story, since I'm expecting something similar to Generations on the gameplay side of things. The story though, it looks like there's going to be actual stakes and intrigue, and that hasn't existed since what, Unleashed? Black Knight? Though I wonder how serious it can get without making Classic Sonic's appearence jarring

The classic games were relatively serious, but Sonic was as cutesy back then either. I don't think it's going to be stupidly dark or "edgy" like some people are saying, just a more standard Saturday morning cartoon/shonen anime action plot.

Like said, you can have cutesy looking classic Sonic and still have a somewhat serious story, even if light in tone.

I'd be up for anything that actually resembles a plot or a threat.
If Time's involved maybe Double Nega or Eggman has a time machine and springs Sonic half a year into the future like BritSonic and gives him the time to fuck everything up. Because two Sonics have appeared before it means Classic Sonic gets dragged along for the ride.
I'd genuinely love it if they got Boom Sonic in too. Actually competent devs working on decent exploratory fast would be sweet. And Best Eggman. But we're being realistic here.

I'm honestly expecting something as simple as Generations' plot, with the exact same tone after the opening. It'll probably be revealed to be a dream sequence or flashback or flashforward to what could be and then it's back to Quips™

Anyone else remember something about Iizuka or someone else at Sonic Team saying that Classic wasn't actually younger Sonic, but from another dimension? I feel like I read that somewhere, but after how long it took me to find the interview where Iizuka first said the "two worlds" thing I don't feel like going to the trouble.

Could have implications for the plot if they end up going with that explanation for Classic.

I have hope that Pontaff aren't writing this. I can't prove it yet, but I can reasonably back up the supposition.

It could literally be anything. We'll just have to wait and see.

I really lost the track in the mid modern saga, mostly because they went full exclusive in consoles that I don't have or I can't emulate in my toaster.

>I have hope that Pontaff aren't writing this. I can't prove it yet, but I can reasonably back up the supposition.
How so? Even then, the games seem outright allergic to any form of serious storytelling. We'll probably just get another plot of Sonic and Tails (Or Classic Sonic) standing around cracking bad jokes

Unleashed had at least something.
I wish we had Adventure 1 tier stories.
Not too serious, not too fucking half-arsed I liked the bit in Colours where Sonic pushed Tails into the elevator to make sure he wouldn't be harmed, and Eggman's announcements and the black hole mind you just right.

Apart from Gamma's Vietnam war flashback. Like damn.

If we have new writers for this game, as long as they've actually done their jobs and played or watched all of the former stories, then I have hope. If it's Pontac and Griff expect
>WOW, THE PLACE IS RUINED
>DON'T WORRY, WE'LL STOP MOUSTACHE MAN
>WE ALWAYS DO
>end cut-scene

>Anyone else remember something about Iizuka or someone else at Sonic Team saying that Classic wasn't actually younger Sonic, but from another dimension?
If that's the case, it begs the question on why Sonic and Tails felt some familiarity with the zones in Gens. It implies Modern has been to these places before but if what Iizuka says is true then him and Classic aren't the same individual.

Parallel universe with different outcomes, perhaps? Episode 2 of Sonic 4 shows Stardust Speedway in a Bad Future state so it could point to Modern having failed in this universe while Classic succeeded in the other.

Fuck, it all sounds like baseless headcanon at this point. Ignore my autism.

>Jim Stirling

>tfw that was me
>still confused
At least I can die knowing I got a amazing get for Sonic

>Lights, Camera, Action Edition
Why is this being repeated over and over again lately?

youtube.com/watch?v=xbE8E1ez97M

youtube.com/watch?v=NGR5fTO2oio

Catch up, user.

Pontaff were brought on at around the same time SEGA of America fired their localization team; all Pontaff games were written in English and then localized for Japan, the reverse of previous games. This was part of SEGA buying Atlus, who had their own American localization team. In order to reduce redundancy in the company, SoA sacked their team and replaced them with the Atlus team, presumably because they were better at their job. Pontaff most recently have been writing for Boom: Fire & Ice, which as part of the comedy spin-off series is a better fit for Quips™. 2017, meanwhile, is the first major Sonic game since the complete corporate restructuring of SEGASammy a couple years ago, which puts SoA in a better position to localize a Japanese-written game again.

So, my hope is that Pontaff are just working on the Boom games now, and mainline games are back to Sonic Team writers. But liked I said, we don't actually know who's writing the game yet.

Colors had most of the story written out before Pontaff were hired, If I remember right. They just wrote the cutscene dialogue and Eggman P.A. announcements. Lost World also had a Japanese writer listed in the credits. For some reason they didn't think that necessary for Generations, the game that would've most benefited from not being written exclusively by them.

see and

I like your taste in Boom levels

>Iizuka in charge of saying things with sense
Remember that part where everyone got amnesia after rush?

If you do not post a Sally, Bump will cry.

she seems happy with the current thread

Fuck Bump.

>So, my hope is that Pontaff are just working on the Boom games now, and mainline games are back to Sonic Team writers. But liked I said, we don't actually know who's writing the game yet.
I'm hoping it's like you said and Sonic Team's back on writing duties. But even then, I'm worried we're still getting Quips™ 2017: Electric Boogaloo

At least I was able to track down the "two worlds" interview to show everyone's interpretation of it was bullshit and he was just talking about design philosophies.

That's the idea, yeah.

I did listen to Studiopolis before, I just don't generally pay attention to lyrics/voice samples. I thought it was something more elaborate with people repeating it as much as they do, like a callback to a classic game or a reference from some old and perhaps obscure part of the franchise.

This should be the theme for Knuckles in Sonic Mania:
youtube.com/watch?v=MeGVzRlNg5k

Nah, it's just catchy to most of us & in my opinion helps give off that Sonic CD vibe.

No complain from me.

>>WOW, THE PLACE IS RUINED
>>DON'T WORRY, WE'LL STOP MOUSTACHE MAN
>>WE ALWAYS DO
>>end cut-scene

>It's a boss fight with a death pit

anyone got a mega link to the Sonic Mega Collection OST?
I need that History music for reading the comics

youtube.com/watch?v=t_c2RLiCHSk
You reading post or pre-reboot user?

just the few latest issues
I still need to read most of the Dark Ages though, one day maybe

The Egg Viper is one of the sweetest Eggman mech ever. Feels so good to have something different from generic Egg Gundam #12586546

>I still need to read most of the Dark Ages though, one day maybe
Today's the day user. Where did you quit them?

Don't do it user it's not even "so bad it's good" tier
They are just plain bad

youtube.com/watch?v=RTEywlcSh3g

>Where did you quit them?
I don't even remember where exactly, I'd probably start over from the beginning if I had the time

Do not listen to this user. Do it. DO IT

I'll consider doing it at the start of the next weekend

Was playing that game again recently. Either that boss was more bullshit than I remembered or it's more bullshit in the PC version than the Gamecube version for some reason.

If you can remember what was going on where you quit, I might be able to give you an issue number.

Also, bullshit captcha.

>bullshit captcha
That is a sign.
OF FREEDOM

>he doesn't Use Recaptcha v1

how do you enable it?
i'm tired of just recognizing storefronts

You've got Veeky Forums X, right?

If not, step 1, install Veeky Forums X.

Veeky Forums-x.net/

what's next?

Check the box in settings that says Use Recaptcha v1.

can't find it

Look mate, I'm only willing to help you so much. If you can't scroll through a settings list then I don't know what to tell you.

But you also probably need to refresh the page after installing if you haven't opened a new Veeky Forums page.