/pog/ - Porsche General

>necro general, immortal badge of honor and pride edition

It's that time once again, at last... once more. Talk about the pride of Stuttgart, /pog/gots!

Other urls found in this thread:

cargur.us/8vr89
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

I'm here

Good car, bad car?

What engine options did it have, any known issues with any of these?

Does the car have documented problems? Are they a cunt to work on?

Good car when it works.

Was available in multiple flavors of Porsche-built 4-banger, with or without boost.

Many many parts will break and have to be fixed/replaced, have at least a grand ready at any and all times to be sure.
Galvanized body means rust isn't a major problem though, which is nice.

It's an '80s German car, not a total nightmare to work on but not last-few-cylinders-hidden-under-the-cowl hard to work on either.

Very good car, user. Same goes for the 924S, which is just the 944 on a 924 body.

>tfw wanted a silver 911 carrera 996 ever since i watched gone in 60 seconds

you posted this before.

also aim higher

i would just be happy with a silver 911 carrera 996. the design is nice as it is without spoilers etc.

>clutch starting to slip

I just bought this thing too

Maybe you should get some jackstands, stop being a little bitch, and replace it.

hngg

Alright thanks guys, I'm looking to get something a bit more spirited for my next car and I've always had a thing for the 944.

I'm more than capable of maintaining the thing I was just curious as to whether it suffered from the "German engineering" issues most other stuff did.

They go for pretty damn cheap here, so even if I buy a total shitter it won't be too big of a fuck up.

It'll be some time before I get the dollars together to buy one though, well, insure one I should say!

DICK LEVELS CRITICAL
MUST FORCE PURGE OR RISK DANGER TO MANIFOLD

>afterstock 996 / Boxster wheels
No surprise the clutch is bad, the previous owner must have done a number on that poor thing. Get it fixed, user.

Sure, just don't cheap out all that much, generally the ones under 3k have been abused to hell. You might get lucky and find a real bargain (there was an user that got a nearly flawless model for some absurd ~800 dollars, middle red 944 in the OP pic) but most of the times it's worth paying extra for extra care.

Why have I suddenly opened up to the idea of a 993 cab?

>"German engineering" issues

I'm not sure what those might be, but the only really specialized thing to deal with is the early Bosch motronic system. The cars are getting old so shit happens. Besides that and keeping tabs on your timing belt/water pump schedule I would say it's the same as dealing with any 30 year old sports car.

yeah those are genuine Cup II all right

>must have done a number on that poor thing
explain.

should I replace them? go back to non-staggered?

I aim to sell my Boxster and get a 996 C4S next year, I figured I'm already so familiar with the M96 engine

now that's fucking neat

>dat color palette
10/10 photography.

So I just found out that an oil separator failure can mimic the symptoms of a blown head gasket... after getting the head gaskets replaced

Joy to the world

Yo wtf, im in the middle of a head gasket replacement right now. What car is this and how do i test mine. Symptoms??? Fug

It's a 986, a failed oil separator can let off huge, white smoke bombs apparently
When the engine is running check to see if you can take the oil cap off easily or if there's a vacuum holding it down. You can also take out the dipstick and listen for a sucking sound

I figured white clouds was coolant getting into the combustion chamber, but after getting the gaskets replaced the oil separator still gave me those problems
I found out when I checked the oil cap for a vacuum

It's a $70 part you can change out yourself too

So guys, I have a 2007 Cayman S. I dropped it with springs and got an alignment, however my toe out is absurd at like .50+ degrees. My PSM is throwing a code now. Would these two be related? not my cayman

> also, I purchase a adjustable toe link to rectify this issue. Should be coming in friday

should i buy?

cargur.us/8vr89

>Panamera

Fuck no.

AYY WE BACK I CAN SHITPOST ABOUT MY SHITBOX AGAIN

Went through the drive through and forgot I don't have cupholders. good thing I have no door cards.

Do you like the Panamera?

Honestly though I'm loving every second i'm behind the wheel of this thing. Gave two friends rides and they loved it as well. Haven't seen someone not smile when I show it off.

>V6

nope

Panamera is good u cuck

Whats wrong with the v6?

Do 944s have an oil speparator? Are they in all cars like am i retarded

I like the panamera user

I have no idea, I'm really only familiar with the M96 engine

There are some mentions about an oil separator for the Turbos, but that's it
Check emissions parts on Rockauto for your car

Damn, it looks likes the early 944s have an AOS too. I'll look into the testing after i get my head gasket replaced as the replacement is already 60% done. Thanks for the post qt

Np bby

the AOS on a 944/1 is the base of the oil filler tube at the back of the engine. Not the same as the 986 but can still be suspect. Also oil cooler seals can cause a mix of oil/coolant. Good Luck!

in other news

>be me
>sick w/cold, call out of work
>shop calls "hey user, your trailing arms are done"
>been a month
>pick them up
>"holy shit i might be able to drive my car tonight"
>spend day putting everything back together
>feeling like a boss
>a snotty, medicine headed boss
>sun is setting, hurriedly finish and put on wheels
>start up, back out of garage, head around the block
>clunk
>clunk clunk
>clunk
>carefully come back home, park in the garage and start fiddling around looking for loose stuff
>too lazy to remove wheel
>give up and figure i'll sort it out tomorrow
> :(
>couple hours later
>sitting in bed talking to gf
>like a shit-tornado it hits me
I forgot to tighten the fucking caliper mount bolts. By not removing the wheel after the initial test I couldn't see that they were loose. It's far too late to go tighten them now so I'll still be doing them in the morning, but so happy it's something simple.

i guess the moral is double check everything and avoid wrenching on meds.

If mess impair you that much avoid doing anything serious on them

Thanks! I think it's the best car-related shot I've taken. No post work done at all.

I don't even know what I typed in the morning anymore and why it turned into that

hah that's alright i think i understood it

might be getting a 911 sc, around 30k used. any known issues? I know that many swap the tranny in favor of the g50 in the older models. similar aftermarket changes are done to the airbox and timing chain, but I was wondering if these were in anyway inherently flawed
Thanks!

Is it possible to get a pre-996 911 for around 20k or should I be looking to spend much more than that?

Co'Stance'za

Spend much more than that unless it was set on fire or you have a time machine

How about the parts, are they individually expensive?

can't you get a 964 in ok condition for that price?

I couldn't find a single air cooled 911 for under 40k in Canada, the only cheap 911s are the 996s

And I hope to God they stay cheap at least until the end of next year

The 964 generally starts at 40k, sadly. Perhaps you can find a slightly beat up 80s Targa on that budget though, I did stumble upon a rare few under 20k.

they're one of the overall worst porsches ever made so I assume they will

>worst Porsches ever made
That's a huge over statement but keep spreading the IMS horror stories, it keeps the cars cheap

Man, I love depreciation. Realized I can pick up a Cayman S from ~2008 for under $30k. I think it'll be the perfect daily when I replace my current one next year.

Whats you insurance like premiums?

Not him buts it's a $30k car normally driven by old men, it should be cheaper to insure than an S2000 or an STI

>they're one of the overall most important porsches ever made
FTFY. Also hoping they don't appreciate until the next decade.

Haven't looked into it yet, but I'm planning to consolidate cars. I've got three currently so I'm hoping to at least net out if I go down to just one car.

Well they're Porsche parts, so expect above average costs and below average availability.
There are some specialized part stores, though.

Fun fact, the 996 is mechanically almost the same as the 997.1
The new car just looks prettier

>Porsche thread on 10th page
Not on my fucking watch, Stuttgartbros.

Miss Piggy is second best racing livery, only after pic related.

What porsche is this

968 with the headlight delete kit

>yfw porsches are now being made by mudslimes

Am I supposed to be mad at that? I frankly don't have anything against muslims in general (>inb4 hurr durr fuckin eurocuck check out /pol/ to get redpilled xDD), but even if I did, has the quality of Porsches ever decayed because of them?

>inb4 the muslims are to blame for the Panamera and the SUVs

I went to Stuttgart and visited the Porsche Museum while I was in Germany. I picked up a new 2014 BMW 550i corporate lease for myself at the time. Porsches are way too fucking expensive, even to lease. I got a real boner for them, though. Want a 991 GT3 :[ Got to drive one on the Las Vegas Motorway a couple weeks ago with Dream Racing :D

Anyway, when I got to the underground parking at Stuttgart, they just leave their museum cars down there sometimes. There was a GT2 RS just sitting there in a designated parking spot. I parked right fucking next to a Carrera GT -.-

Unreal the cars they have there.

FC RX7 with a body kit

This guy gets it

DESIGNATED
PARKING
SPOTS

Can you even expand upon this, or is it just something you've seen posted on Veeky Forums?

No it's a thing, people bitches about the 996 because if the infamous IMS issue which really isn't an issue anymore and because it "killed the air cooled 911s"

Truth is the IMS problems really aren't problems anymore since it only affected a small percentage of low mileage cars
The 996 set the standard for modern 911s, kind of like what the C4 Corvette did for future 'vettes

>Many many parts will break and have to be fixed/replaced, have at least a grand ready at any and all times to be sure.

that sounds like owning any car ever.

Yup, exactly. The maintainace costs are at a slight premium over non luxury brands. No worse than owning a Mercedes or BMW.

People are spoiled by Toyotas and Hondas though. In those they can neglect regular maintainance and not really get fucked over immediately for doing so.

People also don't take into consideration what regular maintenance is for their cars

My mom's Accord need an oil change every 5000-10000kms depending on how the oil life computer feels, but my Boxster needs one every 24000kms
You can twist this and say Porsches need a new set of tires every other time you change he the oil and it wouldn't be wrong, but it'll make the cars look like money pits to normies when in reality you're just getting a new set of performance tires at like ~50000kms

DESIGNATED

PARKING

As a Lexus lube monkey I find this hilarious, the IS and RC eat through tires like nobodies business, nice to know even Porsches last longer lmfao

SPOTS

Bumping with German Engineering™

I've had a 996 since 2013 and I don't think I've ever stuck my key in there.

I have a Boxster, so I lock it up. Turns out it's total bullshit

Also chink LEDs make the interior look nicer than it really is

My $60k+ 2013 991 is cheaper to insure than my 2015 STI was, by a considerable amount. My 2002 S2000 was reasonable, I assume because they undervalue it so heavily (valued at $8k, sold it for $17k to buy the 991). Demographics really make a huge difference.

Have 991s really dropped down to $60k?

Bump

>all that discolored plastic

what the fuck user

respray that shit

Looks like base model 991s are starting at $55k from random used car lots, $66k with CPO warranty from a dealership.

Mine was advertised for $69k, I bought it for just over $62k, though it has more options than anything under $75k on the market currently.

I need to stop looking at the used car locator, eventually I'll find something that makes me feel like I didn't wait long enough.

I would but I don't care enough about this car. Maybe when I decide sell it I'll fix up the interior for better first impressions

My crew rolls colorfully.

God damn I forgot they're already 5 years old

What are people's thoughts and feelings about replica Porsche? Anyone ever own one?

I'd get something like a replica 550 Spyder, apparently if you go for an original VW flat 4 it'll cost as little as $18k