/ORG/ -- Off Road General

Welcome to /ORG/
aka the road is for faggots general
aka 4x4 general
aka BFG K02 general

>mfw called in sick for work today to go wheeling

Any love for 2WD shitboxes (nontrucks/suv) doing lite offroading?
I tend to do it a lot for work, fun charging at a hill at speed because lolnotorque and need that momentum to get to the top of the service road.

Damn I love me some shitboxes that can take abuse.
>pnr

>Any love for 2WD shitboxes (nontrucks/suv) doing lite offroading?
1000x yes
my first "rig" was a 2wd ranger
it was awesome as fuck. took more abuse than anything and was actually fairly decent on moderate trails once i put some ATs on it

Cool.
Because I've got friends with trucks and 4WD's that keep telling me to get one but I don't really need it since I live in suburbia and only would use it for work/driving to friends.

So far the only issue I've had getting around is when it's raining, but have been thinking about carrying around a set of ATs in the back to swap on drive wheels when it gets wet.

>The most fun part is driving back down in the rain

>cont
I'd like a 22R 4WD pickup, that'd be sweet.
Or an AWD SC Previa because fucking super egg.

dont get me wrong 4x4s are fun as fuck but if youre having fun in your current car and not doing any technical trails then i dont see any issues with sticking with what you got
if you did finally make the plunge though a whole bunch of terrain that is unavailable to you now would become available. there are a lot of 4x4s that dont really sacrifice on road driveability so it can still be compatible in suburbia

>off road thread
>everyone talking about 2WD garbage
goddamn I knew Veeky Forums was shit but man you guys are gay

I think you missed something...

>BFG K02 general
Nah, Nittos and Toyos are where it's at

>wanting to get 1st gen 4runner, but they are expensive in soviet california
wat do

>shit in the snow
>deafening on the freeway
no thank u

1st gen best gen
>tfw no '85 runner

this thread is a good thread.
who else /diesel 4x4/?

wish i was but toyota doesnt send the diesel cruisers to america
nice duramax tho im mirin

thanks man, appreciate it.
i actually had a '88 yota with the fuel injection and shit, she was nice.
but i kinda rolled it

you are retarded if you think driving on pavement on ATs when its raining is going to kill you, ride the bus.

Cali Cherokee checkin' in.

Any 4Runner owners here?
Thinking about trading my Accord in for a lightly used 4Runner.
Is getting a CPO worth it?
How reliable has yours been?
Also, what's the real world MPG?

nice!

not an owner but ive wheeled a few
cpo seems like a scam to me unless you have no idea what youre looking for then it might be a safe bet
theyre one of the most reliable trucks out there
for mpg that depends if you get 6 or 8 cylinders. with 8 expect like 10-12 with 6 maybe 15-17

Thanks user Bro.
Love the adventures we have.
Currently in the shop upgrading to a custom long-arm suspension & ARB lockers front & back.
Pick her up Friday for the next trip!

>tfw you only offroad out of necessity and never for fun
>get everywhere on mix and match 28" bald road tires and totally stock vehicle
>then american's go out of their way to buy 34" tires, lift kits, whinches, light bars
>they often never leave the road

Yeah I'd avoid the V8, there's probably a reason why they don't offer it anymore, fuel efficiency being a big reason. And what do you mean by "if you don't know what you're looking for"? I'm having trouble understanding that part for some reason

the tires seem a little too thin and street spec for the environment you're in unless it was just a photo op.

San Diego Taco checking in

>ARB lockers front & back.
hnnggg what was the out the door cost for those?
also how difficult is the install? want to add them to my cruiser so badly but ive heard some horror stories about cost/install

im assuming you mean certified pre owned when you say cpo? just making sure were talking about the same thing haha.
if so what i meant was if you know what to look for on the truck (in terms of what should have been replaced, how good is the maintenance history, what looks like its going wrong or may go wrong soon, etc.) then you dont need to necessarily by a certified pre owned one because youll be able to tell if its a good one or not.

wouldnt call those tires too thin
of course you can always go bigger tho lol

What's your opinions on the Suzuki Sierra / jimny? I want a 4x4 for offroading but would prefer something smaller to drive around town.

Open to suggestions for any other small 4x4s

i'm a desert rat so wide-ass tires are kinda needed, otherwise you sink, so that's where it comes from.
plus most crawlers have creepy crawlers or some other bigass tire.

No photo op. 10 day trip and this is typical terrain.
Running narrower tires has it's advantages. I don't go over the 10.5 inches you see here.
Over 45k miles on this set, (31x10.5) and never a flat or problem. Going to 33x10.5 after the latest suspension work this week.

I'm impressed, man.
never seen a sleeper crawler. badass.
i can't crawl in my rig for obvious reasons, so i'm just kind of the mothership with the winch and shit.

Re: ARB
Expensive. About $2k for the lockers & $500 for the compressor, but I also changed the gear ratio which was another $800 for both Diffs and also added ARB covers $400.
It's my toy though that sees a lot of use so I don't mind putting the cash in her.

>mad about 2wd

Toyota trucks a best

2wd is only good for making your truck a sandrail and just fucking around.
if you really wanna get technical and shit, you need 4x4

Not the same user, but
>not wanting 2wd with LTS to blow across the desert at 70mph

oh I do want that.
but i also want a dedicated technical crawling/mudding/etc 4x4 and i'm too poor to have both so i'm going with the 4x4 since i can use it for more outside of the fucking around universe

fuck i want a dunes truck/prerunner

All I do is fuck around so that's just my personal taste. But to each his own, I guess

Room mate is buying a '72 Jeep Commando with an AMC 304 in it from his dad. We need to figure out what axles it has to decide if they're strong enough to handle 32's

So hyped

Here's my cummins 6 speed

>tfw want to go mudding
>tfw no public off roading roads
>have to join a club and pay fees like a motherfucker to go mudding every 3 weeks
>tfw no time to join a club
:/

Ohhh okay like looking over the condition of stuff, now I see. And yeah certified pre owned. But I've always thought it was a good idea to get a CPO regardless of the vehicle because shit happens. Perfect example, my current car is a 2012 Accord, bullet proof car right? well I got it with 37k on the clock and everything looked perfect, then all of a sudden the power steering pump died and another part of the steering was screwed up as well and now the door locks don't always work.

TL;DR. I'm paranoid about things breaking. But maybe a 4Runner is tougher

that's disgusting

>you are retarded if you think driving on pavement on ATs when its raining is going to kill you, ride the bus.
Lol what? I never said that. I drive over 100mi one way normally to get to these backroads, those 100mi are all paved. I'm saying I'd like a set of AT's to swap on in the rain when I'm on a dirt track and it's wet, which happens quite a bit.
I wouldn't use the AT's on pavement just because MPG and trying to make them last longer, nothing to do with thinking I'll lose traction or something

i think what youre saying is you just want a warranty which i understand.
4runners are pretty bulletproof but then again theoretically so are accords.

no u

I did my first water crossing yesterday, through that washed out part behind the truck. it was about 2 ft deep and I guess everything went well. I raised my diff breather so I figured I'd try it

>mudding

Never had any problem with my nittos, but I only take weekend trips to the mountains and don't constantly drive in snowy conditions. And they're quite when you compare them to mud grapplers or KM2s

>muddin
The only people that go mudding are redneck dumbasses, high schoolers, and those smart enough to have a mud truck

A couple minutes of fun is a lifetime of shit falling on your face while working under your truck

>A couple minutes of fun is a lifetime of shit falling on your face while working under your truck

put it on ramps and clean the undercarriage bro... It's not difficult.

Good look cleaning every little bit of dirt out of every crevice. I've unsuccessfully tried.

>mfw i just spray that bitch up with a hose and then call it a day

>Yeah I'd avoid the V8, there's probably a reason why they don't offer it anymore, fuel efficiency being a big reason.
2uz is bulletproof, but a bit low on power and fuel efficiency isn't great. Got phased out for the 5.7 and the newer 4.6.

and it works. i dont get where this "years of dirt" meme comes from. My shit is squeaky clean even when I dont put it on ramps

really you just soak all of it and it just sort of slides off
a power washer is better tho

Bump for this. Theres got to be some SWB 4x4 love here

Everything they were made from in terms of the samurai and sidekick ect. are great. We don't get Jimny's in the US unfortunately. Shame because they are very capable little guys and I miss the proper small SUV market. Now the closest thing we got is shit like the Patriot.

If you like something small and rugged, and can get one in good shape for cheap, go for it.

All I got is a tracker, but it's pretty bulletproof.

SWB 4x4s get my dick hard
Posting my abortion

how does the pajero weigh as much, or more, as the bof prado? Wasnt the point of welding the frame into the body weight reduction?
Admitedly, the pajero does provide a less trucklike drive and have a lower centre of gravity but still keeps me thinking.

>Comparing 3.8l nx and 4.0l 150.

I love my SWB 4x4s. All time favorite is the FJ40 Land Cruiser.

Pic of my garage with two of my current projects

And from behind

> first rig was a 2wd ranger
I just got a 2wd '05 ranger and I'd love to try off roading, I just thought I wouldn't be able to do it in a 2wd. You gave me hope, user

Nice. Keeping an eye on them now. Driven a ute/pickup version of them so really like how they run

I somehow got unstuck from a spot right before this pic despite the lack of limited-slips.

You can do most non-extreme offroading in even old landbarges. All you need is power, ground clearance and not driving like a retard. Most trucks have the first two in spades. It's rock crawling and mudding in foot deep mud that needs more.

Sunny Canberra reporting in.

Thaaa Brinnndddiiieeesss

I've been here a year and never made it out there :/
Good country?

Why the fuck is your garage so low that would piss me off

Depends where you live.

Sandy mud washes right off. Clay is hell.

The trick with clay is to get it before it dries with a pressure washer. Otherwise yeah, you'll be hearing clods pop off the undercarriage with every bump for weeks.

Anyone have experience with the Lexus GX 470? Thinking about picking one up for my next off-road project. Had an 05 Xterra previously that was fun, looking to get back into minor offroading/overlanding/camping

theyre basically an lc prado so theyre pretty great. saw a thread about an overland build with one ill see if i can find it.
theyre a great blend of luxury amenities and offroad capability

I actually had the 2UZ in my old Sequoia, I miss that engine so much

i love the sequoia
its underrated as fuck. im considering picking up a mint one after my kid gets a bit older

Yeah it was really solid but still do your homework. I heard some model years have ECU issues and other gremlins. Oh and the rear axle seals like to shit the bed, mine let go at about 180,000 and leaked oil all over my brakes. Ended up selling it because of that, the new axle was too expensive

I have the GX470
Basically a V8 runner
Maybe even heavier
I get 15-18 DDing it
I appreciate the trade of a few MPGs for more power but that's me:)

Yea I read through a few articles on expedition portal about them, the blend of nice interior and off road reliability is pretty tough to beat. I've found a few for 11-12k with 80-100k miles. Would I be safe going up in mileage to get closer to 10k?
If you don't mind, what'd you pay/how was the mileage when you bought it?

>Would I be safe going up in mileage to get closer to 10k?
definitely. the drivetrain is pretty bulletproof. really the only thing id be worried about is the air suspension so make sure you have someone experienced look at it.
im fairly certain they make air suspension removal kits too if you feel like tackling that in the future

Ok, thanks, that's what I figured. It would be a secondary vehicle anyway so I'll up my mileage limit in my search. Did they all have the air suspension?

22r (or 22re) is slow as balls for everyday driving if you live in a city though. I have a toyota pickup and it's very unamusing compared to a car except for when you are offroad. If you want one get an 85, first year fuel inected last year solid front axle.

poastin from Canada

i have a 22R 1981 Toyota 4x4 as well as , just get a 84 or 85 4x4. came with 22RE option so no fucking with the carbs, i swapped a 40,000km 22R drivetrain into mine but honestly kinda wish i did a 22RE

They're extremely overrated by people that think they're underrated.

do you live in maryland

4runner here with 240k miles, only thing i have replaced out of maintenance-wise its a belt pulley, and the front calipers (yes caliperS) toyota really dropped the ball on those 2 things.

This.

I see people with lift kits, beautiful suspension work, tow balls that fucking SHINE in the sunlight from lack of use and it doesn't look like the rig has EVER left the pavement

>RWD
>Stock road tires
>Bent frame
>paint doing that weird sunburn thing

Stock XJ (jeep cherokee) that has more dents and scars than edward james olmos with a story behind every one

Pic related, it's edward james olmos

Massachusetts

Isuzufag here
Some friends and I just got back from a camping/mountain biking trip near Mount Rainier. View was incredible, and somehow a Subaru Outback managed to wheel itself out onto the trails we were on and camped close to us

Moar pix

Well I went to go look at the rig, pic related.

It's a steal for 2k, I'm hyped as fuck. Already has SOA conversion, literally brand new 35's, freshly rebuilt carb. All it needs is to have some seats mounted.