Should I fix?

Kiwifag checking in. I am looking at buying a 1990 Toyota SW20 MR2 for $300 plus an extra $100 to get it to my place. The car is completedly stock except for tyres, stereo and AC delete. The guy is selling so low because the bearing in cylinder one is spun and the engine knocks and he doesnt have the time or budget to fix it. Its likely that I will buy it but I need to know how much repairs could cost, can I do it myself (I have a well equipped garage), how can I prevent this from happening in the future and any information regarding the problem, etc. Anything is welcome, but I dont want opinions on the car, just recommendations and info on what I can do about it.
Cheers.

3SGE?
Mileage?
Likely you'll need to pull the engine and do a rebuild

You're basically buying a nice shell for $400. Swap the turbo engine in or a v6.

1) Buy a not fucked up MR2
2) Get another 3S and put in there -> Cheapest option
3) Spend the money you'd have spent on a good MR2 to put in a K20 -> fastest option

you know what you must do

>$400 for MR2 shell
With no rust sounds like a steal.

Spun bearing? Needs an engine. If you wanted to fix that one, it would need new bearings, possibly rod caps, possibly rods, and for sure a crankshaft. So, the price of that shit alone....you're doing an engine swap.

Can you do it? Well considering I don't know you or anything about MR2s it would be hard to say.

Better question to ask yourself: are you okay with risking losing $400?
I would be.

You can buy a ST215 Caldina engine for around $800.
It will need a custom wire loom made, otherwise its a 100% drop in.

Just need to work out midengine cooling, and IC piping.

Swap in a 3S-GTE. Way more straightforward than a K20 . Gen3 if you want to build for MAXIMUM POWAR. Gen4 if you want a solid reliably daily with reasonable power (notably more than stock still).

Hey mate kiwi here too id listen to the anons about the 3sge swap my mate had one with the 3sge it was a rocket for a n/a car

If you have to ask if you can replace a big end bearing yourself then you cant. Get a beams 3sge

is there a transverse beams?

The lump is a stock standard N/A 2 liter 3S-GE with about 250,00 kms on the clock. If I can I would prefer to fix it but otherwise I could be persuaded to go for the best financial option. However Im not about to put some carolla engine into it but I wouldnt mind sinking $800 if another option is better

You'll have to take it apart to really know.
At most you'll need another engine.
At least you'll need a rod, all bearings, may as well re-ring, head work. Basically the whole shebang. But it's not as expensive or intense as you might think. Just don't cut corners and do everything to spec.

Worst case you could part out the car and make your money back, shit probably more.

> beams
meme engine

mate 400 bucks is nothing if you dont buy it hook me up lol

It's on TradeMe at the moment if any NZ fags wanna check it out

>south island
damn it

is that you catboyfag?

yes there is, there's a grey top caldina beams 3sge and a red top celica beams 3sge

>mfw i am also a kiwi
>mfw i swapped a caldina beams into an sw20 not too long ago

my nigger-rigged beams mr2

I'm now making second thoughts about doing it up, I did some reseach and it looks pretty hard. Dont get me wrong it would make an awesome project and the gains would be enormous but quite simply I dont have the time or space and my money probably should be spent on much better things, like I have a few other projects that need to come first (1980 Honda CB250 RS that I got for next to nothing) and it will just sit there and gather dust. I could sell it for parts but again, time, space, patience. I will be sad to let such a steal go but I think its for the best and I have other things that are much bigger priorities.

No? What/who is catboyfag? Enlighten me.

No? What/who is catboyfag? Enlighten me

sorry for double posting.
Veeky Forums on phones is shit :/

should swap a 4age in for that sound

The V6 swap is one of the best swaps you can do. You gain HP and TQ while losing weight. Also, dat sound. The engines are cheap and plentiful.

If you check the forums there is literally several dudes on there who sell the mount kit, and will take the two wiring harnesses (stock and the one from the V6) and splice them together for you.

>1990 SW20

That's the one that tries to kill you, get a Rev 2 onwards.

except in those cases a good quality wire loom costs more than the engine

>have an all trac with a blown motor
>want to install the latest get 3S
>engine is $650
>wire loom is $800
>mfw

No matter what engine you swap in, it will still be an automatic

Well SW20 are the actual turbo models.
If it has a 3sgte just rebuild it. If its an n/a motor, to a v6 swap. 1mz i believe. Its easy as hell as far as swaps go and pretty well documented.

don't get one, they're really shitty cars. really really shit handling really dangerous. save your self from dying don't buy one get something else instead, proper shit car.

>Well SW20 are the actual turbo models.

No?

They came with a non-turbo 3SGE as well.

> rev 2 sw20
ew

he's probably thinking of the usdm n/a model, chassis code SW21