Tires and car newbies

So how actually dangerous are sidewall bubbles on a tire?

I'm a fairly new car owner, I've always love cars and I've been driving for 4 years now (I'm just 20) but some months ago my sister moved out of the country and kindly decided to give me her car, a Sonic LTZ sedan 2012. I know its not a car build to be pushed to its limits everyday (or ever) but I learned to love it over the time and besides it was free so what the hell.

Some weeks ago I noticed there was a bubble on the tire (similar size to pic), apparently my sister hit it 2 days right after buying it so it means this bubble has been there for 4 years and was never an issue. I have been investigating about it with little results, Ive been getting mixed opinions about changing the tire or not, I know that for city use its safe for the most part but I use the car to drive back and forward between my 2 cities (154 km each way) and naturally I like to have fun whenever I have the chance but I have been told that the tire could explode if I go too fast, problem is no one can tell me how fast is too fast. I'm worried because I know my sister almost never used the car for highways unlike me and I'm not sure if this could cause problems.

I don't have money to replace the tires right now, I used the spare tire a couple of times to travel but I used the bubbled tire before up to 150 km/h with no problem but I'm just worried that it might blow while I'm driving fast

Is that a real thing?

Should I replace it now or wait it out like this until I have more money?

this could be you if you don't change it.

Thats quite pessimistic mate but thanks for the advice.

Change its not safe plus tires are cheap for cars like that

where do you live, op, serious?

Here's the way I look at things OP:

>is your life worth the price of a tire?
>is your car worth the price of the tire?

Consider that at some point your car will be full of people you care/love, are they worth the price of a tire?

Tires which have sidewall bulges or bubbles have been compromised and are no longer safe, surely I've seen idiots drive them for thousands of miles without them bursting but are you Gina bet your life on that? Cause by not changing it you're rolling the dice on a problem which you decided to ignore.

There are few this I'm cheap on and that's tires, brakes and regular maintenance. If you can't afford a tire, ride the bus.

Do you think I can postpone the change if I drive slower or is it just equally dangerous?

Why?

>tires 4 years old and has a sidewall bubble
>should be fine

are you retarded?

>why
just give me a continent

I wouldn't trust tires that are 4 years old for shit, even if they looked pristine.
>hard weathered rubber
>split sidewall
>trying to justify not buying tires you desperately need in order to not end up a smouldering stain on the retaining wall

Makes sense
Could it explode while on normal city use? I never go over 100 inside the city. I knew it was dangerous but I didn't know it was this bad.

You do make a point there.

My people was discovered in 1492. Sorry to disappoint you if Im not who you think I am.

I dont drive fast that often, I dont get the chance because I live in a small town thats why Ive been postponing it but it seems like I should change them asap

Don't change it so we can see your car wreckage in another thread

Replace it.
The carcass is damaged, so the tyre isn't as strong anymore as it's supposed to be. It's going to fail, either today or tomorrow.

I like how the story of the impreza has nothing to do with a bubbled tire

Replace it. It's been four years anyway, the tires look worn just from that photo.
If you get a used car, always change the tires if they don't look fairly new.

What kind of tire is it? If its a Goodyear and its not exactly like your pic, its fine. Goodyears are shit like that and you can feel where the seem where the tire comes together.

That's what people get for buying cars with HotWheels meme wheels and tires. There is no reason for a street car to use

Playing Russian roulette by driving on that shit.

Whats the story of the subbie?

I will change it but if I ever wreck this car (I dont really see how, the engine is the erectil disfunction version of cars) I will post everything.

It is kind of like the pic tho

I dont really know what do you mean by hotwheels meme but they are the stock tires the car came with, my sister bought it brand new.

Also: I didnt hit the curb, it was my sister.

But thanks ey.

Danger is my second name

Picture appropriately represents OP and sister.

>Do you think I can postpone the change if I drive slower or is it just equally dangerous?

OP and most thread posters are forgetting something in their worry about the risk of causing an accident. This something is of critical importance to OP and his estate.

Previous court cases have proven that the precedent exists and continues to be applied where if the driver is deliberately negligent and the condition applies to the accident or injury, the insurance award may be reduced. In cases where the negligent condition is dangerous and applies to the accident, the award may be substantially reduced. In addition, if victims discover that the driver was deliberately negligent, the chance of court defense against other punitive damage assessments is substantially reduced. Your insurance company will not thank you for that because that is where the most expensive insurance awards come from - deliberately substantial negligence threatening the lives of victims. OP shouldn't worry he is uncovered as insurance covers accidents unless they were during commission of a felony, deliberate destruction, terrorism, or act of war (typical exemption clause in insurance contracts).

Therefore, OP needs to hope that the insurance company never finds out that he deliberately CHOSE to keep driving with a dangerous condition. All witnesses need to keep quiet and hide the situation from the police or other accident victims.

>being this new

just buy new tires you cuck how fucking expensive are they

you live in the usa I assume so it's even cheaper there

If you can't afford some cheap decent falkens or hankooks for like 50 each then why do you even have a car

That actually sounds quite bad, Its good to know now that I shouldnt say I knew if something happens int he next few days.
Thanks for the info

Well, Im not completely new but I dont keep up with this board as often as I should.

Im not from the US, tires are more expensive here but even then

>Decent reliable tires for fifty bucks
Im not sure which one of us shouldnt have a car.

Also I can actually afford the tires, I just wanted to use the money for other things because I thought this wasnt such a dangerous issue and people were just exagerating.

>Well, I'm not completely new
obviously you are if you don't recognise that picture kek

>So how actually dangerous are sidewall bubbles on a tire?

Others have commented on personal safety so let's ignore that and talk about something else.

Tires go flat from either leaks or blowouts. For this situation, it will be a blowout. Blowouts typically happen when the car is moving and the chance is increased when the tire is hot (warm pavement, sun heating tire, tire flexing adding to tire heat, road friction adding to tire heat).

Flat tires from slow leaks don't damage the rims, suspension, or suspension joints. A tire blowout at speeds above 20MPH has a good chance of damaging the tire rims. If it is a type of rim that easily crunches up a lot when damaged, that can cause additional damage to parts of the suspension.

Because OP's finances are limited, further damage to the rim or suspension will basically mean the car cannot be repaired until he has enough money to replace the tire and broken rim. If OP veers into other cars due to loss of steering control, his insurance will have to replace their rims. Insurance deductible will not cover OP's rim so OP will always have to cover that himself.

>A bubble in the tire
>most likely damaged tire wall
>Not a dangerous issue
>people telling him it is
>still asking

k

Hankook 185/55's are like £50 each brand new
that would be around 50-60usd in the USA.

>Implying I would lose control

No but really this is a scary reply since I have to travel tomorrow and its really really hot here, specially on the highway.

Im going to use the spare tire tomorrow and change the tire asap.

Thanks to everyone guys.

Mx-5s are for queers.

Well if you are fair to me my sister did use it for 4 years and nothing happened. Then again, she used it for 4 years.

Just bought some one (summer) season used 285 45r22 tyres for me mums Caddy; they look fine but I was looking at the stickers the tyre shop put on when they dismounted them and it says "junk casings" on the description.
Should I be worried?

I'm new to Veeky Forums but I gotta know: How do you know the OP's name is Gina?

calm down Gina

i believe that was a typo for "gona", no one with a penis in his pants is called Gina.

Update: Im hitting the highway again tomorrow so I got a bridgestone of the same size since hankook tires are not even available in my town anymore.

Also: does anybody know which fuse is the right taillight on a sonic
Its nowhere to be found in the manual?

>Yes, it is dangerous
>don't have money for new tires?
>go to reputable tire dealer, buy used for cheap