/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

LOVE edition

> Finished Game Jam (Space)
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

> Next Demo Day (Ten)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud:soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

> Chats
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

> Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

> Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

> Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

> Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

unity3d.com/learn/tutorials
youtu.be/d17JCf65mVs
twitter.com/SFWRedditGifs

Here's the image I was gonna use for the OP.
Happy Space Jam!

OpenGL

here's a snowy research base map from Trigger Spree

And bank interior form a different map

This is my dream

Reposting the mocked up transition from the file select screen to the game proper.

>I must use every single filter

Reposting from previous thread, I have added signs across the level to help the player.

Feels clean

What is the demo day 10 promo vid

Well, I signed up for demo day.

Wrote down three simple game ideas, dropped two and made 2/3rds of a character model. Still needs lower arms and hands, some kinda backpack thrust thing. and six weapons (Three melee, Three ranged)

Then rigging which should be less obnoxious since nothings organic, so most bone weights will be 100%, set limits on rotations. And do some animations.

Bring all this into Unity, and see just how much fast we can get.

I kinda really just wanna know how to make QTE heavy experiences to be honest, I very much enjoyed Vanquish and Ninja Blade

Me from:
We have a secret area with an optional boss in it, the whole area is basically meme shit, so if any one has anything to contribute I can throw it in.

>that looks fucki-
>furry game
Disappointed

Does shitty concept art count as progress?

Trying to decide what kind of look/additude I want for my dancing girl protagonist. Also drew in giant djinn companion user suggested in the last thread because that shit is hilarious to me.

Setting would be that a prince asks for the dancer's hand in marriage, she accepts because she thinks his handsome retainer is the prince, but he turns out to be an ugly fat fuck so she breaks out of the palace PUZZLE PLATFORMER style guided by some mythical creature. I have some ideas about treasures she would find and mechanics that would go with them but keeping that to myself until I'm sure I know how to do it.

It's end up being pixels hit with lots of cute/lewd animations. I want to practice visuals for this project.

Do people like sassy/done with this shit more or spunky/happy?

[/ideafagging]

post the art, i'll give you crit

Seems like a good way to loose your dick

FORGOT IMAGE BECAUSE RETARDED

Go ahead and kill me. I've got no friends, my gf has all but left me (I'm pretty sure she's cheating on me and she's acting incredibly disinterested, so I don't think I'll be seeing her again), and I will never have time to progress on vidyadev. Gotta go to bed already. Have to wake up before 5am to be able to work out and then go work 12 hours at a job I don't really like, and the only coworker I got along with quit.

I've got nothing to live for.

/blog

I kind of liked the musicians suggestions better. It would be hilarious to have these guys following you around playing music while you platform through the levels.

>having had a gf
>ever

pls

Also have it not rotated, fuck my phone.

no

getting kind of a planetisde 1 vibe.

I did not work hard enough today. I'll work harder tomorrow.

I had the idea of a really intense looking Oud player but haven't drawn it yet. I spent three seconds starting it and wasn't digging it.

I'll think about it though, that also sounds hilarious.

Is there any way to tell how many resources a given function is comsuming in C#/unity?
If not, would it be possible to check on the script-level?
I'm having a performance bug that's being an asshole to pin down.

>figure
if you want to do lewds it'll help greatly to do some figure drawing. there are a lot of things you can do with the human form once you understand it that will pump up the sex appeal.

>costume
upper left looks like a flower child from the 60s in imitation native american clothing. i'm not sure if that's what you're going for . botoom looks more like a dancer. I'm not sure which one's supposed to be the djinn desu. find a way to express clearly this through their designs.
remember: respect your audience, but if you can ease the strain on their minds through design that's always good.

I've used GameMaker for a while and know GML reasonably, but I'm interested in Unity and C#. Does any skill from GML translate to make the learning process easier/will it make it more difficult? Where do I even start to learn such a bigger language than my script kiddy shit? It's overwhelming.

>my script kiddy shit
gml is a pretty solid language, bro, if you're good with it, you have nothing to fear when transitioning to a different engine

Yeah, and I want to work on it, but these are going to end up somewhere in the realm of pic related (obvious inspiration is obvious) although a bit less flat color wise. I looked over some quick references for dancer clothing but I'm far from settling on that, more just trying to figure out what kind of attitude she'll have at this point.

the Djinn is the giant eyeball in the window.

Thank you for your critique. I'll do some figure drawing either way, would be good practice and I might find something I can reduce to pixelshit form.

how about the official unity tutorials

unity3d.com/learn/tutorials

do the projects, they're pretty good tutorials.

mfw dialogue portraits

>gml is a pretty solid language, bro
I made sure I insulted it and acted self deprecating to avoid the brunt of shitposters who would mock me for using. It's pretty user-friendly which I like about it.
I mean, like, I know the concepts of it well. I don't have hundreds of functions memorized like some, however. I don't think those matter in other languages anyway.

I'll give them a look. Thanks user. The reason I didn't check already was because GameMaker's official tutorials are ass so I forgot that this exists.

>I know the concepts of it well.
You know the concepts of the programming paradigm 90% of engines use. Congrats man, you're almost there.
>I don't have hundreds of functions memorized like some, however. I don't think those matter in other languages anyway.
That is correct.

idea guy here

minesweeper but memes

>5 views
>5 downloads
>100% view/download ratio

Thanks user.
One more question. Besides fanboy bullshit, is there a legitimate reason to use Unityscript or C# over one or the other, or is it purely personal preference?

Not that user, but C# is a really easy to use language, and I'd say way more tutorials and scripts are written in it.

So what Space Jam games have you all played so far? Your thoughts?

All me, I cancelled the download and never played it but your download count went up

Alright. Guess it's time to dive in! I'll watch a tutorial video or two to get the feel while I download Unity, and will use the official tutorials! Thanks anons!

Anytime, user.
Personal preference, but at this point it's pretty much a C# engine. most resources are made with C# in mind

Nice try user, I know at least one was actually just me downloading it to make sure it worked.

Steamchat here. We gang report posts to get our way. Say goodbye to your post.

Check the Profiler

>literally being a Veeky Forums mafia

You're next.

samefag

Also here is the GameOver screen as for now:

youtu.be/d17JCf65mVs

Most things are working for now, not sure if I should make release Demo with the first level.

(I haven't forgotten about acceleration if you were asking from the previous threads)

your computer talking language is irrelevant, as long as you understand the basics of computin, u can do anyding

keep up the good work user

Yeah sure go ahead, whats your character?

You'll see when I finish drawing it

inb4 its fucking sugardev or some shit

GRAVITIES was also a collab, with a game designer, a programmer, a concept artist, and an outside musician.

As the programmer, having an actual game designer to discuss ideas with was great.

inb4 that furry shiba using it as a buttplug

So I hid out in steamchat like another user said and they really are the worst. Circle jerked eachother like crazy but talked all kinds of shit on any devs in the thread who weren't in steamchat. It made me very sad, they even talked shit about me because they didn't know I was in there!

just ignore them. the only person there who's finished a game is hopoo and he's a sad sad man

Not me doing fanart. Too busy with other work to do things like that right now.

wtf i hate steamchat now

CAVERN KINGS VINE IS THE SNOTTIEST FUCKING CHICK EVER. SHE RIPS OFF OTHER DEVS AND ACTS LIKE IT'S OKAY 'CAUSE SHE GOT THEM THICC OUTLINES

I have over 100% on my real game

>sekrit club circle jerks

what a shock

ey thanks!

thx steamchat but nobody cares about your memes

>talked all kinds of shit on any devs in the thread who weren't in steamchat.
Like who

If I say anymore I'll give myself away. I want to stay incognito

He's just doing some reverse psychology thing to get you in the steam chat because you wanted to check out if they tlaked shit about you.

Can you even read old chat posts if you just join?

no

The mods in steamchat shitpost like crazy but kick everyone else for shitposting it's really weird it's like it sexually excites them to have chatroom power and special privileges

is anyone streaming/recording the space jam games

especially the man with a beautiful voice who played a lot of dd9 games

>Make progress to appear in the recap
>Recap guy dissapear again

post your progress anyway, arino

I think you got your reasons for deving wrong

youtu.be/s9bBSaScdiY

I finished a video playing your games.
Gonna post it again tomorrow, but its finished as its going to be.

I already posted it.
It's just that the recap make me work faster to get something new done every monday, I still work without that, but a bit slower.

>caring about the recap
why
It should have stayed dead.
Just encourages people for the wrong reasons.

your voice. you shouldn't lol.

aw you're really quiet

we all dev for attention (or why the fuck are you posting your game anywhere?)

I need a name for a fictional modern country

Ah, that digs so deep.
My entire dream of being a professional voice actor has ended.
I'm sorry, deleting video now.

Linden

My game is boring? fuck you mate. don't you realize how long it took me to make? You didn't even play it right you total fucking retard. You constantly would click like a fucking dickhead and not at all read anything on the screen. Holy shit I quit making games, this dude is a fucking imbecile of the highest caliber.

Do most of you guys who do 1MA, is it to gedgud to work with a community on a project or you genuinely enjoy it?
If you enjoy it, what keeps you going? To me it feels like a waste of time, since you can be working on a bigger project whose end result will be so satisfying and actually what you envision

Wow don't be that negative.

palestine

Mechapolis.

BTFO

why do you feel the need to continually promote the steamchat with this bullshit?
real irc doesnt even have a link and we're fine with it but yall gotta put together reverse psychology campaigns

Can't play aggy games because I'm on a work trip with no windows PC. Thanks for this, user.

shh
don't mention my IRC to them

The logic will mostly stay the same regardless of language. C# is not as tough as it looks, but something tells me you've got dis.

Which game is yours?

I'm doing 1MA because I dislike deadlines and work at a glacial pace.

It's easier for me to make the game if there aren't other people depending on me to make the game at a certain speed.

explore inc?
the skinner box sim?

i like the game where i have to protect the egg yolk until the egg is properly fried, good job user