Audi S5 4.2L V8

Really interested in picking up one of these used. What hell am I in for other than the typical rampant electrical issues?
>inb4 lol pigfat

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=eTYPcWdcstg
twitter.com/AnonBabble

slower than a mustang

>Slow slow slow
Not to mention reliability is down the drain with any Audi

Coyote motor I suppose. Who cares though? 5 second 0-60 is still way faster than most cars on the road.

Though I must admit audi A5 has the sexiest average look of all cars.
Its nothing super special but neither is it ugly. Its just good or average.

I like it though. Super clean. Most cars today are too busy.

Exactly its simple yet effective. You cannot hate it

>reliability
Yes, I'm aware of that. I'd appreciate some specifics though.

I hate it

I don't understand why less than a second difference is such a big deal to people. You get a way nicer interior with the Audi. I guess people have different priorities though.

Dare you say that again I swear to my mom, or else....

I have a 2009 S5 with 120k miles. Obviously it's a fairly high-mile car but here's some of the issues I've had with it:
>Thermosat stuck closed leaving me in the middle of the Arizona desert driving 20 minutes and then waiting for it to cool down.
>Pic related, transmission dumped fluid everywhere. Was the shop's fault because they didn't tighten the nut but still needed a tow back.
>Shocks needed to be replaced at 110k miles, riding on coilovers now
>Transmission is slow and clunky if A/T, if you use the paddles while driving hard it goes into limp mode
>Occasional misfire on cylinder 4 when driving hard
>Weird clunking sound when going over bumps that I haven't been able to diagnose.

Overall it really hasn't been that bad though. The maintenance isn't terrible for a german luxury car as long as you're somewhat proactive with it. It's certainly not a very fast car by modern standards and the fuel economy kind of sucks, but the interior is nice and I still think it looks excellent outside.

>fuel economy kind of sucks
My friend says he fills his up like three times a week lol

It's not particularly reliable.
For the money you can get:
-Porsche Cayman S
-Porsche 996 Carrera
-BMW m6 v10
-Jaguar XK
-Lotus Elise
-BMW M5 E60 V10
-Maserati 3200GT
-Mercedes Benz SL55 AMG (it's a beast)

>BMW M6 V10
I don't like BMWs but damn the M6 V10 is good value for money.
507HP mfw!

damn he must drive a lot and drive very aggressively

>na car
>hard driving
>limp mode

I hear the v8 s5 is understeering and the supercharged six is slow. Where can you win with this car? It's a beautiful gt, in and out, but it that all there is to this car?

>vag
>understeer
>wrong wheel drive

Would the S4 be a better option? I think the earlier ones were V8.

Audis are shit except for the r8.
Mercedes are more luxurious and older bmws are more sporty.

>Mercedes
Not very familiar with these, but seems like it's kinda hard to find manual :-(

C300 and slk250 were the last ones to have a manual I think.

I really like it.

The V8 in it is a downtuned version of what was in the original R8, so there is that potential.

If you can afford the maintenance, get it.

I will say that my dick moved
youtube.com/watch?v=eTYPcWdcstg

Sound doesn't fit the Audi. Should be on some white-trash pony car.

Other than reliability concerns, my main gripe with it is fuel economy.

14 city / 22 highway?! Brutal.

Just get a Corvette like everyone else.

Because it's marketed as a performance car, shouldn't it perform better than something approximately 15 thousand dollars less?

You're in for this mess.

Yes, that's the FLYWHEEL SIDE OF THE ENGINE.

Coyote 'Stang is the only gen that's faster (assuming we're talking GT). It has a far more powerful engine. How is that a fair comparison?

Regarding the price difference... You're paying for a ton of fancy gadgets and electronic gizmos in the Audi. I also believe general build quality and interior refinement is on another level.

This means nothing to me. I'm mechanically challenged.

>15 thousand dollars less?
What are you talking about? OP said he was buying used. 5.0 Mustangs and V8 S5's are pretty similar pricing on the used market.

My mom (lol) owned a 2-door 6-speed S4 with the 4.2L. It was the only reliable Audi she owned (and she's had 3 since 2002; drives a Range Rover now).

It sounded great, the transmission felt amazing, and the power ramps up nicely at low revs, but it wasn't nearly as fast in any capacity as the STi I owned back then. The STi cost less than half as much, cost less to insure (not a luxury band), was faster, understeered less, had more storage space, had 4 doors with a legit back seat, and could be tuned for cheap. And once you take the spoiler off an STi, it looks somewhat normal.

Unless you just want to look luxury, you can get a better, cheaper car by buying a tuner. And you can get a better, cheaper car, and dat V8 rumble, by buying a Coyote Mustang. If you must have luxury, I'd recommend the SL55 or maybe an SL600.

I've had an 09 for about 3 years now, haven't had a single problem, only changed fluids and rubber.

Is it the fastest for the price? No. Is it super comfy with a nice growl, good to look at, and something not every jabroni and their cousin has? Yes. I'd buy it again.

See those plastic bits the chain wraps around? They wear out over time, and have to be replaced when they do since otherwise you risk grenading the engine.
To change them, the entire engine has to come out, because they're at the back of the engine.

>wanting a vw in a tuxedo
>wanting an unreliable vehicle
>wanting a v8 slower than pig fat American mullet cars
>"enthusiast"
What a faggot you are OP

Timing chain problems are just fuck my shit up levels of autism.

>STI
>even in the same league of performance as an S4
fucking lol

They don't have any timing chain problems. None of them did. People just spaz out from internet images and imagine horror.

>Stock 06 STi (mind you - mine was tuned at 4 psi over stock - I also negated the speed limiter and clocked 173 mph more than once)
2.5L I-4 Turbo --- 300 hp --- 3200 lb
[Motor Trend]
0-60 --- 4.5 s
1/4 mi --- 13.0 s

>Stock '05 S4 Sedan (She had the 2-dr conv. which is even slower)
4.2L V-8 NA --- 340 hp --- 3800 lb
[Car & Driver]
0-60 --- 5.1 s
1/4 mi --- 13.7 s

>0-60 --- 4.5 s
lol

I own a b6 S4 with the same engine as the S5.

It's very expensive to maintain, and very unreliable.

In this year i've had to:
-Replace the Radiator as it cracked
-Redo front suspension
-Replace readiator expansion tank as it was leaking
-Fix electrical issues with the rear taillights
-Replace powersteering lines as one blew and made a massive, expensive mess
-New windshield (not the car's fault, but insurance did not cover it)

and most recently, had to replace the gasket that goes around the oil filter housing, which involed taking the intake manifold out.

The car is now for sale, as the amount of fun it gives me does not warrant the expenses i've had to cope with.

Didn't have any timing chain issues though, but keep in mind the car only has 80k KILOMETERS.

Unless it starts snowing where i live, i'll never buy an audi again.

I gotta say, it's a very comfy car.

I owned mine for 9 trouble free years. You must of bought yours used.

So it's a typo then?

>AWD
>Turbo
>3 limited-slip-diffs
>Summer tires
>1/4 ton lighter than S4
>Gearing made to minimize 0-60 time

...Probably not a typo.

Nice B6 senpai, I am not worthy.

Mate, if you want a golf, just buy a golf

No. I'd believe it.
People underestimate how fast a stock Evo or STi actually is.

>What hell am I in for

getting shit on by amg's

A3 is golf/jetta, a4 is passat based mate

This. There's literally nothing in Volkswagen's lineup which you can compare to A5/S5.

The A5 is an A4 coupe/hatch.

So you're trying to imply that Audi A5 is basically a Passat? Nonsense.

After looking it up, the current gen Passat and A4/A5 aren't on the same platform anymore.
Previous generations did share a platform and the majority of drivetrain components, though.

Regardless, I just don't think someone in the market for an A5 would see anything in VW's lineup and be like... "Ahhh fuck! I could've just bought that and it'd be the same value for less."

The CC, maybe?

Eh.. I just don't see the similarity.