Found this in my area, gonna test drive tomorrow but I'd like some advice before committing...

found this in my area, gonna test drive tomorrow but I'd like some advice before committing. read some mixed reviews online that have me a bit conflicted. anything i should specifically look for tomorrow?
car is a 1987 AMC Eagle 4x4 btw.

Other urls found in this thread:

tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/5550639668.html
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

It's dope, no one else has one, it will be easy to work on yourself, it will turn heads, and it looks means as fuck.

Just pull the trigger if it checks out mechanically

Buy it. Anything wrong can be fixed unless it's been in a wreck.

holy fuark im jealous, would want as a second car

Eagle owner here. Buy it. They aren't unreliable and if something does break they are easy to fix. Plus they are unstoppable in snow.

welp I'm convined, I'll post an update after the test drive tomorrow.

Yea those are shit hot

>They aren't unreliable
The word you are looking for is reliable.

anything specific to support that claim?
genuinely curious.

OP, they like to rust in the frame rails in the back of the front wheel wells. Check those front wheel wells thoroughly, otherwise it's a pain to fix and not really worth it.

I almost bought one for $1500 a while back but decided I didn't have the room and didn't want it to cut into my other project, kind of regretting it now. They are cool and there is nothing like them but I wouldn't spend over $2k for a good one

I found a Spirit on CL for like $3800

tampa.craigslist.org/psc/cto/5550639668.html

thanks for the advice, will be as thorough as possible.

wish i could find a deal like that. I've been scouring my area for a better price on something from this time period. missed out on a clean af 86 mr2 already.

It was not a great era especially for American cars, don't spend too much money just because you like the body lines.

I think user meant replace those "aren't reliable" with "reliable"

my goal was under 5k which is right where it lands. was looking for pre 2000 rwd before, but 4x4 would be great for winter. what would you suggest for a unique affordable 4x4/rwd?

I personally wouldn't pay anywhere near 5k for an Eagle. They have extremely underpowered engines with tons of smog restriction, the build quality overall is poor, a lot of them were used as snow cars, unique is about all they have going for them. When you are buying classics/oddballs you can't confine the search to your own immediate area, you have to be willing to at least look in a 500mi radius, the chances of finding a good deal on a specific car that there aren't many of that just happened to land in your town is next to 0.

thanks for the advice, i was looking within 100mi but i may be able to go out further. might try to talk the dealer down as well.

You're going to get fucked no matter what buying cars like that from a dealer, you should really try to find cars from a private party

>AMC

Pull the trigger. reliable as fuck and easy to fix

i wanna find one with the wood sides to mob on the beach here but like said it looks badass

wait guys, are Eagles really that good? I keep seeing them on Craigslist for pretty cheap and they look cool as fuck. The only reason I haven't pulled the trigger yet is I didn't know their reputation for performance/reliability. Should I just get one?

check if the windows go up and down, they sometimes fail and wont stay up
check if rear hatch actually stays up
>pic related was one I saw, it was a turd on wheels but came with a parts car for $800 CAD for both, also was fully boxed in the packrats garage

it has the amc i6 so its gunna be reliable, I would swap in the i6 from a later xj for a little more power and reliability

My wife wants to get rid of her Passat wagon for something "taller with awd". I've been trying to sell her on an Eagle but so far no luck.