HID Head Lamps

How much better are HID's over halogens? Do they actually give you better visibility? I've got a 05 WRX and was thinking of putting some STI HID head lamps in it because I do lots of night driving out in the country.

Yes, they are much better.
You'll be a huge faggot if you retrofit them, though.
But then again, you already drive a subaru.

They're a lot better but they won't help you from under steering into a ditch

>You'll be a huge faggot if you retrofit them, though.
Why is that, compadre?

Because Veeky Forums is full of people who love to spout what they've read on the internet.

I've used HIDs, come back to Halogens since.
HIDs are good for throwing lots of light around. In good conditions, visibility will be up plenty.
In bad conditions, they're shockingly bad.

I suspect it's because the light output is so blue. You want a yellow light for better poor condition visibility.

Not sure on the law in your country, but in the UK it's illegal to retrofit them without projector lenses as they can dazzle people, but I've known plenty of people fit them into standard housings and not have any issues.

I had a set of quad headlights on my old car. I installed HIDs into the full beams and halogens with a yellow tint film on the dipped units.

Seemed the best of both worlds to me, visibility was great.
On a dark, calm night, HIDs are awesome.

And that's why fog lights exist you colossal faggot. HID and yellow fogs are standard on vehicles who's owners know what they're doing.

Which is great, if your car came with fog lights.
Mine did not.

Sounds like you bought the wrong shitbox

Quite happy with it thanks, foglights weren't a necessity.
For the record, I still don't have foglights, and I definitely own the right car.

Because you dazzle the fuck out of people coming your way.
The only way to properly fit HIDS is
>fit projector lenses
>fit self-levelling system
>fit headlight washers

>says the faggot who literally dazzles everyone who happens to cross him
I don't need to read shit on the internet, I've been dazzled fuckloads of times by people like you.
Faggots like you deserve to be high beamed to hell and back.
And read what I wrote above. That's the proper way to retrofit them.
If you didn't do everything above the only way you pass MOT is either by being friends with the inspector, greasing his hand or he just happens to be blind as a bat.

No, to legally retrofit them in the UK you only require projector units.
If you are a manufacturer fitting HIDs to a factory car, they require the other bits.

Either way, retrofitting them into standard light units isn't so bad so long as you take care. I drove for 2 years and was never pulled or flashed for my lights. Technically though, yes this is an MOT fail. If you're a cunt, it's also very easy to blind people.

Do you seriously think I drive a car like my FD, low and with a ridiculous windscreen rake, and don't worry about lights?
You don't need to full beam me mother fucker, your dipped beams already blind me.
In reality though, do you not find factory HIDs to be worse? I sure do. They change hue as they pass you, they flash, judder etc.
I've never found the aftermarket ones to be an issue, whether coming towards me or if I've had them fitted myself.

That is not true, there was hid reflector housing stock from the factory on some cars. They have a metal shield and end caps creating a solid cut off line like a projector, the problem arises when you're putting in a naked hid with no end caps, you get crazy scattering that looks like shit and blinds everyone

Also cut the macho Veeky Forums bullshit mate, I'm here to discuss, not argue. We're not 13 years old

Wow, what a shitheap. Congrats on your rice

Claiming my name back since we've got more posters in here now

Not sure if it'd make a difference, but all my HID builds have been in old style round glass units, 7.5" and 5.75" units. I've never installed them into shaped modern units.
That said, I've had plenty of retrofitted HIDs shined in my eyes, and don't find them any more blinding than halogen units

see
Adults move on from things they don't like mate, they don't look for more arguments

nice car man I never thought those kind of wheels would look good on an FD but they do.

sleepy popups kinda ruin the look though.

Cheers man. I don't do sleepy eyes often, but I was at Japfest, going around Silverstone track. Had to do something to make me stand out from the others!

Adults also don't drive body kitted shitheap four bangers. Children with a hard on for Paul Walker do

And I do mean plenty of others!

What bodykit? I've got rear spats, the rest is standard.
It's not a 4-pot engine either. Do you not know what a rotary engine is?

Stop liking what i dont like!!!!

My car could be specced HIDs but this was when HIDs didn't require by law auto-levelling motors or projector lenses.