/dfg/ Dwarf Fortress General

"Crawling through the intestines of Page 10" edition
Previous thread >Download the basic game here. Current version is Dwarf Fortress 0.43.05
bay12games.com/dwarves/

>Official forums:
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php

>Find a bug? Don't tell us! Tell Toady! Complaining in the thread will accomplish nothing.
bay12games.com/dwarves/mantisbt

>Have a question? Check the wiki first:
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/Main_Page

>Fireden archived threads:
boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/Dwarf Fortress/

>Dwarf Therapist (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=122968.0

>DFHack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=139553.0

>Starter Pack (Out of Date):
bay12forums.com/smf/index.php?topic=126076.0

>More DF stuff:
pastebin.com/AnsHjQ40

>Dwarf Fortress General IRC chat:
en.irc2go.com/webchat/?net=freenode&room=dwarffortress
(to connect yourself: webchat.freenode.net #dwarffortress)

>A bunch of guides to various parts of fort-based living:
imgur.com/a/nGyRF#0

>Video tutorials:
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLBrdUj1adIBD-vgUodaaxebcdqQ4oEWtg
youtube.com/playlist?list=PLD1A3FE72C0DCAC66 (Dated, but good)

>Text tutorials:
dwarffortresswiki.org/DF2014:Tutorials
members.iinet.net.au/~morty/Getting_Started_with_Dwarf_Fortress.pdf

>This pasta:
pastebin.com/iAduXzjn

Strike the earth!

Other urls found in this thread:

youtube.com/watch?v=rV-0PCIhaF0
thestonedgamer.com/interviews/item/863-simulate-your-very-own-fantasy-universe-looking-at-a-decade-of-dwarf-fortress
dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tilesets#Installation
twitter.com/SFWRedditImages

They fall.

youtube.com/watch?v=rV-0PCIhaF0

>the caravan is leaving soon
>my apologies, we're still unloading

The past three caravans have been this

The fuck is this
I need to export wealth or I won't get the migrants I need
Do I need to reconstruct my depot or am I just fucked

thestonedgamer.com/interviews/item/863-simulate-your-very-own-fantasy-universe-looking-at-a-decade-of-dwarf-fortress

inorite

Also, last thread someone asked about syndromes causing emotions and such.

From the raws for booze:
[CE_CHANGE_PERSONALITY:FACET:BASHFUL:-50:FACET:PRIVACY:-50:FACET:BRAVERY:25:FACET:CONFIDENCE:25:FACET:POLITENESS:-25:FACET:THOUGHTLESSNESS:25:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES:START:10:PEAK:120:END:480:DWF_STRETCH:4]
[CE_FEEL_EMOTION:EMOTION:EUPHORIA:SEV:75:PROB:100:SIZE_DILUTES:START:10:PEAK:120:END:480:DWF_STRETCH:4]

no. you'll have to put it somewhere else, maybe in one of the rooms that faces the other direction

Do siege weapons work well against the circus?

Incidentally, whichever user: was talking about, if you don't have any mods, grab a fresh copy of the vanilla game and swap the raw/objects folder into your save, then if you want you can open up data/init/d_init.txt and set the tree/column tile to 255 instead of 10 or whichever it is now.

> dwarf claims craftdwarf's workshop
> "I must have Plant cloth!"
> "I must have Silk cloth!"
> oh shit better get the textiles industry running
> dig down to caverns just to find some plants to make cloth
> find spider webs / plants
> Dwarf goes berserk literally seconds before i finish weaving thread into cloth

forgive me Mosus Letmosibesh, i have failed you

I've heard of people using candy-coated ballista bolts before, presumably that would have a pretty decent effect. major pain in the ass to set up though, and even if you funneled the clowns down a couple of 3x3 hallways with the triple ballista setup, you might not kill them all before the operators panicked and/or died
catapults are useless

>3x3
sorry, months of repeating that meme have got me typing that subconsciously every time I get near the 3 key
I meant 3-wide

>implying it's not good to use and/or limited to one user per thousand years.

FUCK. I was chillin' exploring a catacomb when this happened. I also know exactly who disturbed the mummer(incidentally the mummy of one of the first law-givers of my civ).

See, the mummy chamber was placed just by the entrance from the temple, so you just had to open one door to reach the mummy. While I stayed clear of it, I accidentally let a few stray cats in when I opened the door. Then this happened. I already see red '!'s in the main hall of the temple, so I'm not expecting a pretty sight.

I got what you meant. The idea was to just make a z-level wide 3tile path filled with ballista. I dunno if I'll have enough candy, but steel plus 3 ballista, then allow them to fire as much as possible. Maybe a second level that does the same, then my normal combat dorfs.

Anyone got some good music to play df to?
Just put new strings on my classical and I'm looking for things with that sort of tone. Thinking of making a few tracks of my own to fit the atmosphere.

FUCK.

>Build entrance into a lonely hill in the middel of a large grassland

>Fortified the top of the hill make traps and stuff inn the corridor beneath

>Huge invasion of goblins comes they run into the entrance and gets stoned and caged

>they run for the exit and gets peppred by the marksmen on the hill

>entire goblin force obliterated by a few traps and some marksmen

first invasion that i managed to subdue inn a organized manner guess that a start

(it's my tileset, I'm happy that others like it, just noticed they had raws from a different graphics set and trees)

Will this human poet I let in do any actual work?

NOT VERY COMFY IS IT NOW!

All this just because of a few cats.

he'll make your dwarves happier.

do bolts need weighty material to do well or sharp material? would candy, steel or silver be ideal?

If they petition to stay you can assign labors like normal.

If you wanna help that one being killed, sprint into one on the top right attacking them, don't aim any attacks (might freeze) and jump straight down to tackle the zombies off of them.

he'll do DICK for a year (I think? maybe 2?), then he'll petition for citizenship, at which point he will start doing work

Weighty and stiff materials which are hot enough to boil blood are the best.

>tfw you run back to the adults when your little spelunker game goes wrong, but they turn out to be just as powerless as you are

What can I do with skulls that is useful?

I wonder where the law-giver mummy went, though. If she's still in the dungeon, then killing the corpses above ground should be enough. If she's in the town, then we've got problems.

all you can do is turn them into totems (craftsdwarf's workshop, bone carving labour)
which are useless, but can be sold

Probably cursed one of the cats that woke her and then did the weird glitchy teleport out into the world thing.

If you walk into a tomb and pick something up, you can save and the mummy disappears, but you'll bump into them later out roaming around possibly, so be careful.

That's badass

That sucks, I guess I will just make them.

I know it will probably end as soon as I fast travel away or sleep, but lets linger around a bit and see how bad it can get.

>slaughtering camp full of goblins takes 2 minutes
>chasing down all the stragglers around it takes 2 hours

Werebeast infections are overpowered as fuck

I'm so used to that meme that I didn't even notice that what I was reading shouldn't make sense. I visualized a 3 wide hallway. This fucking board...

They're not. You just have to know how to prepare for them. If someone gets infected, you need to know how to use quarantines properly, but that's it.

Before I could deal with the infection, shortly after the fight (could not have been longer than a week) a dwarf transformed on the stairwell and killed half my fortress in seconds

Not really. They're like an early game skill check. If you're getting your shit pushed in by werebeasts you need to improve. Start working on military and passive defenses earlier.

goddamn, what type of werebeast was it? must've been something terrible like a wereelephant.

...or... a weremammoth.

>THE stairwell
If you only have one stairwell, that's a serious bottleneck in your fort layout, and you kinda brought this upon yourself.

>could not have been longer than a week
Nope, it may not be exactly a month(since the transformation lasts for several days), but it should at least be three weeks. You had more than enough time. The transformation dates are the same for everyone.

Every tutorial I've seen from Captain Duck has a central stairwell

It was only a werechinchilla,

I don't know who that is, but from the experience I've gathered through the years I've been playing, having bottlenecks in your layout slows production down, ad the cramped space makes shit like the aforementioned happen.

Could you give me an example of a good design? I always thought vertical access allowed for the least distance between areas.

a 3x3 stairwell spine is so efficent though.

I'm not saying you shouldn't have any stairways at all. I'm just saying that it's better to have several stairways spread out over the fort, rather that having one large ditto. Just having several bigger stairwells is a big improvement.

I put a statue in the middle of the 3x3 stairwell to generate a good thought every step up and down too

>Embark in Joyous Wilds
>Colony of honey bees and clay right next to my wagon
Time to get comfy

They can be disastrous if you let them spread, but all you really need to do is lock up the hospital until, if there's multiple cases, they've killed each other, then you let the militia wait outside the door until the last one turns.

This comfy? (comfyanon has a set with other track tiles instead, not sure if they decided which they like most yet)

I decided to go with my own solution. Not because I dislike yours, but because I had already fixed minor errors in my own version after posting the one your version was made from. I also prefer having a version for which I still have my original gimp file available(although I could just copy your tiles over).

>first ever fortress
>everything is going pretty well
>decide to make a drawbridge in case goblins attack
>dig a hole in front of my main entrance
>start building a bridge
>miners outside of fortress but whatever, they'll get in when the bridge will be done
>dwarf can't access bridge
>have to make a new hole in the mountain to let my miners come back
>they don't dig
>check them and realize they are both unconscious
>they die
>can't make more pickaxes because no metal
>can't get metal because no miners
>all my dwarves are stuck inside

That's how I lost my first fortress, you can all laugh at how shit I am now.

Good to know, I'm not sure how the ones that fought it got out of the medbay so fast.

This is the layout, I'm not sure how to be more efficient/safe so if anyone that has better designs could share a couple I obviously have a lot to learn

Oh and I'm having serious trouble coaxing the engraver dwarf to actually smooth anything. I had to turn every kind of hauling off to get him to work

For the first level of the pit it's a good idea to dig a channel and leave the ramps so dwarfs can walk in/out while the bridge is being constructed

I dig a channel then build the bridge then remove the ramps facing into the fort

I can dig it, the .xcf was just what you see with those tiles floating so I could rotate them.

How do you go exploring in adventure mode without getting wreked by billions of boogiemen at night?

>reanimated scale
>can't hit it
>it can't hit

brilliant

Motherfucker is just trucking along. He's "very rarely sick", I didn't know that disease resistance affected poisons as well. He's been bitten by regular cave spiders too and has had no ill effects.

Disabled bogeymen, they're boring when you're running around with modded buffs and facing modded critters, since you can't mod the regular bogeymen.

get frens 2 follo u
sleep indoors

I understand the indoors part, but making the multi month trek between cities makes that part really hard. They run (fly?) super fast.

They do fly, and they aren't that fast outside of vanilla, may have noticed my speed was 9.9/10 in that shot. Just unretired this character to keep rolling time forward more and see if I can push an age change.

What do you do to get strong?

So how exactly do you mark items to be used by taverns/temples?

Mods yo, besides that you can use stuff like becoming a vamp necromancer and whatnot.

You don't.

You put coffers in the tavern and temple, and the dorfs will place the relevant items(here mugs and instruments) there automatically, similar to how hospitals work.

Is it possible to found an entire civ as an adventurer?

no

So.

Apparently, I unwittingly embarked into an extinct civilization.

My civ has no leaders in its screen and no outpost liason. I got the first two dorf waves--15 hardy souls all told.

We have settled in a land both gentle and fruitful. Literally fruitful. The place is positively choked with fruit bearing trees of every distinction. Metal is abundant.

I shall raise a grand chateau. I will make this the greatest tavern the world has ever seen. They will know that the Lancers of Gazes lives on.

Will I eventually get one of my dorfs promoted to monarch?

I have some troubles with my stockpiles. Even thought they are flooding with fknished goods and cut gems, my gemsetters cant/wont use the items to do their work. Are my stockpiles bugged? Dorfs also stopped using bins and now all my treasures are spilled one square at a time

>no dwarf caravans, liaison, or migrants for three years

Did they all die or what
The leaders still show up on my civs screen and there's like five of them.

>Will I eventually get one of my dorfs promoted to monarch?

it's likely, yes. I don't know exactly how the game decides when this happens, I've had it happen almost RIGHT at the start before, sometimes it's after a year. occasionally it never happens, I think that means the king is still alive wandering the wilds somewhere, but I'm not sure

there's a small chance your migrants will stop arriving at about 20 pop. not sure what causes that either, if I was to guess I'd say your civ had enough living members (not sites) that it didn't trigger the "totally dead" mechanic that generates a full fort of new dorfs. but I don't really know

Mine usually look like this, lots of branching staircases and ramps everywhere, with rooms build around/between them. usually every industry branches off whatever connection looks like it has enough space and is pretty self-contained with bedrooms, dining rooms, etc...

I usually build a few forts too, one in the soil, one in the rocks, one in the caverns, one down by the manga sea, like little interconnected villages each specializing in something different but mostly self-sufficient. Sorting dwarves into different groups is a pain in the ass, but only when making new villages, sorting new migrants is pretty easy.

It's HELL to remember where everything is and what you're doing(I was building a pumpstack near a dining room, but WHICH dining room? Oh well, I'll just build one here too) which leads to all sorts of half-completed tunnels everywhere and lots of awkward jerry-rigged connections, but that's half the fun.

Invasions are also FUN when you can lose an entire seige somewhere and have no idea where they went until you decide to renovate one fo the wells and 40 goblins pour out of the walls.

Spoke too soon. My expedition leader just declared herself Queen.

Fucking forgot the picture

so this is dwarf fort huh

>gem demon vs 6000 humans
>gem demon won
Well shit.

Merchants just ignored my fault because the site is allegedly inaccessible. UI says it's fine. What do?

only 10 deaths, pussies must have fled when they realised they couldn't injure a gem demon.

So my werechameleon hermit is minding his own business taming some crundles, when this troll comes along and knocks over his craftsdwarf shop. Nobody knocks over Avuz's craftsdwarf shop but Avuz, and only on the full moon. Well, trolls are pretty big, and Avuz wasn't very tough even before he became a werechameleon, so it's taking a long fucking time to kill the troll. I can just hear Avuz muttering to himself "Just you wait til the full moon, buster." while he ineffectually bashes this troll in the head with his -crundle bone crossbow-.

"Any minute now..." It's the 16th of Malachite, only one day to go, and this literal snow ball shows up to join the fight. It doesn't even have an ability. I figured Avuz would eventually die to a forgotten beast, but it looks like it won't be this month. I hope Olnge doesn't make it over until Avuz transforms, the fight will be more fun that way.

>snow creature right next to a magma pipe

We've got 4 of them at this depth, 1 for each cavern layer and the volcano tube going (almost) to the surface. Olnge made questionable decisions suffered the consequences.

A true ant colony.

What's the name of that tileset, anyways?

>toady will never add boats, fishing creature fish and boatfort mode

Raving Maniac.

>except Toady has said he will be doing just that

Didnt he talk about boats in one of the talkback threads on the forums

Toady says a lot of things user. Doing them before I kill myself because of shit life that's is another thing entirely.

Ah, yeah, if you anhero out of it then from your perspective it may as well never happen.

Is this it? The up-to-date version? Does it require a new save/world?

Yes. Normal tilesets don't require updates, though graphic occasionally do (sort of). You can change your tileset/graphics/color scheme as often as you like without needing a new world.
Instructions: dwarffortresswiki.org/index.php/DF2014:Tilesets#Installation

>embark
>magnetite, tetrahedrite, and native platnum immediately visible
This is gonna be good

The Ettin Itur Isonidek has come!
A giant humanoid monster with two heads.

Pause the video if you want to read the combat reports. I tried to get them all in the video but still keep a low filesize.

>low filesize

AND IT FUCKING CRASHED RIGHT BEFORE I SAVED IT