Does it hurt the car to rest your hand on on top of a manual shifter? I've been told it's detrimental...

Does it hurt the car to rest your hand on on top of a manual shifter? I've been told it's detrimental, but I'm not sure if that's true.

Are you supposed to grab it like a baseball, or grab it like a dick/penis?

Other urls found in this thread:

youtu.be/_cbZlhduYJY
twitter.com/NSFWRedditImage

Did it all the time on my Civic before I sold it at 154k miles. No issues.

Is it bad to coast in neutral?

Was wondering this as well.

No. There will be autistics though who insist on downshifting through every gear.

when it's in gear it might wear the shift fork, but not in neutral.

Oh here we go again

Damage is very minimal.

How can a shift fork be significantly worn by the weight of just a hand? Isn't that poor design? Or am I missing something?

I used to do it in my S2000 until some kid in a toyota made me spin out.

Did it all the time for over 100k km and nothing happened.
t. Hypermiler

over a very long period with a very fat hand

No, it just wastes a tiny amount of fuel.

Legit the most skilled racer in the series that didn't have plot armor or supernatural abilities.

You're permanently pressing the fork against the gears whereas normally it wouldn't touch the gears at all.
It won't cause damage immediately but slowly wear the fork over time.

Passed my test recently in the UK and my instructor was fucking adamant that I never coast because I have less control of the car. I dont feel like I do. Could any of you justify this? Fuck wasting fuel, I dont care about the economy and it's something I've paid for so fuck it.

To be fair, I gave no thought to it because I didn't give a fuck about the car. It did last though! Original clutch...

Your actual brakes are far better than any advantage engine braking gives you in parallel to them, so coasting to a stop is fine if you don't care about the extra fuel and its what suits you.

For me, I meant when coming to a stop. I never just randomly threw it into neutral on the highway. Did this for years and never "lost control."

It completely depends on the situation. If you were to stop shortly after coasting, staying in gear for fuel cutoff would be more efficient.
But if you coast on a slightly downhill or flat road the distance you roll further without engine braking is far more fuel efficient than the tiny amount you save with fuel cutoff.

Nah I don't think I'd ever put it into neutral like that. I clutch before brake all the time when I'm coming to a stop though, i just find it easier at junctions and that

Saying that though I've always driven where I'll leave it in whatever gear I was in before stopping and only depress the clutch just before it gets to roughly 1500 rpm.

Cycling through gears and disengaging/reengaging your clutch needlessly just makes you look a bit of a twat.

Whatever works for you mang

>I don't feel like I do. Could any of you justify this?
Lol, you're retarded if you don't understand what he's talking about.

You've never actually driven a car, or live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and have a learning disorder.

Yea but hypermiling is something most people don't do.

In an AWD car, or so I've heard

>You've never actually driven a car, or live in the middle of bumfuck nowhere and have a learning disorder.

Go on then, explain why you need engine braking in day to day driving (no, not trucks on lengthy slopes with switched exhaust brakes, your actual car).

this guy.

at least others gave him valid answers. fuck off back to /b/

Is it really that hard to quickly throw it into gear?

For long periods of time? Yes.
If you're just about to stop? No.

It's not bad for the car, but it's a bad driving habit.

Unfortunately.
>mfw 60 MPG US in a completely stock 17 year old terbodiesel wagon

>Go on then
Alright, fine. I'm not one for holding out information, even from dumbasses.

Any instance which requires stopping within a reasonable distance. Floating around in neutral increases the stopping distance. I'm sure you can imagine a few scenarios where it may prove useful to decelerate slightly faster than normal.

I try to drive efficiently in my dd, half the time speeding gets you nowhere quicker anyway. But coasting around on hills is too much imo.

The guy is talking about pulling up to a traffic light or stop sign though.

>what is clutch+brake emergency stop

Retard here, what's the difference between switching to neutral and braking vs clutching + braking? Aren't you effectively in neutral when the clutch is depressed? And what offers best braking power, braking in gear (then depressing clutch as engine starts to shudder and/or downshifting) or braking in neutral?

Depend on how fast you're going. I don't have to use my brakes quite a bit because I downshift often. Engine braking is pretty good if you can judge it right. Especially on high ways with exiting. I usually go down a spiral exit that suggests 25 mph, and if I do it right I can go from 60 to 30 without touching my brakes like most the people I see.

Otherwise I still keep it in gear as I'm braking most the time unless I'm going 20mph. Keeping it in gear really helps my braking distance than if I just threw it in neutral. Depends on the gear and speed you are going however.

How about a traffic light in the wet?
There are loads of situations where being in full control of your deceleration is useful. I'm not saying he needs to switch sequentially down every gear to a full stop. I'm saying you just don't see a red light, flick the car into neutral and coast around. What if a pedestrian falls down on the road near the intersection? You are likely not able to stop in time.

To get ultimate breaking, it would be best to slam it down to a lower gear while breaking. But that takes time.
If you are emergency breaking, just slam your feet on the clutch and break, much quicker and easier.

I'm going with braking in gear and throwing it in neutral l/clutch before around 1000 revs I would say. If I'm in a higher gear I try to down shift, but if I can't so it I'll just keep it in the current gear before it gets too low then throw it in neutral.

This.

It's basically the same thing, it's just if you are in gear until you end up needing to clutch in, you have engine braking working with you until the last minute.

Either works, I just don't agree that you always need to be in gear.

Saw this video on engineering explained
youtu.be/_cbZlhduYJY

RIP in peace paul walking

Because you might have to accelerate at some point and if you're out of gear you won't be able to. You should have complete control over the vehicle at all times.

Fucking lawl. Saved.

>Fuck wasting fuel
except you waste more fuel coasting than you do simply letting off the throttle and engine braking. Letting off the gas pedal closes the throttle and shuts off the fuel injectors, with the forward motion of the car turning the engine through it's stroke cycle via the transmission being linked up to the cars wheels. Putting the car in neutral requires the engine to inject fuel to keep the pistons and crankshaft moving because the transmission is no longer linked to the wheels, so the engine will eventually stop turning over if the fuel is cut off the way it is when you're off the throttle in gear.

Wat. The fork connects to shift linkage in many cars, miatas aside. Pushing it down will not do anything, it probably wouldn't transfer any force to the transmission for most vehicles.

It can if you're putting pressure on the bearings, like pulling on it just a little until there's resistance. It's very minor, and unless your transmission is utter shit it should be fine, but keeping your hand off the shifter is a better habit.

Yes, you'll wear the shift forks.
Look at your shift know when you're driving. See it wiggling a bit? Now you get it.