Older bigger pickup or newer and smaller?

So Veeky Forums, I currently own a jeep liberty and I need to purchase a pickup truck for work in the coming months. I originally was looking at a 2006-2008 dodge dakota, but now im looking into maybe an older 2500 ram or a ford f250, maybe around 2000 to 2002 year wise. What is your suggestion Veeky Forums? Should i go with a newer mid sized pickup? or an older larger pickup? Or do you have any other suggestions? Mainly i need a truck with 4 wheel drive, automatic transmission, a tow capacity of atleast 5000 (looking more to get a 6000 capacity) and a good sized payload, extended cab or crew cab is a must. Looking to keep this under 10k, but closer to 7 or 8 if I can. Thanks in advance guys.

Tacoma. Any year.

Why? They aren't going to supply you a work truck?

I own my own business, so i have to supply my own work truck haha.

We'll if repairs are tax deductible I'd get a new 6.7 powerstroke.

Otherwise I'd get a 7.3 powerstroke or cummins 5.9

Under 10k

like a brand new 2016 truck? thats way too much money man. im not making enough to afford a brand new truck

OK so wait a while and spend 12-15k on the 7.3 or cummins

i cant afford a new truck at all, im shooting for around 7k or 8k, 10k is if I found a great condition truck that was an absolute steal at 10k.

The main purpose of this thread was just to see if people would rather purchase a newer mid sized pickup, or if people would want 10 or 15 year old pickup truck that was a big heavy duty truck of the time. The main thing keeping me away from the older bigger trucks is the maintenance costs and repairs, but some people say the older trucks have alot less too them, so maybe itll be less repairs. im just seeing what you all think.

What are you going to do with this truck?

Make money fuck bitches

Landscaping, i own a landscaping company, been working out of a trailer and my liberty, but having the liberty is such a pain, if i wanna even take some grass clippings away with me i have to rearrange my whole trailer, not to mention the jeep liberty isent gonna last too long if i keep towing alot with it.

What's on your trailer?

equitment, its an enclosed trailer, ive got mowers, trimmers, hand tools, saws, all kinds of stuff, but for debris removal i only have room for 1 barrel or so, which works for small trash and sticks, but when im hauling leaves or if im taking a small tree down theres no where to put it. last time i did leaves i ended up filling my whole trailer with it and it was hell.

Deez Nutz

05-06 Tundras are just great trucks. That's my vote, an/o/n.

looking at some right now, right aroun 9k or so, il definetly look into these more cuase they seem like good trucks, do you have one yourself?

Anyone have any other info or opinions on whether they would prefer a larger older truck, say a 2000 f250 or ram 2500, or a newer midsize truck, say a 2006 dodge dakota.

speaking from experience, if it's just you, a silverado/sierra from the later 90s can work wonders and last bretty long miles if treated correctly. Long 8' bed to carry anything, cheap caps easily available on Craigslist if you need one too. just my 2 cents tho

do you mean one of the bigger ones? like a 2500 or 3500? or just a normal 1500?

I do. 134,000 miles and going strong. Haven't had to do anything to it except water pump at about 90k

Not OP but I'm considering buying a Jeep Comanche. Does anyone know if the repair costs are high or low?

I also have an 06 Tundra with 138k and still running great, get the double cab if anyone will be sitting in the back besides little people and kids

just look for one that's had the timing belt/water pump changed out at 90k+, or plan on the $400-1k for having it done, as well as the recall for the ball joint and the recent air bag, and depending where you live, the frame rust recall.....shit....sounds like I just made the argument not to look at one

great truck though

Good for an older diesel they can rack up well above 200k with standard maintenance

I had an '08 Dakota. (4.8l v8 4x4)

Transmission guaranteed to fail at around 100k miles, but the 545rfe shift solenoid pack is fairly cheap.

It drove well, had plenty of power and mileage wasn't too bad. Got a ton of compliments on it, constantly, for some reason. It was a solid little truck, minus the transmission, and not too expensive. (Bought it for 2.5k, fixed the trans, threw tires on it for 3k, sold it for 8.5k)

Yes, I have an 06 Double Cab, 132k on it. Love it, absolutely a great truck. Regular maintenance is a breeze.