/agdg/ - Amateur Game Dev General

Play Space Games Edition.

>Space Jam is over. Play games and leave feedback.
itch.io/jam/agdg-space-jam

>Next Demo Day (X)
itch.io/jam/agdg-demo-day-10

Helpful Links: tools.aggydaggy.com/# (Still in beta, as if that's an excuse)
New Threads: Archive: boards.fireden.net/vg/search/subject/agdg/
SoundCloud: soundcloud.com/groups/agdg-audiofriends

>Previous Demo Days
pastebin.com/X6fLvtzA

>Previous Jams
pastebin.com/hVhvNWLw

>Chats
discord.gg/chquY2e
steamcommunity.com/groups/vgamedevcrew
webchat.freenode.net/?channels=vidyadev

>Engines
GameMaker: yoyogames.com/gamemaker
Godot: godotengine.org/
Haxe: haxeflixel.com/
LÖVE: love2d.org/
UE4: unrealengine.com/what-is-unreal-engine-4
Unity: unity3d.com/

> Models/art/textures/sprites
opengameart.org/
blender-models.com/
mayang.com/textures/

>Free audio
machinimasound.com/
freesound.org/browse/
incompetech.com/music/
freemusicarchive.org/

Other urls found in this thread:

strawpoll.me/10893709
poal.me/ojtspe
randallized.itch.io/rocket-xeno
en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley#In_computer_animation_and_special_effects
youtube.com/watch?v=DiIoWrOlIRw
pastebin.com/iafqz627
youtube.com/watch?v=ILacgSf1vck
twitter.com/NSFWRedditVideo

REAL NEW:

why is your game not furry?

Does anyone need a free art slut? I want the practice and to experiment with different styles.

I do 2D and 3D

strawpoll.me/10893709

So I've been looking at Godot Engine and am considering moving to it from Gamemaker Studio. Is this a good idea? Everyone here seems to use gamemaker for 2D stuff. I know that gamemaker is easier for beginners, but are there any real reasons to use it over godot?

254x82
random desert stuff for WW1/WW2 horror game

yeah everyone looks fine in the animation viewer though its all fucked up in the actual game when i try running

I M&M-ified my water, so you can walk on it but you take damage, which is "drowning". To get this in a reasonable state I had to change my clock from ticking ever 5 minutes to every 1 minute, so that's a thing now. To avoid taking water damage, you can cast Water Walk or level up the Swimming skill. These exist in the game, but they're not functional yet. I also want to add a check that only causes you to drown if the water you're in is over 200cm deep.

I also made it so enemies no longer can walk on water. At some point I may have sea creature enemies so I'll figure out how to do that when the time comes.

That's all for tonight though. I'll finish it up tomorrow.

100% silky smooth realism

I don't know how to model characters, only environments

always happy to see your updates fampai

Do you always use 'int', user? I usually just use floats and ints, but now I'm wondering if I should replace my ints with shorts, since I knew they won't over go the limit. Are there any guide lines for this?

also, last major mechanic thing - storage of unique items, both equipable by soldiers and fluff things
post artifact ideas

>tfw you have broken something deep inside of your game

and something deep inside breaks inside of yourself aswell

Remember to vote in the official poll to decide the next jam.

poal.me/ojtspe

it doesn't really matter these days on pc unless you're using them to create save files

post dev music

Comfy Forest Loli Stealth Jam. Fund it.

randallized.itch.io/rocket-xeno

So now that it's space jame and more people downloaded my spacegame, does anyone who played it have a comment on difficulty?

It's hard for me to tell if the game is too hard, since as the dev I know all the secrets to the game so I know what to expect and can clear it pretty easily. I'm wondering if it's the same for everyone else.

need to put in a better shotgun blast sprite and a crashed motorcycle sprite.

These are all shit themes that will only end up in pretty much the same games as every other jam, just with different sprites.

Have you set your model to humanoid?
Are you sure your playing the right animation?
Are you using IK?

Ok I'll whip something up for you

>literally just woke up
>already angry

yes
yes
only in the legs

Smooth those verts

>waah I'm an uncreative fuck! but it's not my fault, it's the theme's fault

is this the sister of that other animation abomination from some years back

TODAY'S DEBATE: What happened to the uncanny valley?
No one mentions it anymore even for things that clearly would have been defined as such in the past. Historically uncanny valley works en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uncanny_valley#In_computer_animation_and_special_effects are now being redefined by revisionists in 2016 as perfectly fine looking. Were so many uncanny valley works made on big production value projects that it simply became normalized to the point that no one notices anymore?

Can't we just stop with the jams every 2 weeks? I want to participate but I also want to work on my main game.
Next month there's DDX, and after that there's Halloween Jam. Can't we leave it like that?

Your game has a let's play gameplay from some youtuber right?

Next jam comes after DDX. And DDX is all about your main game. Relax pal.

Wait, who said the next jam will be in 2 weeks? I thought we are voting for the jam theme of October.

sold like shit. played fairly shit. Forgotten in the sands of time among many other indie games.

hmm
can you post video of the animation while in play and in editor?

No.

TODAY'S DEBATE: When will Gogem post fresh progress of his games?

post game dev related things faggot

we got over it

Guys, tell me the steps of making a working model.

Googling returns me just a bunch of tutorials about making fucking wireframes. What are the other steps besides making the wireframe?

Isn't October set on Halloween Jam so on the 31st we play spooky games all night?

i re-imported the model, seems to be functioning normally now

>that walk animation

l bet you're not even using IK bones. Just use a mechanim animation for the love of god

that image doesnt explain this

youtube.com/watch?v=DiIoWrOlIRw

but before that learn some basic modeling stuff

i followed different tutorials, most of which were wrong. until i found my own way of doing things not-retardedly

I think people have gotten less sensitive to it, and modelers and texture artists have gotten better.

That image looks weird and bad, but not because it's too close to reality, it's that it's cock-eyed and the skin looks strange and the nose is wonky. The fingers are too thin between the knuckles, too. It looks like a very high tech but not particularly artful animatronic robot, not "a person but 'off' "

Like if you asked someone who's REALLY GOOD at 3d modeling but very bad at character/figure/gesture art in general to make a human. Which, really, was what was happening.

First of all, even if I understand the term, it's stupid. I can not believe they couldn't think of any better expression for this phenomena.

What happened is Japan, plain and simple. Just like you can tell which cartoon is western and which is eastern, you can tell which animation is from Japan and which is from the west. As people got used to anime, they also got used to Japanese 3D.

For me it's mostly the eyes, it's like they are lacking any life

Where is that one game you were working on ?
You talk to much

Choose an OP pic that has something to do with the thread next time, faggot

I can already model ugly wireframe things.

Its just that the framework I use is quite old and seems to want models that are a bit more than a simple mesh.

>gamedev isn't related to gamedev
ok fag

so a friend was like "make the screen resizeable and moveable" for a while and i had no clue how hard it would be to reconcile with how I made the surface draw.

turns out really easily.

(Me)

i wished i had watched these instead of the ones i learned from . these are good tutorials, im skimming though it

good luck user

It's an anime about cute girls who are making video games.
/agdg/ is a general dedicated to video game creation, where most people like lewdness and cute grills.
/agdg/ is also a general on Veeky Forums, which is essentially an anime image board.

Got any more questions?

>Start to enginedev
>Get frustrated
>Give up and just open up GM

Also, how do I do lighting in gamemaker?

m*t*d*n

I think that's another anatomy problem; eyes have "light" in them because irises are surprisingly shiny.

Her eyes are also focused oddly; she's looking at the camera, but not where the camera should be. She's got a thousand-yard stare when her eyes should be crossing ever so slightly to look at the somewhat close camera.

>SourceNigga
wheres ur game

thanks for help

I guess that would fix it

This shitposter has never made a game. Don't listen to his ""advice"". He is a nodev from steamchat. Do NOT feed the animals.

Do u feel like u are wasting your time on gamedev?

no i feel that way when i see your progress

yes

I don't hope to make any money out of it, so no.

Waiting for the boogeyman hitler to go to bed finally so eurodaggy can have a nice peacefull afternoon

>This shitposter has never made a game. Report all his posts giving this horrible garbage """""""advice"""""".

>I want to do thing
>GameMaker: Here's some tutorials
>Unity: Here's some tutorials, also check out this thing in the store
>Unreal: Check the marketplace

why

pull the trigger senpai

>tfw there are Venezuelans here

I think you meant
>GameMaker: Here's some tutorials on something totally unrelated
>Unity: Check the marketplace and upgrade to the Pro version pls
>Unreal: Here's a code block that adds two ints together. figure the rest out yourself fag

this looks uncanny because it's western trash

this looks fine because it's just 3d anime

3d anime doesn't look uncanny you idiots

>Implying anime isn't uncanny in the first place

i feel like im wasting time replying to ur post instead

>i-its anime so it doesnt count!!!

im telling you man, it's only "uncanny" because it's fukken not good

>uncanny reaction image
nicely chosen

I feel like I'm wasting my life every minute I'm NOT spending on game dev.

it's not uncanny because the motion capture was competently done and the things they can't mocap like eyes and clothes are animated properly

All I have left is gamedev.
This guy's got the right idea.

>LA Noire isnt uncanny valley as fuck
youre joking right?

Honestly, you might as well at least prototype in GM before even considering your own engine, and then ONLY if you're doing something performance intensive or going against the grain of how GM works in some painful way

My time is worthless

Do NOT listen to this shitposter! He has N E V E R made a game! We have to oust the outsiders. Report and hide nodevs! Name and shame nodevs!

Only because I'm getting absolutely nowhere and don't know how to change that

have you spent too much time looking at your own weirdo animations? la noire isn't disturbing at all

i think you're just being a false-flagging faggot. you're not the real googem at all

www.strawpoll.me/10844626/
www.strawpoll.me/10859848/
www.strawpoll.me/10859490/
www.strawpoll.me/10861297/

there is a way

Go to bed

>have you spent too much time looking at your own weirdo animations?
how would my completely unrealistic art have any effect on my comprehension of uncanny valley creepiness.
would be better to ask yourself when's the last time you saw a real human being if you dont find LA Noire's animatronic masks on puppet people not intensely creepy.

why don't you post your games, shitposter

>would be better to ask yourself when's the last time you saw a real human being
yesterday afternoon, then i went to bed minutes later

i woke up about an hour ago

you sound like a false-flagging faggot. which schizophrenic shitter are you actually

gogem because of you this entire thread and half of the previous one became a 3danimu discussion.
Please just go sleeping, you lose either way.
So please just have some dignity and fuckoff.

fuck off danny

Reminder, we now have an svg logo pastebin.com/iafqz627
I cleaned it up some more from last night. It is now normalized to 100, and there's no extra transform in the file.

This. 3D modelling is NOT game dev.

thanks user

low res version of the logo

youtube.com/watch?v=ILacgSf1vck

I think it still exists, this video with edgy DMC guy shows we still have a ways to go imo. The reason it's not often seen anymore is because human characters are stylised even in very small ways for the most part these days (lack of a push for realistic skin is one that springs to mind).