Unpopular automotive opinions

Unpopular automotive opinions

The huge fins on 1950s cadillacs looked shit house.
While some people say these fins look are "iconic american" all they are is an appropriation of european sports cars styling of the same era

So post the European examples.

I think FWD is objectively superior to RWD

AWD is for cucks. AWD sports cars and their fans are autists.The only exception is in super cars and if you actually live somewhere where it's needed for the majority of the year.

>all they are is an appropriation of european sports cars styling of the same era
[citation needed]

>Europe=fins
No, your confused. They instituted webbed feet designs on cars, not fins.

the 1971 'cuda is ugly as fuck. the reason the are "rare" is because nobody wanted that piece of shit.

And why is that, retard? AWD is the best drivetrain.

Americans stole the tail fin idea from the Europeans.

1956 Jaguar D type.

1955 bristol

1953 prototype porsche

Yeah because that is the same.

Still the fins on european cars is where they got the idea from.

Thought they got the fins because it looked like they came from aircraft

Landbarge fins and racing fins have nothing to do with each other. Racing car fins improve airflow and stability, landbarge fins make absolute no practical sense like pretty much all styling cues on American cars of the era, it's all looks. Apparently it's got something to do with the space craze of the time.

But this is wrong.

Racing car fins are what inspired the fins on cadillacs that were more decorative.

I am having trouble sourcing information right now though.

There was a european car that had tail fins with even chrome and ornamentation fitted to them way before cadillac was doing it.

I learned about it in a documentary I just can't for the life of me think of that cars name.

Tanks Preston Tucker

No, its more of a small european roadster that I am thinking of.

I think smaller engines making more power is lame and would rather have a 440 mopar from a motorhome than a 600hp turboed v6

>an appropriation of european sports cars styling of the same era
This is just a lie.

Found the retard britbong who thinks they started the fin trend with a ugly as shit car like that

I agree, true sports cars are rear wheel drive.

>1955 bristol
>
>1948 - first american car with tail fins

Yeah, they obviously just did it for aesthetics.

kinda think that would look better without fins but it would be like cutting the fin off a dolphin and make me feel bad

Travis barker has one with the fins cut off.

mercedes benz ponton? breddy sure the americans were there first.
as said it was to do with the rocket craze

>European sports cars is what inspired Caddy to put on fins on their cars
How about no. This was an era in the US during the Jet Age, and GM was heavily inspired by Jets at the time. The GM Firebird concept cars is a prime example of this Jet inspired design, not GM stole European ideas bullshit.

Firebird 1

Firebird 2

Firebird 3

between about 1945 and 1973 americans didn't give a single fuck about what was happening in the rest of the world

We still don't either

(You)